Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Backbreaker

• Facebook
  • Display

Backbreaker

The demo is out today....anyone with early impressions?

is it available for d/l on PS3? ill get it after my meeting this morning if so

"E"

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOLxCOACH View Post
    is it available for d/l on PS3? ill get it after my meeting this morning if so

"E"
    PS3 will probably be Tuesday. Sony just puts content out once a week, Microsoft does whenever.

I had the chance to play the demo today, with a live stream going and here are my thoughts. If you want to pay 60 dollars for a Arcade Football game then Backbreaker is there for you! The Controls arent smooth as they are in madden, you have to use the RS to pass, The Play art stays on the screen during the play on both sides of the ball, the announcer does not show any enthusiasim at ALL, the Football is Yellow the entire time during the game. Alot of ppl talk about Madden and some of the Flaws it may have, but It is the next best thing to real football! From presentation all the way down to the fans in the stands. Backbreaker doesnt give me the hype as Madden does. When Im on Madden Im always hollaring Lets Go and with back breaker i cant get hyped for it. The Players are Big and Bulky No cheerleaders, IMO its a terrible game. I have been hearing about this game so much on the ea forums and I guess I can say you really dont know what you have with Madden until you play Backbreaker. The Left Stick controls the camera and if you hit it while you press A to hike the ball, your screwed. Terrible Game Not buying it. Ill stick to Madden!

this is what i was afraid of... from the very start of BB... arcade... a la... Blitz...

always seemed like a huge hit-fest... they made the game all about the "tackle"... and not about the "game" itself...

i will prob still try it... but... L...O...L... at all the goons on "another site" that will be so pissed when they get to play a physics based game and it sucks... emoticon_sly.gif

"E"

Since I can't dl today (PS3) I went over to OS and read some of the impressions. I was surprised to see that they were mostly positive. Of course, everyone loves new games at first...time will tell.

Yeah I'll have to download this after I get off work. I've seen enough proof that this is probably going to be okay to play here and there, but will not have any lasting power. Embargo on any reviews til release, devs giving up on the forums back in early 2009....there are some positives with the tiered franchise system and such....but if the game is taxing to just get through, I sure as hell wouldn't want to do multiple seasons. I'll definitely give the demo a shot, and then wait for it to drop to $15....Amazon's starting price point is $44.99, so that may not take long.

Just set it to download on XBL site.

Played through some of the tutorial, some Tackle Alley, and an Exhibition.

I think it's a fun game and has fun aspects. It's really tough to try and appreciate what they've done when everything is in the third-person view. (Maybe there's a way to change it, but I didn't look at all.) The Instant Replay is a slight zoomed out version of the third-person view, so you can't go watch the o-line or anything.

What I didn't like: The controls take some getting used to, the camera angle takes some getting used to, the plays are Tecmo Bowl-esque (about 4 for each Run, Pass, Special, Coverage, Balanced, etc), and the CPU logic was iffy at times (going deep on 3rd & inches, not calling timeout as I let clock run near end of half when waiting to punt) but that may have been due to playing on Arcade and Easy difficulty. I noticed that if you run backwards when going towards a defender (go straight at them, then run at 8 o'clock), you can sometimes get them to dive into the air. Seems like the tackle logic makes the CPU think you are breaking away, so they sometimes dive.

Running the ball is pretty fun in the game. That's my favorite aspect. Didn't look at ratings, but noticed my leading rusher was my FB - sure seemed like a good RB when I used him at the time.

I had a sweet PR for TD called back on roughing the kicker. I didn't get to the landing zone in time and the ball bounced over my head. I ran back, grabbed it, made one or two guys miss, threw a stiff arm and went the distance. However, the penalty negated it.

I am missing how to select your defender pre-snap easily. I kept hitting A and cycling through; hopefully there is an easier way. Though, it is a lot of fun to be on the edge or play as a blitzing defender and try to get the QB. Basically, defense is just Player Lock from NCAA Football, so if you like that you will like defense in BB.

I don't know if I'll even bother with the demo. The impressions on OS are suprisingly positive but some people are just trying to like it imo. When someone picked the cpu off about 6 times the guy tried to justify it by saying "Maybe futuristic football games will feature 6 picks a game." C'mon. I'm glad some really like it but that camera is awful. I want a more zoomed out view, not a first person camera. I know I won't be able to adjust.

I love how people are saying give it a chance because this is a brand new engine....no this took about four years for them to even get a releasable game out on this engine. Plus it's not a physics based engine....another myth Backbreaker devs confirmed on Twitter. There should be a Myth Busters episode centered around Backbreaker LOL ... with that said, going to finally fire up the demo for Backbreaker Blitz.

Wow....after playing the demo, I don't know if I even want to pay $10 for it. The only cool thing was defense and tackling, but even then there were some animations that looked horrible. The jerseys look like styrofoam (the jersey of the future?), the player models looked horrible, especially when juking. Instant replay is worthless, so is the presentation. The playbooks look like they were designed on the Atari.

Just playing a half at two minute quarters plus the tutorial made my eyes hurt LOL .... I seriously wanted to give it a chance down the road, but man after playing the demo there is not any way I'd want to play a full game let alone a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
    this is what i was afraid of... from the very start of BB... arcade... a la... Blitz...

always seemed like a huge hit-fest... they made the game all about the "tackle"... and not about the "game" itself...

i will prob still try it... but... L...O...L... at all the goons on "another site" that will be so pissed when they get to play a physics based game and it sucks... emoticon_sly.gif

"E"
    I can't begin to tell you how funny it is that those "goons" thought this was going to be THE game. I mean if you watched any previews, and looked at the play, and then looked at the devs talking about it, and listened to their view of *American* football, hahahahahahahaahaha! You just HAD to know. NCAA just looks better and better from here on though, so that's a positive probably. Nice try BB, but FAIL. :eek: :p

PS. I will be if BB makes it more than 2 or max 3 seasons, with all the upgrades coming to NCAA and Madden recently. Maybe BB's the reason that NCAA put SO MUCH effort in from a gameplay standpoint this season though. So it's probably worth a "thank you for your sacrifice" situation. Oh the irony.

I think the EA haters really want to like BB and will overlook a ton of stuff they normally crucify Madden and EA on. There are a couple of guys that I was debating a bit on twitter a couple months ago. They are very critical of EA saying their games aren't sim and then said they couldn't wait for Tecmo Bowl and Backbreaker. I called them hypocrites. Tecmo and BB won't be close to being sims and they get a free pass? The response was - different goals. I simply said then you should accept Madden/NCAA for what they are and not the supreme standards you demand from them.

Don't get me wrong. There was a lot of stuff I didn't like about NCAA 10 and I consider last year's football gaming season to be the most disappointing to me in 5 years. But I don't think it's fair to hold companies to such different standards. I did this a bit with MLB the Show 10 and MLB 2K10 so I'm a little bit of a hypocrite too. MLB the Show just hasn't changed very much and so it got stale for me. I actually prefer MLB 2K10 over MLB10 this year because it's a nice change of pace. There are so many more things wrong with it but it is fun. It does have some things on it's side that the Show needs to adopt - analog controls, better pitching/batting angles, slower pitch speed (the Show has always been too fast for me even with the slider at 0) and better commentary.
    Last edited by Rudy; 05-22-2010 at 05:26 AM.

I played 2 games. I can honestly say I'll never buy it. I have never seen such a retarded AI in my life. All you have to do is run a go route, let the receiver get down the field, and lob it to him. Guaranteed catch 8 out of 10 times. Also, while playing against the CPU, the CPU threw a combined 7 picks in 2 games. That's probably out of like 15 passes. I'm not a fan of the camera at all, and I absolutely hate it on defense. I hate how it doesn't auto switch you if your team comes up with an interception. It makes me feel as if I have little to no control over the game. Definite no buy from me.

This game looks like a steaming pile. I will play the demo when it drops on PS3, but wow - the vids on youtube look terrible. I'm glad so many on another site like this turd so much. I can honestly say the guys who like it never have anything positive to say about NCAA.

"This engine is in it's infancy." (after 4 years of dev?)

"This shi*s all over anything EA has ever done."

Seriously?

It took 4 years to make THAT?

when i get the demo... ill pick it apart... but from the feedback so far... it wont be hard to do... obviously theres not much there lol

"E"

For a game that's been hyped to death for four years, I was expecting to be blown away. To say I wasn't would be an understatement. The horrible camera angle and the awful controls are the two biggest things that come to mind. Tackle Alley was pretty fun but I sure as heck wouldn't pay 50 bucks just to play that mode. I would give it a 2/10.

It's good to see a realistic view of this game over here.

The presentation on all aspects (menus, playbook layouts, etc.) are absolutely horrible. Using the right stick to switch WR's is okay but not well done, the camera makes this pretty worthless as you really can't see much. Throwing the ball is a crap shoot, there is no trial and error on it, it's more of a coin flip.

The one had tackle animation I was talking about....the defender was leading with his chest with his head and legs pulled back....I'll take a "canned" animation over that crap any day.

The player models are ridiculous. This thing has been in development for so many years and everything from their shoulders all the way down to their ass doesn't even move at ALL in a juke (or at all for that matter)....NCAA got hammered for this, yet Backbreaker has it after years of development.

All of these guys saying this is sooooo great and is making Madden and NCAA look like garbage, let's check their gamertags to see if they're playing in August....hell a month from now for that matter.

I'll give it a few more chances but the games I've played already have made up my mind for the most part that I don't even want to get this at bargain bin price.