Page 50 of 142 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2833

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    This could be good. Double Dragon Neon on PS3 & XBLA this September.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

While I disagree with Austin's generalizing about games to play games, I will say that it is sometimes amusing to see games created where you have to question what they were thinking the target audience would be in the first place. For example, let's think of paintball. One of the main reasons you play paintball in real life is that you can't go out shooting people in real life -- well, without the cops visiting you shortly. Video game guns are not lethal. You don't have to worry about killing someone in a video game. So what, pray tell, is the advantage of a paintball FPS over a "regular" FPS?

I've wondered about that for years, ever since I saw it raised a question when someone noticed that a common Quake mod was to turn it into paintball.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Just say no to 40 straight hours of video games:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...190451985.html

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

What a shit game to die from playing too.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post

What a shit game to die from playing too.

LOL it reminded me of me and my good friend my 2nd year of lawschool and his 1st year of lawschool (he smartly decided to drop out after the 1st year) in St. Louis. NCAA 06 we both played the game at my place taking turns in a 2 team dynasty for an entire weekend. The difference: we took breaks for meals, stretch, walk the dogs and probably most importantly brief "naps".

Every time I read a story like that, I have to wonder how they can even game for that long at once. The most I've done at one time in the past 5 years is probably 3 hours. I'm not talking 3 hours, eat for 20, then come back for another 3 hours, either. I mean play for 3 hours and then be done for the day. 40 hours in a row...I can't even comprehend. I would be bored as hell.

How do you even go 40 hours without eating? I love my food WAY too much to even go 4 or 5 hours without eating something...let alone 40. Jesus.

Ahhhh nothing going on tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night, Sunday, or Sunday night....gonna be a gaming marathon, but I won't pull like that dude who died playing Diablo III, I have to get up to get beer.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Ahhhh nothing going on tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night, Sunday, or Sunday night....gonna be a gaming marathon, but I won't pull like that dude who died playing Diablo III, I have to get up to get beer.

With the recent announcement of forthcoming NCAA patches, this article from Ars Technica came with good timing. Most of the article is an interesting rant on the whole process of Microsoft patching (and the Reader Comments are particularly amusing). But if nothing else, this reference is worth pointing out:
    So rather than pay Microsoft "such a large sum of money" to approve a new patch that would fix the small issue (Double Fine's Tim Schaefer pegged the cost of submitting an Xbox 360 patch at $40,000 in an interview with Hookshot Inc. earlier this year), Fish has decided to put the initial, slightly error-prone patch back up on Microsoft's servers.
    The Schaefer interview can be read here. And here's the context of the $40,000 statement:
    “But the indie community is now moving elsewhere; we’re figuring out how to fund and distribute games ourselves, and we’re getting more control over them. Those systems as great as they are, they’re still closed. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can’t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can’t afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that’s where it’s at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That’s where people are going.”
    The one item worth pointing out is that the context doesn't make it clear if the 40k includes hours spent on work, or is the fee to M$ for the patch alone.

With the recent announcement of forthcoming NCAA patches, this article from Ars Technica came with good timing. Most of the article is an interesting rant on the whole process of Microsoft patching (and the Reader Comments are particularly amusing). But if nothing else, this reference is worth pointing out:
    So rather than pay Microsoft "such a large sum of money" to approve a new patch that would fix the small issue (Double Fine's Tim Schaefer pegged the cost of submitting an Xbox 360 patch at $40,000 in an interview with Hookshot Inc. earlier this year), Fish has decided to put the initial, slightly error-prone patch back up on Microsoft's servers.
    The Schaefer interview can be read here. And here's the context of the $40,000 statement:
    “But the indie community is now moving elsewhere; we’re figuring out how to fund and distribute games ourselves, and we’re getting more control over them. Those systems as great as they are, they’re still closed. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can’t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can’t afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that’s where it’s at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That’s where people are going.”
    The one item worth pointing out is that the context doesn't make it clear if the 40k includes hours spent on work (probably not, in my opinion, unless the work was done by very few people, very quickly), or is the fee to M$ for the patch alone.

Wonder how many will jump at the Ouya box thing as a result of things like that.

Hah...this is pretty cool.

Steve Wozniak secretly submitted Tetris scores to Nintendo Power

Aside from his tech eminence having helped found Apple, Steve Wozniak is apparently also a pretty sick Tetris player. He only plays the original Game Boy port, and admits he submitted his scores to Nintendo Power back in the day.

"I was always #1 in the Nintendo Power listings in 1988, and after they said my name had been in there too many times and wouldn't print it again, I spelled my name backwards (Evets Kainzow) and sent in a photo of my score," Wozniak said in a comment on a Gizmodo piece about him. "When I got the magazine, I'd forgotten doing this and was worried that a foreigner from the next city over (I used Saratoga instead of Los Gatos so they wouldn't catch on) had a score up in my range. I got worried but then remembered my joke. Whew! It's in some old issue of Nintendo Power magazine."

Reddit user polar0ids was quick to call Woz's bluff, but it (unsurprisingly) turns out to be a true story. As seen here in this thread, the story checks out. There's Evets Kainzow's score: 546,145 points.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Every time I read a story like that, I have to wonder how they can even game for that long at once. The most I've done at one time in the past 5 years is probably 3 hours. I'm not talking 3 hours, eat for 20, then come back for another 3 hours, either. I mean play for 3 hours and then be done for the day. 40 hours in a row...I can't even comprehend. I would be bored as hell.

How do you even go 40 hours without eating? I love my food WAY too much to even go 4 or 5 hours without eating something...let alone 40. Jesus.
    i pulled a 12 hour marathon of halo at a church lock-in once. but even then, i got up at some point during the night, walked around, had some food. but i can see that being easier to do as you have other people playing right next to you.....and not just playing by yourself.

If you were an old school Tony Hawk video game fan of the past, definitely get THPS HD. I'm having an absolute blast with it.

I even had a moment...I was wondering why I couldn't manual off of a pipe...that wasn't introduced until reverts were added in THPS 3 (which coincidentally will be future DLC for this title).

It's only out on XBLA right now, Q3 for PS3 and PC.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Yeah. Amazing as that show is, it's REALLY poor written sometimes...

TGT Rugby League anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    TGT Rugby League anyone?
    Uhm, fuck yeah I'd be game!

Snoop and I played some Payday: The Heist last night, had a great time, but we need a couple more guys to get a full co-op team of bank robbers. It's $10 in the PSN store.

It's basically a bank robbing version of Left 4 Dead, then I just saw, there is going to be a Left 4 Dead crossover DLC!

Even better news. This DLC came out the other day and it is FREE.