Thread: Just Cause 4 (PS4, XB1, PC) - December 4, 2018

• Facebook
  • Display

Just Cause 4 (PS4, XB1, PC) - December 4, 2018

More details.

A summary of the video:

Huge new map.

At any one moment, in any particular direction, the player can see something they haven't seen before and go to it and explore it. No matter how long you play this game, you're always going to see something new.

There are four biomes (or regions) in Just Cause 4. Within each of those four biomes, there are between two to four different sub-biomes. Pictures show jungles, desert, plateaus and waterfalls.

The Black Hand (the main enemy) are an elite mercenary force that you've seen in other Just Cause games, but now you're on their home turf. There are enemies that require the player to be aware of them. There are guys that bring functions and dangers that are unique to them. You need to behave differently because "this" guy is on the field, because he's an elite soldier. Video shows giant heavily armored guys, a soldier with a machine gun and a large shield that he can deploy and shoot at you from behind with his machine gun. Also shown is a soldier with the ability to camouflage himself and apparently turn invisible.

The game runs on a brand new engine, the Apex engine. With extra space, power and muscle of the new engine, they want to provide stunning landscapes, extreme weather simulation (more video shown of tornadoes), enhanced physics, crazy gameplay opportunities. They built this game from scratch, from the ground up.

Incredible extreme weather. They like to refer to Rico as a force of nature. What's one thing that can go up against a force of nature? Another force of nature. There will be tornadoes, sandstorms and blizzards and everything right in your face. They've taken the functionality around weather and tied gameplay to it. Tornadoes for instance can destroy destructible objects around enemy outposts and bases, so you may come across a base with fewer things to destroy because a tornado already took some out.

Refining Rico. They wanted to bring back the 'Badass'. He's the strongest, most amazing hero out there, but this time in JC4, he has met his match. They want to continually make Rico more human, he's not just a terminator android.

Brand new grapple. They've brought back the boosters and grappling hook retract. They added the airlifter balloons from JC3. You can mess with the tension, or the speed at which it retracts, or does it auto retract. You can use this attachment in different combinations, but then, within each one of them, there are a set of variable parameters that you can modulate. They wanted to give more options to the players to create things they never would have thought of. It was important to bring back as much of or all of the amazing experiences people had in Just Cause 3, but amplified. The possibilities, the options, the creativity in the toolset, it's there for the player. These are more toys in the sandbox, you can never have sandbox with too many toys the way they look at it.

Official breakdown of the gameplay trailer.

Summary notes:

We are indeed in a brand new location/world. The name of the place is called Solis, the home turf of the Black Hand.

Rico is back (obviously). His first statement is "I was born to fight wars no army could win." He is locked and loaded with two weapons. Many guns in JC4 have alternate fire. There are functions like burst fire, RPG mid-flight control, drones and explosive bullets, just to name a few, with many more to be discovered.

There are jungles, mountains, grasslands. Animals return to the game. The double denim outfit for JC3 is gone. Rico now sports a dark leather jacket. Straps from his parachute are strapped to his chest, and a fully customizable grapple hook on his left arm. Tethering is back. It is back with a vengeance with even more tethers that you can use.

Weather is in the game, including giant tornadoes. Weather changes up the gameplay completely.

Enemies are now more advanced than ever before.

There is a new character who works with Rico, called Mira Morales.

The new primary villain of the game is a woman called Gabriela, a leader of the Black Hand. Rico has "truly met his match with her." There appears to be a much more inherent danger for Rico.

The wingsuit is back and better. If you can an air current, you can fly effortlessly for a long time.

Another companion as part of Rico's team is Cesar (the guy seen in the garage with Rico).

There are many more vehicle types, including jet skis, snowmobiles, dune buggies and more.

Boosters existed in the JC3 universe, but now they are boundless potential to use them with the fully customizable grapple hook, including being able to attach boosters from afar with the grapple.

This is the first game that will include destructible glass in a Just Cause game.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 06-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.

So... Never played any of these but noticed 3 must have been free on + at some point. Is it something I could just jump into with 3 or should I pass because I never played 1 or 2

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    So... Never played any of these but noticed 3 must have been free on + at some point. Is it something I could just jump into with 3 or should I pass because I never played 1 or 2
    Yeah, you can just jump into it. I never played 1 and only got part way through 2 (I really need to go back and finish that some day). They may all technically be connected, but any events from the past games don't really have any effect on 3. At most, you'd just know a couple of the secondary characters beforehand rather than being first introduced when you run into them in the game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I see some spam bots have found a way in.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I see some spam bots have found a way in.

I dunno the post is about as logical and grammatically correct as many zof our former posters

What the actual **^&%^*&(*(?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...rger-than-life

Talking about the Extreme Weather in Just Cause 4

Depending on how commonplace Just Cause 4’s tornadoes are when the game launches, its simulation of extreme weather may be more realistic than we would like to think.
    Next paragraph.

Despite individual efforts to recycle or end the use of plastic straws, for example, climate scientists agree that individuals are largely not responsible for climate change. Instead, large carbon-emitting sectors such as the gas and oil industry are “most responsible for climate change since dawn of industrial age.”
    and...

With this in mind, and as unlikely as it sounds, Just Cause can be thought of as a deeply ecologically-minded series. Just Cause has and likely always will be about creative and gleeful destruction, but as gratuitous as it seems on the surface, Avalanche studios have continually developed games that allow players to reclaim spaces that have been overruled by tyranny and overrun by rampant industrialization.

I put in a couple hours on this last night and a couple more hours this morning, the first video game playing I've done since mid-September.

Another solid Just Cause game! I like the changes they've made from 3 to 4 and the way of progressing your territory, by having a front line of the battle to take back Solis and needing to cause chaos to recruit new members to the revolution, which then gives you squad reserves and let's you take over a new territory. It makes you feel like you're really building a revolution from scratch and have to claw and fight for each inch of land.