PDA

View Full Version : NPD Sales Results - November 2014: Xbox One is number One

bdoughty
12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Overall:

Overall retail sales are down 11% year over year.

Overall hardware sales are down 23% year over year.

Overall retail software sales are down 2% year over year.

Software:

1.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
2.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
3.) Super Smash Bros. (NWU, 3DS)
4.) Madden NFL 15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
5.) Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
6.) Far Cry 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
7.) Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
8.) NBA 2K15 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
9.) Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4, XBO, PC)
10.) Halo: The Master Chief Collection (XBO)

Notes:
-Smash Wii U: 710K (retail + digital)
-Pokemon ORAS: 1.5M (retail + digital)
-Smash 3DS LTD: 1.5M (retail + digital)
-Overall Wii U software is up 90% and overall 3DS software is up 40% year over year.

Hardware:

Xbox One: Best selling console.
Wii U: 220K * 1.1 (10% increase) = 242K

Notes:
-"November set a new record for sales of Xbox One, and Xbox One was the best-selling console in the US and UK." - Microsoft
-"Cumulative PS4 & Xbox One sales are now almost 80 percent higher than the combined total of PS3 and Xbox 360 sales after 13 months..." - NPD
-"November was also a strong month for Nintendo on the console side, as sales of Wii U hardware and software increased by more than 10 percent and more than 90 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013." - Nintendo
-The only thing Nintendo did not explicitly note as going up between their overall software and hardware was Nintendo 3DS hardware. Given they mentioned the Wii U going up by 10%, it's probably a safe bet that it's flat or down.
-"Sales of amiibo are approximately equal to sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U so far, while Link, Mario and Pikachu (in that order) have been the best-selling figures to date."

Other Info:

Originally Posted by MS PR

“We are committed to making Xbox the best place to play, with this year’s best games, the best community of gamers to play with, and terrific value. And we are amazed by the excitement Xbox fans have shown to start off this holiday. November set a new record for sales of Xbox One, and Xbox One was the best-selling console in the US and UK.* Response to the holiday lineup of games on Xbox One was incredible, with Xbox One fans buying more games in November in the U.S. than any other gen eight platform and enjoying over 357 million hours of gameplay globally. In fact, more fans logged into Xbox Live across Xbox One and Xbox 360, and enjoyed more entertainment, than any other month in the history of Xbox. We love to see the excitement from our fans and are grateful for their passion, support and contributions to the Xbox community.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing.

Originally Posted by Nintendo PR via vinnygambini

Dec. 11, 2014

Overall sales of Nintendo 3DS software in November increased by more than 40 percent over the same month in 2013, thanks in part to three huge games:

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire: The next great Pokémon adventures for Nintendo 3DS launched on Nov. 21 and have already sold nearly 1.5 million combined physical and digital units in the U.S. alone.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: The best-selling individual portable game in the U.S. so far in 2014, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS has sold more than 1.5 million physical and digital units in the U.S. since it launched on Oct. 3.

November was also a strong month for Nintendo on the console side, as sales of Wii U hardware and software increased by more than 10 percent and more than 90 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013. In fact, the week of Nov. 23 was the biggest single week of Wii U hardware sales since the system launched in November 2012. Other Wii U highlights for the month include:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U has sold nearly 710,000 combined units since launching on Nov. 21. With a current Metacritic score of 92, the latest iteration in Nintendo’s venerable fighting franchise is one of the best-reviewed games in the current generation of systems.

Nov. 21 also saw the arrival of amiibo, Nintendo’s new platform where gaming’s most recognizable characters can be used in different ways in many compatible games. Sales of amiibo are approximately equal to sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U so far, while Link, Mario and Pikachu (in that order) have been the best-selling figures to date.

bdoughty
12-11-2014, 07:40 PM
CLW reacts to NPD news

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/MrKitshen/Wrestling/kido_zpsb90fe5c1.gif

cdj
12-11-2014, 07:47 PM
So....did Dragon Age Inquisition not fare so well? Saw some rumblings that it may not have.

Also, some rumors the margin between XB1 & PS4 was very small (10K)? Still, a win is a win.

I OU a Beatn
12-11-2014, 07:53 PM
The GAF thread is absolutely pure gold. Supposed insider Cboat hopped in on the first page and said the gap was only "7-10k" between the two, which got all the fan boys "all those aggressive price cuts and bundles and it still barely outsold the PS4...Microsoft is done." After 20+ pages of that, confirmation came that the gap is MUCH bigger (appears to be a 300k+ gap according to an unlabeled chart of a KNOWN insider), and now everyone has flipped around to Sony being in trouble. :D

I hope these console warriors never die out. They're way too funny.

bdoughty
12-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Just glad to see both consoles performing well and getting to poke the stick at CLW to boot.

Dragon Age came out the same day as Far Cry 4 and GTA 4. That probably had some effect on their sales. Amazon is currently selling it for $39.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Inquisition-PlayStation-4/dp/B00JUFT1F6/ref=sr_1_2_twi_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1418349156&sr=1-2&keywords=dragon+age+inquisition).

bdoughty
12-11-2014, 07:59 PM
The GAF thread is absolutely pure gold. Supposed insider Cboat hopped in on the first page and said the gap was only "7-10k" between the two, which got all the fan boys "all those aggressive price cuts and bundles and it still barely outsold the PS4...Microsoft is done." After 20+ pages of that, confirmation came that the gap is MUCH bigger (appears to be a 300k+ gap according to an unlabeled chart of a KNOWN insider), and now everyone has flipped around to Sony being in trouble. :D

I hope these console warriors never die out. They're way too funny.

I would pay for a subscription to GAF. It brings me so many hours of enjoyment on both the gaming and off topic side. Liberals and Sony Zealots as far as the eye can see.

Not to mention the glorious gifs.

http://i.imgur.com/7gVaTWo.gif

I OU a Beatn
12-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Just glad to see both consoles performing well and getting to poke the stick at CLW to boot.

Dragon Age came out the same day as Far Cry 4 and GTA 4. That probably had some effect on their sales.

Don't forget the massive slap in the face that was Dragon Age 2. I'm guessing a lot of people were waiting to see how it fairs before hopping in.

I OU a Beatn
12-11-2014, 08:08 PM
That thread is absolutely on fire.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FavorableLiveBarnswallow.gif

:D:D:D

bdoughty
12-11-2014, 08:12 PM
:D Yeah I a trying to catch up but it is moving so fast.

bdoughty
12-11-2014, 08:27 PM
crazy buttocks on a train
Banned
(Today, 12:39 AM)

I OU a Beatn
12-11-2014, 08:38 PM
crazy buttocks on a train
Banned
(Today, 12:39 AM)

http://a.pomf.se/cpuwsw.gif

Rudy
12-12-2014, 05:15 AM
I find it ironic that Destiny has deals with Sony and yet was selling more on the XBox One. Then Assassin's Creed has deals with MS and is selling more games on the PS4. How is that possible - especially with the XBox One Creed bundles?

I think price matters a lot for the Christmas season and if the XBox One has better prices and bundles then it will win. I'd love to see the Canadian numbers where XBox One is a lot cheaper since they never boosted their price to reflect the Canadian dollar unlike Sony.

CLW
12-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Meh $50 cheaper is all most consumers see. Most do not know they are buying the much less powerful console. Once MS did that they should have won the month. If not then XB1 was definitely never going to recover. I suspect Sony will drop their price $50 after the holidays and then continue to dominate sales.

bdoughty
12-12-2014, 07:05 AM
I find it ironic that Destiny has deals with Sony and yet was selling more on the XBox One. Then Assassin's Creed has deals with MS and is selling more games on the PS4. How is that possible - especially with the XBox One Creed bundles?

I think price matters a lot for the Christmas season and if the XBox One has better prices and bundles then it will win. I'd love to see the Canadian numbers where XBox One is a lot cheaper since they never boosted their price to reflect the Canadian dollar unlike Sony.

NPD covers Canada but rarely releases sales figures. Pretty sure they do not cover all territories in Canada, so that could be why. The Big 3, the ones I always see posted at GAF are US, UK and Japan.

Destiny is made by Bungie so I can understand the sales doing well on the XB1. You figure in all the Halo fans that are still on the system and even the 360 and they played their games that lasted almost two console generations. As for Assassins Creed, Sony does have a pretty descent lead in Hardware sales in the US. More people to sell to. This was the first month that XB1 won since both systems launched. Far Cry 4 sold the best on the PS4 so it would be really hard to say that FPS simply do better on the Xbox systems.

bdoughty
12-12-2014, 07:21 AM
I suspect Sony will drop their price $50 after the holidays and then continue to dominate sales.

Sony has been offering a free game with the system for some time now ($65 value). Still available when I checked Amazon and Gamestop. If people are buying on price then they would have to drop the price of the system $50 and still give out a free game. Will Sony do that? Will MS keep the console bundles at $349 after the holidays?

bdoughty
12-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Count me as one for the December NPD with my purchase of Dragon Age Inquisition. I have never played a Bioware game, Mass Effect or Dragon Age, so it should be interesting at the very least. $39.99 price was too hard to pass up.

JBHuskers
12-12-2014, 10:04 AM
So....did Dragon Age Inquisition not fare so well? Saw some rumblings that it may not have.

Also, some rumors the margin between XB1 & PS4 was very small (10K)? Still, a win is a win.

It wasn't released until the 18th, so maybe it's first official charting will be December?

bdoughty
12-12-2014, 10:09 AM
It wasn't released until the 18th, so maybe it's first official charting will be December?

Far Cry 4 and GTA V were released on the same day. Any game that released in November, even the last week, are charted.

JBHuskers
12-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Hmmm. That's strange. The game is amazing too.

Using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S5 for shats & gaggles.

bdoughty
12-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I will find out next week. Watched a few gameplay videos and looks a bit like Skyrim meets Diablo 3. Going to go female rogue elf and have me another lesbionic relationship.

CLW
12-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Sony has been offering a free game with the system for some time now ($65 value). Still available when I checked Amazon and Gamestop. If people are buying on price then they would have to drop the price of the system $50 and still give out a free game. Will Sony do that? Will MS keep the console bundles at $349 after the holidays?

"Temporary" Price drops are NEVER temporary (unless its a Black Friday only type special) MS will not be able to successfully raise the now standard price for the XB1 (they will be able to drop the free game which is considered a holiday special).

Sony will then simply drop the price down to $349 with no free game with the exception of some new release bundles such as 1886; UC4; etc...

I OU a Beatn
12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Meh $50 cheaper is all most consumers see. Most do not know they are buying the much less powerful console. Once MS did that they should have won the month. If not then XB1 was definitely never going to recover. I suspect Sony will drop their price $50 after the holidays and then continue to dominate sales.

And they will still lose in sales to PS4 in November and December.

Sony should respond with some sort of cute add noting it must be inferior with 2 price drops in just over a year.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?7717-Xbox-One-Questions-amp-General-Comments-on-Console&p=1734961842&viewfull=1#post1734961842

Just sayin'. People don't care which is more powerful. Also, Sony was never dominating sales in the US, which is why with all the bad rep Microsoft managed to gather for itself, it was still at worst only about 1 million behind the PS4.

As I've said numerous times before, it's only a matter of time before MS overtakes the US. They'll lose handily worldwide, though. It's going to be a carbon copy of last gen, except this time around people aren't being suckered into buying a massively underpowered past gen console parading around with the same price as true current consoles.

Finally, I agree, no way the price goes back up. That would be suicide. I, however, don't see Sony dropping the price until maybe after E3. Even though they lost by 400k, they still sold a very solid number of consoles. It's not always MS vs Sony. A lot of their problem was that they only had one "major" exclusive, and that major exclusive massively bombed (as it should, quit cranking out fucking LBP, Sony).

jaymo76
12-12-2014, 03:58 PM
As a person who owns a PS4 I must say I am very impressed with the price packages xbox is putting together, especially the Assassins Creed bundle... two games for $399. In Canada Sony jacked the price UP on PS4 to $449. I think Microsoft has learned some valuable lessons with their marketing dept.

Rudy
12-12-2014, 05:56 PM
I am interested in the Dragon Age game but I've never played a RPG before or even the Mass Effect series. I looks cool but just not sure. Getting Mordor for Christmas and will play that first. Guys on OS seem to love it but it is a massive time investment. over 100 hours to finish.

JBHuskers
12-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Yeah lots of side quests and such, but it makes the investment worth the price.

Using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S5 for shats & gaggles.

souljahbill
12-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Just mentioning Mass Effect has me contemplating another play through and I've beaten all 3 games double-digit times.