Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Random College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I expected better typing/e-mailing ability than some of the examples I've seen since this story broke
    Certainly, he has the engineer-y, computer guy look going.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- The NCAA threw out more than 30 Arkansas State victories in football and basketball from the 2005-07 seasons Friday, saying the school used ineligible players.

The NCAA also said that it has cut one football and one basketball scholarship for two years.

The penalties stem from the school allowing 31 ineligible athletes during the 2005-08 seasons because of a failure to meet NCAA rules on progress-toward-degree requirements. The violations were originally discovered during an internal audit, and ASU reported them to the NCAA.

The school offered to forfeit six football wins from the 2006 season, four from 2005, 15 men's basketball wins from the 2006-07 season, 12 basketball wins from 2005-06, three baseball wins from the 2006-07 season and five women's soccer wins during the 2005-06 season.

The NCAA infractions committee agreed with the self-imposed penalties for the school, which will be on probation for two years.

Honestly, I can't see how the NCAA lays down this punishment (though the school did offer it) and doesn't lay down something similar for Ohio State for the 2010 season. We shall see.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

What's sad is that the person responsible for all of that, got in trouble for doing the same exact thing at Louisiana-Lafayette not more than 6 months than being hired at ASU. Unfortunately she didn't get into trouble until after she was at ASU but even then, once it came out, she should have been watched like a hawk.

If I understand correctly, it had to do with the athletes going to the advisor to make sure they had enough credits to be eligible and since the advisor rounded up on some calculations instead of down, she determined they were eligible. Had the athletes known they were in danger of being ineligible, they could have easily added a single course and everything would have been fine.

Pac-12 logo unveiled

And a terrible welcoming video for CU & Utah:

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    What the hell did I just watch/listen to?! Gah...

I think I just had my eyes and ears raped. At least molested.

...if autotune and bad dancing were combined in the 80's you'd get that turd I just watched

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    What the hell did I just watch/listen to?! Gah...
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I think I just had my eyes and ears raped. At least molested.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    ...if autotune and bad dancing were combined in the 80's you'd get that turd I just watched
    Pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

I'm glad that video wasn't a second longer. I almost lost the last of my dignity, self respect, and masculinity. That was horrible.

I actually thought it was enjoyable ... then again, based on all of your comments I knew I was just going to snicker, laugh and through all of it.

Oh, and ponder the meaning behind using a female to hold the "Beavers" sign.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Pac-12 logo unveiled

And a terrible welcoming video for CU & Utah:

CDJ, for posting that you owe me 1 minute and 14 seconds of my life that I will never get back!

I'm not even sure what to think about this.

Ohio State and football coach Jim Tressel announced tonight that he will serve a five-game suspension for his role in the scandal that brought major NCAA violations to the university's door.

"Throughout this entire situation my players and I have committed ourselves to facing our mistakes and growing from them; we can only successfully do that together," Tressel said in a statement. "Like my players, I am very sorry for the mistakes I made. I request of the university that my sanctions now include five games so that the players and I can handle this adversity together."

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement: "I have accepted his request and we are taking action to notify the NCAA. Until the NCAA has completed its investigation, we will not be publicly discussing the details of this case."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I'm not even sure what to think about this.
    I'll tell you what you should think: This is Ohio States way of trying to avoid the NCAA from making it the entire season. Dez Bryant was suspended for lying to the NCAA about having lunch with Deon Sanders. What Tressel did is WAY worse. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA make it more than 5 games (perhaps not til next season though). This is a smart move by them, I'm just not so sure it works. They're trying to make the case that what he did was no worse than what his players did which, IMO, isn't true at all.

In short, you should think this isn't the last of this....
    Last edited by Kwizzy; 03-18-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    In short, you should think this isn't the last of this....
    Oh, I don't. I haven't since it began, nor will I even begin to think it's the end until the NCAA actually rules. The 2 game suspension was a total joke. The 5 games is barely acceptable.

Bad news for the Tarnished Domers. Per ESPN, Michael Floyd has been arrested on a misdemeanor drunken-driving charge.

ESPN's 2011 schedule has been released:

EDIT: Took the image down because it's not showing up in the post anymore. If you want to see it, use this link: http://twitpic.com/4dm69b
    Last edited by HWill; 03-26-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    ESPN's 2011 schedule has been released
    Of sorts. ESPN doesn't negotiate most (practically any) of their Saturday games until a week or two before the game. Which is why the only Saturday games you see on that list are a few non-conference battles in September.

Of sorts. ESPN doesn't negotiate most (practically any) of their Saturday games until a week or two before the game. Which is why the only Saturday games you see on that list are a few non-conference battles in September.
    I know this. Those were their words, not mine: http://twitter.com/SportsCenter/stat...33903077163008

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    I know this.
    Figured you did. Was trying to answer any inevitable questions others may have.

Figured you did. Was trying to answer any inevitable questions others may have.
    Cool. By the way, I hope I didn't come off as an asshole when I said, "I know this".
    Last edited by HWill; 03-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.