Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 (Defense)

• Facebook
  • Display
    There I fixed it...not sure what was wrong with it.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Did they fix the man coverage bug in the 4-2-5? If not, that's a steaming pile of shit play....

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Did they fix the man coverage bug in the 4-2-5? If not, that's a steaming pile of shit play....
    Actually that particular play would work just fine... just flip it depending on where the slot is. I agree though, if they didn't fix the 335/425 SS man align issues, then I'll be frustrated since the 335 is my defense.

Yeah, but that doesn't help against Twin or Trips sets at all. I'd hate to once again not be able to use the 4-2-5 against I-Form Twins, Ace Big Twins, etc because of that stupid bug.

What bug is that? I'm not familiar with the 4-2-5 & its issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    Man Coverage alignment is totally screwed. The CBs don't go over to the other side of the formation like they're supposed to when playing man and so on. Go into practice mode and choose any 4-2-5 Man Coverage play against I-Form Twins and you'll see what we mean. It's terrible and pretty much begs for them to run the ball that direction.

This:
    Both 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 (base formations) have issues with man coverage lineup. In both formations, the #2 SS (left, as facing the defense) will be assigned the slot receiver, even if the slot is on the right side of the offensive formation. This causes the #2 SS to lineup in the middle of the field, between the LBs. This is how it appears pre-snap, but post-snap the players often cover the closest receiver, regardless of pre-snap assignment (but not always).
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Oh yeah, there's that too. Totally forgot about that issue (mainly because I never use those formations because of the stupid bug).

Man coverage is screwed altogether. LBs in man coverage should take the back coming out to his side, He shouldnt have to run all the way across the field to the flats

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Oh yeah, there's that too. Totally forgot about that issue (mainly because I never use those formations because of the stupid bug).
    What you're saying about I-Form Twins is ... debatable, at best. The problem is that different teams use different strategies when it comes to dealing with Twins. I see a lot of people comment on forums that the CB should go to the other side of the field ... but when I watch real games, I don't see that happen very often. More often, the CB stays on the open side and covers the first receiver to his side, at least from my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    What you're saying about I-Form Twins is ... debatable, at best. The problem is that different teams use different strategies when it comes to dealing with Twins. I see a lot of people comment on forums that the CB should go to the other side of the field ... but when I watch real games, I don't see that happen very often. More often, the CB stays on the open side and covers the first receiver to his side, at least from my eyes.
    I see this quite a bit as well. LB with a S over the top and the cb stays open side of the field. If a cb DOES go over, normally the SS comes up to play in the corner slot on the open side, instead of over the top, and the FS is a cover 1 over the top. I see that a lot too.

I think that having CBs cover both Twins receivers is more commonly a NFL setup. Not sure though. At whatever level, putting both cornerbacks on the same side of the field is such a blatant giveaway of man coverage that I can't imagine many coaches do it, unless they're primarily a man defense.

The funny part is when you Google search something like that, over 50% of the results are NCAA/Madden. Very few actual coaching discussions on that topic, surprisingly.

Good points. How cool would it be if you could pick and choose whether you wanted your CB to come over or stay in his normal spot to mix up the coverages.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Good points. How cool would it be if you could pick and choose whether you wanted your CB to come over or stay in his normal spot to mix up the coverages.
    Ideally, I think that's what stuff like "Man Align" is supposed to do, but it doesn't function to that extent.

Ideally, I think that's what stuff like "Man Align" is supposed to do, but it doesn't function to that extent.
    Does Man Align currently do anything? I haven't noticed if it does.

It does. For example, on 3-4 Normal Strong Blitz, where both LBs on the right side of the screen are blitzing, if there's an extra receiver on the right side (for example, Twin TE), then the left ILB will shift over and go basically heads-up.

You also see instances where, in zone, a linebacker will split the middle between the offensive line and the receiver. In both cases, if you switch off Man Align (it appears it's automatically on for every play, so you switch it off via the coverage audible), the linebackers will return to their default position.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if it has any influence on, for example, nickelbacks switching to the other side of the field to cover a Twins receiver.

I think it mainly applies to safeties currently. If you have a strong safety assigned to either a slot or a tight end, you can man align him and he'll actually line up over the top of him. As well, in the 425/335, I use it all of the time because if the FS is man coverage, he'll give it away by creeping up to the line if I don't turn off his man align. By default, it's always on and you have to turn it off each play, though you can do so quickly enough before everyone is set.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I use it all of the time because if the FS is man coverage, he'll give it away by creeping up to the line if I don't turn off his man align.
    I've had safeties in zone creep up to the line enough times that I don't have a clue why it happens, lol.

Yeah that was my thought process of tying it into Man Align

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I think it mainly applies to safeties currently. If you have a strong safety assigned to either a slot or a tight end, you can man align him and he'll actually line up over the top of him. As well, in the 425/335, I use it all of the time because if the FS is man coverage, he'll give it away by creeping up to the line if I don't turn off his man align. By default, it's always on and you have to turn it off each play, though you can do so quickly enough before everyone is set.
    Call more press plays, My theory is that the press plays that the defense watches for the run more than they would in any other play call, IE 2 Man vs 2 Man Press or Cover 3 vs Cover 3 Press. My experience is that they react better to the run.