Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 11 - Dynasty Blog 1 of 3: Phone Call

• Facebook
  • Display

Article: NCAA Football 11 - Dynasty Blog 1 of 3: Phone Call

I think everything looks really slick. I love how much simpler and transparent everything in recruiting seems now with this new phone call system. Additionally, it introduces a whole new level of strategy to recruiting (how many topics do you want to cover, when should you change topics, when should you use an out, and a clear overview of the point distribution).

Plus, we get our first look at the new interface and the really awesome looking ESPN ticker at the bottom.

I think that this is a huge upgrade from the previous games. I personally like how you can now see why you're moving up or down on the recruit's list. I agree that it does make the recruiting process more of strategy thing instead of just selecting quick call and hoping for the best. This makes the recruiting process much more realistic and enjoyable IMO. Great news! Can't wait for the 2nd and 3rd part of the recruiting update!

Certainly looks pretty, but my reading comprehension must suck today, as I really feel I need to actually play with it to figure out what is going on......

It appears you'll be able to budget your time better, instead of attacking a topic in past years and not having an idea of what it will 'cost' you.

The change to Compare instead of Downplay looks like it could make for some good fun late in the season when the lists are pared down and you know the main competition for a recruit, as well as online dynasty humans fighting over recruits.

Also, you can no longer reschedule visits.
    This seems like a bit of a constraint now in that you don't want to bring recruits in too early potentially.
    Last edited by AustinWolv; 05-18-2010 at 11:04 AM.

The quick overview is:

Each week you pick which recruits you want to speak to, and how many topics (10 mins each) you want to cover with each recruit.

When you enter the call, it takes you to a random topic. You have 5 options of how to handle the topic (6 including change topic; but you only get three of those per week). The goal is to maximize points, and point are determined by how good your school is, how important it is to the recruit, and how you chose to handle the topic.

One of the real cool things is the point overview to see how far you are behind the other schools.

Does that help your understanding?

Yeah it is very slick. The very first thing I liked about the whole recruiting interface was the call recap screen. Really liked that to wrap up the phone call.

I also like how you can see your progression of all of our pitches and actions up on the top, along with your instant feedback after that pitch.

The compare pitch with a different school is very handy as well so you can instantly see if you should try to recruit against a school or not. And as you said there is a new level of strategy where you can try to change the topic or just go to make a promise to try to optimize your phone call.

At the community day, I definitely had a blast with the recruiting. Russ was challenging me to try to just do hard sells only to see if I would succeed. And I wasn't really. So it is going to be a fun challenge.

looks really good. I like that they added the promises to be used during the season and not just off-season, and that they limited them. hopefully they'll not be bugged like the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I also like how you can see your progression of all of our pitches and actions up on the top, along with your instant feedback after that pitch.
    At the community day, I definitely had a blast with the recruiting. Russ was challenging me to try to just do hard sells only to see if I would succeed. And I wasn't really. So it is going to be a fun challenge.
    ^^^^ This.

Hey JB, in previous years quick calls have often been nearly counter-effective. Did you happen to check out the quick call at CD? If so, was it at least relatively but not quite as effective as if you had done the call?

I was having so much fun doing the regular calls, I didn't mess with quick call because I was really trying to get through a whole season doing my own plan of recruiting (and time constraints only got me through half a season).

I like the new look, but I think there was something about trying to find out what pitch each recruit liked and what they liked most. Also correct me if im wrong but I can only use 1hr on a recruit right?

Also CD guys did you see any small schools getting big time recruits? I know in the OD I was in I pulled the #1 recruit 3 yrs in a row with Troy.

Definitely going to be a huge change. No more 3 hours to one recruit for me.

JB, would appreciate you answering this or not ... depending on how I want to read the blog, it seems like either I can select each of the topics I want to touch on, or I just select the number and then get them Russian Roulette style. I'm relatively certain I'm misreading, but the blog isn't entirely clear.

On another topic, found out I can get to the site from work. That's actually a shock ... a pleasant surprise at that.

Right, you can have up to six topics per recruit, and each topic takes up 10 minutes

Sounds promising... I definitely like the idea of what they've added/changed. Of course I'll reserve my judgement until I've tried it but it seems like they're heading in a good direction. I really like that you can now make promises at any point in the season. I've thought since they added promises that this needed to be the case. How often do smaller schools land a big time recruit because they promise them the chance to start/play immediately.

I really hope that the next 2 dynasty updates are about changes completely unrelated to recruiting. It seems like that is the only area of dynasty that has been changed in awhile. I really hope to see some other aspects overhauled (offseason training, gameplanning/ scouting, etc..).

Overall, a really nice start though!

Quote Originally Posted by texacotea View Post
    I like the new look, but I think there was something about trying to find out what pitch each recruit liked and what they liked most. Also correct me if im wrong but I can only use 1hr on a recruit right?

Also CD guys did you see any small schools getting big time recruits? I know in the OD I was in I pulled the #1 recruit 3 yrs in a row with Troy.
    Should be tougher as you're not going to get as many points unless you're rated highly in a certain category, and you're able to pitch that category to the recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Definitely going to be a huge change. No more 3 hours to one recruit for me.

JB, would appreciate you answering this or not ... depending on how I want to read the blog, it seems like either I can select each of the topics I want to touch on, or I just select the number and then get them Russian Roulette style. I'm relatively certain I'm misreading, but the blog isn't entirely clear.

On another topic, found out I can get to the site from work. That's actually a shock ... a pleasant surprise at that.
    You can do up to six actions....scholarship, promise, or pitch....the pitches come at you randomly.

Should be tougher as you're not going to get as many points unless you're rated highly in a certain category, and you're able to pitch that category to the recruit.

You can do up to six actions....scholarship, promise, or pitch....the pitches come at you randomly.
    The strategy involved is either using one of your skips, throwing in a promise, or just offering a scholarship on the spot for those pitches that are not strong points of your school.

The strategy involved is either using one of your skips, throwing in a promise, or just offering a scholarship on the spot for those pitches that are not strong points of your school.
    So if you "change the subject" does that count as one of the "pitches" you spent 10 minutes on or is it replaced with another?

I like the new interface, but the actual calls were never a problem for me. I'd like to see recruiting be a little harder and maybe be able to see hard verbal recruits decommit. I'm excited to see what else they added to dynasty because the only other major thing I can think of is coaching carousel, but I would be shocked if they added that this year.

When you enter the call, it takes you to a random topic...............the pitches come at you randomly.
    Yes, this is what I was questioning earlier. Thanks for clarifying.

One of the real cool things is the point overview to see how far you are behind the other schools.
    Agreed.
    Previously, the intuition was there if you were in the bottom 1/3 of a Top10 to avoid wasting your time unless you felt like dumping a lot of effort into a guy but being in the middle 1/3 of the Top10 was feasible, so having an actual point value when you are middle of the pack to know if you are at that 'cutoff' of being too far behind or not is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    So if you "change the subject" does that count as one of the "pitches" you spent 10 minutes on or is it replaced with another?
    It counts as one of the 3 skips you have per phone call.