Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    People lie when they meet online. Still a ton of stigma there. The rest of this story may be a stretch, but I have no real problem with that part.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    People lie when they meet online. Still a ton of stigma there. The rest of this story may be a stretch, but I have no real problem with that part.
    I dunno. It's more prevalent now. To me it was to gain national sympathy and recognition for a Heisman push. Too much of it just doesn't add up.

The dude abides.

This goes from funny, to sad, back to funny in just about 3 minutes. Why would you lie about something like that, let me rephrase "who lies about something like this"? I kinda wish he won the heisman now, just so I can see the spectacle.

I dunno. It's more prevalent now.
    I'm speaking from personal knowledge. Doesn't matter how common it becomes, some people still feel it's necessary to lie about.

I'm not talking about the larger question about a fake or not fake girlfriend. Just the quote of how they met. I understand that.

The guy also said they talked every night on the phone. I could believe Manti was duped if someone had a fake girl on the other end of a line. But this went on way too long and he was friends with the guy that created the twitter accounts and responded to him. They all deleted a lot of those tweets too in an effort to destroy evidence. Who would want to draft this guy? Someone will because the NFL is a whore for talent but this is brutal.

This story may be the weirdest thing I've ever heard of:

Nev Schulman ‏@NevSchulman
    I am working on finding out more about this @MTeo_5 #Catfish story. I have been in contact with the woman involved and will get the truth.

People were joking on Twitter a month ago about Lennay being a hoax

Arizona Cardinals FB Reagan Mauia Claims To Have Met Lennay Kekua

Manti Te’o Told Interviewer Lennay Kekua Wrote Him Letters Through Stanford Game, 31 Days After She Died [UPDATE: Claimed He Got One Before Wake Forest]

Matthew Masifilo @MMasifilo [Stanford FB player]
    Got to believe Te'o was the victim here. He would always ask us if we knew his mystery girl after we'd play them....

At best, Te'o is a complete dope who believes the word gullible is not in the dictionary. At worst, he helped perpetuate a lie to enhance his image. Not exactly the best win-win situation for a guy. At least if he got duped, people will end up supporting him.....but he will always be the butt of jokes.

Why is this the biggest story in America? Didn't Obama announce sweeping gun control recommendations on the same day? Shouldn't that trump this girlfriend story? #Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Why is this the biggest story in America? Didn't Obama announce sweeping gun control recommendations on the same day? Shouldn't that trump this girlfriend story? #Priorities
    Ahhh only people who care about assault rifles care about the gun laws, but everyone cares about someone looking stupid.

I agree though, its not really that important but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Ahhh only people who care about assault rifles care about the gun laws, but everyone cares about someone looking stupid.

I agree though, its not really that important but it is what it is.
    I don't really care, it doesn't directly affect me. I'm never gonna buy an assault rifle in my life. I might consider buying a handgun sometime in the future, do some sport shooting at a local range or something, but no reason at all why I'd ever need to own a fucking assault rifle. So, meh, really don't care too much about the current gun stuff since I have nothing to do with it.

For me, the reason it's a big story to me is because the entire nation was basically defrauded with all the publicity, coverage, mentions, discussions, etc about the grandmother and girlfriend. The Te'o's and others at one point were soliciting donations to leukemia charities in memory of this fake girlfriend. Lots of people, myself included, believe Te'o was in on it from day one to try and build up a national story about himself and try and build the foundation for a Heisman campaign. And if it ends up that he really was duped and wasn't in on the whole thing, then he has shown to the entire world that he is one seriously major naive fucker to sit there for months and years on end thinking this girl existed and never meeting her, even with the couple trips to Stanford. And then the contradictory remarks between the claims he and Notre Dame are now making in their statements and the things he has said about the imaginary girlfriend in the past, it all smells like a massive pile of bullshit to avoid getting swept up in a boldface lie and save some shred of his reputation ahead of the NFL draft.

Screw the gun laws, this is somehow the biggest sports story right now, let alone non-sports. Which is weird.

I suspect part of the reason for all the press is that it's as much a story about the press getting defrauded as it is about Manti

Varsity
    Gotta feel bad for the kid. I'm guessing there's something underlying, like the kid is in the closet. I'd imagine if he were, it's not really conducive to his future job prospects in the NFL or his religious background (Mormon, if I remember correctly). A made up hot girlfriend who is not local and then is suddenly unavailable would help cover that up well. No one is going to question why he doesn't date with a story of his girlfriend passing under horrible circumstances. May have gotten out of hand and then snowballed.

Any other explanation is either so farfetched (never meeting her in person over that period of time) or dishonest (making her up to improve his public stature) that it's hard to believe.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    No, if because it (gun laws) is something that should have happened a LONG time ago. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have a fuckin' semi-automatic (and EASILY made automatic) assault rifle in the hands of a non-military person.

Guns are fun to shoot, there's no doubt about that, but I would never own one because there's absolutely no need for a civilian, in my mind, to own a gun. For every story about some gun owner shooting an intruder, there are probably 20 stories of an innocent person getting shot by a gun because of people being paranoid (one immediately comes to mind of some old fuck with a rifle shooting his own son because his son used his key to open the old man's door to his house and the old fuck shot him because he stupidly thought he was an intruder).

Anyone that claims that they need a gun to feel safe where they live, I have three words for you: MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE. If you're so god damn paranoid of where you live, then find somewhere else to live. You don't need a fuckin' gun to feel safe. If anything, you're probably more likely to not be safe with it then you are.

Warren Sapp said it well... "He never skype w/ her?"

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Te'o is lying. There is absolutely no other explanation. Why would his friend make her up and go through all the trouble he went through on twitter for any other reason? His friend isn't making money off of it. Therefore, there is no motive for his friend to do it. So, the only explanation is Te'o is lying and he used to it to build his reputation up in the hopes that getting his name out there would make him a likely candidate for the Heisman, and thus increase his draft stock and making more money.

Oprah has to be pissed. All the heat just evaporated off Lance.

I bet Lance is thankful this story came out.

I don't believe for a second that Te'o wasn't in on this. There's just too many things that don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Exactly. So many things fail the smell test here.

That's at least third behind Lance.

You knew it was coming...

Manti Te’o Told Interviewer Lennay Kekua Wrote Him Letters Through Stanford Game, 31 Days After She Died [UPDATE: Claimed He Got One Before Wake Forest]

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...fter-she-died/