Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: For All The Star Wars Nerds Out There

• Facebook
  • Display

For All The Star Wars Nerds Out There

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Comp...4435423&sr=8-1

Pre-ordered mine already... absolutely pumped.

Probably going to wait until I find more details on the extras. Don't want to pay for just a Blu-ray version of the DVDs I already have.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

My Star Wars nerdness seems to have worn off after stomaching the new trilogy. I do think the Star Wars movies are more popular when you are younger. I won't be getting the Blu Ray versions unless my kids become fans.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Not self respecting Star Wars nerd would want those three shitty prequels...

RotS was quality (well, except for a few scenes), so I'd be willing to get the original trilogy plus RotS. It's the extras that'll decide if I even get this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    RotS was quality (well, except for a few scenes), so I'd be willing to get the original trilogy plus RotS. It's the extras that'll decide if I even get this at all.
    Yeah I could care less about episodes I and II. But I did like Sith. I'd have to rank them Jedi, Empire, Sith, New Hope, Clone, Phantom.

5,4,6,1,3,2 are my order

5, 6, 4--ginormous gap--3, 2, 1 are my order

4,5,6 ... and 4 and 5 are close. 3's decently close to 6 ... I've liked RotJ a lot less as I've grown older. And RotS was practically everything I wanted from the prequels, minus a few scenes.

4 and 5 are definitely close for me too. Easily the two best in the franchise. I do like Jedi but the Ewoks are the big negative for me. Kids might like them but they are a downgrade in my ratings because of it.

So what does everyone think caused 1,2, and 3 to be so bad? The special effects are great, the fight scenes are awesome, the story lines are decent... but they just don't feel right.

For me I think it's the fact that they are not the originals. I think there is just too much difference between the style of movies. I think if he would have made the same movies but did them back in the early 80s they would have been a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    So what does everyone think caused 1,2, and 3 to be so bad? The special effects are great, the fight scenes are awesome, the story lines are decent... but they just don't feel right.

For me I think it's the fact that they are not the originals. I think there is just too much difference between the style of movies. I think if he would have made the same movies but did them back in the early 80s they would have been a lot better.
    What he said.

Not enough space. Too much land based blah.

That, and they couldn't have possibly chosen a worse actor to play Anakin.

How can three movies named Star Wars, barely have anything in space for all three of them? I mean, A New Hope has more space happenings than all three the prequels combined.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Not enough space. Too much land based blah.

That, and they couldn't have possibly chosen a worse actor to play Anakin.

How can three movies named Star Wars, barely have anything in space for all three of them? I mean, A New Hope has more space happenings than all three the prequels combined.
    Hayden Christen's performance in episode II has to be the worst acting performance in the history of movies. I just can't stomach watching that movie because of him.

I think a big reason the new trilogy failed to impress me is that the technology got so good. Lucas could finally make the movie that matched his imagination so he spent all of his time just thinking of tons of ships he could make (and sell as toys) and put all his energy into CGI and the action scenes. The old movies has old school technology so he was forced to spend more time on the characters and dialogue and they ended up better. Seriously, what character was good in the new trilogy? I didn't like Ewan McGregor at all and Hayden Christenson sucks as Annakin. That really hurt the movie. The original characters, particularly Han Solo, were so much more interesting.

Rudy what are you talking about? This is some of the best acting that I've seen - "they're like animals, and I slaughter them like animals"

The funny thing is I don't think he's a terrible actor but he did do a terrible job in these movies. I honestly think it was too much pressure for him. I don't know if anyone has seen Jumper but his acting skills were nowhere near as bad as here.

I liked Jumper despite it's 6% Rotten Tomatoes rating at the time. I agree that Hayden didn't do a bad job in that movie although he'll never be known as a great actor. He was really bad in episode 2 because I think it was his first acting gig. Combine that with horrible George Lucas dialogue and you get one of the worst all time performances.

It's funny that many consider Empire Strikes Back to be the best movie and Lucas had very little to do with that movie. In fact he considers it a complete failure because the director went way over budget (I think it ended up costing $30 million and was supposed to be $20 million).

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    It's funny that many consider Empire Strikes Back to be the best movie and Lucas had very little to do with that movie. In fact he considers it a complete failure because the director went way over budget (I think it ended up costing $30 million and was supposed to be $20 million).
    Makes perfect sense in my mind. The writing was by far the best in Empire when compared to the other 5.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    wat?

The story of I and II couldn't compare to the originals. III was good ... it deserved the Star Wars label, II did ... once the Genosis scenes started ... and I did not, at all. Duel of the Fates is the only redeeming thing about Episode I.

I made the argument years ago that Episode I would have been a good, but not great, movie if it hadn't been a "Star Wars" movie. If the Original Trilogy had never been released, then Episode I would have been considered much better than it was. The primary problem for I was the level of expectations. It could never have reached the level we wanted it to.

The other problem with the Prequel Trilogy, imo, is that George Lucas directed all three. I don't believe Empire would have been nearly as good as it was if Kershner had not directed it. I've also wondered if the Prequels would have been better if someone else had written the screenplay based on Lucas's story ... like ESB, again.

Gary Kurtz also left producing the Star Wars movies after ESB. I think that's another reason why ESB was the peak of the series.

EDIT: Can you tell I've thought about this question before?

My two kids (8 and 5) are hooked on all six movies. Growing up with the original trilogy, I couldn't have been more disappointed in Episode 1 when it was released. For me it was bad because of (1) the screenplay was horrible, (2) the acting was lame and (3) Jar Jar Binks. Ugh. I will say that as the other two were released, they got much better each time.

Now after watching all of these 6 movies at various points with my kids (when it's on, I can't help but watch), I've really grown to like Revenge of the Sith, except as mentioned, Hayden Christian really just blew as Anakin.

Back to the original post, I'd really like to own the Blu Rays as well but will probably wait a couple years for it to come down in price.