Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 12 Video Highlights New Dives and Bull Rush Animations

• Facebook
  • Display
    I'll let the other guys give their thoughts as well, but I rarely saw this animation.

Also looking at these videos man the crowd really does pop this year, thats nice... Also looks like these videos were taken from newer build cause it seems that Alabama now has grey facemasks instead of that faded looking white, nice....

Quote Originally Posted by MtneerManiac View Post
    And what makes it even worse is you have a dev sitting there in that video acting like it's awesome.
    Think about this for a second. I agree with you that it looks bad. But they were highlighting the new bull rush moves. Of course they're going to show it off. That's the point. There's no reason, in a video highlighting bull rush, to show a DT getting blocked. None. That'd be like doing an "action trailer" for Lord of the Rings and showing nothing but Gandalf looking at a butterfly.
    yet I garuntee you it'll happen multiple times a game.
    Didn't see it once.
    That BS animation is shameful.
    As is the automatic assumption that they don't know what they're talking about or what they're doing because you disagree with a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    That's a tough thing to balance. Sliders can only affect things globally.
    Sliders, yes. But I'm not going to be asking them to adjust the sliders, if I think the pass rush isn't right. They have much, much more precise control over things than we do with Sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokes404 View Post
    What's worrisome is that there weren't any clips of the defensive lineman bull rushing a blocker and driving him into the backfield.
    This I agree with. I'd much rather see a "sled"-like animation with a pocket collapsing.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by Pokes404 View Post
    What's worrisome is that there weren't any clips of the defensive lineman bull rushing a blocker and driving him into the backfield. All they showed was the blocker getting totally flattened. That just doesn't happen very often, even with elite linemen. I love the idea of the bull rush, but the blocker should be able to keep his feet most of the time. Yes, he's going to be driven into the backfield (which will likely result in blowing up the play), but at least he's still engaged and giving the QB/RB a chance to make a play. That is a much more frequent, and realistic, scenario. This looks like EA, once again, going way overboard with something. And for those of us that complain about "scripted" outcomes and a lack of organic gameplay, this is exactly what we're talking about.

I will withhold final judgement until we see actual gameplay videos. Until then, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. However, EA is walking dangerous ground here. This not only needs to be tuned correctly, but there needs to be far more animations of the blocker being driven back than animations of the blocker being laid out. Those clips in the video look like something that belongs in NFL Blitz, not a game that touts itself as a football "simulation."

I have no doubt that the devs know football, but for whatever reason, a lot of the physics and fundamentals of the game are not being expressed in this game.
    Like I said, if you don't like the animation, or worry about it's implementation, that's fine. I'm not worried about it because when I saw that video, it was the first time I'd ever seen the animation. I'll be on the lookout for it in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarhead10 View Post
    Also looking at these videos man the crowd really does pop this year, thats nice... Also looks like these videos were taken from newer build cause it seems that Alabama now has grey facemasks instead of that faded looking white, nice....
    Can't see it very well but the last route in this video does show a defender in the background, a safety if I'm seeing that right. He does NOT slide like the zone coverage video shows. He shuffles in what I see as a more realistic fashion. Also the defenders run in a more realistic fashion. Again, tough to see but it seems like weight and cutting is better in this video than the other from both offense and defense. It would make sense because the zone was one of the first things they implemented most likely, while the mo-cap stuff would've come later.

Also, there were only 3 bull-rush moves shown. From different angles. So I don't think it's one of those prevalent moves that just anyone can do. Also look at the two teams involved in each scene. I believe those 3 players are very highly rated defensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    This I agree with. I'd much rather see a "sled"-like animation with a pocket collapsing.
    Do you think there is still enough time to get an animation like this into the game? Please ask them if they have this type of animation already in but just chose not to highlight it in the video. The Bull Rush (the sled-like form) would be a huge step toward correctly formed pockets. Hopefully we get more of that and less of the reverse pancake look.

Well judging from this and other sites. The Bull Rush has scared quite a high % of folks. I'll obviously hold the ultimate conclusion for the demo but I think it is definitely something you guys going in May should pay close attention to as some people seem really upset about OL just getting creamed.

#1 How often does the "cream" animation occur

#2 Are there any other Bull Rush animations - i.e. DL pushes OL back collapsing the pocket but OL stays on his feet; DL pushes OL down but the DL also falls down in the process; DL tries Bull Rush but OL successfully blocks the move etc...

Wow who would have thought a short clip can cause such a stir. The Other Site is in a big frenzy right now, this is some of the best reading I have done in awhile, Glad to see it came be tamed down a bit and brought back into perspective, great job SteelerFan.

PS. Soulja that was the best timing ever for the use of the popcorn movie animation. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    My vote for best use of an emoticon.....EVER

I'm loving both of the new animations...bull rush especially...we've been long overdue for this animations...now when I have a 99 OVR DE with 95 PWR Rush Skill, he'll act accordingly!! Nice!!! Reading the comments earlier about bull rushes rarely happening! Ha I guess you guys missed the NFL Draft huh?!? It was filled with "bull rushing" professional!! I wonder though...how many diving variations/animations did they make? Seeing as though they mentioned a high dive and a low dive...I would hope that there are different variations to a high dive as well as a low dive...if not it could be a little repetitive ala scripted tackles. Nothing big though...wishing these videos could be a taaaadd bit longer!!
    Last edited by MCdonnieG; 05-05-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCdonnieG View Post
    It was filled with "bull rushing" professional!!
    the point everyone is making is not that bull rushing doesnt exist... just that a good bull rush a hard speed rush at the backfield shoulder... nobody bull rushes square to the chest... unless they are responsible for the edge and inside gap on a backside heavy blitz away from them... dont confuse what were saying, we agree with you just the representation could be better...

"E"

I like it the animation because i know that if done properly it would be great add to the game but the problem that i (and clearly others) see is that it will end up being overused by the CPU AI and under used (almost never happening) by Humans who control the DE/DT.

The reason people feel are scared is because there have been animations like this before that have killed the experience for some.

Sort of a "play now" question I suppose but what is the button press needed to trigger a Bull Rush attempt if you are using a DL?

Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
    the point everyone is making is not that bull rushing doesnt exist... just that a good bull rush a hard speed rush at the backfield shoulder... nobody bull rushes square to the chest... unless they are responsible for the edge and inside gap on a backside heavy blitz away from them... dont confuse what were saying, we agree with you just the representation could be better...

"E"
    As of right now...the representation of the "bull rush" is fine in my eyes. I mean we didn't even have this animation last year. So I'm not gonna complain too much about whether or not the DE jammed the OLmen's right/left shoulder to initiate the bull rush. Plus...I've seen OLmen get bull rushed from DE's initially punching square to the chest and driving straight through them...the ending result is a "reverse pancake"! It happens...might not be often but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by brza37 View Post
    Do you think there is still enough time to get an animation like this into the game? Please ask them if they have this type of animation already in but just chose not to highlight it in the video. The Bull Rush (the sled-like form) would be a huge step toward correctly formed pockets. Hopefully we get more of that and less of the reverse pancake look.
    Unfortunately no, we're past the data freeze for NCAA 12.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    My vote for best use of an emoticon.....EVER

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    As of right now...the representation of the "bull rush" is fine in my eyes. I mean we didn't even have this animation last year. So I'm not gonna complain too much about whether or not the DE jammed the OLmen's right/left shoulder to initiate the bull rush. Plus...I've seen OLmen get bull rushed from DE's initially punching square to the chest and driving straight through them...the ending result is a "reverse pancake"! It happens...might not be often but it happens.
    And, 99 out of a 100, the offensive lineman drags the defender down with him and gets called for holding. If this animation happens (like in the video of the offensive lineman trying to pull the defender down as well but failing) and it's not called holding, I would be very pissed off.

I will just agree to disagree since it looks the direct opposite of fine to me. I wish these arcade animations were just left completely out, but I understand why they put them in and who those over the top animations are geared mostly for in NCAA and so goes the folly of trying to make a game that is appealing to both arcade and sim players. I want a 100% real simulation and that's never going to happen, but I still want to get my virtual college football fix so I take the good with the bad just wish that they took out more and more of the bad every year rather than add to it like the push down bull rush (which I have never seen happen in real life the way it is depicted in the game).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    And, 99 out of a 100, the offensive lineman drags the defender down with him and gets called for holding. If this animation happens (like in the video of the offensive lineman trying to pull the defender down as well but failing) and it's not called holding, I would be very pissed off.
    I seriously doubt that holding will be called in those situations while playing NCAA 12. Both the Madden and NCAA games have had the same holding animation for years.

ill drop this topic after this, but if you see a bull rush, and the DE is working the middle of the chest and pushing, then you have a good OT, who has got the depth and leverage needed to hold off the outside, if he has him locked in his chest, then he can give ground because at that point, technically, the DE is owned... if the OT does slip he will pull down the DE in a holding call putting on his best performance to try and not draw a flag...

if you dont understand the footwork then that animation looks great, if you do understand it, then that leaves a lot to be desired... BUT, again, if thats the first time the event guys have seen it, i could care LESS about it... especially if they read the reactions of everyone, it will be dialed down and we can know that its IN THE GAME but like real life it will be a rare occasion and even something that would be featured in some highlights for OD's and such...

"E"

That's a fair assessment, guru. As I've said, if you don't like the animation, that is fine. I will definitely be looking for it in 2 weeks. If it is prevalent, I will speak loudly against it.