Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rudy and Jaymo's Madden CCM experience

• Facebook
  • Display

Rudy and Jaymo's Madden CCM experience

This is my second year with the Miami Dolphins and while I've had a difficult time getting the sliders correct (All-Pro may always be too easy due to weaker cpu passing and poor game management) but I figured I would post the results of my magical season. I am embarrassed at going 16-0 in the regular season but no sense in apologizing anymore.

MIAMI DOLPHINS 2013-14

This Miami Dolphins team was under-estimated and overlooked at the start of the year. But this isn’t the same Dolphins team people expected to see at the start of the 2012 year. Many changes have taken place.

OFFENCE

Ryan Tannehill continues to improve and looks to be the answer at QB. He had a strong 2013 regular season.

Reggie Bush left for the Detroit Lions in the offseason while young RBs Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas more than capably filled the void. Miller’s speed made him one of the league’s best rushers while Thomas filled the short yardage roles and got quite a few carries himself.

Signing Kellen Winslow was one of the best moves any team saw in free agency. He was able to stay healthy and was a tremendous weapon in the passing game. James Jones was acquired via trade and Braylon Edwards (hurt half the season) were the new starting wide receivers. Young Louis Swain has the most speed and made some big plays despite inconsistent hands.

The OL featured anchors in Jake Long at LT and Mike Pouncey at C. Young Jonathon Martin is steady at RT while free agent guards filled out an OL with the lowest starter rated at 81.

DEFENCE
    The front seven is extremely strong with top notch DTs in Randy Starks and Big Paul Soliai clogging the middle. Cam Wake is the top rated player and plays at RE although his production is sometimes limited due to the RE/ROLB being artificially slowed down by EA’s engine giving the LE more ease to make plays. Lawrence Jackson was signed to be play LE and almost set the sack record in his first year with Miami. Again, the lowest rated player on the DL is 82. We led the NFL with 61 sacks this year.

The LB corp is also strong with all starters rated at 85-86. Dansby fills the middle while Kevin Burnett manned the weakside and nickel spots. Free agent acquisition DeAndre Levy was solid on the strong side while Koa Misi backed up all spots.

The secondary is the weakest part of the defence with both safeties rated 79-81. The starting CBs are 84-85 with the nickel back at 78. The 2013-14 Dolphins defence ranked 3rd against the runs (yards) but first against the pass. The team was middle of the road with regards to interceptions.

The team finished a perfect 16-0 in the regular season and got a first round bye in the playoffs.

PLAYOFFS

The first matchup in the divisional round was the Peyton Manning led Denver Broncos. They knocked the Dolphins out of the playoffs last year and were looking to do it again. They took a 23-7 lead in the 3rd quarter but Tannehill led two straight TD drives and two two point conversions to tie the game. Peyton Manning had completed 80% of his passes for 200 yards and 2 TDs with 0 INTs until the 4th quarter when he threw his only pick of the game. That led to the game winning TD for a close 30-23 Dolphins win.

The next matchup was against Phillip Rivers who holds on to the ball far too long. The Dolphins sacked him like crazy and the OL and DL of 12-4 San Diego were not good. This led to an easy 26-0 AFC Championship.

SUPERBOWL 48 IN NEW YORK AT MET LIFE STADIUM

It was a cold Superbowl this year. 31 degrees in New York as the Dolphins took on the Packers with the Patriots favoured despite the perfect Dolphins. Reminds me of 1972 when the perfect Dolphins were also underdogs! Aaron Rodgers wasn’t the only great player on his team. Both lines were pretty solid and Clay Matthews is a beast.

I must say a couple things about the presentation. It was pretty nice for the Superbowl. EA actually added a new theme score at the beginning; there are more pre-game shots along with the F-16 flyover. It felt nice.

I won the coin toss and elected to receive although I don’t generally get off to good starts. The Packers totally stuffed my running game in the first half. The halftime stats showed they completely dominated me. My only highlight was an 80 yard kickoff return where I was tackled at the 15. I tried to punch it in on 4th down, inches from the goalline but was stuffed. That really hurt. I trailed 13-3 at half time. Their defensive plays confused me at times and their various blitz packages nailed me. Clay Matthews had two sacks during the game and GB totalled 6 overall. Worse yet, Green Bay’s Shonn Greene was running the ball on me and he finished with over 100 yards on the day.

The second half didn’t start out a lot better than the first. I struggled to run the ball but got my passing game going a bit. Again I got a first down inside the 5 yard line but ended up settling for a FG. I had a hard time stopping the Packers offence and they scored a TD early in the 4th quarter and took a 27-13 lead. I felt like the undefeated Patriots as they saw the Giants ruin their perfect season.

The Patriots had a two TD lead and also had the ball back and were marching. They got inside my 30 yard line when Rodgers took a shot deep. My FS Chris Clemons picked him off in the end zone! The first turnover of the game and it was huge! I score a TD to cut the lead to 27-20. Again the Packers are driving on me and get inside my 25. Aaron Rodgers scrambles inside my 20 but fumbles on a hard hit! I recover and with only a few minutes left in the game I score a TD left and the game heads to OT at 27-27!

Overtime
    I win the coin toss, get the ball but only manage one first down and punt. I force GB to punt as well. Finally on the next possession Lamar Miller busts two decent runs to get me in FG range. I get the ball down to the 23 and on third down I kick the winning FG! 30-27! It was awesome. My hands were sweating badly since the start of the 4th quarter and I was sweaty overall lol. I can’t remember the last time I actually won a Superbowl in Madden.

The post-game presentation was nice. Again there was some different music played in the background. Confetti rained down as my players celebrated. Ryan Tannehill was awarded the Pete Rozelle trophy as the player of the game. He finished 24-49 for 343 yards and 3 TDs with no picks (sacked 6 times). Aaron Rodgers was 25-40, 283 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT (and one costly fumble). The Dolphins sacked him four times. Shonn Greene was 17-123 and 1 TD. Lamar Miller ended up 17-91 although a good part of those yards were in OT. Daniel Thomas only had 8 carries for 8 yards. Kellen Winslow led all receivers with 11 grabs, 147 yards and 1 TD. My young kick returner had 6 returns for 221 yards (80 long).

Troy Aikman then came out and presented me, Ryan Tannehill and Braylon Edwards the Lombardi trophy in front of Roger Goodell. It was a nice touch and a thrilling end to a perfect season.

A NEW LEGEND?
    In only his second year, Miami Dolphins head coach Rudy Dolphin has a perfect season and a Superbowl trophy. That follows up a rookie campaign where he went 12-4. He doesn’t stack up to Vince Lombardi but he does rank slightly higher than Jim Schwartz and Jason Garrett.

Congratulations!

The funny thing is I can't remember the last time I won a Superbowl playing Madden. Possibly Madden '03 and I'm not sure I even did it then. I know I won a National Championship in NCAA 06 and 07. I think I won a title in NCAA 09 but I'm not sure. I remember losing one in 09 or '11. It's certainly been a drought though.

I've thought about going up to All-Madden or making a few more tweaks to All-Pro but All-Pro has its limits. If I go to All-Madden it would take a long time for me to get the sliders half decent too. In both my playoff game against the Broncos and Packers smarter game management down the stretch would have sunk me. But I'll take the win!

I didn't realize I said Patriots twice when I meant Packers obviously. I have two first rounders this year too as I traded away a 2nd rounder last year to a team desperate to move up. It was a late 2nd so I was happy to oblige. Free agency is a bit to easy to fill out weak spots and depth. I don't know why the CPU doesn't try to fill their holes better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I didn't realize I said Patriots twice when I meant Packers obviously. I have two first rounders this year too as I traded away a 2nd rounder last year to a team desperate to move up. It was a late 2nd so I was happy to oblige. Free agency is a bit to easy to fill out weak spots and depth. I don't know why the CPU doesn't try to fill their holes better.
    Well done Rudy! This was a very enjoyable read. Since I didn't pick up the game this year I am living vicariously through you. A few questions for you.

1. How did you go about progressing players? And, did you find it very effective?
    2. What is this salary cap glitch other people have mentioned? Does it affect offline?
    3. Have you seen any cpu trades yet (outside of the draft)?
    4. Any major issues for cpu teams (aka seven QB's and no TE's, etc.)?
    5. Just for fun... are my RAIDERS as bad in your game as they are in real life???

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Well done Rudy! This was a very enjoyable read. Since I didn't pick up the game this year I am living vicariously through you. A few questions for you.

1. How did you go about progressing players? And, did you find it very effective?
    2. What is this salary cap glitch other people have mentioned? Does it affect offline?
    3. Have you seen any cpu trades yet (outside of the draft)?
    4. Any major issues for cpu teams (aka seven QB's and no TE's, etc.)?
    5. Just for fun... are my RAIDERS as bad in your game as they are in real life???
    1. I auto progresses players every time. Seemed like too much work and possibly cheesy to do it manually.
    2. Some people get a bug where you are like a billion over the cap and you can't sign anyone. I don't know why and there is no fix. Game killer for those but I'm not affected. Not sure if it affects both offline and online.
    3. I think I did see a trade once (lots in the draft) but I don't pay attention
    to the CPU. I always read the news stories but they don't have everything and there is no transaction log. I signed Plaxico last year and I got zero notification he retired on me.
    Edit - yes there are trades. I can't remember if there are many during the regular season but definitely during pre-season. I've had the cpu offer stuff for guys I didn't even designate for the trade block. I've also traded for guys as well. But every week in pre-season there is a list of things to do and trade block is one of them. There are 2-4 players available every week and they will get moved. You pretty much have one shot at acquiring them. Put your best offer to the cpu and they will pick the best offer and pull the trigger. I think it took more than a 4th rounder for Delanie Walker since I offered that and I lost.
    4. I will check out the depth chart when I play them sometimes but I can't give you a great answer. One thing that bugs me is that you can't play a tackle at guard. So you have to make sure you have good depth at guard. This is crucial but I've seen the CPU with a good OL in 4 spots and then have a total bum rated 61 starting at a guard spot. Both the Chargers and Packers had this. Randy Starks totally dominated in the Charger game because of this and it's inexcusable. There are always cheap guys in free agency and nobody should have a starter under 75 the way the game is set up but the CPU doesn't take advantage like I do. I have no depth issues as a result.
    5. I hope they are bad. I think they (or Vikings) traded me this year's first rounder in my draft trade. I will go check on them and report back.
    Last edited by Rudy; 12-01-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Raider stats. It appears they have a hole at RG on their depth chart as well. The good RG starts at LG and the two horrible LGs are at RG. I'm scared to actually look at the rest of the teams and see how bad this is but bad RGs seem to be prevalent in the league. It does appear teams don't stock up on backups much at all. The Raiders had no backup FB (normal) but no backup SS or FS. I don't even know if they are filling out their 53 man roster. I didn't take pictures of all their depth charts but here are some stats and depth charts. Raiders went 5-11 and the Vikings fired Lesley Frasier. My extra first rounder should be good. The 49ers Delanie Walker is your starting TE. The 49ers traded him to the Bills for some unknown reason (teams that use two TEs don't recognize how important their second TEs are and often dump them - dumb). Then the Raiders signed him in FA. I tried to get him both times but the price for trade and in free agency was too rich (I think he got over $2.5 million a year). Mucci the WR was actually featured as one of the draft stories they do (up to maybe 8 kids get features throughout the year).

STANDINGS

STATS

Depth Chart

Last edited by Rudy; 12-01-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Forgot Jaymo but yes there are trades. I can't remember if there are many during the regular season but definitely during pre-season. I've had the cpu offer stuff for guys I didn't even designate for the trade block. I've also traded for guys as well. But every week in pre-season there is a list of things to do and trade block is one of them. There are 2-4 players available every week and they will get moved. You pretty much have one shot at acquiring them. Put your best offer to the cpu and they will pick the best offer and pull the trigger. I think it took more than a 4th rounder for Delanie Walker since I offered that and I lost.

Wow! That's a lot of changes for the Raiders roster. I guess the off season is pretty busy for Madden 13 teams. Thanks for the pics Rudy! It is very much appreciated. That's not good news about the RG situation. Long term that could be a real killer if there are major shortages on the line. CPU depth charts have always been an issue with the Tiburon team. Hopefully that will get more attention in the upcoming releases.

I do really like the new free agent bidding process compared to last year. You know how many teams are bidding and the top suitors but you don't know what they are offering, only the player demands. You have to throw bids up there and see if you get your player. Sometimes you find out right away but some players stretch it out for weeks. I ended up paying a lot for Ebben Britton at LG ($5M a year, not real proud of that) and DeAndre Levy at LOLB.

I don't know what the heck is going on. At least 3 players I scouted aren't listed in the scouting department for the draft anymore. One guy was in a feature story. I hope they come back.

Lots of coaching changes. Whisenhunt to Tennessee, Rex Ryan to Seattle, Marvin Lewis to Baltimore, Norv Turner to Philly, new coach to Minny, new coach to Redskins, new coach to Jets. Clay Matthews got franchise tagged, Randy Moss retired, Osi U got tagged lol, Vontae Davis franchised by Colts, B.Albert by Chiefs.

Holy crap. Some good players available in free agency. At QB there is Romo, Matt Ryan and Josh Freeman. McFadden is available at RB! So is Beanie Wells. A.Boldin, Maclin at WR along with Heyward-Bey. What are the Raiders doing? Pettigrew top TE. E. Monroe a 27 year old, 90 rated LT available. Shocked to see some good young talent availabe but this is a good thing! Two good 28 year old centers on the market. Some good DL too. Most of the good LBs are old but a couple really good MLB like Sean Lee are there. Nothing special at safety.

I only have $5.7 million in cap room and I haven't drafted yet. I don't think I can get involved in any bidding wars and it appears the cpu teams are struggling as well. I've got the 5th pick in the draft! I don't like the kids at the top and will try to trade down about 5 spots and acquire a 2nd rounder if i can.

I'd love to go after Matt Ryan (86 overall) and he only wants $11 million per year but I know that will go up. Not many guys I can cut to make a move for anyone.
    Last edited by Rudy; 12-02-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Whew. The scouted players came back.

Tom Brady retired! Bears signed Tony Romo, 2 years $16 million.

Week 2 of FA: Falcons sign Vince Young lol. DL Williams signed by Denver 5 years, $27 mil. Not sure if that was a re-sign or not.

Week 3: Maclin to Broncos for 5 years, $35 million. Andy Reid is in Arizona. Bears way overpaid for Anquan Boldin at 5 years $52 million. Skip Bayless trashes the signing lol. McFadden stays in Oakland.

I'm scouting some of these draft story kids. Maybe their grades will change still but the scouts appear to be wrong at times. One of the stories was a 6th round TE and he's now rated 2nd round. One kid at QB they are raving about is only a C and ranked #2 overall. Big mistake if you take him.

I've yet to see an A overall grade. C is around 70 I think. I'm taking the philosophy of finding as many B guys as i can and move around the draft to get them. That's where the value is and I see some B guys with 2nd and even 3rd round grades. Will do my best.

The draft is up next.

Free agency re-cap: Matt Ryan (wants $11M yr) and Josh Freeman (almost $9 mil at 83 overall) went unsigned! Holy crap! One top guard 81 overall (wanted $4-$5 mil) went unsigned. One DE L.Sidbury was 82, speed rusher, age 28 and only wanted under $1.5 million a year. That's a steal. If I have room I will pick him up after the draft. Just sitting there. Nick Barnett rated 89 at ROLB but at 33 and wanting up to $6.6 mill a year has priced himself out of a team. Old expensive CBs sitting there too: C.Webster, C. Tillman, A.Winfield. All want over $5 mill right now.

Gosh dang it. All of the draft grades changed again before the draft. I had two B overall options at TE that went down to C. If I would have known both would have crapped the bed I would have gone after a FA TE a little harder. I signed NOBODY in free agency due to only have $5.7 million in cap space and quality depth.

I did a lot more overall scouting and not so much attribute scouting this year. There are 3 kids with D grades (rounds 2, 3 and 4). 24 kids I scouted have C grades. Ugh. That includes the projected 2nd overall pick at QB and 7th overall at RB. In fact, 7 of those C grades are first round material. That will probably be a 70 rating but that's not good enough for 1st round. I have more overall grades since I didn't spend many points on individual ratings (I believe this to be a good theory) and I bought the extra scouting points package. I may also get more points as a team builder coach (3000 per week during the season, save 1000 every week so you can scout three overalls every two weeks).

Good news is I have 3 B grades. A WR projected 17 overall, a MLB projected 32nd, and a SS projected 30th in the 3rd round - that is a steal I have to grab. I don't want to risk losing these guys so I will try to trade down from #5 to #10 to grab that WR. I will try to move up into the low 20s to grab that MLB from my #32 spot. And I want to grab that SS in the 2nd round. After that I will be drafting fairly blind but will try to grab the C scouted kids.
    Last edited by Rudy; 12-02-2012 at 07:12 AM.