PDA

View Full Version : NPD for April 2014

bdoughty
05-15-2014, 06:13 PM
From Neogaf

http://abload.de/img/titanfall-on-top-for-h6dmh.jpg

Notes:
-"PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40 percent compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months. Wii U software sales were up over last year by over 80 percent," said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.
-Xbox One has an attach rate of 3.
-Xbox One sold 447,000 games.
-Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million games.
-The Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined accounted for 53% of all software sales.
-Infamous was the best selling next-gen game. (As in, in terms of only counting sales of games on XB1/PS4/probably Wii U, this game sold the best if you ignored all other sales.)
-Skylanders sales are up double digits.

Hardware:

PlayStation 4: Best selling hardware.
Xbox One: 115K, Second best selling hardware. (This would be lower than any 360 April sans this one.)
Xbox 360: 71K

Notes:
-"Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.
-“[Home] console hardware sales increased by 120 percent in April 2014 over last year,” said Callahan.
-"Xbox One continues to outpace Xbox 360 sales in the same historical time period by selling over 76 percent more units in the first six months on the market." - Microsoft

Other Information:

Originally Posted by Microsoft

April NPD Results: Xbox Leads U.S. Software Game Sales

April NPD Group figures released today showed that Xbox One continues to lead in software sales with the most cumulative units sold for any eighth generation home console platform life-to-date. Combined, Xbox One and Xbox 360 held eight of the top 10 spots on the generation eight and generation seven console game lists in the U.S. And, Xbox One continues to outpace Xbox 360 sales in the same historical time period by selling over 76 percent more units in the first six months on the market.

Highlights from April 2014 NPD Group results include:
Xbox One continues to see impressive software sales, maintaining an average of three games sold per console.
With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 2.6 million games sold. Xbox One sold 447,000 games in April and Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million, totaling 53 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined).
Xbox One and Xbox 360 together held eight of the top 10 spots on the generation eight and generation seven console game list in the U.S.: “Titanfall” (Xbox One), “Kinect Sports Rivals” (Xbox One), “Titanfall” (Xbox 360), “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Xbox 360), “NBA 2K14” (Xbox 360), “Grand Theft Auto V” (Xbox 360), “Minecraft” (Xbox 360) and “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare” (Xbox 360).
Xbox One sold 115,000 units in the U.S. in the month of April and has outpaced box 360 sales by 76 percent in the first six months on the market.
Xbox 360 continues to grow its install base with 71,000 units sold in April in the U.S., more than any other seventh generation console.
Looking ahead to June, we’ll launch significant updates for Xbox. Earlier this week, we announced more choices and better value for Xbox fans who have been asking for options in games and entertainment experiences as well as options in hardware selection. Beginning on June 9, in all markets where Xbox One is currently sold, we will offer Xbox One starting at $399, in addition to Xbox One with Kinect. We’re also bringing a new generation of Xbox Live including Games with Gold and Deals with Gold coming to Xbox One, as well as giving anyone with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One access to apps – whether or not you have an Xbox Live Gold membership.

We’re excited to share more about the amazing lineup of games coming to Xbox during our Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing, Xbox: Game On, which will take place Monday, June 9 beginning at 9:30 a.m. PDT. During the briefing, we’ll showcase in-depth looks at previously announced games as well as trailers for our unannounced games coming in 2014 and beyond.

Data from NPD Group, April 2014

souljahbill
05-15-2014, 06:46 PM
*waits for CLW*

SmoothPancakes
05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
*waits for CLW*

:D Beat me to it.

I OU a Beatn
05-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Those Xbox One hardware numbers are just awful. I guess it's a combination of the price going back up to $500 after being on sale most everywhere else for March + nothing major releasing in April.

They'll be fine, though. Good entries into their established franchises(Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable) + their new franchises actually being good (Quantum Break/Sunset Overdrive) along with the $400 price should get them turned around pretty quick. Halo more so than any of the other ones.

I honestly believe Microsoft has something major coming at E3. It feels like the right time for them to lock down a major 3rd party exclusive that would get the gaming world to melt down. Resident Evil maybe?

They have to have SOMETHING because all this recent news about the price cut, games with gold on Xbox One, apps no longer behind paywall, etc... is CLASSIC stuff for E3, and they revealed all that before E3. Sunset Overdrive looks amazing, and they lifted the curtain off the game before E3 as well. I definitely think they have something major. I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment, but it does make sense! :D

EDIT: ...and now, a very well respected insider says there's going to be Halo 5 info tomorrow. Either my theory is correct or Microsoft is just skipping E3.

bdoughty
05-15-2014, 09:55 PM
A Halo MMO. :D Everyone else is doing it. I think they have something up their sleeve. They better, because May hardware sales are going to be in the WiiU territory since they have already spilled the beans on a cheaper console in June.

+ nothing major releasing in April.

Blasphemy. You are no longer welcome to the future. Man, machine - The Fusion. GOTY!

JBHuskers
05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment

Part of me things something major, part of me thinks they're putting their cards on the table a month early due to trying to play catchup.

I OU a Beatn
05-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Part of me things something major, part of me thinks they're putting their cards on the table a month early due to trying to play catchup.

True, but if they were trying to do that, they would make all the changes now instead of announcing now and then putting the changes into effect in June. They just murdered their May sales - who's going to pay $500 for something when it's going to be $400 in under a month?

They have something up their sleeve. I don't know if it's a major 3rd party money hat exclusive, or they've got something major coming from one of their studios, but they've got something huge, IMO.

Holy hell, they just unveiled their most popular exclusive a month before their conference. :D

JBHuskers
05-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.