Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 (Offense)

• Facebook
  • Display

25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 (Offense)

In addition to the first screenshot for NCAA Football 12, the EA SPORTS NCAA Football Facebook Page has released the first of 25 new plays that are coming to NCAA Football 12.

Over the next five weeks, new offensive plays will be posted on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. New defensive plays will be posted on Tuesday and Thursday.

OFFENSE:

Pistol Full House HB Off Tackle (Play Art) – The Pistol Full House, aka the Diamond formation, was first unveiled last season by Oklahoma State and was later adopted by other teams across the country. A staple play of the three back pistol set is the HB Off Tackle play.

Shotgun Spread Flex Wk Y-Stick (Play Art) - Another spin on a staple play of the Air Raid offense that’s used by Houston, as well as others. Shotgun Spread Flex Wk Y Stick calls for the halfback to motion out of the backfield to the right. This motion puts him in a spot that allows the Y-Stick concept to develop.

Weak I Normal Y Over Fly Sweep (Play Art) – Oregon State’s Weak I Normal Fly Sweep has the TE aligned on the line of scrimmage to the split end side of the formation. This creates an unbalanced set to the left with extra blockers for the fly sweep

Shotgun Twin TE Slot PA Slide (Play Art) – This is a play action boot pass that has two deep crossing receivers and one receiver, usually a TE, who slides under the line of scrimmage and in the flat. Oregon likes to use this play once they get near their opponent’s red zone. They’re usually successful at getting the ball to one of the crossing receivers for a big play.

Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash (Play Art) – Hawaii’s run and shoot offense can now be run from the Pistol formation. The traditional staples such as RNS Switch Smash can now be found in the new Pistol Spread formation. Hawaii and SMU’s playbook also features the run and shoot version of Pistol 4WR Trips.

Pistol Train Triple Option (Play Art) - Primarily used as a short yardage power set from the Pistol, the Train formation as it’s called by Nevada gives the offensive a variety of ways to attack the defense in short yardage situations. The Triple Option play is one such play that can be used to attack the defense.

Shotgun Wild Tiger Trey Fight Song (Play Art)– Auburn’s offense features a wide variety of unique and imaginative plays. One of the more interesting plays in their offense is Shotgun Wild Tiger Trey Fight Song. In this play the left tackle aligns on the ball on the right side of the formation in a receiver position. The left tackle is used as a decoy to throw off the defensive recognition of the play.

I-Form Twin TE Badger Power (Play Art) – A staple of the Wisconsin power running game, I-Form Twin TE Badger Power is a play that combines elements of both a counter and power play. The Badgers like to send the wing tight end in motion to the weak side and at the snap he becomes the second “puller” on the play. Factor in the fullback and Wisconsin can get three lead blockers at the point of attack.

Shotgun Trio HB Wk PA Husker Y Post (Play Art) – Nebraska’s offense is known for generating big plays in the running game. To compliment their explosive rushing attack the Huskers will often use play action passes. Shotgun Trio HB Wk PA Husker Y Post is a play Nebraska uses with great success for getting the ball deep down the field to their tight end for a touchdown.

Shotgun Normal Flex Ark HB Wheel (Play Art) – Shotgun Normal Flex Ark HB Wheel should be a familiar play to the fans of Arkansas. This is the same play the Hogs used to score a touchdown on the third play of the game against Alabama last season. The concept known as “Shark” in the Arkansas terminology uses a shallow cross/dig combination in the middle of the field and a post/wheel combination on the outside.

Shotgun Wing Trips Wk Tiger Buck Sweep (Play Art) – Clemson’s new no-huddle shotgun based offense will strive for balance with the run and pass. A staple run play of the Tigers’ new offense figures to be Shotgun Wing Trips WK Tiger Buck Sweep. The play is an off shoot of the Wing-T Buck Sweep in which both guards pull and lead block for the ball carrier.

I-Form Twins UK Fade Smash (Play Art) – I-Form Twins UK Fade Smash is a unique way that Kentucky likes to run the smash concept. In the traditional smash concept the slot receiver runs a corner route. The Wildcats like to use a fade route which gets the slot receiver near the same deep area of the field as if he were running a corner route.

Ace Big Twins Weak Flood (Play Art) – A three tiered flood concept, Ace Big Twins Weak Food can be used to attack a variety of defensive coverages. The post route is the first read in the progression and if open the ball should be thrown there. The deep out route by the slot receiver combined with the shallow cross route of the tight end creates a hi/lo vertical stretch on the defense.

Shotgun Trips Unbalanced Mizzou Jet (Play Art) - Shotgun Trips Unbalanced Mizzou Jet is a new addition to the Tigers high flying spread offense. The formation calls for the tight end to align on the line of scrimmage and places the split end on the left off the line of scrimmage. With three spread receivers combined with the halfback in the backfield, Missouri can get four blockers at the point of attack on the jet sweep.

NEW! Shotgun Quads Trio Slot Pivot (Play Art) – Shotgun Quads Trio Slot Pivot is a play that’s designed to put a horizontal stretch in the underneath coverage of zone defenses. The inside receiver closest to the formation runs a shallow cross while the next receiver to his right runs a pivot route. Those two routes going in opposite directions creates a natural void in zones for the dig route that’s ran by the next receiver over in the formation.
    Last edited by cdj; 04-15-2011 at 09:31 AM.

I actually like the design of this play a lot. I use the Nevada playbook in one of my dynasties and while it can be a very good rushing playbook it has very limited types of rushing plays. Not sure you really need a certain type of team to run this play, I mean having a good fullback and a decent backup tailback and it should work fine,

I am very interested in seeing what else they reveal as far as plays go. This is a good start though in my mind.

I like the formation. I hope custom formation is in so I could use this formation without having the settle on another team's book.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Meh. The blocking is so piss poor, that play will never work. You'd have to have a superhuman offensive line to be able to block that play long enough for the back to get clear across the formation.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Meh. The blocking is so piss poor, that play will never work. You'd have to have a superhuman offensive line to be able to block that play long enough for the back to get clear across the formation.
    That's a good point. I like that EA continues to add real life plays/formations. Of course, it doesn't matter if they plays will not work due to how the game plays.

I have been using modified AA sliders from the TGT 360 dynasty for my dynasty with Duke. And I have had nothing over a B- offense and have led the country in rushing once, been 5th twice and top 25 the other two years. I do not have superhuman offensive lines, halfbacks, fullbacks or any position and I can move the ball. Guess it could be different styles of play. What level are you guys playing on?

Yeah, if you go against a team with a semi competent D-line this will be blown up in the backfield every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
    Yeah, if you go against a team with a semi competent D-line this will be blown up in the backfield every time.
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean I have run flexbone before and ran the wb sweep, and the other wb quick hitter to the outside (can't remember the name right now) that are very similar to this play and they all work pretty well and while not consistently, pretty well, If this play works anything like those two examples I am going to be more than pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean I have run flexbone before and ran the wb sweep, and the other wb quick hitter to the outside (can't remember the name right now) that are very similar to this play and they all work pretty well and while not consistently, pretty well, If this play works anything like those two examples I am going to be more than pleased with it.
    That is assuming the backs pick up the guys on the outside that they are supposed to. The only way it will work consistently is if they have sped up the hand off animation.

Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
    That is assuming the backs pick up the guys on the outside that they are supposed to. The only way it will work consistently is if they have sped up the hand off animation.
    I agree with that if it's a standard turn and hand off it's going to be a little inconsistent, but if it's like the flexbone plays I mentioned it should be fine. Because in those plays the quarterback takes the handoff and turns to immediately hand the ball to the carrier. Agree with you that the back have to pick up the outside blocks but it's possible. Just trying to say to look at play art and write it off right away seems a little premature to me. But then again either of us could be right about it or wrong about it.

Nice, I hope the AI blocking is better like others have stated. It starts and ends there before anything else can happen.

I'm still voting for create a playbook with custom plays, I would love to create my own plays.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepony99 View Post
    I'm still voting for create a playbook with custom plays, I would love to create my own plays.
    This +1000, I would love create a play and custom playbooks. But if I had to pick one or the other I would pick custom playbooks before custom plays.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
    I agree with that if it's a standard turn and hand off it's going to be a little inconsistent, but if it's like the flexbone plays I mentioned it should be fine. Because in those plays the quarterback takes the handoff and turns to immediately hand the ball to the carrier. Agree with you that the back have to pick up the outside blocks but it's possible. Just trying to say to look at play art and write it off right away seems a little premature to me. But then again either of us could be right about it or wrong about it.
    I'm not being premature at all. Try to run any HB Counter play out of any Shotgun formation and you will see what I mean. The blocking is atrocious in the trenches. Until they actually fix the game where players block with leverage (and thus get pushed around with leverage as well) this game will be nothing more than an arcade version of NCAA football where you find the plays that work and then abuse the hell out of them over and over again.

I'm not being premature at all. Try to run any HB Counter play out of any Shotgun formation and you will see what I mean. The blocking is atrocious in the trenches. Until they actually fix the game where players block with leverage (and thus get pushed around with leverage as well) this game will be nothing more than an arcade version of NCAA football where you find the plays that work and then abuse the hell out of them over and over again.
    Actually, so long as you have two backside blockers in a Shotgun HB Counter, you'll have above average success. For example, run it out of Shotgun - Ace Big or even run it out of Shotgun - Slot and motion the WR and snap it as he is on the OT's back hip.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Actually, so long as you have two backside blockers in a Shotgun HB Counter, you'll have above average success. For example, run it out of Shotgun - Ace Big or even run it out of Shotgun - Slot and motion the WR and snap it as he is on the OT's back hip.
    Thank you. Could not agree with this more. In my opinion and that is all it is, you have to be creative like a real football coach is when making some of these plays work. You can use motion and such to help a little. Think about it this way. There is no play in college football that works all the time , every play gets stuffed or fails to work at some point, and some of them do not work at all most of the time, depending on your talent and that of your opponent. I am not talking about being cheesy with it, and finding those five plays that work all the time and abusing them. I wish the game would send you a breakdown of your play calling with percentages of which plays you run and how often you run them, I doubt I would have a play over 10% for the season, I try every play, and not just once, I try them multiple times.

I have met people that say the end around never works and it's a piece of garbage on the game and I have personally used it for four or five touchdowns and probably average over 7 yards a carry with it. Does it get blown up in the backfield from time to time? Sure. Does it get me 2 or 3 yards sometimes. But then others it pops for a 45 yard touchdown.

I think this play will be like that. Like I said, I could very well be wrong, but then again I could very well be right.

BOOMER SOONER! OU perfected this formation late last year.

I'm thrilled with the addition of new plays (Madden is due for the same), but it emphasizes the necessity of custom playbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    How does any of that prevent the DT from blowing right up the middle in the wide open lane that's created by the pulling guard and getting to the hand off point sometimes before the QB even hands it off?

The only reason why it MIGHT work is if you're playing against someone that actually adjusts their defensive line out of the default setup. Against the computer, that play will NEVER work like it's supposed to.

How does any of that prevent the DT from blowing right up the middle in the wide open lane that's created by the pulling guard and getting to the hand off point sometimes before the QB even hands it off?

The only reason why it MIGHT work is if you're playing against someone that actually adjusts their defensive line out of the default setup. Against the computer, that play will NEVER work like it's supposed to.
    I do tend to semi-agree with you on the blocking, it still needs a great deal of work. I did think last year was a HUGE step in the right direction. I'd like to see more fine-tuning from this point on: make sure the right blocker is coming off the double to get to the second level depending on the play called, make sure blockers aren't indecisive or leaving blocks on Dlineman to get to linebackers when no one else is picking up the Dlineman, etc...

I do like that EA tries to continuously add new plays each year however I would like to see the plays that are currently in the game but don't quite work right get some more attention as well. Most notably WR jailbreak and bubble screens, Play action passes, QB Wraps and Zone Reads to name a few all need a bit of tweaking.