Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gschwendt's Guide to the 3-3-5 Defense in NCAA Football 13

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Are the F'd up allignment issues in the 4-2-5 also present in the 3-3-5?
    Yep... though as mentioned here, you can combat them if you have the patience. It's not too bad once you learn what to look for.

FWIW, I've been running the 4-2-5 for the last three or four games, and while I've seen my share of ... interesting ... alignments, I haven't actually felt like the guys were horribly out of position on too many occasions. If you have personnel you can trust at SS, then you can adapt without having to jump through a lot of hoops.

If nothing else, it's tons better than in previous years when your guys would be horribly out of position at the snap.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

What plays should i set as my audibles and is texas a good team to run this with?

Quote Originally Posted by the best View Post
    What plays should i set as my audibles and is texas a good team to run this with?
    No need to PM & post... next time just post and I'll see it.

Here's how I answered via PM.

I've found that the 3-3-5 Across Cover 1 is a good audible because it's alignment is least problematic so thats probably a good audible to have. Aside from that, for L1 & R1, set those to a Cover 0 man blitz and a Cover 3 zone blitz, just find your favorites. For the other two, I would probably find a good Cover 3 zone (Stack Cover 3 is good) and a good Cover 2 (zone or man) that you like.

As far as Texas, I'm really not sure. I haven't looked at their roster but I would just look to see if they have 2 good players to fill the SS positions, whether they're safety or CB. If they have that, then the rest will just depend on what type of play calls you want to make.

alabama fits this mold well?

Hey G very nice job!!!... I have always found the 335 very interesting, but found it difficult to comprehend... Even though my Tarheels under Fedora are switching to the 425, I still will probably use the 335 also, as it has so many options... Thanks man

Great Write up!

Long time user of the 3-3-5 Stack and I was just curious to see what was working for everyone else. Seeing how people who use this defense are seemingly hated by everyone who doesn't use it, we need to share what works and what isn't working in this years installment.
    Just a little background about my style. I blitz 5 almost every play when in a normal down and distance. If they have some distance for the first down I love bringing even more heat sometimes leaving only 4 in man coverage.

Base:
    Against players who like to run the ball out of the I-Form, I love using the monster green. It is a Zero blitz which brings a SS off the edge as well as the MLB and an OLB. I have it as an audible and anytime I see a 2 back formation I check to this. In last years game I would always bring the SS off the edge to the strength of the formation. But in this years game with the DB's switching sides based off the alignment. I just keep it so my DB's aren't running all over the field. The SS blitzing off the backside edge is a killer against counters, playaction passes, normal drop back passes, and works great against a patient player who likes to cut back. Another twist to this play is hot routing the blitzing OLB to an blitz so that he responsible for contain when blitzing off the edge instead of blitzing the "B gap."

Another thing I find myself doing a lot is shifting my LB's and DL. Sometimes I do it right when I get to the line, other times I wait until the offense begins trying to read my defense. This can give the illusion of running a totally different formation but in fact you are running the same exact play you ran on 1st down.

3-3-5 Across:
    When I find a player who has a hard time reading zone coverage I love switching up to the "3-3-5 Across." It has a different variety of coverage combos than the "3-3-5 Base." I like to show press coverage right out of the huddle allowing the player to think I am running the same formation which has the same players covering the same zones as they do in the "Base" but if I can time it right and audible and reset my play (Square and then L2 for PS3.) The players drop back. Even if I don't time it right one of the DB's is coming forward and the other is dropping back. This gives a lot of people a hard time especially if you can bring some pressure/or been constantly bring heat and the player thinks you are blitzing and they think they have to get rid of the ball in a hurry.

Last think I will say. Use the formation subs, it is what makes this defense so tough to move the ball against. Whether it is the 3-4 in the okie or my favorite the LB Pass Rush and then dropping those DE's who are now LB's into zone coverage.

Like I said I am just curious to see what the 3-3-5 is up to this year.

how do you stop the read option with this defense

i should have read this guide before playing jb in our game last night. would have helped a lot

Quote Originally Posted by the best View Post
    how do you stop the read option with this defense
    There's no one tried & true way. Blitzing to the side that the read is on (ie where the HB is) is helpful and then manually control the MLB to manually read the QB yourself.

G, do you still run this defense at all? I have been playing with it in 14 and the more I get used to it (i.e. implement your favorite plays), the more it seems to work.

Good stuff