Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 (Offense)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    How does any of that prevent the DT from blowing right up the middle in the wide open lane that's created by the pulling guard and getting to the hand off point sometimes before the QB even hands it off?

The only reason why it MIGHT work is if you're playing against someone that actually adjusts their defensive line out of the default setup. Against the computer, that play will NEVER work like it's supposed to.
    Seriously... just give it a try. I have success against both the CPU & HUM opponents. I haven't dissected it enough to say what happens after the ball snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Seriously... just give it a try. I have success against both the CPU & HUM opponents. I haven't dissected it enough to say what happens after the ball snaps.
    I'll try to put together a video of a few different variations of it to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (since I think you said you sold the game).

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Over the next five weeks, new offensive plays will be posted on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. New defensive plays will be posted on Tuesday and Thursday.
    Well, I'm fairly confident that I'll be obsessively checking on Tuesday and Thursday, and just having low-level interest on MWF.
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    (since I think you said you sold the game).
    Saying that after quoting yourself: #winning
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Fingers crossed for custom playbooks. It may be a good chance considering that EA is stressing 25 new plays, one play per day. Perhaps they are showing off some of the plays we have to choose from????

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    How does any of that prevent the DT from blowing right up the middle in the wide open lane that's created by the pulling guard and getting to the hand off point sometimes before the QB even hands it off?

The only reason why it MIGHT work is if you're playing against someone that actually adjusts their defensive line out of the default setup. Against the computer, that play will NEVER work like it's supposed to.
    what pulling guard??? I don't see one.

In my TF league, I have (for the first time) the #1 rushing attack in the country in year 5 week 8 with Texas A&M. I use a variety of shotgun reads, counters, wildcat plays, sweeps, dives, off guard, etc. I use it all, out of the pitt pb, and I am not one to go back to a play a million times "until they stop it"....which would constitute "cheese" in my mind because of the way the game is set up. This new play looks alot like a power left, or the popular fly sweep, just out of the pistol instead of wing t. I would be shocked if this play DOESN'T work the way it's meant to. There is no pulling concept, just a lead sweep.

Very excited to see these new plays implemented, especially the defensive ones. I am hoping for improved blocking concepts as well. But I honestly don't want to say "better" blocking. I think the blocking is very well done in this years game. It can always be better conceptually, but the defense needs to be able to stop you too.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Well, I'm fairly confident that I'll be obsessively checking on Tuesday and Thursday
    Wow, it took till this evening for anyone to reference the fact that EA is definitely adding new defensive plays.

And Kwizzy, I agree with you on the blocking on those various screens. It seems like you and I have discussed that before.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    There is a pulling guard in the HB Counter play out of Shotgun (my analogous to the play shown) not the Power Sweep play that they are showing us. And I do agree, it very much does look like a Flexbone play (like Power Sweep), but, the issue is, those plays have the HB very close to the QB when the ball is hiked, not 2 yards to the right of him.

I do still have the game (though I'm sending it out to Amazon for trade in monies tomorrow because I'm just done playing football until MAYBE 12) and I tried it and while, yes, in theory, it will work and does occasionally work, you have to be playing someone that doesn't have a good defense or using sliders that are nice to Shotgun running (aka why run out of shotgun when you can pound it down their throats normally all over the place?) for it to work well.

There's a reason counter plays don't work, and it's simple: the defense doesn't flow to the play, at all (unless they are utterly TERRIBLE, then they might flow to the play). The defense doesn't READ the play. They do four different things: blitz, follow their man, watch the QB, or play their zone. That's why PA doesn't work in the game (unless it's against a human to get them to overcommit with the one player they are controlling) and that's why counters don't work like they're supposed to. When LBs don't hesitate at all when you do a PA play, what's the point of doing the PA to begin with? When LBs don't take two steps in the faked direction of the counter, what's the point of running the counter?

Counters are only run right now because outside running in the game is ridiculously difficult to stop without committing to it so much that the inside run is wide open as well as passing lanes being ginormously wide open because you have to actually blitz players to get them to play their assignments correctly (again, because they don't read run/pass at all).
    Last edited by morsdraconis; 03-14-2011 at 09:09 PM.

I had great success running out of Pistol last year...I would be pumped to see this in 2012!

I don't want to argue your point Mors, mostly because I felt the same way 3 months ago, but now with more time I honestly don't see what you're talking about evident in this game. I've finally found that the key to this game is "setting up" your plays, with other plays. Not the game's view of "setting up", but actually running 4 and 5 and 6 times to set up a play action, or throwing 3 or 4 times to set up a draw. Also running inside for a while before busting a counter play WILL get the defense flowing to a side. I see it time and time again. Patience is the key though. I'll have a half of getting stuffed over and over again, and then in the second half come out and bust one right up the middle, then a counter, and then a sweep. And then the defense comes up, and I don't even need PA to get a nice play in the passing game.

Like I said though, I've seen what you're talking about, but if you're patient those issues are eliminated. I do have an issue with the blocking though..... Screens (at least a one count needs to be held by the line), and PA (there is almost always a free rusher right up the middle due to a whiffed block on PA, and it drives me NUTS!).

Want to see DEFENSE! There will be 10 NEW defensive plays they say. I would also like to hear that coverage is worked on and general defensive awareness and READ abilities and tendencies have been addressed (that one I do agree on MORS!!!!

Counter plays definitely work....I've had a ton of success out of the Pistol with it.

Couple of things. Counters definitely work. I can not say that I have a lot of success out of the shotgun running counter plays but the other counters out of the formations with the quarterback under center work really well, sometimes borderline too well.

Jayrah you are completely right and thank you for stating it better than ever could. For me anyway it's all about patience and setting things up. I too have had whole halves where I am getting stuffed over and over again with my longest run being around 5 yards. You just have to stick with it and keep pounding away at it and all of the sudden you will bust a run and you can see the tide start to turn.

PA passes are completely different. I agree with you that there seems to be a free guy most of the time because of a whiffed block, but then again if I am playing a defense and see that they are not blitzing the house on me to stop the run and dropping back into coverage instead they can be really effective. I wish I could post some of the plays I have had where I ran play action and been able to cut the defense apart with it. (Anyone who can help me with that would be very helpful) All I can say about offense and the things we are talking about in 11 is set up your plays and good things will come your way.

Onto the new defensive play that was released. I like the idea of it, and it seems that you are going to be able to cover a lot of the field with it. But we all know that there are holes in any zone that if you can be patient and read it that you can exploit. Which is fine because that happens in the college game every Saturday. The thing I find most frustrating and I know it's partly due to my players ratings is that at times they will completely blow off their responsibilities and do something totally different leaving guys wide open. And it would not be so bad if it ever happened to the cpu, but it does not seem whoever I play that they ever have a breakdown.

I am really hoping for an overhaul of defense in next years game so I can avoid, 45-42 shootouts most of the time, and that maybe I can have a chance to have a defense ranked in the top 25 once again.

PA is broken on 11, simple as that. I quit using it.

Cover 6 is a very nice addition to the defensive playbook for sure!

Shotgun Spread Flex Wk Y-Stick - Another spin on a staple play of the Air Raid offense that’s used by Houston, as well as others. Shotgun Spread Flex Wk Y Stick calls for the halfback to motion out of the backfield to the right. This motion puts him in a spot that allows the Y-Stick concept to develop.
    Last edited by cdj; 03-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.

LOVE this play. Has everything, an out, a slant, a curl, a streak, and a flat.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    But do they have a complimentary play for it? That's the trouble with automotion like that, it's a HUGE tipoff to what the play is; especially because they don't make the player take the same route that they would take when you just put them in motion to that side.

That's what everything was screaming about the Flexbone formation after '10. The automotion was an immediate tipoff to what direction the play was going (and, unfortunately, still is in most formations because the opposite direction plays are blocked so damn poorly).

Then, of course, there's the fact that that play could be completely created with hotroutes so what's the point of taking up a playbook slot with a play that's easily created with hotroutes (and the HB flat doesn't require the automotion in the hotroute setup of the play)?

I agree on the auto motion issues Mors. I do think they need to do a better job of incorporating these auto motions into other plays where they aren't necessary but wouldn't affect what the goal of that play will be. That way it isn't such a dead give away when that play is run. Like the concept of the play though.

That stick play is going to be $ especially when on a hash. Example, if you are on the left hash simply hot route :x: to a hook. If it's man the RB most likely is going to outrun the LB out in the flat for a huge gain. If not you still have the slant/streak routes as backups. If itz zone the hooks will likely be open or the slant if timed properly.

so that formation will now have a H stick and a Y stick play. I wonder if they did that with other formations as well.

with the Y Stick play, I love it. Now, if I can get the same look with a screen, and a QB Draw, that's gonna be dangerous for my offense. I look forward to expanding the no-huddle spread from 11. I averaged about 200 + running and about 150 passing, so this play fits perfectly.

There is a y stick play in NCAA 11 in Middle Tennesee State playbook just no auto motion, which I hate anyways. I usually hot route the rb to block when I see him in auto motion.

What about?????????? Auto motion from one back shotgun to 2 back shotgun then you can base zone reads and dives off of it. I got a few good plays that we teach our kids at the high school level that I would love to see in the college game.

As a matter of fact I got 10 variations off of that one formation.
    Last edited by whitepony99; 03-16-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added more