Page 13 of 106 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Random College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    Cool. By the way, I hope I didn't come off as an asshole when I said, "I know this".
    Not at all. I use that response enough myself to know how you meant it
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

From Rivals' weekly "Roundtable" column:
    THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: Do you think Ohio State coach Jim Tressel will be on the sideline at some point this season?

David Fox's answer:
    In light of Friday's news, I don't see how Ohio State can retain Jim Tressel and maintain any shred of good standing with the NCAA. The Columbus Dispatch reported Tressel forwarded email warnings of improprieties to Terrelle Pryor's mentor. Tressel previously said he did not forward to his bosses the emails warning him of Pryor and others selling memorabilia because the coach had concerns of confidentiality and safety. That defense sure doesn't look as credible now, does it? Will Ohio State keep a coach who kept so-called mentors in the loop on possible violations but not athletic administrators? Tressel has built more capital with his program than almost any coach in the country. If anyone can keep his job in the face of all this, it would be someone like Tressel. As we learn more details, though, I don't see how Ohio State can keep him as coach in 2011.

Mike Huguenin's answer:
    I think Jim Tressel is done as Ohio State's coach. The latest revelation - that he sent info on potential NCAA violations committed by Terrelle Pryor to Pryor's mentor but not anyone above him at Ohio State - has to be it. If Tressel weren't such a successful coach, he'd already have been fired. There's no way he can stay now. He lied to his boss and he lied to the NCAA. Does A.D. Gene Smith have the gumption to fire him (we know bowtie-wearing school president Gordon Gee doesn't)? Or will this be a case of the NCAA bringing the hammer itself?
    Can't say I disagree with either of them.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Pretty damning evidence against him. I don't see how he survives it at OSU, but weirder stuff has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Pretty damning evidence against him. I don't see how he survives it at OSU, but weirder stuff has happened.
    I think the NCAA will force us to vacate all of our 2010 wins, and possibly extend his suspension. That would be pretty tough, but under those circumstances I can see them keeping him. The current administration doesn't seem to have the same quick-fire mentality that the last one did. Though I think that's more due to the AD change than the president.

Jim Tressel aint going nowhere - this is small time crap and Ohio State isnt worried about it

I don't think Tressel is that safe....

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I don't think Tressel is that safe....
    Yeah, especially after it coming out about him forwarding those emails to Pryor's mentor, after all that was said by him, Gene Smith, and Gee about him not revealing those emails to the NCAA or OSU officials because he was unsure or afraid of confidentiality issues. I would not be surprised to see the NCAA come down hard on him and OSU, especially with all the issues going on around NCAA sports lately with violations.

And then the backlash they took for allowing the OSU players to play in the Sugar Bowl, and wait until the next season to sit out their games, I could see the NCAA bitchslapping Tressel and OSU solely to make up for coming across so soft with the players punishment and trying to appear tougher in this case.

The Pac 12 has come out and said if we have no NFL, they would move games to Sundays.

The Pac 12 has come out and said if we have no NFL, they would move games to Sundays.
    Awful!!! Part of the charm of college football is that's on Saturday.

I wouldn't have a problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with this.
    Yeah, as long as there wasn't a mass exodus of conferences deciding to play on Sundays, hoping to get the spotlight to themselves, I wouldn't mind it. I never really watch or get to watch Pac-10 games unless they are on Fox Sports Ohio or Fox Sports Detroit. And with no NFL games (if the lockout lasted that long) on Sunday, why not have the Pac-10 play some games on Sunday? It'd give me something to watch on Sunday, an extra day each week to watch college football, and I'd get to actually watch some Pac-10 games.

It could be games that wouldn't otherwise be prominently televised....

Larry Scott said they'd think about it. Nothing official, last I saw.

Hmm. I'm actually not sure where I stand on this. It's certainly different than the solid blue at Boise or solid red at Eastern Washington. Part of me hates it, but part of me sort of likes it, especially with the alternating colors.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Hmm. I'm actually not sure where I stand on this. It's certainly different than the solid blue at Boise or solid red at Eastern Washington. Part of me hates it, but part of me sort of likes it, especially with the alternating colors.
    I really don't like it personally. It would be one thing if the gray were actually light green or something but even then it might not work well. I myself though am against non-green playing field.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Not that they actually play on TV, but good lord that has to look TERRIBLE on TV.

Surprised Oregon hasn't made their field highlighter yellow yet.

Surprised Oregon hasn't made their field highlighter yellow yet.
    Let's not tempt the fates, please.

Pretty cool video of our QB wearing a helmet cam during practice
    http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/co...07&CID=1207957