• NCAA Football 12 Blog & Video: Visual Improvements

EA SPORTS has posted a new blog and video featuring Art Director Jean Adams & Designer Ben Haumiller discussing some of the significant visual upgrades coming to NCAA Football 12.

Continue on to read the full blog from Jean and to see the video showing off the improved game visuals. After viewing the video & reading the blog, share your thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community!

Jean Adams here, Art Director for NCAA Football. I’m very excited to be bringing you the first blog for NCAA Football 12! We’ve been working on some killer visual upgrades and I am glad that we can finally start sharing them with the community. I’m also exited because I think fans of the “The photographic side of NCAA” will really appreciate these visual upgrades. I’m constantly amazed at how your feedback has taken our game and turned it in to a work of art as we continue to make shots look even more amazing in NCAA Football 12. Anyways, let’s get to the good stuff.

The NCAA Football 12 development team thinks it’s important that the game feel fresh and new, straight out of the box. NCAA Football 11 received a much needed visual upgrade in the form of linear lighting and we wanted to build on that momentum in NCAA Football 12. We felt the next step was to implement something that not only made the game look great, but also brought some life in how the game is rendered. It had to be something that immersed players in the college football atmosphere (I’ll explain why I think this is immersive later).

It’s because of this goal that we thought HDR rendering would be a good focal point. Without getting too technical, HDR (High Dynamic Range Rendering) is a way of rendering bright and dark parts of the game while still maintaining a high level of detail. It allows us to preserve contrast without losing the details that make the game look realistic. We also wanted to address how the game looks when being played under shadows. In previous versions, playing in the shadows made gameplay appear dark and muddy, which really killed the quality of our game. This was especially noticeable when playing in huge stadiums like The Swamp or Death Valley, where at certain times of the day shadows cover most of the field making action hard to see. Previously, we had to sacrifice contrast to maintain brightness on the shadow side, but I’m getting way too technical so let me show you the first screenshot of NCAA Football 12.

While you may think those images look good, screenshots don’t do justice to the impact HDR brings to every aspect of our game, so let’s take a look at HDR in action.

After seeing that, I hope the photogs out there are salivating at the thought of what screenshots they will be able to take once they get their hands on this year’s game.

The improvements don’t end with HDR and Dynamic Exposure. As you can see in the screenshots, we have added a lot of other eye candy to the game. Dreadlocks, Higher resolution crowds and new gear are featured here, but what stands out the most is the addition of 3-Dimensonal grass and particles. The field surface has looked like a tennis court for way too long, with the addition of 3D grass our game looks more photo realistic and immersive.

This is just a glimpse of some of the visual upgrades for NCAA Football 12. Stay tuned for the next blog revealing more enhancements and innovations for this year’s installment of the NCAA Football franchise.

Jean Adams

Art Director

Latest images (click here for more)
    Comments 115 Comments
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      CDJ didn't make a new thread for it (which might be a better idea cdj...)
      Maybe one thread for the offensive plays and one for the defensive. But 25 plays shouldn't be 25 threads.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Maybe one thread for the offensive plays and one for the defensive. But 25 plays shouldn't be 25 threads.
      I agree. One for each would suffice.
      ram29jackson -
      unlees they changed how the players move around and how they tackle and block etc, I really dont give a damn about lighting.

and there arent palm trees on the Miami sleeves either. who cares what the players leg looks like if it still moves like a stick figure ?

look, you know i'll buy the game haha but none of this is valuable info
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      unlees they changed how the players move around and how they tackle and block etc, I really dont give a damn about lighting.

and there arent palm trees on the Miami sleeves either. who cares what the players leg looks like if it still moves like a stick figure ?

Not necessarily valuable to you but even if that is the case, do you think EA would release their most important information early or late in the process?
      HWill -
      I agree.
      Details -
      I'm so ready for a new football game.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post

I think they tackle and block and move very well in 11. They do not look or feel like stick figures at all imo. Could it be better? Absolutely. From these screen shots, does it "LOOK" like they are moving better? As far as I can tell....Absolutely. Will the lighting help them look like their moving better? ABSO-FRICKIN'-LUTELY! If the game looked the same, we'd all think...."good grief it looks the same, I'm not holding out hope for good game improvements".

The first info from ANY sports game is going to be aesthetic. I don't get it....Why are some people always in the "I don't care about this info, none of it is valuable" mode during first info? Good Lord it LOOKS FRICKIN SPECTACULAR! That's a great start to information about the game. If the gameplay lives up to the look, we're gonna be stuck on the couch in a few months. And NO we don't say that every year....but last year I thought that, and I'm still stuck on the couch playing the game every 2-3 days, just loving my league because the game is really good. I've never ever played a football game this late after the season.
      Kwizzy -
      That's a good call Jeff. I just wasn't aware that new play was in there until I stumbled across it. Perhaps a running tally in the thread title and/or a last updated label?
      cdj -
      The list has been updated in the first post of the new plays thread, the news article, and also on the Info Central page. Each day we'll also post it on our Twitter and Facebok pages. Unless we deliver it to your front door, there's not much more we can do.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      The list has been updated in the first post of this thread, the news article, and also on the Info Central page. Each day we'll also post it on our Twitter and Facebok pages. Unless we deliver it to your front door, there's not much more we can do.
      Oh ok, well I'll just go F*** myself then....
      cdj -
      I don't think you have to go that far! I think yesterday's play got lost as there was still a pretty good discussion going on in regards to the Pistol Full House play from Monday.
      JBHuskers -
      Thank you Jimmy.
      steelerfan -
      I couldn't agree more with Jayrah. It's the FIRST information, don't think for a second that it's the biggest information. How are they supposed to release screenshots and not explain what visual differences there are? C'mon man!

Furthermore, I find it hilarious that someone who has started, and contributed so much to, threads that are all about photos of the game and his own "obsession" with equipment now says "none of this is valuable". Ram, I would have expected you to be very excited for any visual enhancements. I guess I'm just surprised that you're not.
      cdj -
      The visuals took a big leap last year and it seems that they may have again here in 12 and that's always a plus. Yearly titles can't afford to 'look the same as last year,' as is the stereotypical knock for sports titles and that goes not only for in-game graphics but also user interface. I'm interested in seeing what they did in regards to animations after an improvement in 11. That's an area that can probably always receive attention every year.
      JBHuskers -
      If that first screenshot is any indication, we might get some new animation triggers, in addition to everything else that could help make things look fresh. Now if we can actually control the player while he's on the ground to make a tackle?
      RussellWilson -
      I cant wait till a new screen shot is out!!!!!!!
      cdj -
      In regards to the band seating discussion from yesterday, it appears as if the screenshots are taken at Sun Life Stadium (Miami) but some of the video is from Qualcomm Stadium (notice signage as camera pans around player & lighting). I think the potential band shot in question is from Sun Life, though.
      JBHuskers -
      In regards to the band seating discussion from yesterday, it appears as if the screenshots are taken at Sun Life Stadium (Miami) but some of the video is from Qualcomm Stadium (notice signage as camera pans around player & lighting). I think the potential band shot in question is from Sun Life, though.
      That diagonal stripe down the front is quite telling....
      JeffHCross -
      I don't think you have to go that far! I think yesterday's play got lost as there was still a pretty good discussion going on in regards to the Pistol Full House play from Monday.
      Chris, I think putting the offensive and defensive plays in separate threads would help with managing the discussion. The defensive discussion could roll from one play to the next -- same with offense, without having to jump back and forth between them.
      cdj -
      Chris, I think putting the offensive and defensive plays in separate threads would help with managing the discussion. The defensive discussion could roll from one play to the next -- same with offense, without having to jump back and forth between them.
      OK, we can do that. The lone issue is that the discussion from the front page will not directly link to the proper thread necessarily. Then again, maybe most people don't view the site that way. (Though I think lurkers do.)