Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 11

• Facebook
  • Display

Madden NFL 11

Use this thread to post your thoughts and any news on Madden 11.

OS posted the G4/XPlay Madden First Look video here: http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=414758

Lots of footage of running plays in that video, so it gives a good look at locomotion and the Real Assignment AI. Very solid in my book.

I liked the juke move that CJ put on and the moves seem good but the first thing I thought about on that video was how slow the players looked running the ball. I'm not sure if that's due to a running animation where the legs aren't turning over fast enough or just the slow game speed. At 14 seconds Marion Barber looks like he's been medicated while trying to take the ball outside. I look quicker than him. And soon after the kick return at 22 seconds looks slow, like it takes him almost three seconds to move 10 yards. That kick return is why I think turbo is still a crucial part of the game. When you have open field in front of you, you should be sprinting like mad to get upfield. It's not like a RB who has to keep his pads low through the hole. Again, that might have been recorded on slow game speed which I wasn't a fan of last year (when I had the game).
    Last edited by Rudy; 05-15-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Here are two videos. The first one is of the real Marion Barber. Take a look at two runs - one at 30 seconds and another one at 1:38. These are two similar runs to one he has in Madden where he just tries to get outside. His feet are constantly moving as he's looking to make a move, read, etc.

Now look at the Madden video at 14 seconds where Barber takes it outside. The real Barber takes twice as many steps while the video Barber just looks slow and lethargic. I'm not sure how to fix that exactly but I do think the running animations have to have their leg turn sped up to make it look better. Even Chris Johnson makes a nice move at 1:15 but he gets in the open field and normally you would expect him to take off but it looks like he never moves any faster. There is no burst to try to take it to the house. Video games may never be able to mimic reality properly but this needs to be better imo. Can the community day guys comment on if this is just an over-analysis of a video or whether it feels good in NCAA 11?

I tried to find some NCAA 11 videos to see how this looked. In this one at 55 seconds it looks good although it looks like Russ is trying to make moves so it looks natural.

Last edited by Rudy; 05-15-2010 at 06:58 AM.

OK. I'm convinced that Madden video run with Barber that looked brutally sluggish is a Madden problem and not an NCAA problem. It's either related to the animation or most likely a slow game speed that just looks bad.

I know I sound like one of those idiots that breaks down videos too far (and I normally hate those guys) but I just hated some of those runs in that Madden video and I needed to prove to myself that NCAA 11 would be OK. I think it's perfectly fine.

Barber in that Madden video is as explosive as John Brantley in NCAA 11. Take a look at the VGrevolution video that was a great 10 minute video (gameplay at 3:30 and on) and it showed some nice stuff. Brantley running the QB option at 4:20 looked the same as Barber - slow, sluggish, no agility or acceleration. But you get to see some runs to the outside that look a lot better in NCAA 11 (check 5:07, 8:50 and 10:08). That stuff looked good. Feet were moving quickly and the guys looked dangerous. I know a lot of people thought NCAA 10 was too hectic but I always felt Madden 10 on Slow or Normal were too sluggish. The slower game speeds can look natural when running in traffic but as soon as you hit the open field or try to get to the outside it just looks and feels bad imo.

I couldn't find this video on youtube so you will have to click here:
    http://blip.tv/play/hcZTgdi_VgA%2Em4v
    Last edited by Rudy; 05-15-2010 at 07:00 AM.

I think the Game Speed is what you are seeing, Rudy. NCAA 11's default is 'Normal' while IIRC Madden 10's was 'Slow', so I am assuming 11 will be the same. The slower game speed is more to some's liking, but in videos I think it just looks odd.

I didn't see a lot of a huge 'breakaway' speed like you are talking about in NCAA, but yet I was able to make moves and pull away for big plays. I think it all boils down to the ACC rating and I may not have been using the true burners in the game.

I agree with cdj, that it's Game Speed. Madden on the whole, in that video, looked slower. But I didn't particularly mind that (for the purpose of that video), because that gave me more time to look at the blocking, Locomotion and the like.

havent bought madden in a couple of years, may get it this year. Do believe it looks slow and if its because they are showing the locomotion then im fine with that. I do believe that madden makes a better effort in making a true "sunday" feel of the game.

I don't have time to play both games. I just want NCAA 11 to be great. As long as that's great I won't bother with Madden. If I ever picked Madden up it would have to be later on for cheap (and I don't play online so I wouldn't bother with the online pass).

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I don't have time to play both games. I just want NCAA 11 to be great. As long as that's great I won't bother with Madden. If I ever picked Madden up it would have to be later on for cheap (and I don't play online so I wouldn't bother with the online pass).
    Normally I get both on time, but this year it's looking like I may wait till Madden goes down a price bracket or two. Ncaa looks like what I've hoped for since NG finally, so I should be way too busy playing that. Plus come August I gotta a lot of stuff going on career-wise so I'll be too busy for 2 games I think.

The updates of Madden look intriguing. I will be interested to finally see what a 'major' difference can mean in playing both titles. Before now, they've been relatively side by side from a design standpoint
    Last edited by Jayrah; 05-16-2010 at 05:54 AM.

I will say that I feel like both of these games could greatly benefit from adding a few different "running styles". In the past couple years is has been more and more annoying to me that every player seems to have the same running animation. A shifty quick little 5'8" still has the same long strides as a 6'3" power back & it really frustrates the realisitic looks of the game IMO. I would love to see them add a few different running animations to differentiate between the guys that are long striders & the guys who have shorter choppier footwork.

It was too bad that you couldn't choose the game speed online for franchises (unless I missed something). I was going with the speed that basically matched NCAA, I liked it a lot better than the slower speed.

I don't know why they couldn't let you set the speed online. That really led to a split among the community.

I had Madden 10 for a bit and didn't like any of the camera options they had either. I prefer college football and I want NCAA to be better. I did like the pro-tak last year. The funny thing is I thought the passing speeds in NCAA were crazy fast at times but a little too slow/floaty in Madden. I tried the Slow speed and found it way too slow for my tastes. Fast was my favourite although Normal wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I don't know why they couldn't let you set the speed online. That really led to a split among the community.
    I may be wrong, but I think due to Microsoft (and maybe Sony) regulations to comply with ranked online standards, all ranked games had to be the same so speed could not be set by users, only one norm could be used & accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think due to Microsoft (and maybe Sony) regulations to comply with ranked online standards, all ranked games had to be the same so speed could not be set by users, only one norm could be used & accepted.
    Unfortunately that makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't bet on a change this season

Madden NFL 11 Thread

Many of us have heard, or seen blogs and livechats about some of the new features in Madden11, as one who has had a chance to play the game I'm looking forward to wut ur impressions are once u get it. My question is wut do you think of the things u heard about so far? How well do u think Locomotion will take Madden this yr and yrs to come? Interested to here your feedback

Based on what I've heard so far it seems like it will be better than 10. I would like to hear more about defense especially when it comes to controls, schemes and overall control. I hope that the passing is tuned alittle so that I can place the ball anywhere I want in relation to that players pass ratings.

I haven't really heard much in terms of big change other than game planning. I'm more interested in NCAA 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Based on what I've heard so far it seems like it will be better than 10. I would like to hear more about defense especially when it comes to controls, schemes and overall control. I hope that the passing is tuned alittle so that I can place the ball anywhere I want in relation to that players pass ratings.
    Right now this is a PASS for me. I ust am not impressed by what little they have announced. I thought this would be the year of MAJOR dynasty upgrades but it really seems like no huge announcements are forthcoming. NCAA however has made MASSIVE strides... bring on the demo.

I can remember sitting in the Playtest room waiting to play Madden11, When we all got together in the room with Ian Cummings, we didnt play the game right away he went to the projector screen and gave us a layout of what we were there fore, one of the things that stood out for me was he showed us some drawings that were on a white board that he had posted the picture up along with his blog, right away ppl who read the blog made speculations of what the drawings were, but had NO CLUE that they had nothing to do with Madden11, he stated "I done it for a reason to see what ppl would say"! We cant speculate on what Madden11 will be like but instead, play the demo, and even then give the game a chance. So many times we play the demo to games and it is the total opposite of what we actually play once we buy it! Just because you dont hear the things you wanna hear in the live chat, doesnt mean that its not in the game, if they tell us everything and show it all, there wont be any room for "Hype". I cant tell you what is in the game from what I have played of it, but what I can say is What you see on Sunday you will see in Madden11!