Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Pro Sports Banter

• Facebook
  • Display
    Even as a fan of rugby, AFL is just a bit of a stretch for me.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I'll pay for hockey and baseball long before I'd pay for that

I can't get enough of either one. They need to put rugby in general on TV much more than the occasional match I come across on Saturday and Sunday mornings on BBC America. As for Australian Football League, it's a nice change and happy medium. It's not American football, it's not quite rugby, it's not soccer. It's a nice mix with plenty of hitting, tackling and take downs and plenty of action.

Granted, I'm just plain a sports nut. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, minor league baseball, minor league hockey, college baseball, college football, college basketball, rugby, AFL, college lacrosse, pro lacrosse, tennis, golf, soccer (MLS, EPL, other international leagues like Spanish, German, French, and Italian leagues, World Cup), when it's on tv occasionally some cricket, boxing, MMA, racing (IRL with some NASCAR thrown in), all sorts of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    I'll pay for hockey and baseball long before I'd pay for that
    That's where I'm already good. I have NHL Network on my cable, so I can watch hockey games regularly (may not get to watch every Colorado Avalanche game, but I make do), I have MLB Network on my cable and have an annual subscription with MLB.TV, so I have every Colorado Rockies game covered, as well as all of MLB in general. That just leave Australian Football League, which good old handy ESPN probably won't show a single game of until at least May or June (halfway through the season of course).

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I can't get enough of either one. They need to put rugby in general on TV much more than the occasional match I come across on Saturday and Sunday mornings on BBC America.
    Look for Universal Sports on your cable. They carried a lot more rugby in the last year than anywhere else (and, despite watching BBCA all the time, I didn't realize there was coverage on there).

Deadspin put up a story about the demise of the Seattle Supersonics, viewed from the inside by a former low on the totem pole employee. A pretty interesting read.

http://deadspin.com/5907371/howard-s...le-supersonics

Just watched a 30 for 30 on the USFL this afternoon. Pretty interesting documentary. Anyway I was browsing through sports blogs and read this: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...but-as-an-ally

Not sure how successful it will be but I'm always excited for more football especially if Austin lands a team.

I probably wouldn't follow it too much, at least not to the extent I do the professional sports and college sports, but if Columbus or Akron got a team, I could be tempted to make one or two visits a year just sort of as a weekend getaway to get out of town and do something. And with old friends from college living over near Cleveland, if it was in Akron we'd be able to meet up and catch a game or two and hang out for the weekend.

The only non-NFL professional league that has caught my interest is the All-American Football something or another that started a few years ago, held a draft, and then disappeared without a sound. The premise was that you'd have teams based on states, and it was only guys that had played college football in that state. So you had Chris Leak on Team Florida, for example. Was a neat concept.

The guys on NFL radio questioned why the USFL, UFL, and all these other leagues don't just pool their money. Obviously they disagree somewhere about how the various leagues should be run, but you would think that they'd have the business sense to combine forces.

Houston Dynamo opened their new stadium with a 1-0 win over DC United today. Brad Davis scored from 30+ yards out for the first ever goal in BBVA Compass Stadium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Unbelievable finish at Etihad Stadium. I can't believe what I've witnessed this morning in the Premier League. Unbelieveable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Unbelievable finish at Etihad Stadium. I can't believe what I've witnessed this morning in the Premier League. Unbelieveable!!!

What a last minute collapse by QPR.

What a last minute collapse by QPR.
    I'm still in shock over it. That was amazing. Watching all of this unfold this morning, flipping between games, was as good as it gets in sports. Then to have goals at 90+2 and 90+4 to snatch the title from United - Jesus.

City has a history of letting their fans down. And today appeared to be a letdown of historic proportions. They were the top home side, playing the worst road club. Add to it they were facing Mark Hughes, the manager they fired before hiring Roberto Mancini and that QPR was facing the possibility of relegation. You can't make that shit up. I'm still shocked.

But, mostly, I'm thrilled that United did not win another title.

The most-watched annual sporting event in the world is taking place today in Munich. The Final of the UEFA Champions League is at 1:45 PM Central, and I can't wait.

The game features Bayern Munich of the German Bundesliga and Chelsea of the English Premier League. The game, by chance (site is determined years in advance), is at Bayern's home ground. That's a first in CL history.

Chelsea has had a crazy season. Their 6th place finish in the Premier League means they didn't qualify for any European competitions next year through league play. However, they did qualify for the Europa League by winning the FA Cup 2 weeks ago. Obviously, a win today would qualify them for next year's Champions League, which is much more important than the Europa.

Should be fun to watch (it's on FOX, by the way). I hope Chelsea can complete this improbable run and secure their first European Cup!

Damn, all this soccer is making me want to buy FIFA 12, even though I'd only get 4 months of playtime out of it before turning right around and buying FIFA 13.

I almost forgot to mention that today's winner also qualifies for the FIFA Club World Cup this December in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I hope Chelsea can complete this improbable run and secure their first European Cup!

I honestly would have never pegged you for a futbol fan, steeler, and you continue to amaze me with all you write about it.

I honestly would have never pegged you for a futbol fan, steeler, and you continue to amaze me with all you write about it.
    I've become a pretty big one myself. I was already a good bit of a soccer fan, especially getting very much into the World Cup whenever it was on (it didn't take much for me to cheer, yell and scream at the TV during USA's games in this last World Cup.

Since upgrading cable last July and getting access to Fox Soccer Channel (and taking part in Streak for the Cash on ESPN, which has soccer props every single day of the week that there's a soccer match being played somewhere), I'm watching soccer all the time now.

Still trying to figure out which EPL team I'm going to "become a fan of" and follow and root for on a week to week basis.

Still trying to figure out which EPL team I'm going to "become a fan of" and follow and root for on a week to week basis.
    I will not ever actively follow them, but the only EPL (or in this case, nPower Championship) team I will pay any attention to is Nottingham Forest. I assume the reasons do not need to be stated.

I will not ever actively follow them, but the only EPL (or in this case, nPower Championship) team I will pay any attention to is Nottingham Forest. I assume the reasons do not need to be stated.
    Nope, you're good there.

On an unrelated note, in horse racing, holy crap! For the second time in two weeks, I'll Have Another makes a sprint down the stretch, overtakes Bodemeister (who has led the race the entire time since the gate) in the final 100 yards, and wins at the line, by 1 1/2 lengths in the Kentucky Derby and now by a neck in the Preakness. I have a feeling Belmont Stakes is going to be equally insane.