PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Next Season (2015)

gschwendt
10-15-2014, 10:53 AM
We're obviously at the stage where we're looking towards the next season. With me taking over and with the next season starting soon, I wanted to open up discussion on a few topics.

Suggestions for slider changes... we need changes, give me your feedback
Do we limit recruiting next season? Currently the poll leads 3-1 but only Escobar, myself, marcotte14, & skipwondah33 have voted. At this point, we would limit to only 4-star recruits... deadline to vote is before preseason starts.
Is everyone returning for next season? I assume everyone that's active plans to continue but how about Eric & Razor? I'll reach out them specifically but now is the time to make it known that you don't plan to return.
With the question of everyone returning, do we make any conference changes? Certainly UCLA & Auburn will be swapped out to other conferences... other than that, do we shuffle conferences up? We're at 10 right now... do we go shift down to 5 users in a conference giving us 4 UvU games each season?

Any other topics you want to discuss, by all means, let's hear it. Everyone that has been in an OD I ran before should know that I'm very open to discussion... I'll make decisions if no one else will but otherwise I'm just here to hit the advance button.

skipwondah33
10-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Tackling man lol. I don't want them all but the rate people bounce off and get trounced..even in user vs user games is frustrating. I know our guys are bad but I have guys with 70-75+ tackle rating going against guys with 50-60 break tackle/trucking...who are destroying my guys multiple at a time.

Hell your WR I think on that screen broke what 5-6 tackles alone?

Coverage sucks but that's because all of my players suck at it..even the good ones lol. Hopefully we will become better at it with better players.

Just looking forward to next season's players

gschwendt
10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
It looks like both Eric & Razor will remain with us, though both will stay on auto for the time-being. With that in mind, I say we go to two conferences of 5 User teams (each conference with 1 auto). Let me know any objections or thoughts and if you have a suggestion on how to break the conferences up.

JBHuskers
10-15-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm good with limiting to :4star: for two more years then open it up.

I'm back next season and up for whatever. I wouldn't mind less user games as it has been tough lately to get with people's work schedules.

marcotte14
10-15-2014, 05:30 PM
I still think it is way too easy to pass on the cpu, or move the ball in general. I think tackling is ok, due to the fact of how bad our teams are, I've noticed a difference from just last year with that. I know myself and a couple other teams are ranked and 1 team is undefeated, IMO of how bad are teams are, that shouldn't happen, I mean this is a death Penalty OD and we potentially have a team playing the BCS NC game in the 2nd year.

IMO I also think that we should keep the conferences the same to keep the realism of CFB, but take out UCLA and Auburn and bring back the best PAC12 and SEC team that we took out in the first place. (I think its Cal and Texas A&M)

skipwondah33
10-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I have guys with 70+ tackling though. Every player they attempt to tackle shouldn't instantly knock them over like a bowling pin. You would everyone who carries the ball is 300+ lbs and running full speed.

That shouldn't happen 90% of the time and especially shouldn't happen to 3-4 players all at once like I've had happen multiple times. Said player will take hand off and get 3 steps. .. lower his shoulder and 3 guys instantly hit the ground like a semi truck hit them....meanwhile losing no momentum and getting faster.

In regards to passing. I think it's easy with certain plays. Not much seems to work against the CPU other than a handful of plays...they play the Read Option stupidly. Then again though they defend other plays like my team is moving in quick sand most of the time. Will have lane or outside all of sudden 3 players are free before I even get out of back field

JeffHCross
10-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Slider changes: Obviously I'm content with the current sliders. I do agree with marcotte that this level of success probably shouldn't happen, so I'd be good with finding more difficult sliders. For example, I wonder how far these current sliders are from what you guys were using pre-reboot. Obviously those sliders were designed to give better contests at the Powerhouse level, so I wonder how they would scale to our level of teams. We should be struggling more than we are (though, as skip mentioned this week, momentum is everything in this game). I'd be interested in looking at some sliders that others have used, though I don't want to make massive, sweeping changes just for the sake of changes.

We now know that penalty sliders are a huge part of gameplay, even though that makes practically no sense. I think that should be one of the first places we look to change right now.

Recruiting: I voted in the poll to stay at :4star:. I had proposed a +2 rule, but Snoop is the only one that will be :3star: next year, so close enough.

Conferences: I agree that the conferences deserve re-balancing (especially with 2 members of the SEC/Pac being on Auto for most of the season). However, JB's right that it's getting harder and harder to schedule. Snoop and I got lucky this week. I'd like 5-user conferences, but realize that it would slow us down. You guys have been playing this game for a year solid, so maybe you wouldn't mind slowing down ... I'm just getting back into the swing of things, so I want to go fast-fast-fast :D

I have guys with 70+ tackling though. Every player they attempt to tackle shouldn't instantly knock them over like a bowling pin.And the average Georgia running back has 84 BTK, 80 TRK, and 81 ELU. I don't know which of those go into calculating a broken tackle (I think BTK is only used for simulations), but overall that kind of rating difference is going to mean, on average, you'll probably miss a tackle. The best tackler on my current roster has 75 TAK. The worst LB on Ohio State's default roster (a 69 OVR Freshman) has 75 TAK. No other player at LB for OSU has below 78, and most are 80 and above. Most of Ohio State's safeties are above 75.

This is like playing Madden with a bunch of 7th round draft picks. Or the Browns. Or the Raiders. Or putting cornerback-level tacklers at every position :D We should struggle. The problem is that the game is, and always has been, an all or nothing programmed game. Either you get your ass run over, or you make the tackle. It doesn't know there should be a middle ground that isn't remotely consistent.

skipwondah33
10-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Not just the tackling but the Physics and how the actions are displayed. I can be running close to full speed to someone not moving at all but once they catch the ball and turn I will get planted into the ground like they were moving at full speed. It's random. You would think hitting someone before they truly got started sort a speak would be a good thing. In fact though doing that results in you being trucked and said player gaining speed after trucking you.

My 3 starting LB's have 77, 77 and 75 tackle ratings. Yet are destroyed time and time again by QB's, RB's and TE's...even WR's. I'm talking even guys rated around my level (Auburn, Georgia State). If you check the 9:49 (2nd quarter in the game) mark of my game with G, that is how I give up alot of TD's..surprised he didn't score on that I honestly figured he was going to after shaking off first 2 tackles. CPU would have but they would have gotten faster each broken tackle. Anderson has very low BTK, Elusive and Trucking ratings.

Now I know I completely whiff on alot of tackles because I'll never get use to the twitchy movement ability likely, but ones where I come into contact with the ball carrier with the momentum and angle you would think it's my 4-yr old son trying to tackle these guys the way they are thrown about.

We can put up hundreds of yards through the air, run Options all day that baffle the CPU and give the QB boatloads of room (see Mosley's numbers), break records with these crappy teams...but aren't expected to be able to Tackle with them?

It's not even just the way are teams are rated. The CPU breaks alot of tackles period even when you have an All-American team I've found.

If my guys can tackle half as well as the Georgia game I'd be tickled :D. Usually when I play I expect the CPU to shrug off the tackle, so I dive then immediately try to change players so I can help out after the broken tackle. Didn't need to do that but a few times which were unsuccessful as well.

JeffHCross
10-16-2014, 10:34 AM
We can put up hundreds of yards through the air, run Options all day that baffle the CPU and give the QB boatloads of room (see Mosley's numbers), break records with these crappy teams...but aren't expected to be able to Tackle with them?No, honestly, we shouldn't be able to do any of it :D

skipwondah33
10-16-2014, 10:59 AM
:D

Like the way the game feels and plays with the team being crappy. Just want to be able to tackle better in instances where a tackle should happen. Sometimes it feels like I'm going against Christian Okoye in Tecmo Bowl. One of my favorite players growing up

http://youtu.be/T_ddO5ENtus

Other than that I don't know much about sliders to be suggesting changes. I'm good with whatever you guys think. I do agree with the conference changes though.

gschwendt
10-16-2014, 02:14 PM
I have a SS with 95TKL and two LBs with ~85TKL and they even get bounced off of poor running QBs & WRs. Tackling certainly needs to be adjusted... whether that's HUM Tackle, HUM Run Defense (isn't that still a thing) or CPU RB Ability. That said, I agree that we at the same time need to make some things more difficult... it will be hard to balance it out for everyone but I'll work on creating some decent sliders this weekend.

JeffHCross
10-17-2014, 12:24 PM
G, at the very least, something's screwy with the CPU conferences. Neither Louisville (ACC) nor Minnesota (CUSA) played any conference games.

psusnoop
10-17-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm back.

I thinks tougher set of sliders are needed at this point.

Tackling, cpu run tackle, offensive run block lowered. Cpu pass accuracy dropped 5, cpu we catch dropped 5, human tackle up 10-15, human pass Acc lowered 5, human run block lowered 5-10.

Something we we shoot for 7-9 wins next two seasons. This should not be as easy as it seems to be.

gschwendt
10-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Here are the current settings & sliders. I have a set that I'm in the process of tweaking but wanted to paste these to get some discussion.

Settings

CPU Offensive Skill

Heisman

CPU Defensive Skill

Heisman

User vs User Skill

Heisman

Quarter Length

8 Minutes

Game Speed

Normal

Speed Threshold

Home Field Advantage

On

Ice the Kicker

Off

Penalties

Offsides

False Start

Holding

Facemask

Offensive Pass Interference

Defensive Pass Interference

KR/PR Interference

Clipping

Intentional Grounding

Roughing the Passer

Roughing the Kicker

Sliders

Slider
HUM
CPU

QB Accuracy

Pass Blocking

WR Catching

RB Ability

Run Blocking

Pass Coverage

Interceptions

Rush Defense

Tackling

FG Power

FG Accuracy

Punt Power

Punt Accuracy

Kickoff Power

JeffHCross
10-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Ice the kicker is off? That explains some things.

gschwendt
10-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Ice the kicker is off? That explains some things.

Yeah, first time noticing that myself. No reason for it to be off IMO.

skipwondah33
10-18-2014, 07:20 PM
I knew it was off since start of last season.

For CPU's rush D to be at 90 it sure does suck against Read Option if that's what we all are using. Against I-Form and the like it's every bit of that slider number.

A 5 explains ours though and those dump truck sized holes lol...and the speed at which the players struggle to move vs CPU.

JeffHCross
10-18-2014, 07:25 PM
I don't think there's any slider that would suddenly defend the Read Option accurately.

gschwendt
10-18-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't think there's any slider that would suddenly defend the Read Option accurately.
Correct... read option defense sucks no matter what. As a human, you can do a few things when you know it's coming, otherwise you're at the mercy of your player's Play Recognition rating... and even that has to be higher 90s to be effective.

JeffHCross
10-18-2014, 07:40 PM
One thing I definitely wouldn't touch is the speed threshold. Bama burned me three times because their WRs must have had a speed advantage. Wouldn't want to take that away.

gschwendt
10-18-2014, 07:42 PM
One thing I definitely wouldn't touch is the speed threshold. Bama burned me three times because their WRs must have had a speed advantage. Wouldn't want to take that away.
Yeah... I have no plans to change that. One thing I am thinking about changing is the Game Speed, possibly all the way to Very Fast. By giving us less reaction time, it increases the CPU's chances.

skipwondah33
10-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Even my "fast" guys run slow when trying to get out of backfield. Like they are running in sand and the DE out of a cannon.

But yeah the speed threshold is nice I suppose. That probably has more to do with blocking and their run defense.

skipwondah33
10-18-2014, 07:45 PM
I'd like it at Normal still. This game already moves at warp speed I'm terms of the player movement

Our reaction is slow IMO. Well when the WR breaks and our defenders are still 10 yards behind by the time we click on I can't seem to get anywhere near the WR. It's like they find out late "oh he ran the other way"

JeffHCross
10-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Even my "fast" guys run slow when trying to get out of backfield. Like they are running in sand and the DE out of a cannon.How's their ACC or AGI ratings? Those make a much bigger difference now.

psusnoop
10-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah... I have no plans to change that. One thing I am thinking about changing is the Game Speed, possibly all the way to Very Fast. By giving us less reaction time, it increases the CPU's chances.

I wouldn't mind trying it at the very least.

Sometimes while on offense I feel I can create yards from my anticipation which I don't think the cpu has the same chance from. With a change like this I believe it would equal out a bit more.

JBHuskers
10-18-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm down with it.

Using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S5 for shats & gaggles.

skipwondah33
10-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't mind trying it at the very least.

Sometimes while on offense I feel I can create yards from my anticipation which I don't think the cpu has the same chance from. With a change like this I believe it would equal out a bit more.well that too may be because their pass coverage is at a 5 or however low it is.

Heisman default sliders I didn't notice being able to do that.

My starting RB has decent numbers. Just the CPU's immaculate run defense and our bad blocking I guess

marcotte14
10-19-2014, 07:30 AM
the computers pass defense should be way higher than 5 now it makes sense that it was pretty easy to pass.

JeffHCross
10-19-2014, 10:23 AM
G, it's worth noting that one thing we didn't apply from the Ratings based sliders that Escobar recommended is the penalty sliders. I wonder how much of a difference that would make.

skipwondah33
10-19-2014, 10:29 AM
the computers pass defense should be way higher than 5 now it makes sense that it was pretty easy to pass.I bet our reaction vs theirs wouldn't be nearly as noticeable against them if it were at 50.

Maybe offline is different but with equally rated players reaction isn't the way it is now.

JeffHCross
10-19-2014, 10:39 AM
G, it's worth noting that one thing we didn't apply from the Ratings based sliders that Escobar recommended is the penalty sliders. I wonder how much of a difference that would make.It's also worth noting that the creator says that the sliders are for those that want ratings based sliders and may not be challenging for skilled players :D

gschwendt
10-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm playing around with sliders and here's what I've come up with so far. I think it plays a really good, challenging game without feeling completely useless. It's considerably more difficult on offense and I'm still tweaking that, but this is what I have to start with. Let me know any feedback so far.

I haven't touched penalties yet but that's also something I want to adjust before we call these final.

Settings

CPU Offensive Skill

Heisman

CPU Defensive Skill

Heisman

User vs User Skill

Heisman

Quarter Length

8 Minutes

Game Speed

Normal
Very Fast

Speed Threshold

Home Field Advantage

On

Ice the Kicker

Off
On

Penalties

Offsides

False Start

Holding

Facemask

Offensive Pass Interference

Defensive Pass Interference

KR/PR Interference

Clipping

Intentional Grounding

Roughing the Passer

Roughing the Kicker

Sliders

Slider
HUM
CPU

QB Accuracy

Pass Blocking

WR Catching

RB Ability

Run Blocking

Pass Coverage

Interceptions

Rush Defense

Tackling

FG Power

FG Accuracy

Punt Power

Punt Accuracy

Kickoff Power

JeffHCross
10-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Here's the penalty sliders that were originally posted with the sliders we've been using:
Penalties

Offside: 50
False Start: 50
Holding: 50
Face Mask: 55
OPI: 50
DPI: 50
KR/PR Inter: 50
Clipping: 55
Int Grounding: 75
RTP: 54
RTK: 50

marcotte14
10-19-2014, 10:40 PM
I don't think we should lower the Rush defense for the cpu, its easy enough to run the ball as is, and IMO bumping the user pass coverage to 100 is crazy. I understand our teams are bad (even though a user team won the NC) our teams are getting better quick. I'm willing to try anything though, anything to make the cpu more competitive, but keeping it realistic as possible.

gschwendt
10-19-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't think we should lower the Rush defense for the cpu, its easy enough to run the ball as is, and IMO bumping the user pass coverage to 100 is crazy. I understand our teams are bad (even though a user team won the NC) our teams are getting better quick. I'm willing to try anything though, anything to make the cpu more competitive, but keeping it realistic as possible.
Sorry, I typed the wrong number in the original post... as is today, HUM pass coverage is 100.

skipwondah33
10-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I just don't care for the game speed.

Didn't care for when Madden forced the Slow speed on Online games

I'm sure there are other ways other than very fast speed. Hell Heisman default sliders would give better pass coverage/reaction I'd think

Again I don't get into slider adjustments but game speed don't care for

JeffHCross
10-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Skip, just to clarify, have you actually tried it? Can't tell if your objections are theoretical or based on experience with very fast.

skipwondah33
10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Skip, just to clarify, have you actually tried it? Can't tell if your objections are theoretical or based on experience with very fast.Played on Fast once before messing around, not very fast. So between both Madden and NCAA played Slow and Fast. One extreme to the next in terms of the difference between the two. Slow was like playing in what I'd imagine it being like in a tar pit. Fast another extreme opposite. Can't imagine me liking Very fast when I didn't like fast. I can not care for the speed without having tried it

The game shouldn't need this kind of tweaking to make it difficult I wouldn't think.

JeffHCross
10-20-2014, 09:24 AM
The game shouldn't need this kind of tweaking to make it difficult I wouldn't think.Welcome to EA football. :D

skipwondah33
10-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Welcome to EA football. :Dlol

I mean I know Defense sucks but I'll give up tackling rather than game speed though in all seriousness haha

JBHuskers
10-20-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm not a fan of ice the kicker, especially with user games that have more lag.

skipwondah33
10-20-2014, 01:36 PM
My game with G had alot of lag to start. It got better later on

There in the early parts I could hardly pick plays as it would skip by them a couple pages.