Page 43 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Absolutely love that game. Wish they'd make a sequel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    It's a trophy whore's paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    It's a trophy whore's paradise.
    I think it was my first platinum. But outside of that it was a blast to play with friends.

i miss crash mode from burnout revenge. i liked causing 20-30 car pile-ups.

Finally got around to playing the Ghost Recon MP beta. I'm pleased with the gameplay, and I'm not a big MP shooter fan. Conflict is pretty fun and guys were working together nicely without hardly any comms in the games I played. The servers did fail a couple other games though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Kerbal Space Program

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
    been playing the past 2 days thinking of buying.

Absolutely love that game. Wish they'd make a sequel.
    I'm fully expecting a sequel to come sometime soon. They obviously love that franchise at Criterion, and I don't think their NFS game sold enough for them to move solely over to NFS.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
    been playing the past 2 days thinking of buying.
    Same here. It's a fun little game. Took 7 tries, but I finally was able to reach the moon. I couldn't achieve lunar orbit, but was able to make a pass around on my orbit back to earth before eventually splashing down in the ocean. Next time I get around to playing it again, time to try for lunar orbit.

I can't make it to the moon

Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
    I can't make it to the moon
    What you want to do is build a two stage rocket. The first stage, stack on enough fuel to have a continuous burn from liftoff until you're over 85,000 meters up, about the time the fuel should die off. Your speed will continue to carry you well over 100,000 meters. Once you hit over 100,000 meters, blow the decoupler to jettison stage one, and turn your rocket until your sitting less then 10 degrees above the horizon, as close to the horizon as you can get.

Burn stage two until your orbit around the earth reaches far enough out into space that it will intersect with the moon's orbit. As soon as it intersects the moon's orbit, kill your thrust and shut down your engines. Don't blow the decoupler because you'll need the left over fuel for a later burn, or else you'll never make it back to earth. Unless you time everything perfectly, it will probably take multiple orbit around the earth but eventually you get close enough to the moon to be caught in it's gravity. Then it's just a matter of a couple quick burns to tighten up your orbit and officially shift from a geosynchronous orbit to a lunar orbit.

Here's a video on how to get an orbit around earth.

These two videos will show you sort of what to do to reach the moon.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 04-30-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Wow. That shit sounds SUPER complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    It actually somewhat is. For as simple as that game looks, especially with the plain graphics and whatnot, it does turn somewhat complicated when you try to start doing multiple things. When trying to reach the moon, the first 5 times, I burned my engines for too long, even just for a matter of seconds with too much thrust, and reached escape velocity, sending my three guys on a one way trip to death out in space as they rocketed towards the edges of the solar system.

Even the rockets can become very large and complicated once you start trying to build them with a specific goal in mind, like reaching the moon or even attempting to land on the moon. Just getting into a geosynchronous orbit, you'll need a ton of fuel to not only reach space, but then do the necessary burns to reach orbit and not eventually fall back to earth. If you want to go for the moon, you'll need a LOT of stuff. My most recent rocket to reach the moon was a three stage rocket, with the first stage being 15 fuel tanks and three engines hooked up to a tri-coupler. A decoupler above that to jettison them when they all run out of fuel between 80,000 and 95,000 meters. Above that decoupler is my stage 2, where I have three fuel tanks and a second engine to get me into orbit or make an attempt for the moon, and have enough fuel left over to eventually put myself in position to return to earth. Above the top fuel tank, I have another decoupler, and then my cockpit for the astronauts. So when I eventually come back to earth, I can blow the final three fuel tanks and one engine and just have the cockpit with a parachute on top for reentry.

This is fucking brilliant if you ask me, someone should get a bonus.

Exclusive: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle launching next week with two-year subscription

Microsoft is planning to launch a $99 Xbox console package with a monthly subscription as early as next week, according to our sources. The software giant will offer the 4GB console with a Kinect sensor at its range of Microsoft Stores in the US, subsidized with a monthly cost of $15. We're told that the two-year subscription will provide access to the Xbox Live Gold service and possibly some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers. Customers who sign-up for the deal will also be covered under a two-year warranty.

There will be an early termination fee for those wishing to break the contract ahead of its two-year duration, and we understand that Microsoft will position the package as a competitor to Apple TV, Roku, and PlayStation 3. For those buying the bundle now and getting the cheapest two-year Xbox Live Gold option, that's about $299.00 + $120 = $420 vs. $459 over a duration of two years. With E3 2012 on the horizon, and Microsoft working on a "Woodstock" music service — it's clear that the company wants to ensure as many people as possible have an Xbox in their living rooms.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/2/299...sidized-bundle

That is quite brilliant... that's how cell phone companies are making so much money. Will be interesting if a similar model is introduced by both developers next gen.

It's kind of nice for those who don't have the ability to get the console upfront with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    It's rocket science.

It's kind of nice for those who don't have the ability to get the console upfront with all that.
    Plus, other services have essentially proven that offering a recurring subscription that people tend to forget to cancel usually nets more subscribers in the long run.

Oh lord.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B007XUQXL0

NBA Baller Beats (Xbox 360)

Product Features

NBA Baller Beats is a fun, high-energy, first-of-its kind basketball video game for Kinect that is unlike any sports video game on the market.

The game is extremely innovative; it requires you to actively play using a real basketball (which is included free with the game)!

Aspire to perform like a pro as you master ball-handling skills.

The music acts as your guide as you bounce the ball to the beats of a slamming soundtrack.

Features an eclectic mix of music across decades and genres, from hip-hop to rock to old school classics.

http://kotaku.com/5907735/how-mlb-2k...ed-to-cheating

Lol, and people like to trash EA because of bugs and oversights in their games. At least their bugs and oversights won't potentially cost you a million dollars like 2K's will.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Oh lord.
    Obviously, I am not in the target audience. However, that's one of the best uses of Kinect I've seen yet. And at least they're not trying to have you use the ball competitively, which is my major fear with Kinect/motion gaming.

For the basketball skills thing, and for people in the target audience, I'll agree, it's definitely one of the best uses of Kinect. I think probably my most facepalm-worthy moment is the whole music part of it. Just have it be a basketball skills thing. Companies are really trying to overkill the whole "slamming soundtrack" music as part of the game thing with every single game.

Eh, I see your point, but I think without the music and the interplay of the movements and music, why don't you just go outside and practice your moves? I still think you're better off going outside versus playing this game, but the music is the only thing that's really there as a hook.