• Game of the Week Preview: Texas vs. Nebraska

On paper, this Game of the Week does not appear to be special - a 5-0 Top 5 Nebraska team playing at home versus a talented, but under-performing 3-2 Texas squad. However, for fans of each team - particularly Nebraska - this game carries significant meaning.

Since the inception of the Big 12, Texas has had Nebraska's number, going 8-1 versus the Big Red including two conference championships. The losses have typically been heartbreaking for the Huskers:

The Huskers offense has kicked into high gear behind the legs of rFr Qb Taylor Martinez. The unheralded recruit from California ranks fourth nationally in rush yards per game and finds himself in early Heisman Trophy consideration. The Texas defense is stout, however their offense is one of the worst of the Mack Brown era, ranking just 71st nationally in total offense. The Longhorns have lost two in a row and are looking to avoid their first three-game losing streak since the 1999 season.

In their final season as a member of the Big 12, will Nebraska take out 15 years of frustration on Texas or will the Longhorns break the collective hearts of Husker Nation one last time? Click Read More for the video preview of Texas vs. Nebraska and place your vote on whom you think will win the game.

Spoiler: show

Texas 20, Nebraska 17

Player of the Game:
    Texas WR John Chiles - 9 receptions, 153 yards; 1 carry, 18 rushing yards, 1 TD

Leaders:

Passing
    Texas: QB Garrett Gilbert – 25 of 46, 364 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
    Nebraska: QB Taylor Martinez – 10 of 24, 132 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT

Rushing
    Texas HB: Tre Newton – 20 attempts, 59 yards
    Nebraska: HB Roy Helu Jr – 25 attempts, 78 yards

Receiving
    Texas: WR John Chiles – 9 receptions, 153 yards, 1 TD
    Nebraska: WR Curenski Gilleylen – 1 reception, 61 yards, 1 TD

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter
    2:36 TD Neb: M. McNeill, 21 yard pass from T. Martinez (A. Henery kick)
    1:37 FG Neb: A. Henery, 36 yard FG

2nd Quarter
    3:45 TD Texas: 16 yard pass from G. Gilbert (J. Tucker kick)
    1:28 TD Neb: C. Gilleylen, 61 yard pass from T. Martinez (A. Henery kick)

3rd Quarter
    4:25 FG Texas: J. Tucker, 28 yard FG
    0:06 TD Texas: J. Chiles, 18 yard run (J. Tucker kick)

4th Quarter
    0:01 FG Texas: J. Tucker, 34 yard FG
    Comments 13 Comments
      cdj -
      Who will prevail?

- Texas
      - Nebraska
      steelerfan -
      This is a good example (along with the MSU/UM matchup last week) of the need for EA to address running QBs.

The 'Huskers will have to lay a real egg to drop this one.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      This is a good example (along with the MSU/UM matchup last week) of the need for EA to address running QBs.
      +1

When you guys did the sim did you use the default Nebraska playbook or something that fits their current style with Taylor Martinez? With all the Husker fans on this site I think it would be a miracle if Texas got more votes.
      JeffHCross -
      I'm honestly hesitant to believe that Nebraska will win. I want them to, and despite my historical admiration for Texas I'll be cheering for Nebraska ... but I just have this gut feeling that Texas will find a way to bottle up Taylor Martinez's running .. and I'm not sure what else Nebraska has right now. That's what I'm hoping they'll show me on the field on Saturday.
      ram29jackson -
      this should have been oneback vs one of you nebraska fans haha

if you had the time i think you should do a head to head and an AI vs AI for comparison
      Rudy -
      After UCLA freaking shredded Texas defense I don't have a lot of faith in them stopping Nebraska's running game. And I think Nebraska's defense will destroy that offense. I can't see Nebraska losing this game.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      When you guys did the sim did you use the default Nebraska playbook or something that fits their current style with Taylor Martinez? With all the Husker fans on this site I think it would be a miracle if Texas got more votes.
      We used the default playbooks. The only change came in the form of Iron Dragon's rosters.

We do have some UT fans on board - Oneback, Papa Lonestar, Marlowe, Jason_French....maybe more.

Having suffered through all of the close losses, I find it hard to put NU as a definitive favorite. UT had a week off to get ready and there's some talk that OC Greg Davis will open things up more for Gilbert. I think it'll be another very close game against Texas but I hope it finally has a happy ending.
      ram29jackson -
      the game uses the spread for Texas STILL. If I'm mistaken, they dont use the spread this year/

last year i read that they werent going to.
      JeffHCross -
      They do ... kinda. They don't really do much of anything on offense, so it's hard to say what they're using.

I feel compelled to notify the administrators of this site that I will be taking a case to College Football Final's Final Verdict ... the blatant homerism in choosing Texas/Nebraska over Ohio State/Wisconsin ... I shall not stand for it, sirs.

cdj -
      Texas came in with a better gameplan and executed very well. NU has a long ways to go nationally.
      JeffHCross -
      And now, in hindsight (and it took until the 4th quarter), Ohio State / Wisconsin looks like the Game of the Week.
      Rudy -
      Nebraska crapped the bed. Much like Michigan showed against Iowa, run-first spread offenses need balance against good defenses. If you can't throw the ball you will struggle. Of course a few key drops really hurt Nebraska on Saturday. Michigan's loss to Iowa was particularly disappointing because Denard looked clueless as a passer. I don't think he completed a pass more than 5 yards and was really indecisive. Tate was much better throwing the ball and almost pulled them back. Of course we needed a defensive stand which never happened.

Ohio St. looked terrible in the first half against Wisconsin and they were never really able to stop their ground game. Wisconsin deserved the win. South Carolina blows a 28-10 lead and the Top 10 is crazy. Nevada losing to Hawaii will hurt Boise St. some more but Boise should have a spot in the Top Two now.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Nevada losing to Hawaii will hurt Boise St. some more but Boise should have a spot in the Top Two now.
      Combine that with Oregon State's loss to Washington and Boise playing San Jose St, and their strength of schedule took a pounding yesterday.

Nevada's loss shouldn't drop them far ... I say shouldn't in the idealistic view of the way the world should work, not the way it actually does. Hawaii has been playing some teams very close at their place this year, and Nevada had a shot late. But, of course, since they're Nevada and no longer undefeated, they'll drop like a rock.