View Poll Results: After Week 8, who should be #1?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auburn

2 14.29%
  • Boise State

2 14.29%
  • Michigan St.

1 7.14%
  • Missouri

0 0%
  • Oregon

9 64.29%
  • TCU

0 0%
  • Utah

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After Week #8, who should be #1?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Oregon.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Only one of the four teams you just mentioned is ranked in the BCS. And -- shocker -- they're not in the SEC.

Your overall point is right ... it's entirely likely that Alabama, Oklahoma, or Ohio State will jump Boise / TCU. Enough with the hyperbole though.
    You can't tell me that the computers don't rank Alabama beating a shitty SEC team better than Boise State beating a decent/good WAC team just like they are going to rank Ohio State beating a shitty Big Ten opponent or Oklahoma beating a shitty Big 12 opponent.

The computers are stacked against non-BCS teams because of the preseason rankings having an effect on how it weights conferences and teams. I mean, christ, Oklahoma was #1 last week! All because they beat a shitty Texas team that beat a Nebraska team that completely shit themselves against said shitty Texas team.

The only way Boise State has a chance in hell of making the MNC game is if Auburn, Michigan State, Oregon, and Missouri all lose games and then their chances are slim because of how overrated Oklahoma is.

Even with both of them having 1 loss, if Oklahoma and Alabama go undefeated, they're almost guaranteed to be playing each other in the MNC game unless one of the other above listed teams continues to go undefeated (obviously Alabama wouldn't only have 1 loss if Auburn went undefeated and Oklahoma wouldn't have only 1 loss if Missouri went undefeated).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    You can't tell me that the computers don't rank Alabama beating a shitty SEC team better than Boise State beating a decent/good WAC team just like they are going to rank Ohio State beating a shitty Big Ten opponent or Oklahoma beating a shitty Big 12 opponent.

The computers are stacked against non-BCS teams because of the preseason rankings having an effect on how it weights conferences and teams. I mean, christ, Oklahoma was #1 last week! All because they beat a shitty Texas team that beat a Nebraska team that completely shit themselves against said shitty Texas team.

The only way Boise State has a chance in hell of making the MNC game is if Auburn, Michigan State, Oregon, and Missouri all lose games and then their chances are slim because of how overrated Oklahoma is.

Even with both of them having 1 loss, if Oklahoma and Alabama go undefeated, they're almost guaranteed to be playing each other in the MNC game unless one of the other above listed teams continues to go undefeated (obviously Alabama wouldn't only have 1 loss if Auburn went undefeated and Oklahoma wouldn't have only 1 loss if Missouri went undefeated).
    Ummm Boise was ranked high preseason, solely based off of last season. Otherwise, they wouldn't even be this close.

I can see a 1-loss Alabama jumping Boise or TCU by winning out. Any other 1-loss teams, I don't think they will.

That's why I don't think we should have a single poll released until October.

I have a huge problem with the computers not ranking margin of victory. They used to cap it at 20 or 21 to keep teams from running up the score but pounding a team and escaping with a victory do deserve to be split up.

I thought Bama was the only great college team this year but their defense is young and doesn't rush the passer well. They can get exposed vs. a good passing team. I think Saban needs to pound the rock a little more. He gets too cute imo and tries to run the pistol and a lot of shotgun stuff to remain balanced when he doesn't have to. Who should touch the ball on that team? The two stud RBs or freaking McElroy who is more of a game manager? In the loss to South Carolina I rarely saw Bama line up in a two TE set and pound the rock the first half. They started out cute and it didn't work. They did the same thing against Utah in the Sugar Bowl a couple years ago and Utah smoked them.

Anyways, any team can be beat this year. It's like 2007 so I think everyone deserves consideration for the title game and Boise deserves a shot.

My Top 10:

1. Oregon (--)
    2. Boise State (--)
    3. Auburn (6)
    4. Missouri (10)
    5. Michigan State (3)
    6. TCU (4)
    7. Utah (8)
    8. Wisconsin (9)
    9. Ohio State (NR)
    10. Alabama (NR)

Others receiving a thought or two: Stanford, LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida State

Ever since San Diego State, Missouri continues to impress. If Auburn, Missouri, and Michigan State all win this coming week (well yeah not Missouri ) I really am not sure I would bump TCU/Utah winner ahead of them. Wisconsin is still my best 1-loss team, and unlike the pollsters, Alabama is my 3rd best 1-loss team. This coming week is going to be a fun one.
    Last edited by JBHuskers; 10-25-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Sure I can. You won't beleive me, because you appear to think the BCS conferences are the worst conferences in the country, but I can absolutely tell you that.

Nevada is #24.
    Ole Miss and Tennessee are not ranked.

Therefore, it is simple logic to say that the computers will like Boise's potential victory over Nevada more than Auburn's upcoming games against Ole Miss and Tennessee. I can't really say anything about Fresno, because I have no idea where they are in the computer rankings, except to say that they're not in the Top 25.

In all honesty, I don't think Boise has any shot of making the national title game at this point, except for the possibility of something going horribly wrong in multiple BCS conferences. TCU, however, I think still has a shot, considering they still have a Top 10 team on their schedule.
    And those same computers were projected to give Boise a HUGE advantage in the BCS rankings the week before they came out.

You keep wanting to make this about one or two games. Maybe that's because that's all Boise's really played. No matter what you think about the BCS conferences, the simple reality is that, from top to bottom, the BCS conference schedules are tougher. So Boise is going to take a pounding the deeper they get into their schedule. You can't seriously think that playing San Jose State is akin to playing even lowly Tennessee.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 10-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    You keep wanting to make this about one or two games. Maybe that's because that's all Boise's really played. No matter what you think about the BCS conferences, the simple reality is that, from top to bottom, the BCS conference schedules are tougher. So Boise is going to take a pounding the deeper they get into their schedule. You can't seriously think that playing San Jose State is akin to playing even lowly Tennessee.
    Ding, ding, ding.