• Game of the Week Preview: Oregon vs. USC

This weekend, the Oregon Ducks (7-0, 4-0) - the top ranked team in the media and coaches polls - travels to Los Angeles to face the UCS Trojans (5-2, 2-2) in a Pac-10 showdown that looks to be their toughest challenge of the season to date.

A year ago, Oregon routed USC in Eugene, winning 47-20 and torching the Trojans' D for 613 total yards. In an effort to try and slow down the high-powered attack of the Ducks, USC first-year defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin has had the team run live tackling drills this week for the first time since early in fall practices.

The explosive Oregon offense is the best in the country, averaging 570 yards per game and 55 points per game. The Ducks have also been opportunistic as they rank first nationally with a +1.71 turnover margin. Heisman Trophy candidiate RB LaMichael James leads the nation with 162 yards per game on the ground.

Can USC prove they are still among the nation's best despite NCAA sanctions? Or will Oregon steamroll to another victory? Check back later today to see the video preview for Oregon vs. USC.

Spoiler: show

Oregon 38, USC 35

Player of the Game:
    Oregon QB Darron Thomas – 27 of 35, 452 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Leaders:

Passing
    Oregon QB Darron Thomas – 27 of 35, 452 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT
    USC QB Matt Barkley – 24 of 35, 439 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Rushing
    Oregon HB LaMichael James – 10 carries, 12 yards
    USC HB Marc Tyler – 22 carries, 96 yards

Receiving
    Oregon WR Jeff Maehl – 6 receptions, 121 yards, 1 TD
    USC WR Ronald Johnson – 7 receptions, 172 yards, 2 TD

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter
    4:33 TD Oreg: J. Huff, 24 yard pass from D. Thomas (R. Beard kick)
    3:59 TD USC: M. Tyler, 81 yard pass from M. Barkley (J. Harfman kick)
    0:00 TD USC: R. Johnson, 43 yard pass from M. Barkey (J. Harfman kick)

2nd Quarter
    4:07 TD Oreg: D. Davis, 19 yard pass from D. Thomas (2-Pt failed)
    2:24 TD USC: R. Johnson, 75 yard pass from M. Barkley (J. Harfman kick)
    1:39 TD Oreg: J. Maehl, 11 yard pass from D. Thomas (R. Beard kick)
    0:03 TD Oreg: E. Pleasant, returned fumble 92 yards (R. Beard kick)

3rd Quarter
    0:45 FG Oreg: R. Beard, 32 yard FG

4th Quarter
    5:18 TD USC: A. Bradford, 6 yard run (J. Harfman kick)
    1:27 TD Oreg: D. Paulson, 13 yard pass from D. Thomas (R. Beard kick)
    0:49 TD USC: R. Woods, 2 yard pass from M. Barkley (J. Harfman kick)
    Comments 10 Comments
      JBHuskers -
      Everybody and their dog is expecting a let down. I think this is Oregon's year.
      psuexv -
      If Pete was coaching this team, it's a win. Lane just doesn't have it in him.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      Pete coached last year... FAIL
      Lane takes over this year... UBER EPIC FAIL

"E"
      Rudy -
      Maybe it's just the aura surrounding USC but this game could be scary for Oregon. USC has a good offense. I hope this is a great game.

And EA needs to fix the spread game. 10 carries for 12 yards for LaMichael James? Please.
      jaymo76 -
      I say Oregon with a BIG win. I don't think this game will be close. Honestly I can see Oregon winning by 10 or more.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      I don't think this game will be close. Honestly I can see Oregon winning by 10 or more.
      10 would be a ridiculously close game for Oregon
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Maybe it's just the aura surrounding USC but this game could be scary for Oregon. USC has a good offense. I hope this is a great game.

And EA needs to fix the spread game. 10 carries for 12 yards for LaMichael James? Please.
      For some reason the RB's don't get a ton of love on sims. I see that when I sim for my fantasy football blog on Madden.
      Rudy -
      But my issue isn't the sim engine. If you play the cpu or had the cpu play itself the spread game is simply broken in terms of the read option and featuring a RB like James. James made a move on a USC defender this past week that I thought would have torn his groin in two. The juke move in the game isn't quick enough like it used to be but that's for any offense. The handoff on the read option is a little slow and the QB seems a little slow when not sprinting as well. Combine that with the how quickly a DL can get off a block and make a tackle for loss and it really hurts the spread offense. Furthermore, the play action passing game is a huge part of Oregon's offense and the play action pass protection is way too poor in the game. They need to give you more time and I don't know why they don't use the tuning files to correct this.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      For some reason the RB's don't get a ton of love on sims. I see that when I sim for my fantasy football blog on Madden.
      The fact is that LaMichael James, on his first 10 carries, had 65 yards last night. That's practically impossible with the way the spread runs in this game.
      Rudy -
      And James had over 200 yards too.