PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Settles Keller Lawsuit; EA Talks Conditions for NCAA Football Return

cdj
06-17-2014, 10:42 PM
As the O'Bannon lawsuit versus the NCAA continues, the NCAA has reached a $20M settlement with the plaintiffs in the Sam Keller lawsuit (http://college-football.si.com/2014/06/09/ncaa-keller-lawsuit-settlement/). The Keller case was to be heard in March 2015 and the settlement will distribute $20 million to “certain Division I men’s basketball and Division I Bowl Subdivision football student-athletes who attended certain institutions during the years the games were sold.”

“With the games no longer in production and the plaintiffs settling their claims with EA and the Collegiate Licensing Company, the NCAA viewed a settlement now as an appropriate opportunity to provide complete closure to the video game plaintiffs,” said NCAA Chief Legal Officer Donald Remy.

Electronic Arts and the Collegiate Licensing Company finalized a $40M settlement with a series of plaintiffs in late May (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11010455/college-athletes-reach-40-million-settlement-ea-sports-ncaa-licensing-arm).

The O'Bannon lawsuit does not feature the plantiffs looking for monetary damages, but rather changes to the current collegiate model. Continue on for more on this lawsuit as well as comments from Peter Moore on what it would take for the NCAA Football franchise to return.

SI.com legal expert Michael McCann offered his thoughts on why the NCAA may have settled in the case:

- Game Informer visited with EA SPORTS Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore and asked what it would take for the NCAA Football franchise to return (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/14/ea-ncaa-football-might-not-be-gone-forever-but-don-39-t-expect-more-soon.aspx):

"We've always said that we'd monitor the situation," Moore says.

We asked if there were specific things that would signal an all-clear to pursue the franchise again. "The development teams need to understand what they can and cannot do, and then it becomes a financial thing," Moore tells us. "If it costs you more to develop and pay for the players and what have you than you believe that you can sell, that's not fair to the [development] teams. They need to have an ongoing concern."

In order to get to the point where EA is looking at costs though, Moore expects that systemic change would be necessary across the multi-billion dollar college sports industry. "I think this thing gets bigger than us and our industry before it settles itself down," he says. "We'll step back and watch this thing develop."

- ESPN has written a lengthy piece on "Why You Should Know (Judge) Claudia Wilken (http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11091119/federal-judge-claudia-wilken-decide-ed-obannon-vs-ncaa-case-espnw)."

- Big Ten Conference Commissioner Jim Delaney believes that the existing lawsuits versus the NCAA will be settled in two to three years (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24591176/mike-slive-jim-delany-make-case-for-collegiate-model-while-it-goes-on-trial).

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?802-NCAA-Settles-Keller-Lawsuit-EA-Talks-Conditions-for-NCAA-Football-Return

steelerfan
06-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Certainly not the optimism we'd like to hear. However the door remains open, which is all that fans of the series can hope for at this stage.

I'm certainly not optimistic and I've filled the hours I used to spend on NCAA with other interests. I'd like to see it back someday but, if not, life goes on.

Thanks for sharing this, cdj.

jaymo76
06-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Based on Moore's comment I would be willing to say the NCAA may NEVER come back to video games. :(

JeffHCross
06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Based on Moore's comment I would be willing to say the NCAA may NEVER come back to video games. :(I knew it was going to go away eventually, though I didn't expect it when it did. I've thought for a while that the model we had with NCAA and Madden wasn't sustainable. I believe that if licensed NCAA teams and/or players returns it will be in a game that combines both into one title. Much like the NHL and FIFA series have multiple levels of leagues in one title.

souljahbill
06-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Easy fix. Super generic/random player and numbers and keep making teams based on styles.

JBHuskers
06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Easy fix. Super generic/random player and numbers and keep making teams based on styles.

Editing would probably have to be removed though.

souljahbill
06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Doesn't bother me. I play Dynasty anyway. All my players are fake.

I rather have a game with real schools and fake players than no game at all.

JBHuskers
06-18-2014, 09:24 AM

I would love to see it. And you're right. I'd be fine with it too.

Deuce
06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

:+1:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jaymo76
06-18-2014, 12:56 PM

+1,000,000!!!

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Amen. I've been running my same dynasty thread here since NCAA '12. NCAA '13 and '14, when I changed teams in the coaching carousel at the end of the previous edition of the game, I just straight up auto-named the rosters and jumped right in. I couldn't have cared less about player names. They don't matter one damn bit anyways once you get past season 4 of a dynasty.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass

JBHuskers
06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to make teams based on styles though. That could be perceived as using likeness, I just have a feeling.

souljahbill
06-18-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to make teams based on styles though. That could be perceived as using likeness, I just have a feeling.

I think they can get away with that. Styles come from the coaches, not the players. Oregon is gonna have a fast QB and skill players running spread option. Doesn't matter if it's QB #2 or QB #9.

EA can even autoname the on-disc roster just to make sure it's not a likeness issue. A former player can't sue just because the virtual QB is fast like they are in real life.

Rudy
06-18-2014, 05:38 PM
They said it could take 2-3 years for the lawsuits to wrap up. Hopefully it's sooner than that.

Unconquered
06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
I haven't been following this saga as closely as others, but why would EA have to remove the ability to edit players from any future game?

I can understand that by default the players would have to be completely randomized, but why can't the community be allowed to edit rosters? That seems too harsh to me.

I thought the main issue was that the games shipped with default rosters that bore too much of a resemblance to the players' real-life counterparts.

Rudy
06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
^Exactly. Doesn't PES allow for full customization without licenses?

bdoughty
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
^Exactly. Doesn't PES allow for full customization without licenses?

To an extent, it is built around letting you change things, as there has never been a share feature that I am aware of. People just started taking their files online for others to download and then copy over to the console.

For example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RJ7fAH1Uw)

Brings back memories of buying the old Datel Card to get rosters from the internet. I can just see it now, people sending off their consoles or hard drives to a roster maker because the process is too complex for them. :fp:

CLW
06-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Old news I posted this settlement info like 2 weeks ago in the other thread.

Guys the NCAA series is DEAD unless:

#1 The NCAA reverses course and allows EA to pay the players for their likeness AND EA can find a $ amount that makes the series profitable

#2 The NCAA collapses and whatever system ensues allows payers to be played AND EA can find a $ amount that makes the series profitable

Moore focused on the AND.... portion and it reads like he does NOT think the NCAA series would be profitable -- hell the basketball series wasn't even w/o having to pay the players so having to pay the football players might just not make sense for EA.

TIMB0B
06-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Old news I posted this settlement info like 2 weeks ago in the other thread.

Guys the NCAA series is DEAD unless:

#1 The NCAA reverses course and allows EA to pay the players for their likeness AND EA can find a $ amount that makes the series profitable

#2 The NCAA collapses and whatever system ensues allows payers to be played AND EA can find a $ amount that makes the series profitable

Moore focused on the AND.... portion and it reads like he does NOT think the NCAA series would be profitable -- hell the basketball series wasn't even w/o having to pay the players so having to pay the football players might just not make sense for EA.

What if they did it as a portion of the stipend players are wanting?

Also, couldn't they focus a RTG game at least?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdj
06-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Update: EA Executive Backs NCAA Athletes at Licensing Rules Trial (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-19/ea-executive-backs-ncaa-athletes-at-licensing-rules-trial.html)

Joel Linzner of Electronic Arts, which suspended its successful football video game series after being sued for not paying former players whose images it was accused of using without permission, said yesterday the company would welcome resurrecting the product.

He was called as a witness by athletes who are asking a federal judge in Oakland, California, to order the NCAA to allow them to license their names and images so that they can share in the billions of dollars generated by their games, mostly through television broadcasts.

“If there was an economically efficient way to do it and no rules prohibited it, we would be interested,” Linzner said.

“The NCAA made clear in its agreements with Electronic Arts that the company could not use the name, image or likeness of NCAA football and basketball players in its video games,” Bob Williams, an NCAA spokesman, said in a statement. “Despite repeated requests” by Electronic Arts for permission to use students’ names, images and likenesses, “the NCAA membership refused to change its policy,” he said.

On cross-examination, Linzner was asked if Electronic Arts used the names and likenesses of real student athletes in its games. “We did not believe we did, but there are plenty of plaintiffs’ attorneys here who believe we did,” he said.

JBHuskers
06-20-2014, 08:34 AM
To an extent, it is built around letting you change things, as there has never been a share feature that I am aware of. People just started taking their files online for others to download and then copy over to the console.

For example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RJ7fAH1Uw)

Brings back memories of buying the old Datel Card to get rosters from the internet. I can just see it now, people sending off their consoles or hard drives to a roster maker because the process is too complex for them. :fp:

Kaldenberg just got a boner.

CLW
06-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Update: EA Executive Backs NCAA Athletes at Licensing Rules Trial (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-19/ea-executive-backs-ncaa-athletes-at-licensing-rules-trial.html)

Joel Linzner of Electronic Arts, which suspended its successful football video game series after being sued for not paying former players whose images it was accused of using without permission, said yesterday the company would welcome resurrecting the product.

He was called as a witness by athletes who are asking a federal judge in Oakland, California, to order the NCAA to allow them to license their names and images so that they can share in the billions of dollars generated by their games, mostly through television broadcasts.

“If there was an economically efficient way to do it and no rules prohibited it, we would be interested,” Linzner said.

“The NCAA made clear in its agreements with Electronic Arts that the company could not use the name, image or likeness of NCAA football and basketball players in its video games,” Bob Williams, an NCAA spokesman, said in a statement. “Despite repeated requests” by Electronic Arts for permission to use students’ names, images and likenesses, “the NCAA membership refused to change its policy,” he said.

On cross-examination, Linzner was asked if Electronic Arts used the names and likenesses of real student athletes in its games. “We did not believe we did, but there are plenty of plaintiffs’ attorneys here who believe we did,” he said.

LMAO and after that testimony EA will NEVER make another NCAA product again. The only way EA gets a college sports video game is if the NCAA dies. EA pulled a classic bait and switch.

EA before settlement: Yeah, yeah these claims are bogus the NCAA is right.

Now: Yeah, yeah plaintiffs are right they should get paid.

EA's hypocrisy is embarrassing

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Double post. :fp:

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Well, all they gotta do is work out details with the players, CLC and various teams/leagues. They don't need the NCAA other than changes to take place regarding players getting paid. Just do what they intended to do this year, College Football '15.

Other than that, the NCAA can go sit on it and rotate.

JBHuskers
06-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Well, all they gotta do is work out details with the players, CLC and various teams/leagues. They don't need the NCAA other than changes to take place regarding players getting paid. Just do what they intended to do this year, College Football '15.

There are some schools that aren't part of the CLC, right?

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2014, 04:33 PM
There are some schools that aren't part of the CLC, right?

That's what it sounded like last fall/winter. Get a deal worked out with the CLC and then work out the deals needed with any teams/conferences that aren't part of the CLC. Leave the NCAA branding out of it all, and other than the hurdle of paying the players, I don't see any reason why EA would care about the NCAA after that testimony.

CLW
06-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Smooth - your forgetting the NCAA sets the rules. NCAA can ban the players from selling their likeness to EA. Well they cannot ban the actual sell but then they could just ban them from ever playing NCAA football/basketball.

Unless/Until the NCAA dies (or changes its mind) there will be no college video game.

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Smooth - your forgetting the NCAA sets the rules. NCAA can ban the players from selling their likeness to EA. Well they cannot ban the actual sell but then they could just ban them from ever playing NCAA football/basketball.

Unless/Until the NCAA dies (or changes its mind) there will be no college video game.

That's why I mentioned the hurdle of paying players and (unsaid) the hurdle of players being able to sell their likenesses. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA end up changing things in the near future.

Between these lawsuits and the constant threats from the SEC of leaving and forming its own organization because the NCAA isn't giving it every single thing that it wants like a spoiled fuck child, the NCAA is going to be forced to either adapt or end up ripped apart.

CLW
06-21-2014, 06:29 AM
That's why I mentioned the hurdle of paying players and (unsaid) the hurdle of players being able to sell their likenesses. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA end up changing things in the near future.

Between these lawsuits and the constant threats from the SEC of leaving and forming its own organization because the NCAA isn't giving it every single thing that it wants like a spoiled fuck child, the NCAA is going to be forced to either adapt or end up ripped apart.

I actually see the NCAA surviving but the "Big 5" (SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, PAC) - take their $ and leave and pay their players.

The NCAA goes on with the rest.

When that happens I won't watch a second of "Big 5" action. IF the smaller schools keep the same format and somehow get on t.v. I'll stay tuned in.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2014, 06:57 AM
I actually see the NCAA surviving but the "Big 5" (SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, PAC) - take their $ and leave and pay their players.

The NCAA goes on with the rest.

When that happens I won't watch a second of "Big 5" action. IF the smaller schools keep the same format and somehow get on t.v. I'll stay tuned in.

Well, if that happens, I guess we'll see what the NCAA ultimately does. As for the Big 5, I'm in the same boat. I already abhor the SEC and for the most part couldn't care less about the ACC, Big 12 or Pac 12. Big 10 is about the only Big 5 conference that I would have any interest or care in. In that case, if the Big 5 split off, I'd be perfectly fine continuing to watch the remaining conferences (assuming they are able to keep their TV deals), as I already follow to some extent the MAC, Mountain West, CUSA, Big East/American and Independent teams. If that day ever comes, yeah, the Big 5 can piss off. I'll continue watching and enjoying the "rejects".

souljahbill
06-21-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm down for watching "Reject" ball. I graduated from 2 reject schools.

steelerfan
06-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm down for watching "Reject" ball. I graduated from 2 reject schools.

:D

bdoughty
06-21-2014, 07:23 PM

If that day ever comes, yeah, the Big 5 can piss off. I'll continue watching and enjoying the "rejects".

So what happens if in that scenario, a college football video game is released by the Big 5? You guys would buy it, play it endlessly and dream of playing it while you sleep. Smooth would just play with the low rated teams, like Indiana or Kentucky, as to not feel dirty about buying it.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2014, 07:24 PM
So what happens if in that scenario, a college football video game is released by the Big 5? You guys would buy it, play it endlessly and dream of playing it while you sleep. Smooth would just play with the low rated teams, like Indiana or Kentucky, as to not feel dirty about buying it.

Nope. I'll just continue with NCAA 14. My dynasty is offline, so I couldn't care less when the day comes that they kill the servers for it.

CLW
06-21-2014, 07:38 PM

Nope. When/If the college athletes become pros I won't buy the game. The whole point of the NCAA series is that its about the SCHOOL. If I want to buy/play a professional game I'll buy 2K or Madden.

bdoughty
06-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Nope. I'll just continue with NCAA 14. My dynasty is offline, so I couldn't care less when the day comes that they kill the servers for it.

That Xbox 360 won't last forever. We can be damn sure of that. You will cave into the peer pressure. All the cool kids will be getting the game.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2014, 07:45 PM
That Xbox 360 won't last forever. We can be damn sure of that. You will cave into the peer pressure. All the cool kids will be getting the game.

My original Xbox and PS2 still work. My 360 will be fine. And if the day comes that it stops working, I'll just find another one for cheap on eBay. Same thing if my NCAA 14 disc stops working. I'll just find one for cheap on eBay. For me, a college football game either has to have all of the teams or none of them. I'm not bothering with this 50/50 Big 5/Little 5 split bullshit.

bdoughty
06-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Nope. When/If the college athletes become pros I won't buy the game. The whole point of the NCAA series is that its about the SCHOOL. If I want to buy/play a professional game I'll buy 2K or Madden.

Just as Duke has turned it around on the field? You guys keep fooling yourselves.

GatorfanStovy
06-21-2014, 10:59 PM
My original Xbox and PS2 still work. My 360 will be fine. And if the day comes that it stops working, I'll just find another one for cheap on eBay. Same thing if my NCAA 14 disc stops working. I'll just find one for cheap on eBay. For me, a college football game either has to have all of the teams or none of them. I'm not bothering with this 50/50 Big 5/Little 5 split bullshit.

I so agree here. I like Madden but I enjoy college a lot more just because of the teams and players and game play of the series. Plus the overal recruiting and dynasty mode is more fun IMO.

It just sucks these damn lawsuits came about and we won't see a NCAA football game on the next gen because I'm pretty sure it would of be kick ass on the next gen system and beat out madden.

Again I'll just be getting Madden just because its next gen gaming at its best/well only game sadly :( .

SmoothPancakes
06-22-2014, 12:45 AM
I so agree here. I like Madden but I enjoy college a lot more just because of the teams and players and game play of the series. Plus the overal recruiting and dynasty mode is more fun IMO.

It just sucks these damn lawsuits came about and we won't see a NCAA football game on the next gen because I'm pretty sure it would of be kick ass on the next gen system and beat out madden.

Again I'll just be getting Madden just because its next gen gaming at its best/well only game sadly :( .

Yep, I would love for nothing more than for a NCAA game to come back. But I have FAR more interest in teams like Navy, Tulsa, Utah State, Bowling Green, Arkansas State, etc. And I have FAR more interest in conferences like the MAC, the Mountain West, the Sun Belt, C-USA, the American and the Independents.

Plus, if EA, 2K or anyone, tried to put out a college football game and charge $60 for only half the content (only the Big 5 schools/conferences), I would tell them to go fuck themselves. I'd tell them to go fuck themselves on here, only Facebook, on Twitter, on their own forums, in the Contact Us forms, on the phone with whatever hapless call center minimum wage employee I got stuck with (though it'd be nothing personal with that specific person), I'd even specifically email their President and CEO and tell him/them to go fuck himself/themselves.

Rudy
06-22-2014, 05:09 AM
I'm a sheep. I love the big schools and don't have any interest in the small ones. A game centered on the Big 5 would be great for me.

bdoughty
06-22-2014, 07:17 AM
I'm a sheep. I love the big schools and don't have any interest in the small ones. A game centered on the Big 5 would be great for me.

http://i.imgur.com/vUoisat.gif

There will be an itch and all these naysayers will scratch. Even with just the Big 5 there would still be 62 teams to choose from. If you love college football the most, how could you pass on this over Madden? More variety, teams, play-styles and a better offseason mode.

SmoothPancakes
06-22-2014, 02:03 PM

There will be an itch and all these naysayers will scratch. Even with just the Big 5 there would still be 62 teams to choose from. If you love college football the most, how could you pass on this over Madden? More variety, teams, play-styles and a better offseason mode.

Again, no Navy, no Bowling Green/Toledo, no C-USA, no Mountain West, etc, they can go fuck off. I don't give a shit if they still end up having 62 teams with Big 5 only. I can play NCAA 14 and have 126 teams.

TIMB0B
06-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Would anyone be interested in a RTG game with complete control of editable teams, rosters, districts, and schedules? Except you would begin as a freshman, and the new freshmen after each progressed year would be AI based, as in no recruiting, just random players from bad to great. I'm talking about a high school football game. Team builder could be utilized, but they need to make upgrades such as editable equipment and a stadium builder among other things, all online.

Just think, as a freshman you're not being recruited, but then your performance and measurables begin determining year after year your prospect ranking and who recruits you.

SmoothPancakes
06-22-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd personally pass. RTG is fine for a week or two, especially when whoring trophies and achievements. But after that, I pretty much couldn't care less about RTG from that point on. It's dynasty or nothing for me.

TIMB0B
06-23-2014, 12:54 AM
I'd personally pass. RTG is fine for a week or two, especially when whoring trophies and achievements. But after that, I pretty much couldn't care less about RTG from that point on. It's dynasty or nothing for me.

I would implement a dynasty feature with it too, but I could see how interest would be lost from 1) your player graduating and 2) you can't recruit and build your team -- just plug and play with random incoming freshmen.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2014, 03:57 AM
I would implement a dynasty feature with it too, but I could see how interest would be lost from 1) your player graduating and 2) you can't recruit and build your team -- just plug and play with random incoming freshmen.

That pretty much sums it up for me. This one player control stuff just isn't for me. I want a pure dynasty where I control everything, like what we have had all these years. I want to control recruiting, I want to control all the players, I want to control redshirts, and plays called, and coaching philosophies for the teams.

Those are the reasons why RTG has never really interested me. I play it while I waited for sliders every year and just long enough to get the related achievements, and then I was done with the mode.

coogrfan
06-23-2014, 09:40 AM

F that. Why would I want to purchase a game that wouldn't include my school or our conference?

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2014, 10:00 AM
F that. Why would I want to purchase a game that wouldn't include my school or our conference?

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell him this whole time. Would he still buy the game if it left out Oklahoma and the Big 12? I doubt he would. So why would I?

TIMB0B
06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
That pretty much sums it up for me. This one player control stuff just isn't for me. I want a pure dynasty where I control everything, like what we have had all these years. I want to control recruiting, I want to control all the players, I want to control redshirts, and plays called, and coaching philosophies for the teams.

Those are the reasons why RTG has never really interested me. I play it while I waited for sliders every year and just long enough to get the related achievements, and then I was done with the mode.

I guess what I'm envisioning is the same control that you have over a dynasty like NCAA, but it's high school. You can do RTG mode if you want.

Still no recruiting, though.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2014, 10:19 AM
I guess what I'm envisioning is the same control that you have over a dynasty like NCAA, but it's high school. You can do RTG mode if you want.

Still no recruiting, though.

Which is what breaks the deal for me
I couldn't care less about RTG and I especially couldn't care less about high school. It's either the college teams with full recruiting (because EA would absolutely fuck up progression from year to year and incoming freshman and thus teams would end up total trash by year 5) or I pass. I wouldn't even buy a game like that if it was $5.

TIMB0B
06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Which is what breaks the deal for me
I couldn't care less about RTG and I especially couldn't care less about high school. It's either the college teams with full recruiting (because EA would absolutely fuck up progression from year to year and incoming freshman and thus teams would end up total trash by year 5) or I pass. I wouldn't even buy a game like that if it was $5.

Point taken.

bdoughty
06-23-2014, 06:13 PM
That's exactly what I've been trying to tell him this whole time. Would he still buy the game if it left out Oklahoma and the Big 12? I doubt he would. So why would I?

Actually, I would still buy it. I rarely ever played as Oklahoma the past few editions. In fact if OU is on my schedule I just simulate it. Have spent more time playing with Texas Tech, North Texas and Northwestern over the years.

It is all speculation, I am in the camp that we are a long way from seeing NCAA games.

I will add that there really is an easy fix to the roster issue and EA having no liability. Randomly generated rosters when you launch the game for the first time. No two rosters would be alike, leaving players unable to claim likeness. Roster makers would just have to spend some time tweaking appearances before releasing rosters.

CLW
06-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Actually, I would still buy it. I rarely ever played as Oklahoma the past few editions. In fact if OU is on my schedule I just simulate it. Have spent more time playing with Texas Tech, North Texas and Northwestern over the years.

It is all speculation, I am in the camp that we are a long way from seeing NCAA games.

I will add that there really is an easy fix to the roster issue and EA having no liability. Randomly generated rosters when you launch the game for the first time. No two rosters would be alike, leaving players unable to claim likeness. Roster makers would just have to spend some time tweaking appearances before releasing rosters.

Nope. B/c creating a game that would allow others to misappropriate someone else's property can also lead to liability - see e.g., Napster Remember them? They technically did nothing wrong just like EA but their software allowed others to do so. Plaintiff's lawyers would sue EA again and EA has already shown it has no stomach to fight so write another big fat check.

bdoughty
06-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Nope. B/c creating a game that would allow others to misappropriate someone else's property can also lead to liability - see e.g., Napster Remember them? They technically did nothing wrong just like EA but their software allowed others to do so. Plaintiff's lawyers would sue EA again and EA has already shown it has no stomach to fight so write another big fat check.

Napster was the go-between for all the files to share, technically they did everything wrong by doing so without the licensing or approval of the companies whose files were shared. EA had licenses with the NCAA/CLC. There was no player union to make a deal with. Not a really good comparison. EA would probably have to get rid of the roster share and "roster sharing" would have to go back to the old ways. Just as PES has always done. They (PES) have always always left room to add teams too. Last I checked they have not been sued? Pretty sure every league not licensed in the game has know this for some time.

CLW
06-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Napster was the go-between for all the files to share, technically they did everything wrong by doing so without the licensing or approval of the companies whose files were shared. EA had licenses with the NCAA/CLC. There was no player union to make a deal with. Not a really good comparison. EA would probably have to get rid of the roster share and "roster sharing" would have to go back to the old ways. Just as PES has always done. They (PES) have always always left room to add teams too. Last I checked they have not been sued? Pretty sure every league not licensed in the game has know this for some time.

The reason they haven't been sued is easy not enough $ money to interest those plaintiff's lawyers flying around in their 4 private jets.

TIMB0B
06-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know why bowls can give players gifts with the NCAA's blessing?

bdoughty
06-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Does anyone know why bowls can give players gifts with the NCAA's blessing?

It's not just the Bowls passing out the gifts.

The NCAA allows each bowl to award up to $550 worth of gifts to 125 participants per school. Schools can, and almost always do, buy additional packages that they can distribute to participants beyond that 125 limit. In addition, participants can receive awards worth up to $400 from the school and up to $400 from the conference for postseason play, covering both conference title games and any bowl game.

My understanding is the gifts have going around since the 1950's. So it is nothing new, outside the amount of the gift's which forced the NCAA to put a limit on how much. Obviously without limitations this could be used as a great recruiting strategy.

In the NCAA's mind a gift does not equal cash, therefore it does not count. ;) As for why? A reward for being one of the 70 teams out of 125 to make a bowl game? I would use the logic that it is a form of compensation for having to stay at school and missing out on some of the holiday break, being separated from their families, etc. Of course, basketball players do the same thing. It is the NCAA, logic be damned.

xMrHitStickx904
06-25-2014, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't play an NCAA game with just the Big 5 schools in it. Mind you, Louisville would be in the game - but it takes away from the experience imo. I enjoy taking teams in Dynasty outside the power conferences, and playing every game on the schedule in different stadiums, weather etc. I can just play NCAA 14 on my Xbox & be content until the series makes it return.

jaymo76
06-25-2014, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't play an NCAA game with just the Big 5 schools in it. Mind you, Louisville would be in the game - but it takes away from the experience imo. I enjoy taking teams in Dynasty outside the power conferences, and playing every game on the schedule in different stadiums, weather etc. I can just play NCAA 14 on my Xbox & be content until the series makes it return.

I agree 100%. Any college game without at the very least ALL FBS level schools is not a college game for me. Heck, I still am choked FCS teams are missing.

steelerfan
06-25-2014, 10:18 PM
I don't know, I played the hell out of Bill Walsh on the Genesis and it only had, I believe, 36 schools. It would be tough to go back to something like that but I think most would think something is better than nothing.

It's easy to say that I'd just keep playing NCAA 14, but we're less than a year removed from its release. What if we go 5 years with no game and then get something with 50 schools. Would you all still play NCAA 14? 10 years?

If a game is ever made again, it could be that long. I don't think many people would pass and keep playing NCAA 14.

souljahbill
06-26-2014, 02:27 AM
It appears that it's all a matter of who you root for. If your school is in a power conference, you may be more easily swayed by Big 5 game. If you're all about the little guys, it's all or nothing.

ram29jackson
06-27-2014, 11:48 PM
http://deadspin.com/the-one-fuck-up-that-should-submarine-the-ncaas-obannon-1597003423?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Astonishingly, an organization that tells us to think of it as "a marching band celebrating student-athletes in everything they do" did not call a single … wait for it … student-athlete. Two of the NCAA's four pre-competitive justifications for prohibiting compensation are that consumer demand of college sports is dependent on maintaining amateurism and that amateurism rules promote an integration of academics and athletics. Who could possibly be more qualified to speak to the merits of amateurism than a successful former amateur athlete?

To be fair to the NCAA, the judge hearing the case previously ruled that any college athlete who has appeared in televised game footage since 2005 was automatically a class-action plaintiff, and therefore could not be called to testify on behalf of the defense. Still, out of all the thousands of athletes that played college sports before 2005, the best the NCAA could come up with was Jim Delany, a former North Carolina point guard who played in the '60s, a former Kent State basketball player from the '70s named Chris Plonsky, and Diane Dickman, who played college golf in the '80s for Tulsa.

Here are some fun facts about those three pro-NCAA former student-athletes: Jim Delany is the current commissioner of the Big Ten, Chris Plonsky is the current athletics director at Texas, and Diane Dickman is the NCAA's current director of academic and membership affairs.

Consider how stupid this makes the NCAA look. According to the NCAA's Division I manual, a college athlete's participation in sports should be "Motivated primarily by education and by the physical, mental and social benefits to be derived." And yet Emmert and his goons couldn't find a single "student-athlete" who does not currently have a financial stake in the NCAA's continued existence to take the stand and plainly state, "Yes, I got into this for the education as well as the physical, mental and social benefits to be derived."

JeffHCross
06-28-2014, 12:57 AM
To all of you talking about playing a game with generic players, and the possibility of it allowing editing that could make teams more like real teams ... remember that Backbreaker was initially billed as a game that would allow full customization. It didn't have an NFL license, but would allow you to customize it to your heart's content.

A mere threat of a lawsuit from the NFL killed off that feature before the game was ever released.

I think EA would be rather gunshy with anything generic. The only likelihood I see of a generic game with customization ability getting released is if it's by a company that simply doesn't think it will make enough waves to get sued.

Orbmik
06-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Just started a new dynasty on the ps3, and this is one the reasons why I didn't buy a ps4. Because I only play Madden & NCAA, what's the point. I'd rather buy another ps3 to backup the one I already have. I know this is whishful thinking, but, you think we'll be able to roll over the grad class to M15? This is really a sad time 4 me, gotta wait until August to get a new football game:fdown:

JeffHCross
10-03-2014, 09:54 PM
SCOTUS denies EA appeal, will not hear case.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/10/02/72085.htm

cdj
04-13-2015, 08:53 PM

steelerfan
04-13-2015, 09:12 PM
:D

cdj
04-14-2015, 07:42 AM

SmoothPancakes
04-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Wow. $74, $270, $4,324, $5,000 or $15,000. Hope it was worth destroying the entire series jackasses.

#TheScriptIsDead

cdj
04-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Wow. $74, $270, $4,324, $5,000 or $15,000. Hope it was worth destroying the entire series jackasses.

#TheScriptIsDead

Well, for the lawyers it was definitely worth it. They'd likely love to do it again. :smh:

If I understand Solomon correctly, less than 10% of those eligible joined the class-action suit. I wonder how that compares to the average % in similar suits.

cdj
04-14-2015, 08:21 AM

JeffHCross
04-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Well, for the lawyers it was definitely worth it. They'd likely love to do it again. :smh:

If I understand Solomon correctly, less than 10% of those eligible joined the class-action suit. I wonder how that compares to the average % in similar suits.Along the same lines, I'm pretty sure nobody involved actually wanted to kill the series ... maybe a few people thought it was so problematic that they wanted to see the series end ... but I think Keller and others just wanted some compensation for the fact that they were being used without permission.

The lawyers, clearly, were the ones truly interested in a big pay day. What a joke.

SmoothPancakes
04-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the lawyers made out with a nice big fat payday.

#TheScriptIsDead

souljahbill
04-14-2015, 10:01 AM
CLW, can we now sue Keller and O'Bannon and the lawyers for taking the game away from us? They denied my right to pursue happiness as stated in the Declaration of Independence

steelerfan
04-14-2015, 01:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/14/b4a8036f5c84ddf436989e70bf3fdcc1.jpg

skipwondah33
04-15-2015, 07:56 PM
lol

20,000 plus hours! Good lord at $900 an hour haha