Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Mags hitting the shelves!

• Facebook
  • Display

Preseason Mags hitting the shelves!

Last night I picked up Athlon's Southeastern edition at a grocery store in the greater Houston area.This always helps get me pumped for the release of NCAA Football and begins the countdown, for me, to the real football season.

Quote Originally Posted by Geauxlden View Post
    Last night I picked up Athlon's Southeastern edition at a grocery store in the greater Houston area.This always helps get me pumped for the release of NCAA Football and begins the countdown, for me, to the real football season.

Yeah im gonna start hitting up the Barnes and Nobles where I usually pick up athlons and phil steele...

Phil Steele is all you need. So much information.

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyReign View Post
    Phil Steele is all you need. So much information.
    So much information about the PREVIOUS year. If you want information about the upcoming season I would suggest people to get The Sporting News instead. I've never been more disappointed with a magazine than I was with Phil Steele. They were still talking about Matt Leinart in the issue and he'd been in the NFL for three years. Steele just recycles last year's commentary and adds about 25% of stuff that is new and calls it a day. Tons of stats and good projections but very little info on the players that will impact the upcoming year. It's more of a Review than Preview mag imo.

Always been a sucker for Lindy's college football annual.

I've seen the Lindy's Southeastern on the shelves as well. I used to always buy it when I was younger, but lately I pass if Athlon or Sporting News hit the stands around the same time. I've bought Phil Steele's mag for the last few years, but I have to agree with Rudy, there is way too much info about what happened 2 or 3 years ago. Last year I won a Blue Ribbon preview mag in a contest, and it is full of good info, but is probably too expensive for my blood. Also it doesn't have depth charts or pictures which matter to me for roster purposes.

Gonna have to pick one of these up!

Saw the Athlon National and Sporting News preview at a Houston area Walmart.

I don't have a lot of magazine options around me. I just checked the local Chapters store and they didn't have any college magazines yet. But we are slow to get them in Canada as they aren't a priority over here. I might have to hit the mall and a real magazine store.

Decided to pass on Sporting News and go with Lindy's today as the local magazine place finally got some more in. I really liked the individual position rankings. Each team only gets one page but I like how they break down offense vs. defense and special teams. It does a nice job.

Took a brief look at Phil Steele's Review just to see if he was still re-using all his old material and it was a quick yes. Flipped open the book and it came to Arkansas. Half of the stuff on the QB section was Ryan Mallett. Why waste so much ink on a Preview if the player will never affect the 2011 season? Flipped another page and came to Georgia. That QB section starts talking about Matt Stafford. I thought this was 2011, not 2008. For anyone looking for a Preview I would avoid the seasons long recap of Phil Steele. Just not enough info about the upcoming season in that mag.

Well, I've actually ended up buying the Athlon Southeastern and National editions, plus Phil Steele, plus the Sporting News preview. I'm sure that I have some sort of college football addiction, lol, but they all have some aspect that I feel is unique. I love the in-depth info that the regional Athlon gives you about the specific conference you're interested in. I like that the national Athlon and Phil Steele give you depth charts and pictures for each team. If Sporting News did that, plus gave equal info about all of the D1 teams, I may would pass on the national Athlon and Steele. I do like that the Sporting News gives a short narrative breakdown, along with trends, for each conference and gives a mention of the key recruits for the majority of the teams.

just like when someone will get NCAA 12 before most of us

I hate all of you...

Bumping this for 2012. Just picked up Lindy's Southeastern edition. Walmart in Atascocita for any of my Houston area folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geauxlden View Post
    Bumping this for 2012. Just picked up Lindy's Southeastern edition. Walmart in Atascocita for any of my Houston area folks.
    Awesome! I was wondering when the first editions would be out.

Phil Steele will be on newsstands around June 5, but you can order a limited number of signed copies for $39.95

Screw Phil Steele. I don't like his review mag. I'll be all over the Sporting News when that comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Phil Steele will be on newsstands around June 5, but you can order a limited number of signed copies for $39.95
    Phil said on Sirius XM on Friday that you might see his magazine in some stores as early as this coming Tuesday. He expects that the vast, vast majority of stores will have it by Memorial Day, but June 5 is the official date that they know it will be available nationally.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Found Phil Steele mags in Walmart today.

If not Phil Steele, what magazine do you guys recommend. I prefer one that has depth charts. Any suggestions?

Phil Steele.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

I know right. I get PS every year but I've been hearing in numerous places that his quality has gone downhill. I'm curious what is out there that is comparable.