Page 40 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    It would, yes. It would also probably put Gamestop out of business, or at the very least, put a huge hurt on them.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    It would, yes. It would also probably put Gamestop out of business, or at the very least, put a huge hurt on them.
    Meh Gamestop already should be out of business. Their prices are FAR too high compared to their competitors (box stores like Wal-Mart and online like Amazon). Their stores are disorganized (or at least the ones I have been to in the past 5 years) and their employees are generally unhelpful and in some cases down right dishonest.

I still say there is no way in hell Sony or Microsoft would make a console that prevents playing used games. No way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I still say there is no way in hell Sony or Microsoft would make a console that prevents playing used games. No way.

Yeah because there would be no way for me to take a copy of a game over to a friends house and play or show him the game.

I'd say there's a very good chance. They're not seeing money from it, so it wouldn't hurt them to abolish used games. Gamestop may not stock their next console, but Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, and all the other huge retailers certainly will. It makes sense for Sony and Microsoft to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Yeah because there would be no way for me to take a copy of a game over to a friends house and play or show him the game.
    Depending on how it were setup, you may be able to go to this (imaginary) friend's house and sign in to your PSN account and access the full game that way.

Other than that, you could take your system to his house. Which is very convenient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

They're not seeing money from it, so it wouldn't hurt them to abolish used games.
    The only money Sony or MS would be losing would be the console/services (ie XBL) sales to people who quit gaming altogether because there is no used market. However, I believe that would be an insignificant number if the game manufacturers were sharing their additional profits with them.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Depending on how it were setup, you may be able to go to this (imaginary) friend's house and sign in to your PSN account and access the full game that way.

Other than that, you could take your system to his house. Which is very convenient.

Hey now leave the imaginary friends out of this.

Honestly, I'll be upset (not b/c I buy allot of used games). Rather, I RENT a ton of games from GameFly that I would never purchase but mess around with for a few days and if I really like the game I end up buying it (Uncharted series as an example)

To be honest, I've wondered why game companies don't just sell game discs for a minimal fee (like $5 to cover costs associated with the actual disc) and then force you to buy a $55 Online Pass type key to unlock it (either at a store or through download). That would end the used market immediately. In addition, they could have a temporary key that you could download for rentals (Gamefly could provide you the disc for a small fee and the manufacturer makes a few bucks for selling you a key for a few days to play it).

It was a hypothetical situation.

To be honest, I've wondered why game companies don't just sell game discs for a minimal fee (like $5 to cover costs associated with the actual disc) and then force you to buy a $55 Online Pass type key to unlock it (either at a store or through download). That would end the used market immediately. In addition, they could have a temporary key that you could download for rentals (Gamefly could provide you the disc for a small fee and the manufacturer makes a few bucks for selling you a key for a few days to play it).

That's essentially how we sell our software. The disks anyone can get but it's the key that you are technically purchasing.

However with this model there are some pretty easy ways to generate keys and the opportunity for pirating the games would probably be threw the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    That's essentially how we sell our software. The disks anyone can get but it's the key that you are technically purchasing.

However with this model there are some pretty easy ways to generate keys and the opportunity for pirating the games would probably be threw the roof.
    Yeah obviously it would have to be well planned for it to work without mass theft, but I'd assume they could pull it off if they were planning for it during the console's design phase. At least I'd think so.

I still can't see it. Even though MS and Sony really don't care about other companies, would they want to put that many people out of a job because of it? The backlash of that alone is going to be more negative pub then they want to deal with where people from Game Stop and it's other clones, along with Gamefly have all lost their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I still can't see it. Even though MS and Sony really don't care about other companies, would they want to put that many people out of a job because of it? The backlash of that alone is going to be more negative pub then they want to deal with where people from Game Stop and it's other clones, along with Gamefly have all lost their jobs.
    Sony and MS would spin it in such a way that they saved jobs at their own offices and also jobs of people who make the games. In addition, I think most people who weren't ass-chapped by the used market disappearing would see Game Stop as a scavenger that is taking money from the people who actually make the games. Gamers could be as pissed as they want, but in the end the only thing they could do would be to quit gaming - the vast majority wouldn't. Furthermore, it's not Sony or MS's job to produce a product for GS to sell and resell over and over and over in a manner that only makes GS money and costs sales to the game makers. GS would have to adapt, or die. That is business, and no corporation gives a shit about another one going under while they make more money.

To be clear, I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is coming. I have no idea. I'm just sharing my thoughts on how it could happen.

Sony and MS would spin it in such a way that they saved jobs at their own offices and also jobs of people who make the games. In addition, I think most people who weren't ass-chapped by the used market disappearing would see Game Stop as a scavenger that is taking money from the people who actually make the games. Gamers could be as pissed as they want, but in the end the only thing they could do would be to quit gaming - the vast majority wouldn't. Furthermore, it's not Sony or MS's job to produce a product for GS to sell and resell over and over and over in a manner that only makes GS money and costs sales to the game makers. GS would have to adapt, or die. That is business, and no corporation gives a shit about another one going under while they make more money.

To be clear, I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is coming. I have no idea. I'm just sharing my thoughts on how it could happen.

Exactly, well put. On top of that, it would put more money in the pockets of Sony and Microsoft because if people want a certain game, they'd have to buy it new instead of buying it used. Like you said, Sony and Microsoft do not care about Gamestop and I would personally be shocked if these rumors don't turn out to be true. You know they HAVE to have the backing of the big publishers, too. Look at all the publishers doing the online pass thing, such as EA.

Even Gamestop knows it's coming. Over the past year or so, they've started selling DLC codes and are really focusing on preorders for retail releases. I think they realize Sony and Microsoft are looking into ways to eliminate used games, so they're trying to stay alive with new games and downloadable content.

Is it possible for video gaming to suffer a crash again? MS and Sony trying to cut out the used games market, video game companies nickel and dime people to death with DLC, Maps, add ons, etc. There's going to come a point where consumers will say enough is enough and quit buying consoles and games all together. I have always bought a new system the first day they are released. That won't be the case anymore. If I do buy a new gaming system in the future, I will just pick one and be done with it.

Zipper Interactive Is No More

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'll go ahead and give a little message to Zipper that they will never read: I told you so. The way the handled MAG coupled with the way they absolutely destroyed SOCOM with SOCOM 4 by trying to make the game appeal to casual Call of Duty players, I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner.

Zipper Interactive Is No More

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'll go ahead and give a little message to Zipper that they will never read: I told you so. The way the handled MAG coupled with the way they absolutely destroyed SOCOM with SOCOM 4 by trying to make the game appeal to casual Call of Duty players, I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner.

The dude abides.