Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax

• Facebook
  • Display

Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
    Manti Te’o Told Interviewer Lennay Kekua Wrote Him Letters Through Stanford Game, 31 Days After She Died [UPDATE: Claimed He Got One Before Wake Forest]

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...fter-she-died/
    It's starting to sound like the intended story is that "she" wrote those letters in advance of her death, one for each game. That's why in that interview he says "it's kind of creepy".

TigerDroppings all over it as usual...
    http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p...irlfriend.aspx

Here's my favorite:

Meme generators working overtime today

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Why is this the biggest story in America? Didn't Obama announce sweeping gun control recommendations on the same day? Shouldn't that trump this girlfriend story? #Priorities
    Meh some college kid lying about having a GF and getting caught EASILY trumps an imperial president running rough shot over the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution in today's culture.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I don't really care, it doesn't directly affect me. I'm never gonna buy an assault rifle in my life. I might consider buying a handgun sometime in the future, do some sport shooting at a local range or something, but no reason at all why I'd ever need to own a fucking assault rifle. So, meh, really don't care too much about the current gun stuff since I have nothing to do with it.

For me, the reason it's a big story to me is because the entire nation was basically defrauded with all the publicity, coverage, mentions, discussions, etc about the grandmother and girlfriend. The Te'o's and others at one point were soliciting donations to leukemia charities in memory of this fake girlfriend. Lots of people, myself included, believe Te'o was in on it from day one to try and build up a national story about himself and try and build the foundation for a Heisman campaign. And if it ends up that he really was duped and wasn't in on the whole thing, then he has shown to the entire world that he is one seriously major naive fucker to sit there for months and years on end thinking this girl existed and never meeting her, even with the couple trips to Stanford. And then the contradictory remarks between the claims he and Notre Dame are now making in their statements and the things he has said about the imaginary girlfriend in the past, it all smells like a massive pile of bullshit to avoid getting swept up in a boldface lie and save some shred of his reputation ahead of the NFL draft.
    If ESPN stops forcing this shit in our faces, every fucking weekend they have some sad story about how someone overcame adversity. Look I get life sucks, now start the damn game!! That shit drives me nuts, so its not really this kids fault that they felt compelled to tell us about it every week ND played and ran a story on it, did he stop it no, but its not 100% his fault either.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    TigerDroppings all over it as usual...
    http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p...irlfriend.aspx

Here's my favorite:
    Nice! The Usual Suspects getting some meme love. I approve!

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    If ESPN stops forcing this shit in our faces, every fucking weekend they have some sad story about how someone overcame adversity. Look I get life sucks, now start the damn game!! That shit drives me nuts, so its not really this kids fault that they felt compelled to tell us about it every week ND played and ran a story on it, did he stop it no, but its not 100% his fault either.
    Tom Rinaldi is glad he dodged that bullet and gave it to Wojo

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    I agree there. The national championship game was unbearable, they wouldn't miss a single opportunity to bring up the dead grandma and girlfriend. So I agree with that, they do need to give it a rest after a while. ESPN overkills every fucking thing they touch.

But, if Te'o was indeed complicit in this whole fraud from day one, and it was created to create some national sympathy story and try and use it to leap into a Heisman campaign, then this is indeed a big story, as a player tried to fraudulently gain national recognition and use it to put his name in the national headlines and make a run at a major, prestigious college football award with that created publicity, an award that would no doubt result in a higher draft pick, which would mean a more lucrative contract from whichever NFL team drafted him.

And if it was all created by Te'o and whoever else was involved, then it was a massive lie that they went to longer lengths than most to pull off, creating fake twitter accounts, writing letters/emails, etc, creating all the major details of the life of this fictional girl to tell to the media in interviews and stories, etc. I sure as hell wouldn't go to those lengths. Granted, they got caught with their pants down in the end, with no record of this girl graduating from Stanford, no police records of an accident, no hospital records of her battle with leukemia, no death records or obituaries published. Then the contradictory comments, between the Notre Dame and Te'o statements now saying it was a relationship that was entirely online and they never met, and Te'o was duped, whereas in the past, Te'o said he met her after a Stanford game, and Te'o family said she one time even flew to Hawaii when Te'o was at home, etc. It all reeks.

Then you have the public, technically, being defrauded as a shit ton of people donated to leukemia research funds and other stuff in memory of this fake girlfriend as a means of support for Te'o. Would they have still donated without the whole dead girlfriend story? Some maybe, but 99% probably not. So all these people were making donations in memory of this girlfriend that died of leukemia, only to find out that she never existed.

So this is more than just some football player telling a lie and getting caught and that's all. It's a much bigger story than that. It may not be on the same level as all the political happenings currently going on, but who gives a fuck? This is a thread about a college football story in a college football forum. If other people and posters want to talk about certain stories, they can go talk about them somewhere else. Just because there are some big stories in the political world doesn't mean every other fucking story in other aspects of life suddenly stop and cease to exists like Te'o fake girlfriend. And it doesn't mean that some of us don't want to get away from all the never ending political bullshit and just talk sports or something else for a change.

Hear Hear!!!

I'm kinda wondering if none of this stuff even happened to Te'o, would he have been a Heisman finalist? You have to ask yourself that now. In my opinion, and quite a few others, Jarvis Jones was the best defensive player in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I'm kinda wondering if none of this stuff even happened to Te'o, would he have been a Heisman finalist? You have to ask yourself that now. In my opinion, and quite a few others, Jarvis Jones was the best defensive player in the nation.
    Well, the perfect season by Notre Dame certainly helped a lot, as Te'o and the entire team got daily publicity from being and going undefeated throughout the season. As for Te'o personally, was he being considered a top candidate to win the Heisman going into this season? Was he a name on the list but not necessarily a front runner? Or did he suddenly leap up the list after that big game that he had after the whole grandmother and "girlfriend" dying story broke and he became a national name from all the interviews and news stories about everything with the deaths?

If he was already being considered a candidate, then it certainly helped some, maybe pushing him from top 5 or near the top of the list to #1/#2 right there with Johnny Football on the Heisman ballots, but he probably would have been up there at least top 5.

But if he suddenly leaped up the list and appeared as a Heisman candidate in the week(s) after that much publicized game after the death of his grandmother and fake girlfriend, then I honestly don't think he would have been there competing for it at the end. He might have made his way into the top 5 at the very end with the season Notre Dame had and all that coverage of the team as a whole helping, but I don't think he would have been in contention to win it without that sympathy story breaking if he wasn't already in contention before it.

A per usual when ridiculous stuff like this comes out, I will wait for everything to come out before passing judgement.

That said, I've always been one to not give a shit about a player after he's done playing for my college team. Doing otherwise makes it difficult as a Steelers fan when the player ends up with a team I absolutely hate.

I'm just ready for this to be over so everyone can quit speculating about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I think he would have still.

I don't really watch College Football that much or follow it heavily. Yet I knew who he was and what he was doing on the field WAY before hearing about that story. It didn't make me like him even more or appreciate what he was doing.

Don't think he won those awards based on that either.

As I was telling my wife lastnight..he didn't need publicity as people likely already knew of him before anyway...especially if they picked up a newspaper, watched CFB or ESPN prior to them jumping all over that story.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I'm just ready for this to be over so everyone can quit speculating about it.
    Basically. And I'd like to see him play some more football.

And it wasn't just him that played shitty and got beat down in the game...the entire team did along with the Coaching staff

It's just sad that this is getting so much attention yet this gets nothing from the media or Notre Dame.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/17/notr...uble_standard/

There is a more about the incident around the web if you want to search around also.

I don't have any real proof but I've read on message boards for ND that the player involved played or was dressed for every game this year.

Here is another piece from Deadspin many have probably not read that are more alarming to me then a fake girlfriend

http://deadspin.com/5897809/this-is-...assaulting-you

Even though most people don't like Mel Kiper, but for reference's sake, he has Te'o at #8 in the initial mock.