Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 11 - Dynasty Blog 2 of 3: Prospects

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Why don't you know if you like it? Or what about it don't you like? Just curious.
    Sorry for the late reply JB - stupid Websense. I think potential is different in every player and I'm not really sure coaches truly know how much potential a player has when they recruit them. About the only time you can predict a higher ceiling is if a kid is a late bloomer physically or hasn't really played much and is raw. I love having potential ratings but nobody should really know what that potential is. It's the unknown that's great in recruiting and I think they should remain hidden. The rankings should be based on what they have done and what they are perceived to be. People can go after all the 4* and 5* kids but you never know how they will really perform in real life. Some 5* kids become first rounders and others disappoint. Some 2 or 3* kids occassionally become great football players. If the game ranks prospects with a weighting system that includes where they will start and their potential, it's almost like knowing what your Christmas gifts are ahead of time. I want to be pleasantly surprised by a kid that ends up better than expected or disappointed in certain kids.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Potential is part of the rankings but not for every player. Therefore, one player could be a 75 as a Freshman and an 85 as a Senior while another could be a 70 as a Freshman and a 90 as a Senior. Depending on whether or not Potential is calculated for those two players, either one could be ranked higher.
    Rudy, read this ^^^ and read the blog again. I'm certain they're trying to say that potential will sometimes cause a lower rated player to be ranked higher in the ESPN 150 but potential will not always be factored in which will also allow for hidden gems and busts. I'm not positive, but I don't think you'll see potential ratings until the player is on your roster (if ever).

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Rudy, read this ^^^ and read the blog again. I'm certain they're trying to say that potential will sometimes cause a lower rated player to be ranked higher in the ESPN 150 but potential will not always be factored in which will also allow for hidden gems and busts. I'm not positive, but I don't think you'll see potential ratings until the player is on your roster (if ever).
    Exactly right Steeler. That's what I saw. Plus Rudy, the potential is there as a "hidden" rating. We won't see it. We can only guess based on a lower rated player being higher on the recruiting board 150. The use of that hidden potential is randomly used and unused per player. Could be a 5* bust or a 3* All American. So the best thing to do is look at need and ratings based on how YOU run your system this year. Star power will help, but won't always pan out to be that super steal you thought you were getting. I think we may get a better understanding on that as they round out blog 3.

I like the sound of that much better guys. Looks good.

Can any of the CD guys comment on the extent that the ratings have been stretched to? Is it similar to Madden? More? Less?

I'm just wondering if there will actually be a tangible difference between bad, good, and great players this year. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava View Post
    Can any of the CD guys comment on the extent that the ratings have been stretched to? Is it similar to Madden? More? Less?

I'm just wondering if there will actually be a tangible difference between bad, good, and great players this year. Thanks in advance.
    The rosters were still a work in progress while we were at CD but from the comments they made, it sounded like they would be stretched similar to Madden. I'm not sure if they will be THAT drastic or not but maybe JB & cdj saw more when they returned for the draft event.

Nice. Thanks gschwendt, hopefully JB or cjd can elaborate a bit more.

Nice. Thanks gschwendt, hopefully JB or cjd can elaborate a bit more.
    The video that was released in a Madden blog definitely gives you a good indication that the ratings will give a good mixture of the overall player. http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.a...gId=locomotion the 90 vs. 99 race video.

What we saw at the community day was 50 SPD 50 ACC vs. 100 SPD 50 ACC vs. 50 SPD 100 ACC .... that video we saw definitely can show you the difference between a bad and a good player. And that was just talking in terms of speed and acceleration. Locomotion help a great deal in this.

Even in April, the build didn't like us looking at the depth charts too much, but in the little we were able to, it seemed like ratings were spread out. Though, we were only able to look at a handful of teams/positions before it would freeze, so keep that in mind.

Playing with teams, you do feel a difference between a Nebraska (Top 10) and a Minnesota (maybe a Top 40 team).

Yeah, it makes sense that Nebraska would feel much different than Minnesota when the skill gap is amplified throughout nearly the entire roster.

I was wondering more along the lines of if you could feel a real difference between individual players; like, for Nebraska, would you notice a difference immediately between say Zac Lee and LaTravis Washington? Granted, Lee wasn't too impressive last year, but you get my drift. I just want it to be similar to Madden in that if your starting QB, HB, w/e gets hurt that you actually notice a real difference and there is a need to adjust your gameplan when you are forced to play with your backup.

Yeah, it makes sense that Nebraska would feel much different than Minnesota when the skill gap is amplified throughout nearly the entire roster.

I was wondering more along the lines of if you could feel a real difference between individual players; like, for Nebraska, would you notice a difference immediately between say Zac Lee and LaTravis Washington? Granted, Lee wasn't too impressive last year, but you get my drift. I just want it to be similar to Madden in that if your starting QB, HB, w/e gets hurt that you actually notice a real difference and there is a need to adjust your gameplan when you are forced to play with your backup.
    Don't forget that Taylor Martinez is the greatest football player ever in college football

Don't forget that Taylor Martinez is the greatest football player ever in college football
    Haha, I hope we find out that is a fact this season.

I love that running joke on Unsportsmanlike Conduct (not sure if you listen to that on 1620 ESPN Radio in Omaha) .... I love that show.

These changes are definitely going to make for an interesting go at it within the dyansty. Especially online dynasties when you're trying to find that hidden gem, or the JUCO to put you over the top for the near future.

I noticed it most with RBs. You could really tell who had the higher break tackle ratings as they'd be tough to bring down one-on-one or on the first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I noticed it most with RBs. You could really tell who had the higher break tackle ratings as they'd be tough to bring down one-on-one or on the first attempt.
    Speaking of RB's, was there any kind of penalizing factor for taking the ball on a run and immediately sprinting? Like taking an extra false step to get up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    Speaking of RB's, was there any kind of penalizing factor for taking the ball on a run and immediately sprinting? Like taking an extra false step to get up to speed.
    Not sure if there is a penalizing factor, but you're not going to be following the blocks, so you won't be as successful compared to being patient.

Not sure if there is a penalizing factor, but you're not going to be following the blocks, so you won't be as successful compared to being patient.
    I really hope that 11 forces me to break that habit.

I can't wait to get a feel for the RS moves. If you gently push the stick does the RB slightly shift and if its a hard push does the RB juke? (rhetorical) Doing 'shimmy' moves and setting up moves on defensive players will hopefully be a lot of fun.

I just hope that this year if I bring say Idaho to play at Ohio St that I am dominated every play... skill needs to be prevelant this year...the game needs that realistic feel.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I just hope that this year if I bring say Idaho to play at Ohio St that I am dominated every play... skill needs to be prevelant this year...the game needs that realistic feel.
    Ya, me too. I remember on 2004 playing a cupcake against an A+ team and getting blown out. I think I went 6-6 or 5-7 the first season.

Has anyone ever got fired in a dynasty? I think I've only had one losing season in all my time of playing college football. Hopefully this year I'll have a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ya, me too. I remember on 2004 playing a cupcake against an A+ team and getting blown out. I think I went 6-6 or 5-7 the first season.

Has anyone ever got fired in a dynasty? I think I've only had one losing season in all my time of playing college football. Hopefully this year I'll have a few more.
    I've never been fired and never had a losing season. I'd love to have a losing season (went 6-6 with Buffalo once). I wish I could have one several seasons in and not just the first season. I'd like to coach at say - Northwestern or Vandy and struggle in conference. Just having some ups and downs and feeling it when I have a 'Meh' recruiting class.

Hopefully 11 will at least make us have some bad recruiting classes even if it doesn't equal losses.