Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Conference Musical Chairs

• Facebook
  • Display
    Also, I've read a few posts on Husker sites of others hearing what JB did, that Nebraska will be on the BTN this year - but no one had any concrete details. The guess seemed to be that they may start pulling and airing some of NUs archived games and footage and perhaps start making their own NU focused shows/documentaries, etc.

I watched part of Michigan's "Hail to the Victors" historical look at the football program the other night. Pretty interesting and well done.

BTN said officially that Nebraska will be on the network this year. Just no one has said in what capacity. But it was announced, I believe on-air.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    The NU-NU (Northwestern) series should be fun: Historically, the two worst power conference basketball programs in the country.

I think the Big Ten is more balanced than the Big XII, so I'm not very confident in our ability to move up the ranks. Though, I do agree their style is more similar to ours. We'll either be more competitive or lose some games by barely getting 40 points.
    In the Big Ten, barely getting to 40 may be enough to be competitive

Quote Originally Posted by joshuahuskers View Post
    In the Big Ten, barely getting to 40 may be enough to be competitive
    We're not slow and plodding in basketball. That's just football

Nebraska's average last year would have put them 8th in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

They would've averaged another Touchdown in the big 10.

Tommy Tuberville made some pretty critical statements of the Big 12 yesterday. He questioned how long the 10 team league can stay together when the money is divided so unevenly. He said as soon as a poor team gets a chance to land in a better conference they will go for it.

Gotta love LSUFreek

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the..._of_the_big_12

Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville is concerned about the inequality that exists in the Big 12 and says the league will not last long.

Eventually, I think that the Big 12 will become a new version of the old SWC. Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, and Iowa State may be happy to just be members of a BCS Conference at this juncture, but are likely investigating any and all options that would afford them an equal piece of some other pie.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

Well we were last in the Big 12, so that'd still be improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    They would've averaged another Touchdown in the big 10.
    Was talking basketball, not football.

And if you were talking football ... no, I don't think so.

How conference realignment should have been done:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ce_realignment

Nebraska fans will probably enjoy this interview between BTN's Dave Revsine and some guy named Tom Osborne.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/videos/...d=407526715001

BYU to go independent in football in 2011 and will join the WAC for all other sports. Press conference on Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    BYU to go independent in football in 2011 and will join the WAC for all other sports. Press conference on Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642
    What? Why? So they can compete on a national level no doubt. How retarded is that?! Just go WAC all around and be men about it! They couldn't stand that Utah is now BCS eligible and they wouldn't be. That's pretty big for recruiting though, gotta say.

Well, from what I read, it doesn't sound like a done deal yet. It appears the deal would be hinging on whether or not BYU can get guarantees from the BCS of similar requirements that Notre Dame has to have access to the BCS depending on how they do. If BYU gets that guarantee, then it sounds like they would pretty much make the move. If they don't get the guarantee, it sounds like they are going to stay put.

As for the Mountain West, this is horrible if it happens. Just a couple months ago, the Mountain West was seemingly within a couple days of having a chance to pick up some Big 12 rejects, get to 12 teams, get a championship game, and have the potential chance to get an automatic BCS invite. Now, the Mountain West will be potentially left with only TCU as their only big name team, which since 2005, it has been BYU, Utah, and TCU pretty much solely on the top of the conference (with a couple of conference busters here and there), the Mountain West is in danger of slowly becoming irrelevant.

Sure, they still have TCU, but Mountain West would pretty much become a one trick dog conference (with the exception of a couple of conference busters here and there), and if TCU were to ever leave, ha, the Mountain West become about as irrelevant that day as the WAC is now.

That sounds stupid for BYU. How does that make them any better for football? They can't get any guarantees like Notre Dame. I feel bad for Boise St.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    That sounds stupid for BYU. How does that make them any better for football? They can't get any guarantees like Notre Dame. I feel bad for Boise St.
    I just remembered that a little bit ago while in the shower. I completely forgot about Boise St. joining the MWC in the future. So maybe the Mountain West isn't going to be as in danger of being irrelevant so soon now that I remembered Boise St. joining in a couple years. But the Mountain West would still see a large drop off in conference relevancy if BYU does leave. Obviously not as much as with Utah leaving or if TCU were to leave, but BYU has been a dangerous team nationally and has been one of the top 3 teams in the Mountain West since 2005 or so. So it would still be a major blow to the MWC to have BYU leave.

From Bruce Feldman, ESPN: MWC source sez the folks at CSU football, who "broke" news of BYU announcement, claim their Twitter feed got hacked.

2007: WAC ‘Strongly Considered’ BYU Without Football

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/2007-w...ut-fball-28850

MWC announces its inviting Fresno State and Nevada:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774
    Last edited by HWill; 08-18-2010 at 05:25 PM.