• Eagles

2 40.00%
  • Patriots

3 60.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Season Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    I thought Brady was a bit off at times. Maybe I expect him to be perfect but his ball placement wasn’t always there. He dropped that pass and also was lucky a couple of throws weren’t picked off.

I have been a big believer in needing an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. The list of great QBs winning titles is huge and bad QBs very small. But it has been done and with 3 of the final 4 QBs being mediocre at best in Foles, Keenum and Bortles I think there is good evidence that smart play design and coaching can help overcome limitations. Plus those QBs save a ton of money.

When Seattle won with Russell Wilson he was still on his rookie contract and cheap. These QBs are cheap and don’t have a lot of cap space allocated to QB. If you are going to pay a QB $20M+ he better be a real difference maker. I think that’s why the Chiefs dumped Alex Smith. Mahomes is cheap and they can use that money in other spots. Even the Jets under Sanchez were strong because he was cheap and other areas were strong.

But a great offensive coach to mask problems and be aggressive can make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Kind of amazing that the Pats lost despite a great game from Brady and the offense. What was up with benching Malcolm Butler? Patricia's response of it being due to 'packages' and 'can't get everyone in' seemed pretty weak. He's getting lots of comparisons to Shanahan from last year....perceived as blowing the game as he has his foot out the door for a HC job.
    Yeah, if you had told me Brady threw for 505 yards, 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions and I had to guess the score, I would have guessed Patriots had racked up 45+ points and probably won by 15 or more. I had a bad feeling when the 22-12 halftime lead showed up on my phone's notifications. I'm looking forward to actually watching the game now, got the 3 hour NFL Network replay of the game currently recording on the DVR at home. I'm especially looking forward to it now knowing that the Patriots lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I have been a big believer in needing an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. The list of great QBs winning titles is huge and bad QBs very small. But it has been done and with 3 of the final 4 QBs being mediocre at best in Foles, Keenum and Bortles I think there is good evidence that smart play design and coaching can help overcome limitations. Plus those QBs save a ton of money.

When Seattle won with Russell Wilson he was still on his rookie contract and cheap. These QBs are cheap and don’t have a lot of cap space allocated to QB. If you are going to pay a QB $20M+ he better be a real difference maker. I think that’s why the Chiefs dumped Alex Smith. Mahomes is cheap and they can use that money in other spots. Even the Jets under Sanchez were strong because he was cheap and other areas were strong.

But a great offensive coach to mask problems and be aggressive can make a huge difference.
    That's what sort of scares me with the Broncos being one of the likely landing places of Kirk Cousins. To pay the kind of money they'll have to pay him, part of the defense is going to have to be blown up with some players shipped out or cut to create space. Now, the defense has already fallen off big time compared to their Super Bowl 50 winning defense, but there are still a lot of good playmakers there.

I'd rather have an above average and cheap quarterback, playing behind a stellar O-line and a smashmouth defense, so the QB doesn't have to do everything himself to win games, rather than paying out the ass for a great or elite QB. If you can draft a great or elite QB, hey, fantastic! But you're going to strike out a hell of a lot more often trying to draft another Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees than you will actually draft that elite franchise QB of the future. Just look at the, likely by now, 30+ rotation of QBs in Cleveland since 1999.

I think the OL play has to be good no matter what. If a QB doesn’t have time to throw or there is no run blocking the offence is screwed. Miami needs a better ol.

After accepting the Colts job, McDaniels headed back to NE. Oops.

After accepting the Colts job, McDaniels headed back to NE. Oops.
    What a dick. I hope he never gets another HC interview again.

Wow! I wonder if he’s been told something about Bills future (short) and maybe him taking over sooner than later. Or working for Irsay may not be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Wow! I wonder if he’s been told something about Bills future (short) and maybe him taking over sooner than later. Or working for Irsay may not be good.
    Probably a bit of both but the fact is he screwed a slew of coaches who were planning to join him in Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    What a dick. I hope he never gets another HC interview again.
    He’s probably, secretly, NE’s HC-in-waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    He’s probably, secretly, NE’s HC-in-waiting.

Probably. Hopefully sooner than later. He will run them into the ground which will make us all happy.

Probably a bit of both but the fact is he screwed a slew of coaches who were planning to join him in Indianapolis.
    That's the part that really gets me. I can accept him changing his mind, but only after getting other coaches on-board to follow him? That's really tacky.

That's the part that really gets me. I can accept him changing his mind, but only after getting other coaches on-board to follow him? That's really tacky.
    Matt Eberflus left Dallas (where he had been for years) and already moved to Indy. While ownership will likely make the new HC keep him, it's a shitty situation.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...2020/?shawct=1

Feel for Jags fans. I just don't seem him bringing them to the dance. Personally I would have put the $$$ to land Kirk Cousins.

Yeah, as well as he played this year, he just hasn't shown the consistency and constant high level of play to be the next Roethlisberger or Brady or Brees.

Maybe he'll prove everyone wrong, I certainly hope so as I'd love to see Jacksonville get a Super Bowl trophy, but I just don't have the confidence in him to do so.

The Browns making a bunch of moves today.

Browns trade a 2018 and 2019 pick (league sources say none higher than third round) to the Dolphins for WR Jarvis Landry.

Browns trade a 2018 3rd rounder (#65 overall) to the Bills for QB Tyrod Taylor.

Browns trade QB DeShone Kizer to the Packers for CB Damarious Randall. Both teams will also swap 4th and 5th round picks.

With all of that, the Browns STILL have the #1, 4th, 33rd, 35th and 64th picks in this year's draft.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 03-10-2018 at 04:48 AM.

I like the stuff for the Browns. Getting a solid, veteran QB in Taylor and they need that. Get them back to respectability while they draft a young QB. They can still add a ton of talent through the draft and FA yet.

I don’t think Landry is worth $16M a year. He’s too limited in his game as only a short area slot WR. That said, he has incredible passion, desire and effort. Breaks tackles well and will give the Browns energy and toughness.
    Last edited by Rudy; 03-09-2018 at 08:15 PM.

I guess the Clowns finally realized that they suck at drafting and free agents leave Cleveland but never arrive there. Therefore, the only way they can do anything is to trade assets for players who have no choice but to show up.

Fuck Cleveland.

I guess the Clowns finally realized that they suck at drafting and free agents leave Cleveland but never arrive there. Therefore, the only way they can do anything is to trade assets for players who have no choice but to show up.

Fuck Cleveland.

The trades continue today, with the Browns sending DT Danny Shelton and 2018 5th rounder to New England for their 2019 3rd rounder.

Also the details of the Miami trade are out now. The Browns get Jarvis Landry in return for a 2018 4th round pick and a 2019 7th round pick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 03-10-2018 at 11:53 AM.