Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 16 Gameplay: AI Improvements and Penalties

• Facebook
  • Display

Madden NFL 16 Gameplay: AI Improvements and Penalties

Part three of the Madden NFL 16 Gameplay Deep Dives takes a look at the game’s revamped AI, as well as all-new realistic penalties.

PENALTIES

Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency.

Every player is assigned a Penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which determines how likely they are to commit a penalty; an undisciplined player has a far greater chance of committing a penalty than a disciplined player.

Players’ in-game strategy has an impact on penalties as well. For example, pressing cornerbacks are more likely to commit a defensive holding penalty, while goalline and max protect calls make offensive holding penalties more likely. Mistiming the “Off the Line” mechanic can easily draw a neutral zone infraction or encroachment penalty.

Finally, all penalty sliders have been updated to allow players to fully customize the experience to their liking. The Default slider setting is based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons to make both penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible.

The list of new and updated penalties includes:

Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

PROCEDURAL AWARENESS HEAD TRACKING

As the Madden NFL franchise moves forward with its “Player Sense” theme, one of the biggest detractors was a lack of true head tracking for all players across all situations.

Madden NFL 16 includes added logic for QBs, RBs, WRs and defenders so that each head and eye track (the ball and players around them) uniquely based on their position.

Quarterbacks will scan the field for open receivers, ball carriers will alternate their gaze between incoming defenders, and players will track other players around them after the play. You may even see players looking up at the scoreboard on a breakaway run.

PRE, POST, AND DURING PLAY MOTION QUALITY

The quality of player motion has been a primary point of emphasis for the Madden NFL team for several years now. This year, we made huge strides in pre, post and during play motion quality. This touches several major systems like huddle break, walk to line, pile get up logic, pile avoidance, post play path finding and more. When it comes to in-game animation quality improvements, the list is endless.

Players can expect a dramatic reduction in pops, warps, slides, and other issues in Madden NFL 16. This will continue to be a focal point for us as we strive towards our goal of animation quality.

LEGACY ISSUES

In addition to all the new features being added, the team continue to address the feedback and concerns of our community.

A number of legacy issues have been addressed in Madden NFL 16, mostly around exploited mechanics or solidifying features meant to counter those exploits. Here are some highlights:

• QB Spy logic updated (QB swerves the spy exploit)
    • Flip the Play to speed up huddle break issue has been addressed
    • Out of position subs causing exploitable routes has been addressed
    • Rocket Catching / Mossing / DB Glitches have been significantly reduced and/or eliminated
    • A large percentage of the known “nano-blitzes” have been removed
    • The PA End Around exploit play has been addressed.
    • Route swapping exploits have also been resolved.
    • A variety of ‘money plays’ have been revised or altered.
    • Resolved the friendly quit glitch for Madden NFL 16

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more Madden NFL 16 deep dives, and be sure to check out more on this year’s gameplay.

Penalties, huh?

I'm listening.

Their blogs sounds great. Need to see it to believe it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Their blogs sounds great. Need to see it to believe it though.
    This. I've been burned by "sounds great" way too many times.

E3 is the king of sounds great.

I got to play about 30 minutes of Madden 16 last week but not sure how much I am allowed to say.

Nice Ryby.

Hmm a lot of that was stated I've been interested in

Clint tweeted at me that the run defence is a lot better.

Good to hear that the nano blitzes and players out of position during hurry up have been fixed. With penalties I don't believe it... after all the years I will not give EA a pass on this one. They need to prove it via a demo or sustained video footage.

Everything is prove it to me. These blogs honestly seem to good to be true but I won't be mean, jaded guy and will simply wait for impressions to come out from the floor. Last year they promoted inaccurate qbs and then the casual fan hated it and it was scrapped for release.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Nice Ryby.

Hmm a lot of that was stated I've been interested in
    Yeah, I was selected for the playtest they had last Tuesday. When I know for sure I will give you guys my brief impressions based on my short time playing.

I just hope we don't have to turn the sliders to 100 to get some penalties.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I just hope we don't have to turn the sliders to 100 to get some penalties.
    The issue is that historically the penalty sliders are tied in with gameplay mechanics. I'm not sold that the devs have fixed this issues. For example, turning up pass interference would make db's not fight for the ball. Has Tiburon figured out a way to seperate the two?

Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
    Yeah, I was selected for the playtest they had last Tuesday. When I know for sure I will give you guys my brief impressions based on my short time playing.
    Just give TGT's Resident Lawyer the NDA you undoubtedly signed and I'll let you know if/what you can say.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Just give TGT's Resident Lawyer the NDA you undoubtedly signed and I'll let you know if/what you can say.
    What about an NDA that you weren't given a copy of, but which listed the wrong product?
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Nearly full game and not many penalties. I really liked cpu qb play here. Took shots, scrambles and I was impressed. The user sucked trying to force the ball to OBJ almost every play. Good news was he couldn't spam new catches to be successful. I think those new catches are going to be great. Still concerned over DTs getting doubled and blown off the ball although I did see the NT split a double at 12:40. I just want the inside vs outside runs balanced and not too easy.

https://youtu.be/oXLyYtb_dHQ

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    What about an NDA that you weren't given a copy of, but which listed the wrong product?
    Sounds like you can say whatever you damn well please without legal repercussion. Although I suspect you would never be invited back.

[QUOTE=Rudy;1734974292]Nearly full game and not many penalties. I really liked cpu qb play here. Took shots, scrambles and I was impressed. The user sucked trying to force the ball to OBJ almost every play. Good news was he couldn't spam new catches to be successful. I think those new catches are going to be great. Still concerned over DTs getting doubled and blown off the ball although I did see the NT split a double at 12:40. I just want the inside vs outside runs balanced and not too easy.

Well that answers my question about a new commentary team...

I don't know Rudy, I am struggling to see a difference to Madden 15. Still major issues with line interaction IMO.

I hope we get more detailed impressions. OS had some today.