View Poll Results: Who should be the new #1?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auburn

0 0%
  • Boise State

3 15.00%
  • LSU

0 0%
  • Nebraska

2 10.00%
  • Ohio State

6 30.00%
  • Oklahoma

0 0%
  • Oregon

9 45.00%
  • TCU

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After Week #6, who should be the new #1?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    And i said it but i'll fucking say it again, i never said the big east was good.

Can you not fucking read?

It's hilarious to you have to make fun of my shitty conference instead of having any REAL proof that the Big Ten is worth a damn.
    You already showed earlier in the thread that you weren't going to consider a different view and instead started running your mouth about other teams and conferences.
    There is no reason for me to play Capt. Obvious in presenting all the evidence that the B10 is a solid conference, especially when you are trying to stake your claim based on a weak OOC schedule when every other 'power' conference does the same thing. Others in the thread get it, so wasting my time trying to explain it to a close-minded single person is not worth my time.

Like I said, don't become a defense lawyer or join a debate team. Your opponents would thank you though.

You're the only one who can't accept anyone else's.
    Truth.

How can I think very highly of Ohio State's schedule when they only have FOUR road games? FOUR! Talk about cupcake bullshit right there.
    So, Ohio State should have gone out of their way to schedule a road game this year just to satisfy you? So be it that our home-and-home with Miami just happened to have a home game this year.

Let's be real, mors. If anybody in the ACC had an Out-of-conference schedule of Wyoming, New Mexico State, Toledo, and Oregon State, and they'd beaten Virginia Tech, no one would be touting them for a #1 ranking. That schedule proves nothing.

The only reason any of these teams are in this discussion is because they started the season that way. No one has a #1 resume yet.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    No one has a #1 resume yet.
    So very true.

Again, there's no reason to argue about #1 or #2 when it's Week 6. We all know that the entire landscape will be very different when it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    So very true.

Again, there's no reason to argue about #1 or #2 when it's Week 6. We all know that the entire landscape will be very different when it counts.
    But it has brought out the most TGT voters in a while

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    But it has brought out the most TGT voters in a while
    Carry on then.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    The only reason any of these teams are in this discussion is because they started the season that way. No one has a #1 resume yet.
    Well, because they started that way, you have to take last season into account (the whole reason that Alabama was preseason #1 and Boise State was #3).

This will be the first time EVER since the BCS bullshit started that a team has continued to go down in the rankings even though they've won every game they've played. Take that for what it is.

Boise State is the only other team to be undefeated last season. Combined with this season's performance against better competition, and they're the clear choice for #1 right now, not Ohio State, and not Oregon. Why Alabama get's the benefit of last season's performance and Boise State doesn't boggles my mind.

Of course, it all really comes back to how total bullshit the BCS system is to begin with and how teams not named Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Florida have to basically hope and pray that all of the previous teams have bad seasons, otherwise they don't have a freakin' prayer of playing in the MNC game anyway. How a league like NCAA Football can let opinion polls dictate who wins what while every other sport on the planet uses a playoff system to determine that is just plain retarded. But, money talks, and the previous teams certainly have that covered.

Let's be real, mors. If anybody in the ACC had an Out-of-conference schedule of Wyoming, New Mexico State, Toledo, and Oregon State, and they'd beaten Virginia Tech, no one would be touting them for a #1 ranking. That schedule proves nothing.
    I would be if they started out at #3 and had went undefeated the previous year and got the most bullshit copout of a BCS bowl game setup EVER. But, that would never happen to the ACC or the Big East if that were the case. They'd get the bowl game that they deserved (and probably a very good chance at the MNC) and not a matchup against another non-BCS school to make the game as meaningless as possible.

I've been critical of the garbage schedules the Big 10 teams plays. Other than playing overrated Notre Dame, OSU has been the only team to schedule tough ooc games in recent years. They have done home and homes with Texas, USC and now Miami. That deserves some credit. Furthermore, the Big 10 did schedule some better games this year. Penn State finally took on a tough opponent in Alabama. Iowa went on the road to Arizona.

And the Big 10 may not be considered as good as the SEC (who is?) but I'll put the conference up against any other conference out there. The Big 12 had one good year and it sucked in those bowls showing they were a bit overrated. That conference is Texas and Oklahoma and nobody else. The ACC sucks. The Big East sucks. The PAC 10 is getting better. The Big 10 did well in it's bowl games last year. The main reason people people bitch about the Big 10 is the beat down OSU took at the hands of Florida. The LSU title game wasn't even that bad.

Well, because they started that way, you have to take last season into account (the whole reason that Alabama was preseason #1 and Boise State was #3).
    You can't rail on who we've played this season, yet also say we need to take last year into account. That doesn't work.

This will be the first time EVER since the BCS bullshit started that a team has continued to go down in the rankings even though they've won every game they've played. Take that for what it is.
    Hence the whole reson Boise St needs to get off this high horse & decide what they want to be: A) Are they a big boy school who wants to play with the big boys? or B) Do they always wanna be the best of the underdog little guys?

Boise knew the BCS formula before the season started (for years actually) same as everyone else. If they really wanted to be A, then you take the home and home offered by Nebraska (just as they should've taken similar offers for this season and last season) without making ridiculous monetary demands as well. Big boy schools trade home and homes. Boise wants to be a big boy school, but get payed like the little guy still. Well they're about to see the result of that line of thinking.

They have no one to blame but themselves, it's simple math really. 2 decent non-conference games are not enough when you play in such a weak conference. That hasn't changed since the BCS started and shame on them for just assuming things would be different instead of going out and doing something about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I've been critical of the garbage schedules the Big 10 teams plays. Other than playing overrated Notre Dame, OSU has been the only team to schedule tough ooc games in recent years. They have done home and homes with Texas, USC and now Miami. That deserves some credit. Furthermore, the Big 10 did schedule some better games this year. Penn State finally took on a tough opponent in Alabama. Iowa went on the road to Arizona.
    I'm pretty sure that criticism could be leveled at every conference if we start pulling up schedules since 2005.

And for the weekly check into Scott Wolf's poll ...

Code:
    Rank	Team
    1	TCU		(Highest)
    2	Oklahoma
    3	Oregon
    4	Boise State
    5	LSU		(Highest)
    6	Ohio State
    7	Auburn
    8	South Carolina
    9	Nebraska
    10	Alabama
    11	Arkansas
    12	Stanford
    13	Utah
    14	Air Force	(Highest)
    15	Florida State
    16	Florida
    17	West Virginia	(Highest)
    18	Oregon State
    19	Arizona
    20	Michigan State
    21	Iowa		(Lowest)
    22	Nevada
    23	Oklahoma State
    24	Missouri
    25	Wisconsin
    For LSU at #5, I think he should be voted off AP Poll Survivor Island.

Jon Wilner and Mark Anderson are also head-scratching.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 10-12-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Wow, he is straight up off his rocker.

Wow, he is straight up off his rocker.
    The one thing ALL of us can agree on! He has been one of the absolute worst voters, if not THE worst voter, every single week, clear back to the first (preseason) AP poll. Which, like I said last week, I cannot understand how the hell the AP has not revoked his voting privileges and given them to someone who can actually vote worth a damn.

Smooth, you should look at the two other polls I linked. They may actually be worse than his this week.

EDIT: I just discovered that Jon Wilner is the same guy from the Mercury News that I used to send into the Utopia Poll. I actually liked his ballot then. Now, not so much.

I've given a lot of thought over the last year to how EA uses a computer to simulate the Media Poll voting, and how it must be actually pretty difficult to do something like that. Mainly because most, if not all, of the "computer polls" that are documented out there are intentionally created to eliminate bias that's present in media voting.

After reading some of the AP voting over these last few weeks, I'm convinced it's utterly impossible to introduce voting differences that drastic.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 10-12-2010 at 10:26 PM.

They'd get the bowl game that they deserved (and probably a very good chance at the MNC) and not a matchup against another non-BCS school to make the game as meaningless as possible.
    Wanted to go back to this comment for a minute. The one thing we have to look forward to is if a Pac-10 or Big Ten team makes it to the MNC game, the Rose will be required to pick a non-automatic qualifier if one is available. So, if either Boise or TCU don't get in the MNC game, fans of non-AQ teams should probably hope for Oregon to get there, just to force a game other than TCU/Boise to happen.

Wanted to go back to this comment for a minute. The one thing we have to look forward to is if a Pac-10 or Big Ten team makes it to the MNC game, the Rose will be required to pick a non-automatic qualifier if one is available. So, if either Boise or TCU don't get in the MNC game, fans of non-AQ teams should probably hope for Oregon to get there, just to force a game other than TCU/Boise to happen.
    I fuckin' hope so. If they do Boise State vs TCU again, then there really is no justice for non-BCS teams in the MNC and BCS Bowl selection processes...

The thing is the Boise vs. TCU game had decent ratings I think. Better than some bigger name matchups. I think people are willing to watch those teams but it would be a lot better if a bigger name school was in the title game.

I fuckin' hope so. If they do Boise State vs TCU again, then there really is no justice for non-BCS teams in the MNC and BCS Bowl selection processes...
    Looking for 'justice' in the BCS seems like a logical fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    The thing is the Boise vs. TCU game had decent ratings I think. Better than some bigger name matchups. I think people are willing to watch those teams but it would be a lot better if a bigger name school was in the title game.
    Why would that be a lot better? You're telling me you wouldn't watch Boise State or TCU play Oregon or Oklahoma in the MNC game? Imagine the drama! It would be the most anticipated game EVER.

Looking for 'justice' in the BCS seems like a logical fallacy.
    Oh, I know. Truthfully, I hope there's 5 or 6 undefeated teams at the end of the year so we can just stop all this nonsense of the BCS Bowl setup being a reasonable setup at all. Bowl games are killing college football, whether people want to admit it or not (and not only because of the whole Championship thing - these schools that travel clear across the country to play in some shitty bowl are getting absolutely SCREWED financially and, in some cases, are close to LOSING money even if they win the bowl game all the while these bowl sponsor tycoons are raking in the dollars, no matter how shitty the attendance is since schools HAVE to buy half the tickets).