• Machinima Sports: NCAA Football 12 Interview - Visuals & Pylon Physics

Machinima Sports has posted a Skype interview NCAA Football 12 Art Director Jean Adams and Producer Ben Haumiller. The interview reviews the previous announced visual improvements, but also discloses a new small, but authentic addition to the game: Pylon Physics. Continue on to see the video interview with Adams & Haumiller.

Image and video courtesy Machinima.com.

Latest images (click here for more)
    Comments 31 Comments
      psusnoop -
      Interesting, nice little touch. Something small but yet something real, I like it.
      CLW -
      Its no wind socks but I've been clamoring for pylons that obey the laws of physics. Who cares if the players do not obey the laws of physics.
      cdj -
      Looks like a pretty cool touch. I'm interested in seeing how many ways there are in 'reaching out' or 'hitting' the pylon to score. With a close defender, will players run towards the pylon and hope to hit it as being brought down so as to get the score versus being down at the 1 or 2? It could also make for some cool scores (and screenshots) on breakaway scores, as in the Machinima shot. The game does need more excitement/action down the goalline and this could be good start.
      JBHuskers -
      It'll be cool if there are plays where the player is reaching for the pylon, and it prompts an instant replay as to if he gets the touchdown or not.
      oweb26 -
      I can see the "I got robbed of a TD" threads already, or maybe thats another site.

I have seen some questionable Instant replay calls in my games already.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
      I can see the "I got robbed of a TD" threads already, or maybe thats another site.

I have seen some questionable Instant replay calls in my games already.
      Just imitating real life man.
      jaymo76 -
      Nice addition as one of those little things. In truth it doesn't do much for me but whatever. A visual improvement is a visual improvement.
      MCdonnieG -
      Boy O boy they're inching out the details bit by bit!! Pylon physics is definitely a subtle touch that'll be appreciated further down the line. Knowing that EA SPORTS is paying attention to the smallest details makes me wonder what else we're in store for! Sorry...excuse my drool!
      Jayrah -
      Little touch will make a real impact in how the goalline game feels for me. I've always been bothered by sliding through the digi-pylons. Every little thing helps. Like some have said, reaching out to get to it would be a really sweet touch!
      steelerfan -
      What's up with the UGA player's shoes? It looks like he's wearing two different styles, lol.

The pylons have been a bother for years, I'm glad to see this. The grass looks so good, i can't say that enough!
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      What's up with the UGA player's shoes? It looks like he's wearing two different styles, lol.
      Well, you can do that in the player edit screen... though on NCAA11, it's only mid/low/generic I believe.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      maybe he's the kicker?
      Jayrah -
      So far the football has been well proportioned. If you'll remember last year, we were worried because in every single shot the ball was a different size. Also, the helmets are looking SO AMAZING this season. They must have made the facemasks smaller cause it finally fits players' faces.

On the subject of extracurricular physics. With the grass coming into play (again hopefully only on real grass fields, and then on the field turf hopefully we get the rubber pellets), and now the Pylons, I am hoping for extra follow through sideline play. For example a defender running a ball carrier out of bounds, and late hits from low awareness defenders, etc. It may not seem like the same arena but the idea of momentum affecting things "outside the actual play itself" falls under the same umbrella. And if something like chain gangs is added, I would want to see that type of a thing interact with the chains, with players jumping over, the chain gang dropping the yard markers, etc. That, along with the other 2 additions, would add tremendously to the realism factor of the game.
      skipwondah33 -
      Wasn't this already in the game several versions ago before then it was taken away?
      steelerfan -
      Jayrah, I'm under the impression that late hits wouldn't be allowed, by the NCAA, to be in the game. I wish they were though. The game needs more penalties and more penalty variety.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
      Wasn't this already in the game several versions ago before then it was taken away?
      I can't remember. I think on PS2 you may have been able to run into the pylons and make them slide across the field. I can't remember if hitting them triggered a score though or if there were any 'physics' behind it. (May have been a destructible object for lack of a better term.)
      skipwondah33 -
      Yeah it was PS2. No I don't think hitting them validated a score but I know they moved when you hit either of them (the one in the back of the endzone and the goal line) Hell I would just like to see them move again lol
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I can't remember. I think on PS2 you may have been able to run into the pylons and make them slide across the field. I can't remember if hitting them triggered a score though or if there were any 'physics' behind it. (May have been a destructible object for lack of a better term.)
      Those things had rockets underneath them...
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Those things had rockets underneath them...
      No kidding, lol. I actually used to get annoyed at frequency of running into the chain gang. Those bastards were blind! Get outta my way!!
      Jayrah -
      double post...