Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12 Demo Impressions Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    So far I've racked up over 5,000 XP.

Really enjoying the demo.

Either I SUCK and/or Putting is hard as hell. I've missed no telling how many 10 ft < putts its driving me nuts. I've shot anywhere from -3 to +3 depending on how many tap in approach shots I was able to hit.

Anyone have any putting suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Either I SUCK and/or Putting is hard as hell. I've missed no telling how many 10 ft < putts its driving me nuts. I've shot anywhere from -3 to +3 depending on how many tap in approach shots I was able to hit.

Anyone have any putting suggestions?
    Putting is pretty tough because the ball's path is so prone to alteration based on small tweaks left or right when you use the analog stick. I've really had trouble sinking putts that require significant placement to either side of the hole. The best bet for me, as you said, was lining up good approach shots so that the putts aren't too tough.

Kudos for the -3 score; my best score is -1 so far.

Putting: Your Caddie gives the aiming point, try to place your arrow into the center of the circle your caddie outlined and go from there. I also thought that the pressure moment was interesting. I found myself in a sitation where a ran out of juice which resulted in me having to make the putt blind with no putter meter bar to show. Has anyone else experienced this?

Quote Originally Posted by natcret View Post
    Putting: Your Caddie gives the aiming point, try to place your arrow into the center of the circle your caddie outlined and go from there.
    Aiming is fairly straightforward, but if you're even just a little bit off center when moving the analog stick it's real easy for the ball to miss. Not saying it's a bad thing at all, since putting shouldn't be easy.

I also thought that the pressure moment was interesting. I found myself in a sitation where a ran out of juice which resulted in me having to make the putt blind with no putter meter bar to show. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I've had this happen a few times as well. Typically what I do is go back to the caddie view and then back to shooting mode, which brings the putter meter back on very briefly. It at least allows a better sense of the power necessary for the putt.

Looks like the "Road to The Masters" bit in the demo is somewhat pre-scripted depending on how well you play the hole as Tiger. In the three times I've played that prologue, I've made the green in two shots each time. On the third shot putt, I swing to putt and the game automatically switches to the cutscene every time. A little predetermined there.

Anybody experiment with not making it to the green in two shots to see what happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    Looks like the "Road to The Masters" bit in the demo is somewhat pre-scripted depending on how well you play the hole as Tiger. In the three times I've played that prologue, I've made the green in two shots each time. On the third shot putt, I swing to putt and the game automatically switches to the cutscene every time. A little predetermined there.

Anybody experiment with not making it to the green in two shots to see what happens then?
    It is an intial tutorial to introduce the game. You will make the shots not matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by natcret View Post
    It is an intial tutorial to introduce the game. You will make the shots not matter what you do.
    Wow... I kinda feel like a jackass now haha. Totally thought that you had to play those shots legit. Just tried it again and even if I tried to shorten up swings to throw it off, the shots were still made at 97% or so. That's kind of silly.

Side note: when you initially do Quick Play in the demo and choose the "Tiger 12 Demo Player", he has 10's across the board for Power, Accuracy, Control, and Putting. After playing the demo a whole bunch, now he has 97 Power, 97 Accuracy, 97 Control, and 98 Putting after I put up my first -3 on TPC San Antonio. Anybody else see this yet? I'm at 6050 XP, so I don't think I've maxed out the XP or anything.

I'm out of town until Saturday but not free til Sunday, so I can't wait til I can get some time with the demo.

Oh my god, my golfer is going to kill from day one. I am about to top 10,000 XP with 3 weeks still until release day. If you want extremely easy XP from the demo, keep playing Road to the Masters, but skip the Prologue. It throws you right into TPC San Antonio.

I just finished yet another, of many, RTTM mode at TPC SA, had 5 birdies, add in 4 FIR, 5 GIR, and 2 close approaches, to go along with the 750 XP Event Winnings, in a matter of maybe 5 minutes, I've added yet another 1,336 XP to my XP Bank.

Unless there is a limit to how much XP you can earn in the demo, if you did TPC SA through RTTM mode even maybe 3 times a day, every day, you could have easily 50,000-70,000+ XP built up by release day.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Unless there is a limit to how much XP you can earn in the demo, if you did TPC SA through RTTM mode even maybe 3 times a day, every day, you could have easily 50,000-70,000+ XP built up by release day.
    It does seem like it'll be fairly easy to build up a lot of XP for Day 1 retail based on demo experience so far. Haven't heard or read anything about there being a limit to how much XP you can earn or how much XP will transfer from the demo to the retail yet, so I'm guessing people who play the demo a bunch will be among the world leaders come March 29th.

Hopefully if somebody does "hit the ceiling" and can't earn more XP, they'll chime in here.

The demo hasn't fully downloaded for me yet. I started it Tuesday, but didn't get on the PS3 at all lastnight. I'll get on to tonight to finish it up.

I just shot a -4 and should have been -5 but I hit the putt short.

I guess it's different for different people. I was able to download it in about 5 mins.

I put it on TOUR PRO and INSANE, makes it HARD. I shot 5 over on my first hole. Then went birde, par, par.

I haven't played it much but I like it so far...would like to know how to zoom in to see my projected landing spot on the fairway/green....

I switched the swing from left to RIGHT analog and that helps me a lot.

I like that on TOUR PRO and INSANE it's difficult. I like golf to be HARD!

So far...GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    I guess it's different for different people. I was able to download it in about 5 mins.

I put it on TOUR PRO and INSANE, makes it HARD. I shot 5 over on my first hole. Then went birde, par, par.

I haven't played it much but I like it so far...would like to know how to zoom in to see my projected landing spot on the fairway/green....

I switched the swing from left to RIGHT analog and that helps me a lot.

I like that on TOUR PRO and INSANE it's difficult. I like golf to be HARD!

So far...GREAT!
    For the 360, you zoom in using the left stick. While in zoom mode you can rotate the view 360 degrees. Also, while in zoom mode, pressing X allows you to select the old chip, flop, punch, and regular shots.

does it save my exp each time I play?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachdenz View Post
    does it save my exp each time I play?
    Yes it does. As long as you play with the demo player and not Tiger Woods (if playing just random rounds and not doing the Road to the Masters portion of the demo) it will save all of the exp you earn every time you play.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yes it does. As long as you play with the demo player and not Tiger Woods (if playing just random rounds and not doing the Road to the Masters portion of the demo) it will save all of the exp you earn every time you play.
    do you see a total of overall exp? it starts over for me each and and I use the demo player.
    thank!

do you see a total of overall exp? it starts over for me each and and I use the demo player.
    If you go to "Quick Play" in the demo and then go to "Invite Friends & Earn XP", you can see your overall XP earned in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Just got to 11,558 XP personally. Really starting to wonder if there will be a cap of how much XP you can transfer from the demo, as there will be a lot of high-powered players on Day 1 if every XP point transfers fully.

If you go to "Quick Play" in the demo and then go to "Invite Friends & Earn XP", you can see your overall XP earned in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Just got to 11,558 XP personally. Really starting to wonder if there will be a cap of how much XP you can transfer from the demo, as there will be a lot of high-powered players on Day 1 if every XP point transfers fully.
    theres gotta be a cap.

theres gotta be a cap.
    Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread. If you do the RTTM mode 3 times a day, every single day until release, you could potentially have anywhere from 50,000-70,000 XP by release day. There's got to be a cap on there somewhere to keep that from happening.