PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Switch

bdoughty
10-20-2016, 05:54 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-nx-news-confirmed-for-today/1100-6444626/

Nintendo has confirmed it will broadcast new details about the company's next big console on Thursday, October 20 at 7 AM PT/10 AM ET/3 PM BST.

the company will release a three-minute trailer for the NX. As of yet, we don't know if we'll see games, hardware, or both. Notably, Nintendo calls the announcement a "trailer" and not a full direct presentation.

Same day as the RDR 2 trailer. Odd, but it is Nintendo.

cdj
10-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Same day as the RDR 2 trailer. Odd, but it is Nintendo.

Clearly means RDR2 playable only on NX, IMO.

steelerfan
10-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Clearly means RDR2 playable only on NX, IMO.
Don't even joke like that. :(

cdj
10-20-2016, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

JBHuskers
10-20-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm interested.

cdj
10-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Will also have standard controller available in case those mini-Wii sticks aren't your style.

Rudy
10-20-2016, 09:44 AM
I think this is a good idea. I don't have interest in it but the graphics for NBA 2K looked pretty good on that. Curious to see the final specs and price on it.

Was that Skyrim at the beginning of the video?

JBHuskers
10-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Will also have standard controller available in case those mini-Wii sticks aren't your style.

Agreed, those are small damn controllers. Combined with the screen for a handheld, not bad, but thankfully the controller can be used at home or on the go with the system.

steelerfan
10-20-2016, 01:52 PM
That's a very cool concept but I need to know alot more before I'd even start to think about it.

I wonder if that mobile system is able to function as a tablet?

Either way, interesting. I really didn't expect to be impressed by Nintendo. Whether I am beyond today remains to be seen though.

Rudy
10-20-2016, 02:51 PM
If that could be used as a real tablet then it got a lot better. I think the Vita would have been more successful too.

gschwendt
10-20-2016, 03:51 PM
It won't be a tablet. If so, they would have to partner with Google or Apple and if they did that, they would have announced that partnership today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bdoughty
10-20-2016, 04:50 PM
I think this is a good idea. I don't have interest in it but the graphics for NBA 2K looked pretty good on that. Curious to see the final specs and price on it.

Was that Skyrim at the beginning of the video?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Some new Zelda videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hDuCeG1xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEj57Jd6d3A

Skyrim was shown about a minute into the video. Oddly enough it is not yet confirmed for the system.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/skyrim-not-confirmed-for-nintendo-switch-despite-a/1100-6444660/

souljahbill
10-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Y'all already know I'm in

morsdraconis
10-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Y'all already know I'm in

Same. This shit is the revolution. Fuck VR. I want 1080p (supposedly the screen is 900p according to leaks) mobile Mario, Zelda, etc.

cdj
10-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Seems like a cool idea if they can get publishers on board and the games are fully featured instead of watered down ports.

My concern from the video would be the quality of the device and if it can hold up long term with the constant sliding the controllers & screen in and out. Also, I wonder what kind of fan it has & how it keeps from overheating.

Agree with you, Mors - while I'd like to try out VR, I'm definitely more interested in Switch than VR. One you can take anywhere, the other you basically need an empty room to properly devote to it.

Rudy
10-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Right now I have very little desire for VR. Those games are limited and the price of the equipment is more than the console! No thanks. Maybe if I experienced it I might change my mind but right now I don't care about it.

steelerfan
10-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Right now I have very little desire for VR. Those games are limited and the price of the equipment is more than the console! No thanks. Maybe if I experienced it I might change my mind but right now I don't care about it.
Agreed.

Switch looks like the real future. VR feels like 3D, just a gimmick.

JBHuskers
10-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Agreed.

Switch looks like the real future. VR feels like 3D, just a gimmick.

Yeah I have zero desire for VR. On top of that the games are short as hell from what I've seen.

Rudy
10-22-2016, 11:24 AM
I read the Batman VR game was really cool but only 2-3 hours. That's pretty short even if the games are $25 to $30.

JBHuskers
10-22-2016, 03:08 PM
I read the Batman VR game was really cool but only 2-3 hours. That's pretty short even if the games are $25 to $30.

I think the Star Wars game is just short little missions.

bdoughty
10-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Rumors are that the Switch only has a max 3 hour battery life.

souljahbill
10-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Rumors are that the Switch only has a max 3 hour battery life.

Yeah. I also heard that it can be charged via USB

Rudy
10-22-2016, 08:18 PM
That would be the same time as the Wii U then. Ours didn't last longer than that but it wasn't really a problem for a console. Could be an issue when I see this as primarily a handheld system with an option to play on your TV.

morsdraconis
10-23-2016, 05:11 AM
I don't care what rumors are. I want to hear it directly from Nintendo. Until I do, I don't believe it.

bdoughty
10-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Well Nintendo is going to make you wait.

http://i.imgur.com/dV7KfYI.jpg

morsdraconis
10-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Can't wait! Console is already an instant buy for me. I just want all the meaty spec goodness of it.

jaymo76
11-13-2016, 02:27 PM
The wife told me she wants this on release day. I started looking into it. I give Nintendo credit. This actually looks outstanding. Plus with kids and road trips this will be fantastic.

Any rumours on the $$$$?

morsdraconis
11-13-2016, 02:28 PM
The wife told me she wants this on release day. I started looking into it. I give Nintendo credit. This actually looks outstanding. Plus with kids and road trips this will be fantastic.

Any rumours on the $$$$?

Rumours are that it's gonna be $300-$350. We'll know for sure on January 12th.

cdj
11-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Rumors today that the exact release date may be March 17.

Rudy
11-23-2016, 03:48 PM
I think the Canadian Toys R Us had it listed at $329.99. Will be curious.

cdj
12-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Via Game Informer (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/12/15/report-nintendo-switch-wont-be-as-powerful-as-the-ps4.aspx):

An article on Venture Beat based upon two sources says that the Nvidia graphics processing architecture for the upcoming Nintendo Switch system means it will be less powerful than the regular PlayStation 4 (as opposed to the new PS4 Pro).

According to the article, the Switch uses the Maxwell graphics processing architecture for its custom Tegra processor instead of the Pascal architecture that came out this year because Nintendo didn't want to wait for the Pascal.

Venture Beat "expects" the Switch to have 1 teraflop in performance, while it puts the PS4 at around 1.8 teraflops and says Sony's system that debuted in late 2013 has "much better memory bandwidth performance as well compared to the Switch." By further comparison, Venture Beat says Microsoft is planning 6 teraflops for the Xbox One Scorpio upgrade coming late next year.

The article speculates that by using Maxwell the Switch's price is "likely" under $400.

Is this a surprise though given that the Switch is basically a portable gaming device?

morsdraconis
12-18-2016, 07:06 AM
I mean, it's all speculation. We'll know more in like a month. People just need to calm their tits until then.

JBHuskers
12-19-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm interested in it for sure, but probably not day one. But if Nintendo keeps being Nintendo and plays it like the NES Classic, you won't be able to find one until next Christmas :D

cdj
01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Been reading that GameStop might start taking pre-orders for the Switch this week. Some countries started today, thought I read US on Friday.

morsdraconis
01-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Finally, all the bullshit "leaks" are put to rest and Nintendo shows everyone how you hype up a system to the point where everyone is going to want one. <anxiously awaits 11pm EST>

cdj
01-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Early rumors prior to press conference centering on a $300 price point for the Switch.

cdj
01-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Livestream for Nintendo presser at 10 PM CT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME

cdj
01-12-2017, 10:04 PM
- Release date: March 3, 2017
- Cost: $299.99

- Online: Free trial, then will become a paid service in fall of 2017.

- Console will not be region locked.

- Switch incorporating aspects of previous Nintendo consoles.

- 'Switch and Play': TV Mode, Tabletop Mode, Handheld Mode.

- Battery life: 2.5-6.5 hours, varying on game. Can play while charging battery.

- Can connect over wi-fi.

- Discussion on Joy-Con controllers. (Personal observation: They look small!)

- Can capture screenshots of gameplay, video added at a later date.

- Each Joy-Con will work as a fully-featured controller to help 'Share the Joy.'

- Neon Blue & Neon Red Joy-Con color variations, with wrist-strap (of course).

- HD Rumble & other controller tech shown.

Games:

- 1-2-Switch (Launch) & Arms (Spring) shown

- Splatoon 2 (Summer) - Stage & weapon updates after launch.

- Super Mario Odyssey: Large sandbox world. (Holiday 2017)

- Xenoblade 2

- Hyrule Emblem Warriors (?)

80+ games in development.

- Square Enix: Dragon Quest 10 & 11; Dragon Quest Heroes I & II; ???; Project Octopath Traveller.

- Bethesda: Skyrim

- Title undecided (Travis?) [Translator really struggling.]

- EA: EA SPORTS FIFA

- Game video montage shown, including many not revealed/discussed: Mario Kart, NBA 2K18, et al.

- Product configuration shown.

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild trailer. Available at launch, 3/3/17.

Info from PR sheet:

- Nintendo also unveiled a new online subscription service that will begin with a free trial at launch. The service includes a smart-device application available in Summer 2017 that will let users invite friends to play online, set play appointments and chat with one another as they play compatible games. The fully featured paid service will be available in the fall.

[So, you can't challenge people from within the console/menu? You need this app that isn't available until summer?]

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launches in April.

- Console & accessory prices (http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/)

- Internal memory: 32GB of internal memory, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. Users can easily expand storage space using microSDXC cards. Other features here (http://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/).

Rudy
01-13-2017, 03:58 AM
So this under powered console is the same price as a PS4 bundle and more expensive than an Xbox 1? That's a lot of money for a handheld based system.

And the launch lineup is tiny and bad. Nintendo just seems so out of touch.

morsdraconis
01-13-2017, 05:45 AM
So this under powered console is the same price as a PS4 bundle and more expensive than an Xbox 1? That's a lot of money for a handheld based system.

And I couldn't disagree more. Zelda is the entire reason to buy it and will be the reason I preorder this asap. This console will be with me 24/7.

Rudy
01-13-2017, 04:03 PM
You can play Zelda on the Wii U without having to buy an expensive console.

cdj
01-13-2017, 05:13 PM

souljahbill
01-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Why I think both Rudy and Mors have valid points, I lean more towards Mors direction for several reasons.

1) Making the exact same thing as the Microsoft and Sony wouldn't differentiate it enough from its competitors. In November when the new CoD comes out, no one would be the Nintendo version if it were just a PS4 clone.
2) While it may be underpowered, it seems to have a lot of tech in it. The HD rumble in the Joy-Cons seems ridiculous.
3) If the Switch were comparatively powered, the battery would last 10 minutes. From what I've seen, the games still look incredibly good considering the engine under the hood.
4) That Zelda looks great but that Mario looks to be fantastic!
5) I'm all in on Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors (It's a Dynasty Warriors game in the Fire Emblem universe similar to Hyrule Warriors, cdj). And I know a mainline Fire Emblem will be released eventually as well as a new Animal Crossing. Add in the Zelda and Mario and that's 7 games already I've essentially bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudy
01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
I like the concept but the price is way too high. It's $399 in Canada and more expensive than a PS4 or Xbox one. And there are very few launch games. Since it's underpowered the ports will be PS3 ports or none at all. I think it's $100 over priced at minimum.

bdoughty
01-13-2017, 06:17 PM
This is just going to be the WiiU all over again, with the option of playing games in handheld form. It will have third party support for a year or so and then slowly die away. The games at launch are slim and in true Nintendo form will release first party games at a glacial speed. Nintendo fans will be happy to play Zelda and then depressed until Mario arrives, rinse and repeat for the next few years.

The FIFA game is a "custom build" which really just means ported from the last gen (PS3/360). They will have it on the Switch for a year and maybe one year of Madden and then no more sports games from EA when they realize this stuff still does not sell on Nintendo systems because everything is downgraded. NBA 2K18 will also be a bust and end any sports game support

https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/status/820042981793071107

Accessories are way overpriced. The joy-con controllers are $50 for one side or $80 for a bundle of the left and right. Pro Controller is $70. The docking station is $90 (one is included, needed if you want a station for multiple TV's). Plus you have to pay for an online service, starting in the Fall.

There is much negativity about the system, the price and lack of games. It will sell fine early because there are enough Nintendo fans to do so but they can only help so much. This will not be the second coming of the Wii. The Wii was cheap and had something new with the waggle that brought in the casuals. This system will not fare well with casuals.

jaymo76
01-13-2017, 11:23 PM

I'm shocked at the price. $400 Cdn for this low power system is pretty extreme considering PS4 and XBOX1 alternatives.

bdoughty
01-14-2017, 01:13 AM
When you subscribe to the Online Service (Price TBD) you get one free NES or SNES game a month. After that month you lose access to it and have to buy it. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333664)

Also online voice chat/lobbies will be handled through an an app you download to a phone. 2017 and it is not built into the system?

This is rivaling the stupidity that Microsoft was blasting out when the Xbox One was revealed.

morsdraconis
01-14-2017, 05:12 AM
When you subscribe to the Online Service (Price TBD) you get one free NES or SNES game a month. After that month you lose access to it and have to buy it. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333664)

Also online voice chat/lobbies will be handled through an an app you download to a phone. 2017 and it is not built into the system?

This is rivaling the stupidity that Microsoft was blasting out when the Xbox One was revealed.

It's a portable system. Why wouldn't it make sense to have all of that built into your always connected to the internet cellphone? Makes it where you don't have to be in wifi to be able to play with people nearby and such. Also makes it where it's not a slave to the damn cellphone companies to pay an extra 40-50$ a month for 4G capabilities and shit.

Also, it's going to be NES and SNES classic games. Having the limited time access makes sense because if you don't play it in that month, you're not going to play it anyway. Most of those games take an hour or two to beat anyway. Sure, it's not ideal, but it's still free with the subscription, which you're going to want anyway to be able to play online and such.

And, for the record, I have preordered one. Knew I was going to preorder it well before the event the other night. The portability of something as powerful as it is AMAZING and the amount of technology built into the controllers is ridiculous. I'll gladly spend my $300 on it in a month and a half.

cdj
02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Extended cut of Nintendo Switch Super Bowl commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

JBHuskers
02-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Sounds like the subscription service will be somewhere between $18 and $27 a year.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14473614/nintendo-switch-online-service-price

cdj
02-23-2017, 09:11 AM

The launch day lineup gets even less impressive. Not that old games matter much, but they are such a Nintendo staple that this has to hurt a bit.

Rudy
02-23-2017, 01:09 PM
The launch lineup was one of the ugliest lineups I've ever seen. Especially since Zelda is available on the Wii U.

CLW
02-23-2017, 01:28 PM
FLOP - nintendo should just make/sell software on Sony/MS/PC

cdj
02-23-2017, 02:30 PM
It would also explain why online is free for the first few months....there's not much out there to get or use online for.

bdoughty
02-23-2017, 05:36 PM
It would also explain why online is free for the first few months....there's not much out there to get or use online for.

Pretty much the only game that would have serious online popularity early on is the Splatoon 2 limited time demo that everyone has access to in March and Mario Kart Deluxe 8 in April.

There is no doubt the launch is one of the weakest lineups in console history.

souljahbill
02-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Launch lineup ain't great but let's be real, everyone is getting Zelda. Maybe 1-2 Switch too. You don't need a 10 games if there's 1 game that stands above all others.

Rudy
02-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Launch lineup ain't great but let's be real, everyone is getting Zelda. Maybe 1-2 Switch too. You don't need a 10 games if there's 1 game that stands above all others.

Won't Zelda be very similar on the Wii U? If so, why upgrade to the Switch if that's the one game people really want?

bdoughty
02-23-2017, 11:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDy5_sDZUZg

Pretty similar. The switch runs at 900p where the WiiU is only 720p. There is no framerate difference and the big graphical change is the Switch is brighter with slightly better textures. I would imagine a big reason to upgrade is the ability to play it in mobile form.

souljahbill
02-24-2017, 05:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDy5_sDZUZg

Pretty similar. The switch runs at 900p where the WiiU is only 720p. There is no framerate difference and the big graphical change is the Switch is brighter with slightly better textures. I would imagine a big reason to upgrade is the ability to play it in mobile form.

That plus a lot of people won't be upgrading from the Wii U because they don't own it.

bdoughty
02-24-2017, 06:43 AM
That plus a lot of people won't be upgrading from the Wii U because they don't own it.

Exactly and a big reason for this is Nintendo never dropped the price of the WiiU and just discontinued making them. Even refurbished models still sell for $200+.

bdoughty
03-03-2017, 02:38 AM
Well I caved it and got one. Was at a Walmart in Kansas and there were only two preorders and eight people total buying one. Even the local Gamestop did not have a midnight release, which made the small Walmart turnout even stranger.

I got my Zelda and the reviews for it are off the freaking charts (http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/critic-reviews). So put me down for at least a couple hundred hours based on the reviews and planning on a couple playthroughs. Going to stick with the Joy Con and play off the TV. Will wait for that Pro controller to drop on Amazon because $70 is still too high.

bdoughty
03-03-2017, 06:44 AM
Setting it up was a breeze. Day one system patch only took a few seconds to download. I am going to primarily use this for the TV and the joy-con remotes last about 20 hours so they will last more than enough to wear they need to be recharged on the deck every so often. The UI is about as basic as you can make it. It's not much to look at but it gets you to where you want to go without having to navigate through a bunch of hoops. You have two background options (white is default) or black which I switched to because it was easier on the eyes.

Zelda has a day one patch and it takes a couple minutes. Only got 30 minutes with it but it looks absolutely fantastic due to the art design. Love that you have the option of aiming with the right stick, motion control or technically both with the bow if you leave it default to use motion control. The buttons are taking some getting used to. Nintendo has the main (A) button on the right and each of the other buttons are in a different place than the Xbox One controller. Fortunately it shows you what button and the location to perform all the tasks. You can switch the jump button but that is as far as it will let you swap things.

There is some rumbling that the left joy-con flakes out quite a bit but it has not been an issue for me. I have the system hiding behind the TV and more than 6ft away so it is not happening to everyone.

souljahbill
03-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Setting it up was a breeze. Day one system patch only took a few seconds to download. I am going to primarily use this for the TV and the joy-con remotes last about 20 hours so they will last more than enough to wear they need to be recharged on the deck every so often. The UI is about as basic as you can make it. It's not much to look at but it gets you to where you want to go without having to navigate through a bunch of hoops. You have two background options (white is default) or black which I switched to because it was easier on the eyes.

Zelda has a day one patch and it takes a couple minutes. Only got 30 minutes with it but it looks absolutely fantastic due to the art design. Love that you have the option of aiming with the right stick, motion control or technically both with the bow if you leave it default to use motion control. The buttons are taking some getting used to. Nintendo has the main (A) button on the right and each of the other buttons are in a different place than the Xbox One controller. Fortunately it shows you what button and the location to perform all the tasks. You can switch the jump button but that is as far as it will let you swap things.

There is some rumbling that the left joy-con flakes out quite a bit but it has not been an issue for me. I have the system hiding behind the TV and more than 6ft away so it is not happening to everyone.

I'll join the club one day. I want that Zelda in my life. I couldn't spare the coinage as I had to replace my 360 so I got an Xbox One. Announcing a new Animal Crossing will give me added motivation.

cdj
03-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Keep up the impressions, bdoughty.

The console intrigues me, but just can't get onboard until there's more games available and any wrinkles ironed out. Zelda sounds awesome though. If only Mario Kart or the new Mario game had been out at launch as well.

bdoughty
03-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Will do. I am pretty limited myself since Zelda will be the only game on the system I play until Mario Kart Deluxe in April, Splatoon 2 for the Summer and then Mario this Holiday. Hoping for a Mario Golf and Tennis announcement at E3.

Here is a picture of the HOME menu (same screen on portable and TV) that I was musing about.

http://i.imgur.com/ywsTzFU.jpg

Someone got paid to design that.

bdoughty
03-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Though I am sticking with playing Zelda Docked and on the TV, the handheld is the smoothest of the two experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqaTdflkNU

The day one patch for the game was supposed to help but most are not seeing it. I will try both docked and handheld tonight to compare for myself. It was noticeable in my limited time with the game yesterday but far from annoying. Of course I am playing with heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 on the XB1 so I think Bethesda has desensitized me to crappy under 30 frame rates.

bdoughty
03-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Announcing a new Animal Crossing will give me added motivation.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about some rumors. ;)

http://www.a90skid.com/rumor-animal-crossing-game-switch/

If those did not satisfy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRte0S2a_dA

cdj
03-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Is your dock scratching your screen?

bdoughty
03-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Nope but it has only been docked a couple times and now stays there. Have seen this brought up and can see this happening a lot for those using it as a handheld.

Also do not skin the Switch. Not something I have ever done but a bit of an oversight by Nintendo.

http://www.gamesradar.com/important-psa-dont-skin-your-nintendo-switch/

bdoughty
03-07-2017, 02:04 AM
Minor spoilers ahead for those who do not want anything ruined.

Just made it off the plateau with the Glider and so far the game is excellent. My only complaint is the weapons break too quickly. I have no problem with weapons breaking, it adds to the fighting and forces you to use different weapons. It just happens so quickly early on. The bows are not as bad and that is good for me because the best way to kill things is from a distance. Especially helpful taking out the guys who ride horses. Cooking is a big part of the game is it is required early on to deal with the one cold area on the plateau. Learning to make recipes and the making the most out of them is enjoyable. You can use up to 5 items and toss them into a pot to see what gets created. Early on you get red peppers and when you mix that with another ingredient you get cold resistance. The amount of peppers used greatly increases the duration. Some items give buffs to your stamina, attack power, defense, sneaking etc. It will be a big part of the game. The other big part of the game are the shrines, which there are over a hundred of. Pretty much mini dungeons that focus on manipulating time and objects and the use of bombs. You have to beat the first four (all on the plateau) to gain access to all but one of the tools used in shrines (bombs, magnetic, time distortion and manipulating water to make ice. Every time you beat a shrine you get an orb. Every Four Orbs you can take to the temple and get a full heart or stamina boost. Stamina is another big part of the game. You have limited stamina so when climbing or swimming you better have enough or it will be End Game. Once again cooking plays a factor as you can make foods that give you extra stamina.

Gaurdians in the game suck. They one shot kill and you have a limited time to get behind cover before you get lasered down. I did get to use a horse after knocking an enemy off. They have to be tamed and are hard to control until they start to like you.

Back to playing.

cdj
03-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Are those 1-2-Switch spoilers? ;)

bdoughty
03-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Are those 1-2-Switch spoilers? ;)

:D Only if they would have packed it in with the consoles. No way I am paying $50 for that.

bdoughty
03-07-2017, 05:06 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/07/switch-launch-sales-in-the-americas-are-nintendoas-best-ever?read

t added that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has also become the "biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe, even outselling Wii Sports in first weekend sales", adding that this success all came "in March – traditionally a quiet time for the games industry."

Great start but you can thank Zelda: Breath of Wild for that. The true test is months after when all the Nintendo fans have purchased their consoles.

bdoughty
03-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Testing the screen shot sharing feature. Currently can only be shared through FB or Twit.

Warning cartoony art style ahead, not safe for dude-bros. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/bGe1UwU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LIs0ouV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ekiwOTs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rSC6yTv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TDwEZd1.jpg

Rudy
03-09-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm not a fan of that cartoony art style but people seem to love the game.

bdoughty
03-09-2017, 08:39 PM
I'm not a fan of that cartoony art style but people seem to love the game.

98 Metacritic, #4 highest rated game of all time. So yeah, seems so. Love the Cel-shading art style myself and it started for me with Jet Set Radio on Dreamcast. Then Wind Waker and the Borderlands series, to name a few.

If people want more pictures, let me know and I will keep posting them throughout my adventure. I will post them in spoilers so Rudy do not have to go blind looking at the art direction.

Rudy
03-10-2017, 04:31 AM
Lol. No need for spoilers.

bdoughty
03-10-2017, 08:07 AM
More screens (Some Night Shots)

http://i.imgur.com/2ybQfxI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nMtMGH4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uUgIABm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gxu9hcY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ykmka1C.jpg

souljahbill
03-10-2017, 08:24 AM
98 Metacritic, #4 highest rated game of all time. So yeah, seems so. Love the Cel-shading art style myself and it started for me with Jet Set Radio on Dreamcast. Then Wind Waker and the Borderlands series, to name a few.

If people want more pictures, let me know and I will keep posting them throughout my adventure. I will post them in spoilers so Rudy do not have to go blind looking at the art direction.

I'm with you, B. A realistic art style ages rapidly with technology but colorful artwork is timeless. It's why SD Windwaker is still pretty compared to SD Twilight Princess. Keep showing pics. I'll definitely get a Switch eventually and this is the 1st game that I want to get.

bdoughty
03-10-2017, 09:51 AM
One thing that I am finding a challenge in is going back and forth between the Joy-Con and the Xbox Controller. It's like gong back to the old DUKE controller on the original Xbox after a long playthrough of Zelda. The main mutton is the other issue. Sony and Xbox use the bottom one and Nintendo keeps sticking to the right button, which is fine but give the option to customize the control layout in all games. EA was a perfect example when FIFA started getting good again and made a custom controller configuration that was based off the default PES layout.

morsdraconis
03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
One thing that I am finding a challenge in is going back and forth between the Joy-Con and the Xbox Controller. It's like gong back to the old DUKE controller on the original Xbox after a long playthrough of Zelda. The main mutton is the other issue. Sony and Xbox use the bottom one and Nintendo keeps sticking to the right button, which is fine but give the option to customize the control layout in all games. EA was a perfect example when FIFA started getting good again and made a custom controller configuration that was based off the default PES layout.

It's US Sony's fault. They changed the confirmation button from O to X during the PS1 and it's become the norm in the US when it's the opposite in the country of origin for both the PS4 and all Nintendo products.

bdoughty
03-10-2017, 06:35 PM
It was not the fault of US Sony, their popularity just helped push what Sega had been doing for years with A before B. The Dreamcast had (A) the bottom button/main button in every region. Nintendo is as stubborn a company as you will find. Show some love for the US/UK/EU as we make up the largest buying market for video games.

Also Sony allows the PS4 owner, no matter the country, to decide what they prefer.

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2015/03/ps4_firmware_update_250_will_let_you_use_circle_to _confirm/attachment/0/original.jpg

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2015/03/so_how_does_dualshock_4_button_remapping_work_on_p s4/attachment/0/original.jpg

bdoughty
03-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Did a lot of traveling around the Southern part of the map and then headed up North for one of the mini-quests, so I can start getting Ancient Armor. Pro Tip: When it rains be sure and unequip any weapons that conduct electricity. In certain areas you get lightning with rain. Game over if it hits you and it did me. The little things... Training my horse because they ride like Roach from Witcher 3 when you first tame one enough to mount it and I stop by an apple tree to gather some to make meals. I used and axe to chop the tree down and there were five apples on the ground. Horse casually walks over and eats one, giving me a boost in our training (horse kinda glows pink when he is happy with you).

I have put in 30-40 hours, barely touched most regions the map and 7 of the 100+ shrines. So many things to see and do, with all the little nuances along the way. Tons of puzzles, outside of the Shrines, including hidden ones all over the world (900 to be exact) finding Koroks which give you seeds to upgrade certain inventory slots. Sometimes they are hidden under a rock or you have to put a missing piece of the puzzle in place. Once I simply saw a pool of water and jumped in and found one. The magic effects are just as enjoyable when it comes to the different ways this game can be played (bombs, freezing water, magnetic, kinetic/stopping time) they all play parts in finding treasure and other things outside the shrines. Magnesis is the real blast. If there are a camp of enemies and you spot a metallic create, select Magnesis and you can start swinging the crate around killing enemies. Drop it from a high point and it breaks and gives you treasure of some sort, which saves your weapons from having to smash it.

So many little things. That is where the time sink is at. You look at the area and ponder the possibilities instead of just going to a point on the map. Also there is little to no hand holding. Most of the Side Missions and even some of the Main Missions are where they give you a task and tell you a location but unless you have discovered that area/place you are left to find it for yourself. Even tougher if you have not unlocked the tower for that region, which gives you a breakdown of the terrain and location names but nothing else. BOTW gives you the map and a bunch of pointer options to create your own course. What made me laugh was how when you first get off the plateau the top Main Mission is simply defeat FINAL BOSS. You can find FINAL BOSS off the plateau and be there in little to no time. Of course they give you an alternate main quest to go to a place where you will not die a thousand times before throwing your controller out the window. They are saying the world is yours, fight the boss whenever you seem fit. It is easily my favorite open world game by a long shot and I have barely scratched the surface.

So to the pictures. Beach, Forrest, Heavy Rain, a House I bought and upgraded and a mini-boss (there are a few different types and they can show up anywhere).

http://i.imgur.com/KYjtUyx.jpg http://i.imgur.com/euZHNeT.jpg http://i.imgur.com/0YlyS0g.jpg http://i.imgur.com/e6hPH2H.jpg http://i.imgur.com/UcbK8ic.jpg http://i.imgur.com/wPqHUE3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Pny9xUH.jpg http://i.imgur.com/5yMPGwy.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PEQq1WO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Aks4Agm.jpg

bdoughty
03-11-2017, 09:37 PM
This guys video highlights some of the crazy stuff you can do with your powers and of course, a chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c

bdoughty
03-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Much adventure the past two days. Found my first diamond, finished the first "Dungeon" and killed the man-lion hybrid Lynel. Lynel's suck ass. I think I would rather fight Guardians. Now this might be a spoiler but to save anyone from making the mistake I did that had me firing up a new game about 10 hours into the first run DO NOT SELL ANYTHING THAT SAYS ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is an item that you can use with a bow to one shot Guardians if you hit them in a certain location and Lynel but they are not easy to come by early. I still sneak away when I see a Lynel roaming if I do not have this item on me. Now I am playing in the Snowy Mountains. Gotta hunt, hunt, hunt, because the fastest way making rupees is to sell the meat once you cook it.

Now to the screens.

http://i.imgur.com/1aiRU7D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Tyaygrt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZrkuVdK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rBzbrRf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dcSXNpw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bHCyfbS.jpg

----------

http://i.imgur.com/YwSSyCI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wrtWP6p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5X5ptPV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cyth7E0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EulrGLj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7Y8pyRH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oCPn8OS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a4IcMPA.jpg

bdoughty
03-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Link in Drag (because it was required), long glide to open a tower, the desert, the mountains and a loading screen which shows your stats each time (hearts, stamina, orbs on hand, shrines completed, korok seeds gathered, rupees and the elephant is one dungeon cleared. Now up to 30+ korok seeds out of 900 available. So many places to investigate.

To the pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/J6385r9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PKqYXmy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KeHIIPy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IvviSmn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JSBnWcN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0oU82wv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DQdbuY0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a4XyljT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3hGLbYA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wMmjVzX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P49yaB4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wquXbaX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qDZNPKC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jf1xVp6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/koduvyG.jpg

bdoughty
03-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Random screens

http://i.imgur.com/GIkzApV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rGCEt0Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qG7Azil.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YxBzdi7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sHNEw5G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2ICvsbE.jpg

bdoughty
03-17-2017, 07:25 AM
More random stuff. I just unlocked the whole map by reaching each tower. It only gives you the terrain and named areas. I doubt I have touched 50% of the locations and this is well over 50 hours into it. To be fair I am doing a bunch of resource gathering and upgrading armor.

http://i.imgur.com/U8aTIpW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X7p1Bp9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4f4SSK7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QcPGfGY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5YAtAt5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PwYxPV6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QnCsp2g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/m6Og8Wl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3AIlU6a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/18qoTSQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7tThILE.jpg

bdoughty
03-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Dropped my JoyCon on the ground and the left analog stick is now broken, as you are not able to click down on it. Still usable but the Left Click is used to crouch in Zelda and it is a pretty necessary for numerous things. Somehow Walmart had still had 2 of the Pro Controllers in stick. Controller feels good, almost the same weight as the Xbox One and same stick positions. It has all the rumbles and motions controls of the JoyCon without the hand cramping. A 40 hour battery life is also really nice (double the JoyCon) and included was a USB-C to A cable that you can plug in from the back of the deck and easily recharge when needed.

JBHuskers
03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
So I looked at upcoming games and between now and Christmas there are two games I only care about remotely. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is a port and Mario which won't be out til the end of the year. "Maybe" at tax time next year I'll consider, but right now, there just isn't a need for me to get it.

bdoughty
04-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Just got a patch that fixed most of the framerate issues when played docked. Still a stutter here and there but much better so far.

bdoughty
04-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Mario Kart Deluxe details and videos popping up today.

copied this from Gaf

So firstly it obviously looks nicer, runs nicer, is 1080p as opposed to 720p, has all the DLC from the WiiU game included, etc. Also all courses, characters, etc., are unlocked from the beginning now.

New Characters:
-Inkling Boy (Splatoon)
-Inkling Girl (Splatoon)
-King Boo
-Dry Bones
-Bowser Jr.
-Gold Mario

There is new Battle Modes, these are the new modes:
-Renegade Roundup: You try to capture and put members from one team into jail, other team must free their members and stay uncaught before time runs out.
-Balloon Battle: Balloon-Popping survival and point earning mode.
-Bob-omb Blast: Bomb-omb battle madness.
-Coin Runners: Collect the most coins to win.
-Shine Thief: Try to collect and be the one holding the Shine when the timer on it hits zero.

These are the Battle Mode stages known right now, though I think this new info dump included more? Not certain.

New Courses:
-Urchin Underpass
-Battle Stadium

Returning Courses:
-GCN Luigi’s Mansion
-SNES Battle Course 1

There's three new vehicles, two of which are Splatoon-themed.

There's a new "Smart Steering" mode for novice's, it has a few drawbacks but is made to be more accessible by newcomers.

New Amiibo costumes for the Mii.

200cc race class and now fully implemented with the game's modes (IE trial and such)

You can now break while drifting.

8-player local multiplayer, and 12-player online multiplayer.

Palette swaps for Yoshi and Shy Guy for those who bought both DLC packs on Wii U.

Videos (mostly Spanish, guess they were the first to post after the embargo)

https://www.gamereactor.es/avances/390803/12+cosas+que+%28quiza%29+no+sabias+de+Mario+Kart+8 +Deluxe/

More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-4m3f9mxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Np1vPe2do&t=30s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDMVo_69dtc

bdoughty
04-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Just finished Hyrule Castle and completed the story. My favorite game of all time, not even close. Still have 50 shrines to find (and I will complete this) and 800 Korok seeds (not a chance in hell). Have some unfound locations, side quests to finish and then I will set this one down until the DLC hits this summer. Typical of a Zelda game there is no post-final-boss gameplay. It sets you back at the boss with an asterisk by the save showing you have beaten it. You can then find all the crap you missed and the map screen shows a completion rate. I am at 29%, which is actually really good considering the Korok Seeds make up 72% of the 100% completion rating.

The music.. Any Zelda fan knows what I mean. There are just places you hate to leave because you the music is so damn good.

My Top 3

Wind Waker Fans will remember this. Dragon Roost Island Remix. There is a day and night version for each village. Just another small example of the effort put into this game.

Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFuejFzgTs

Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snaMw1-nfzI

From one of the Divine Beasts (It speeds up as you progress through the beast) as do all the music in the beasts. Gets the old blood pumping.

Start music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RSSSu7ruJc

Ready for the mini boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubRpGHQlqU

Hyrule Castle (Plays when you get inside certain parts of the castle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=choUV4B6ylE

steelerfan
01-17-2018, 06:51 PM
I'll just leave this right here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/16900496/nintendo-switch-labo-cardboard-diy-accessories-announced-price-release-date

souljahbill
01-18-2018, 08:55 AM
I'll just leave this right here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/16900496/nintendo-switch-labo-cardboard-diy-accessories-announced-price-release-date

I watched the web go nuts over this last night. If I were still 8 or had kids, I’d be interested. Since neither of those situations apply to me, I’m passing but I admire the concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cdj
01-19-2018, 08:02 AM
That tech does look really cool and different, I'll say that. Got to give Nintendo credit for thinking outside the box.

souljahbill
01-19-2018, 08:38 AM
That tech does look really cool and different, I'll say that. Got to give Nintendo credit for thinking outside the box.

Pun intended?

Rudy
01-19-2018, 12:07 PM
That was a good one. Just say it was intended Chris!

jaymo76
01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
I watched the web go nuts over this last night. If I were still 8 or had kids, I’d be interested. Since neither of those situations apply to me, I’m passing but I admire the concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Showed my kids the trailer videos... they went crazy! They're all under the age of ten though so...