Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 17 - General Impressions & Game Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    And what I thought would happen is happening.

Complaints about kicking PAT's being difficult lol

People want tougher things, they make it that way then complaints happen. I'm sure it won't take long for people to master it, just need time. Last time meter was changed in 09,10 alot of people were hot. Lag was biggest issue with that though.

Look forward to it.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Yeah, dude that's a game changer and in Rex's ear was streaming and bitching about it. Really turned me off. He stopped streaming because of the loss against someone because of it. Like, seriously? It's just a game. (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Yeah, dude that's a game changer and in Rex's ear was streaming and bitching about it. Really turned me off. He stopped streaming because of the loss against someone because of it. Like, seriously? It's just a game. (sigh)
    That's pathetic. What a baby bitch. Hopefully, that "Gamechanger" will be put on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    And what I thought would happen is happening.

Complaints about kicking PAT's being difficult lol

People want tougher things, they make it that way then complaints happen. I'm sure it won't take long for people to master it, just need time. Last time meter was changed in 09,10 alot of people were hot. Lag was biggest issue with that though.

Look forward to it.
    I've found that if you go into Customize - Settings - Settings - Visual Feedback and turn Enlarge On Field Graphics to ON, it will make the kick meter much larger and easier to time the power and accuracy. I haven't played a ton, but have yet to miss a kick with it this way.

Just for curiosity's sake, I'd love to know who that was. Please PM me. I have some guesses, but would love to know for sure.

I would hope a GC wouldn't be complaining before launch about such a feature, but nothing shocks me anymore. It's about time special teams/kicks matter; misses and concern should be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Just for curiosity's sake, I'd love to know who that was. Please PM me. I have some guesses, but would love to know for sure.

I would hope a GC wouldn't be complaining before launch about such a feature, but nothing shocks me anymore. It's about time special teams/kicks matter; misses and concern should be welcomed.
    PM sent

Spot on, Chris.

I mean, that's what I said to him. He was saying specifically that it was lag where he was playing online against someone, to which I said, I mean, they have to play with that lag as well.

It was just really shitty cause I plan on playing in his super sim league and it kinda made me second guess that decision because of how he was acting. Maybe he was just having a bad day. I don't know, but it was kinda shitty to see.

I mean, that's what I said to him. He was saying specifically that it was lag where he was playing online against someone, to which I said, I mean, they have to play with that lag as well.
    I haven't played online, but I was under the impression (hoping?) all of the button presses on FG kicks were done offline and then synced (probably wrong terminology, but I hope it makes sense) to avoid lag screwing with it.

Also, this year the online infrastructure is different (going through servers instead of P2P) so some issues (IP booting? lag switching?) no longer exist. Not saying all lag is gone, but it should be a better overall experience.

I haven't played online, but I was under the impression (hoping?) all of the button presses on FG kicks were done offline and then synced (probably wrong terminology, but I hope it makes sense) to avoid lag screwing with it.

Also, this year the online infrastructure is different (going through servers instead of P2P) so some issues (IP booting? lag switching?) no longer exist. Not saying all lag is gone, but it should be a better overall experience.
    Ah, well, in that case, it sounds like he was experiencing lag on his own end where he was streaming as well or something. I don't know. The whole thing was just off putting because any time he runs into something that doesn't seem right, he was emailing Rex about it or something and it just seemed really gross...

That would make sense. I think the system change will prevent your opponent from experiencing lag if you are on a slow connection, but if he was streaming he was likely giving himself lag.

I've found that if you go into Customize - Settings - Settings - Visual Feedback and turn Enlarge On Field Graphics to ON, it will make the kick meter much larger and easier to time the power and accuracy. I haven't played a ton, but have yet to miss a kick with it this way.
    Figured there would be a make it easier solution.

I welcomed the difficulty in kicks. The meter everyone hated had its issues and they patched it to better suit online gamers. The lag did cause for a lot of missed kicks back then. I recall shanking several PAT's myself very badly if you had a bad kicker.

I suppose the kick arc is still in the game as well.

As a guy said on the stream, someone will lose a money/tourney game this year on a kick

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I always have in-game commentary on my streams.

They are archived so then I make stream a Highlight so that I can export to Youtube. I've only had the music muted thus far
    Yeah, I've already completely killed all the music in the menus. I'll probably go with some more streaming later today, play a full game instead of just to halftime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-21-2016 at 12:05 PM.

The kicks are definitely harder. Hell, even in the training section, I was shanking field goal attempts while playing the special teams training. In fact, I think I ended up shanking all 5 field goals they have you try. And shanking bad! Up close, like PAT close, the odds of shanking are small unless you just completely blow it on the meter, but from distance, like a 40-50+ yard field goal, you better be damn accurate on that meter or you're gonna miss.

After spending part of the day yesterday playing (and the rest sleeping as I had been awake for going on nearly 24 hours by the time I finally had to quit the game and crashed from exhaustion mid-afternoon), just some basic thoughts so far.

First, again, kicks are definitely harder with the changes they made. I was shanking field goals left and right yesterday, so it's gonna take some work and practice to actually master the new changes and the meter and be able to consistently kick field goals with confidence.

Default All-Madden really does feel good! I didn't have any feeling of being cheated or hamstrung by the CPU in a couple games yesterday. I was able to make some big plays and flashy plays, make some incredible catches and break some big runs, while at the same time having the defense stand up and just shut me down on plays. And when I got blown up by the CPU, it was usually my fault. I'd get hammered on a sack after holding the ball too long waiting for a play to unfold, and likewise have a drive crash and burn because I'd make a stupid pass into the middle of a group of defenders. It never really felt like I was being cheated by a super LB or super safety or corner like back in the day on NCAA and Madden. It was usually because I'd throw to a receiver I should have skipped, or because I'd screw up and threw a bullet pass when I should have thrown a lob, or a regular pass when I should have thrown a high pass.

I haven't delved too much into franchise yet, but what I have seen of it, I do like the new way of doing the game plan each week. There actually is a feeling of not only needing and wanting to perform your best in the game plan practices, but they help you learn to not only recognize, but also counter the various offenses and defenses that you'll face against the team you're playing that week. While I haven't spent much time yet in Franchise, I am really liking the additions and changes they made to it this year, so for a change, I am actually looking forward to spending some serious time in Franchise mode on Madden.

I only very briefly spent time on MUT (which I usually pretty much universally ignore in each and every sports game) and Draft Champions, so not much I can say about those yet.

There is apparently a bug in Franchise mode where after you hit the offseason during the combine information and everything, you can see all the stats for some of the higher rated draftees.

Here is the reddit thread about it.

EA already knows about it and they're looking into it. Response from John White (also in the linked thread above) is that there will be a response on when it'll be fixed on Monday, hopefully the first week of patches.

It's not a huge deal for singleplayer franchise stuff, but anyone hoping to do an Online Franchise with other people, might want to wait until this fix comes through because it's kinda cheating to know all the stats of a draftee before even drafting them.

So you liked all madden a lot Smooth? Once I get good I have occasionally used it but my biggest beef in the past has been cpu qbs get too good and similar on that level. I do like the challenge although I'm going to be so rusty I will just suck at first.

I've read people saying the CPU does a good job of throwing it to their top receivers. I hope that continues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    So you liked all madden a lot Smooth? Once I get good I have occasionally used it but my biggest beef in the past has been cpu qbs get too good and similar on that level. I do like the challenge although I'm going to be so rusty I will just suck at first.

I've read people saying the CPU does a good job of throwing it to their top receivers. I hope that continues to improve.
    Yeah, it does feel good this year! I've managed to get some sacks because my defense kept the receivers locked up long enough, a couple interceptions and some knock downs. I would give up some big passes and annoying third down conversions, but it was always due to a receiver just plain getting open in my secondary as opposed to an absurd pass and catch like in the past.

Same with the run game. With some timely spins and jukes, I've broken runs for 10, 20, even 50 yards once, and can usually average 2-4 yards a carry over the course of a game. Other times I get blasted at the line of scrimmage for no gain. Likewise on defense, I'd at times come blasting through and destroy a run play at the line nd other times I'd get burned for 5-10 yards.

It seems the most to either be me just plain out of position or a well timed block or cut by an offense player to let the CPU break for a big gain. But it has never felt cheap. There hasn't been that feeling of cheese like that in previous games. Most times the CPU burns me has been because of my own doings and screw-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, I've already completely killed all the music in the menus. I'll probably go with some more streaming later today, play a full game instead of just to halftime.

Unless it's different on Xbox?

Here is my most recent stream. I never cut off music or anything. I just use the method I posted a few pages ago using Twitch but cutting the muted part.

Though I may regret it, I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering this just a few minutes ago.

I've watched quite a bit of videos of this game today - at least 2-3 hours worth. I didn't see anything that was game-breaking for me personally and I actually liked most of what I saw.

I know there will be some things that get under my skin (no formation subs on special teams) but I think the good will outweigh the bad.

It was a tough decision to buy this game because I just bought No Man's Sky, I'm still interested in NHL 17, will buy FIFA 17 and the possibility exists that we're just about 2 months from Friday the 13th: The Game which I have already pre-ordered.

That's potentially 5 games in 2 months. There are years where I don't buy 5 games so having that much shit to play is a little overwhelming.

Anyway, I'm back on Madden for the first time since Madden 12 and just the fourth time since the release of the PlayStation 3 more than 10 years ago.