PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Men's NCAA Tournament & Post-season Discussion

cdj
03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
The field has been announced! Use this thread to discuss the post-season action.

- Printable Men's NCAA Tournament Bracket (PDF) (http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/global/swapper/201403/140316.01.pdf)

- TGT Bracket Challenge on ESPN.com (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?779-Join-the-2014-TGT-Tournament-Challenge-group-on-ESPN-com!)

CLW
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm embarrassed at the seeding process this year. :Michigan_State: and :Louisville: got shafted but poor :Wichita_State: they will probably "flame out early" and everyone will be like I told you so they didn't play anyone. Having to play :Kentucky: :Louisville: and :Michigan: or :Duke: to get to the Final 4 is just STUPID hard.

cdj
03-16-2014, 08:29 PM
NCAA Tournament TV schedule, tip times, announcing teams (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24488130/ncaa-tournament-tv-schedule-tip-times-announcing-teams)

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm embarrassed at the seeding process this year. :Michigan_State: and :Louisville: got shafted but poor :Wichita_State: they will probably "flame out early" and everyone will be like I told you so they didn't play anyone. Having to play :Kentucky: :Louisville: and :Michigan: or :Duke: to get to the Final 4 is just STUPID hard.

Yep, Wichita State got completely fucked over. The seeding committee are some seriously manipulative fucks.

skipwondah33
03-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Well if they truly are one of the greatest teams ever..they certainly will get to prove it

And questions about whether they didn't really play anyone will be answered soon

JBHuskers
03-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, Bilas thinks this Wichita State team is better than last years. I say the first time a solid team punches them in the mouth, they'll fold.

jaymo76
03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Ran through my first bracket and I surprised myself...

:Michigan_State: over :Oklahoma: for the NC.

I didn't predict this going in, that's for sure but it was just how it shook down based on my picks.

JBHuskers
03-17-2014, 11:48 AM
I have :Oklahoma: losing in the first round :D

SmoothPancakes
03-17-2014, 11:54 AM
In my initial rough draft bracket, I have them losing to San Diego State in the round of 32. How long that holds out, god only knows. My bracket will probably change around 100 different times between now and noon Thursday.

skipwondah33
03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah, Bilas thinks this Wichita State team is better than last years. I say the first time a solid team punches them in the mouth, they'll fold.Yeah weren't they down like 20 to a team that didn't even make it into the tourney?

Missouri Chattanooga Valley State? Sarcasm of course

JBHuskers
03-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Yeah weren't they down like 20 to a team that didn't even make it into the tourney?

Missouri Chattanooga Valley State? Sarcasm of course

I have :Kentucky: beating them in the round of 32.

CLW
03-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Meh IF I were a betting man I'd say the "pussies" fold before the Shockers. :Kentucky: has raw talent but no heart, desire, cohesiveness and poor coaching. UK may not even beat :Kansas_State: I'd give K-State a 40% chance of beating the kitties themselves.

steelerfan
03-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Typical Over/Under on number of times you hear "tumor" during a broadcast: 0.5.

Tonight: 26.5.

JBHuskers
03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Did a last minute change to the winner of my bracket :nod: may not be the last change either.

CLW
03-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Did a last minute change to the winner of my bracket :nod: may not be the last change either.

The field is SO................. WEAK this year its not even funny. There is CLEARLY no favorite this year and if it weren't for the draw I'd prob would have picked :Wichita_State: to shock the world and run the table. However, there is just no way they (or any team) could run their likely gauntlet I can NEVER remember a #1 seed getting a tougher potential bracket than they did.

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
The field is SO................. WEAK this year its not even funny. There is CLEARLY no favorite this year and if it weren't for the draw I'd prob would have picked :Wichita_State: to shock the world and run the table. However, there is just no way they (or any team) could run their likely gauntlet I can NEVER remember a #1 seed getting a tougher potential bracket than they did.

And unfortunately, it's damned if they do, damned if they don't. The second they lose, everyone will be shouting from the rooftops claiming "I told you so" and going on about how it proves that Wichita State didn't deserve a #1 seed and they were only undefeated because they played for a weak conference.

And for any team they beat, oh, well Kentucky sucks this year, oh well, this team got upset so Wichita State didn't even have to face them, oh well, this player had a really bad night so Wichita State got lucky, they never would have won otherwise. Wichita State is fucked no matter what they do when it comes to the public.

CLW
03-20-2014, 08:37 AM
And unfortunately, it's damned if they do, damned if they don't. The second they lose, everyone will be shouting from the rooftops claiming "I told you so" and going on about how it proves that Wichita State didn't deserve a #1 seed and they were only undefeated because they played for a weak conference.

And for any team they beat, oh, well Kentucky sucks this year, oh well, this team got upset so Wichita State didn't even have to face them, oh well, this player had a really bad night so Wichita State got lucky, they never would have won otherwise. Wichita State is fucked no matter what they do when it comes to the public.

Yep unless they beat :Kentucky: :Louisville: :Duke: :Arizona: AND :Florida: in route to a title otherwise its a fluke they won.

jaymo76
03-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Dayton I love you!!! What an awesome win. I wanted to pick them in my pool but I didn't. This is a team I can cheer for.

CLW
03-20-2014, 01:26 PM
:Dayton: costs me a Billion dollars time to sue the university class action style as I'm sure I'm not the only person that they just screwed out of the billion. :nod:

JBHuskers
03-20-2014, 01:26 PM
1 for 1 in upset picks :nod:

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU.

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Son of a bitch! I had Dayton picked all fucking week, then while doing a last second review, at 11:50 AM, I change the goddamn pick to Ohio State. Goddamn me and my last fucking second meddling. :fp:

CLW
03-20-2014, 01:40 PM
1 for 1 in upset picks :nod:

Suing JB too. :nod:

skipwondah33
03-20-2014, 01:44 PM
I did my bracket at last minute and still probably F'd it up

Didn't pick Dayton that's for sure.

CLW
03-20-2014, 01:54 PM
:Pitt: is laying a BEATDOWN on the potheads and :Harvard: looks good early

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Well done Harvard. I liked Harvard and with the 12/5 upset, I was strongly tempted to pick them, but I just wasn't able to convince myself to take Harvard over Cincinnati. It cost me a point, but I had Cincinnati losing to Michigan State next round, so I'm fine with the incorrect pick. I'd rather Harvard win anyways.

CLW
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Changed my mind I suspect :Harvard: has a larger endowment than :Dayton: :nod:

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Albany came up 12 points short, but between this game and the results from the SEC tournament, Florida is clearly vulnerable and not the big bad untouchable team all the parroting TV dumbasses were making them out to be.

ram29jackson
03-20-2014, 08:25 PM
good bye Ohio

CLW
03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
The law school alma :Saint_Louis: hack a Pack stragey works as :NC_State: cannot hit a free throw and they BLOW a 16 point lead and are now in OT. wow!

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 08:40 PM
NC State is trying to melt down and piss away this game. :fp:

And I am shocked so far. Really, there have only been two true blowouts so far in all of today (Wisconsin/American and Pittsburgh/Colorado). Everything else was actually pretty closely contested late in the contests and the final scores were rather close. Even the two remaining game still playing, one going to overtime and the other a four point game.

And in all this, a 1 seed, two 2s, a 3, a 4, three 5s, a 6, two 7s and an 8. With a 2, two 4s and a 7 yet to go. It's only the first day of the tournament, but there has been some close and very competitive games, across all seedings. I'm liking this more competitive NCAA tournament, where even 1s and 2s are truly being challenged now each game and each year, not just the token "maybe they can do it" 2/3/4 seed upsets here and there.

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
The law school alma :Saint_Louis: hack a Pack stragey works as :NC_State: cannot hit a free throw and they BLOW a 16 point lead and are now in OT. wow!

It worked in regulation, but now they're in serious foul trouble. If they get behind here in the OT and have to go back to hacking, they're going to start coming up short on players.

CLW
03-20-2014, 08:55 PM
LAMO this :Saint_Louis: :NC_State: game is insane neither team apparently wants to win and move on.

JBHuskers
03-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Saint Louis costs me my perfect bracket :D Oklahoma is about to give me my 2nd loss.

CLW
03-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Saint Louis costs me my perfect bracket :D Oklahoma is about to give me my 2nd loss.

That 16 point lead being lost to cost you a billion $ must have hurt. :nod:

JBHuskers
03-20-2014, 09:05 PM
LAMO this :Saint_Louis: :NC_State: game is insane neither team apparently wants to win and move on.

One team shot below 50% from the line. The other, barely over.

CLW
03-20-2014, 09:06 PM
wow what a shot. sorry but the opening days of the NCAA Tourny are by far the biggest and best sporting event in the U.S. (and that includes the super bowl)

CLW
03-20-2014, 09:11 PM
lmao and buffalo wild wings has a special overtime commercial which apparently they can have the networks play for every OT game?

jaymo76
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Well my bracket is destroyed... thank you NDSU. Hugely disappointed in Oklahoma. They had no finish whatsoever.

JBHuskers
03-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Only one loss so far for me. Thanks Saint Louis.

JBHuskers
03-20-2014, 09:49 PM
lmao and buffalo wild wings has a special overtime commercial which apparently they can have the networks play for every OT game?

I like it. :D

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
wow what a shot. sorry but the opening days of the NCAA Tourny are by far the biggest and best sporting event in the U.S. (and that includes the super bowl)

:nod: With all of the upsets and the great games, the first two days of the NCAA Tournament, when all 64 teams are still in action, are without a doubt by far the great sporting event in the US, with days 3 and 4 with the round of 32 games a close second. The rest of the NCAA tournament is great, but when you get past the first four days, the first two rounds, where all the upsets happen, all the great underdog David vs. Goliath games are played, then it just becomes a typical weekend of basketball. After that, it's just typical nights of watching the Louisvilles, the Kansas', the Kentuckys, the Floridas, the Michigan States, etc., of the college basketball world fighting each other for another NCAA title. If the underdogs can go on a run deep into the tournament (Butler, Wichita State, VCU, etc.), it's much better and keeps the later rounds exciting, but it still never has and never will compare to the first two rounds and first four days.

jaymo76
03-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Didn't need another reason to dislike :Texas: However I now have one... heartbreaking loss for :Arizona_State:

Next year :Arizona_State2: nation.

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah, that was a "rip your heart out" loss. That's just rough.

And Louisville is in trouble right now. They're treading water with danger of going under against Manhattan.

cdj
03-21-2014, 07:35 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjQDqI2CEAE9wNc.jpg:large

CLW
03-21-2014, 07:51 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjQDqI2CEAE9wNc.jpg:large

That's why you don't duck in state schools. For YEARS now :Kentucky: has ducked :Murray_State: playing EVERY school in the state but the Racers. I look forward to the day when the committee puts the two together and the kitties go down.

CLW
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM
:Duke: never bought in on defense (apparently believing they could just outscore everyone). Nope give up 78 to a SHITTY :Mercer: club and C-Ya.

skipwondah33
03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
They almost attempted more 3's than Mercer's FG attempts alone

CLW
03-21-2014, 02:19 PM
They almost attempted more 3's than Mercer's FG attempts alone

Yep Mercer played ton of zone or almost "pac line" man. It's the way the game is played now. The shots were by and large good shots and they hit 41% of those shots. O and shots weren't the problem. Duke NEVER comitted to playing defense the ENTIRE season and they just let a borderline top 100 team put up probably 1.2 points per possession. The defense was PATHETIC as it was all year (ranked 116th in D by Kenpom).

However, the media will use the old cliche live by the bomb. That was NOT the story today. Duke's lack of defense was.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Thank you god, I had Tennessee beating Duke in the next round. I've had 6 swings and a miss so far in the first round, but not a single Sweet Sixteen team lost year.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Watching the highlights of the Mercer-Duke game, after Florida Gulf Coast last year and Mercer so far this year, I'm going to have to start giving the Atlantic Sun a lot more attention each year when I make out my bracket. That's two years now, with two different teams, that the Atlantic Sun has had huge wins and upsets.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Well, it's not much, but so far, Wichita State is the only #1 seed to have actually played like a #1 seed, leading Cal Poly 30-8 with 5 minutes left in the 1st half. This has turned into an utter ass whooping in a matter of minutes.

cdj
03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
The poor officiating wasn't the (sole) reason Nebraska lost today, but it sure didn't help.

Karl Hess led the charge (known by ACC fans as the worst ref in the country) ended up issuing a statement after the game. Something like this is inexcusable in the NCAA Tournament, so hopefully he and his crew are done for this year.

Official Karl Hess, who ejected Nebraska coach Tim Miles Friday after Miles was trying to get the officials' attention because of a shot clock malfunction, said he and his crew were in error regarding the shot clock problem.

"Prior to the second technical foul call, there was a shot clock error that both the shot clock operator and officials did not notice," Hess said in the statement released by a pool reporter. "The error should have been noticed and could have been corrected."

Regarding Miles' ejection, Hess only referred to cited rule 10, section 3, article 2, items E and F, which states the automatic ejection of a coach after he receives his second technical foul.

There were no additional statements, or opportunities for follow-up questions.

Miles watched the final 11 minutes of Nebraska's 74-60 loss to Baylor from various places in the bowels of AT&T Center, including the Creighton locker room, because the TV in the Nebraska locker room was malfunctioning, just like the shot clock.

Miles said he was never offered an explanation or apology, and the bench official didn’t say anything, either, while he pleaded his case about the shot clock problem.

“I tried to find the shot clock guy, and I assume it was the guy that just dropped his head," Miles said. "I’m assuming it was him. He didn’t give much support, either.

“I was embarrassed. Personally, you just feel like you’ve let down your team. And then there’s just this, ‘You’re kidding me, is this real?’ It was just a tough moment.”

It seems like so many refs make anticipatory calls instead of waiting to see what actually happens. It's really hurting the game, IMO. There's too many games where there's 40-60+ combined FTA.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Thank you baby Jesus! North Carolina survives to beat Providence and my bracket survives for another game. Took some hits yesterday and today, but only on teams I had losing this weekend. I still have every Sweet Sixteen team alive for the moment.

Providence absolutely pissed it away. Tied 77-77 with three seconds left, UNC made the first free throw, missed the second, but Providence left the shooter completely unguarded and he was able to get his own rebound. Fouled again, with 1.8 seconds left, made the first free throw, missed the second again and while trying to get the rebound, the ball ended up going out of bounds off a Providence player with 0.7 seconds to go. Absolute total collapse by Providence, but I'll take it!

cdj
03-21-2014, 08:54 PM

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Are you shitting me? :fp:

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 09:05 PM
You have got to be shitting me. They just showed the replay, he hung onto the rim for MAYBE a half a second, barely even noticeable outside of slow motion replay. That is the absolutely stupidest goddamn rule I have ever heard. :fp:

cdj
03-21-2014, 09:17 PM

I hope that is a typo and he meant "Kentucky fan" or....

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 09:25 PM

I hope that is a typo and he meant "Kentucky fan" or....

:fp: The NCAA is really becoming goddamn ridiculous with all these stupid ass rules these days.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Goddamnit VCU, you stupid goddamn choking sumbitches!

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Holy crap, Coastal Carolina leads Virginia 31-21 with 3:32 left in the first half. Still a LOT of game to go, but the 16 seed looking go so far! It would completely clusterfuck my bracket since I have Virginia making the Final Four, but to hell with it, come in #16 seed upset!!!

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
FUCK! Go fuck yourselves VCU, you goddamn worthless choking fucks!

jaymo76
03-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Damn this is a crazy day! This is by far the worst opening two days I have ever had regarding my picks... :fp:

cdj
03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
:fp: The NCAA is really becoming goddamn ridiculous with all these stupid ass rules these days.

The rule is that you cannot dunk in warmups inside the 20:00 mark. The offending KSU dunk came at 19:58. :fp: I've always known the rule existed, but am not sure I've seen it called before. Supposedly it is considered 'taunting.' :dunno:

Holy crap, Coastal Carolina leads Virginia 31-21 with 3:32 left in the first half. Still a LOT of game to go, but the 16 seed looking go so far! It would completely clusterfuck my bracket since I have Virginia making the Final Four, but to hell with it, come in #16 seed upset!!!

It seems like every year we get closer to a #16 winning. However, UVA has just went on a run to regain the lead. IMO, they are the weakest #1 seed this year and maybe in recent memory.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Damn this is a crazy day! This is by far the worst opening two days I have ever had regarding my picks... :fp:

Yeah, my blow off of steam after VCU lost helped, but yeah, still pissed. :D I still have all but one of my Sweet Sixteen teams alive, but I'm sure that's going to go to hell this weekend. And I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in my Final Four picks of Florida, Arizona, Virginia and Louisville after these first two days.

The rule is that you cannot dunk in warmups inside the 20:00 mark. The offending KSU dunk came at 19:58. :fp: I've always known the rule existed, but am not sure I've seen it called before. Supposedly it is considered 'taunting.' :dunno:

It seems like every year we get closer to a #16 winning. However, UVA has just went on a run to regain the lead. IMO, they are the weakest #1 seed this year and maybe in recent memory.

Taunting. :fp:

Still an incredible stupid rule that needs to be changed. The NCAA has so many stupid rules, trying to regulate everything they possibly can apparently.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by Virginia so far. Coastal Carolina is still hanging in there, only down three (and tied a moment ago) with 8 minutes left. They just need to settle down and take good shots and keep trading punches.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2014, 10:48 PM
And it's over. :(

Virginia is 6-8 on three point shots in the second half and has now pushed their lead out to 13 points with just 3 minutes left. Coastal Carolina put up one hell of a fight, but just couldn't keep it together long enough to have a fighting shot at the end.

The wait continues for another year to see when the 16 seeds will finally shock the basketball world.

jaymo76
03-21-2014, 11:48 PM
The ESPN app is reporting that 100% of the 11 million brackets are now officially broken!!!

CLW
03-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Conclusions from the First Round (Sorry NCAA I will NEVER call it the 2nd round). :Wichita_State: looked the best and everyone else looked like [CENSORED]. OAD has ruined college basketball as the big guns are pretty much all young/inexperienced and then the mid-majors that make the dance have several solid senior/junior laden teams. The end result is absolute chaos. The media will spin it as "parity" but the reality is the top of college basketball has come down to the land of mediocrity. We will likely NEVER see a truly great college basketball team again. That is truly sad.

SmoothPancakes
03-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Come on Dayton you sons of bitches!!! I have Kansas beating Syracuse next round, and my Sweet Sixteen picks are no longer perfect thanks to VCU, so to hell with it, COME ON DAYTON!!!

jaymo76
03-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Awesome video seeing Coach K going to the Mercer locker room and congratulating the team. Very classy move. We don't see enough of this in sports today.

SmoothPancakes
03-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh sweet Jesus, they pulled it out of their ass! Dayton is some lucky sons of bitches! Syracuse had SO MANY chances to put that one way, and Dayton tried so many times to piss it away, but in the end, Dayton is going to the Sweet Sixteen!

SmoothPancakes
03-22-2014, 09:29 PM
I realize they want to have the time on the clock correct, but damn this is destroying the flow of the Oregon-Wisconsin game. It's taken them over 3 minutes just to play 20 goddamn seconds of basketball, because they keep going to clock after practically every single play to check the clock and the correct time. Good lord.

cdj
03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Kansas loses early in the tourney again. Not surprised.

SmoothPancakes
03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Great, now all the fucking idiots get to go on about Wichita State "being an overrated team that played in a horrible conference and thus the only reason they were undefeated". :fp: To which I say they can all go fuck themselves. Kentucky just had a couple breaks go their way more often than Wichita State did today.

CLW
03-23-2014, 04:34 PM
:Kentucky: is normally a PISS POOR shooting team from 3 (32%). Today they shoot out of their minds from 3 45% and they still needed a few breaks and a non-flagrant call on an elbow to the face to win. Oh well looks like a :Louisville: :Florida: championship tilt now.

cdj
03-23-2014, 04:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjbScNrIgAAGxz0.jpg:large

CLW
03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
lmao how old is that kid 12?

skipwondah33
03-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Great, now all the fucking idiots get to go on about Wichita State "being an overrated team that played in a horrible conference and thus the only reason they were undefeated". :fp: To which I say they can all go fuck themselves. Kentucky just had a couple breaks go their way more often than Wichita State did today.I'd rather not go undefeated going into the tourney than to lose in 2nd round.

I knew they wouldn't likely go far even against a young inexperienced Kentucky team. Regardless of schedule or conference their team just didn't strike me as a team that could win the Championship against these other teams.

Almost won..but unfortunately almost only counts in hand grenades and horeshoes.

SmoothPancakes
03-23-2014, 06:41 PM
I'd rather not go undefeated going into the tourney than to lose in 2nd round.

I knew they wouldn't likely go far even against a young inexperienced Kentucky team. Regardless of schedule or conference their team just didn't strike me as a team that could win the Championship against these other teams.

Almost won..but unfortunately almost only counts in hand grenades and horeshoes.

No, they weren't going to win the championship. They could have gotten much further than the second round, but they would have lost at some point. However, it doesn't matter as anything short of them winning it all, everyone and their dog would be shitting all over their team and their season. All week long, "who have they played?" They played Tennessee, Tennessee is still playing. They beat Saint Louis, Saint Louis was still playing until yesterday afternoon. They beat Tulsa, Tulsa gave UCLA a hell of a time until the final couple minutes Friday night. They beat BYU, one of the top teams to not make the tournament. They beat some good teams.

They went undefeated in their conference, which is literally the top thing you can ask a team to do. They can't control how good or bad their conference schedule is. All they can do is play it and Wichita State came out on top in every conference game they played. Everyone stepped all over themselves to praise Florida for going undefeated in the SEC with many already wanting to just give Florida the national title before the game were even played, but yet they shit all over Wichita State for doing the exact same fucking thing in their own conference.

I'm just sick and tired of the total goddamn lack of respect that the mid-majors get, both in basketball and football. If you're not in a power conference, it's nothing but "well fuck you, you're not good enough, your conference sucks, you don't belong". It gets real fucking old after hearing it over and over and over week after week, year after year.

cdj
03-23-2014, 07:04 PM
What a cluster to end UNC/ISU. Clock operator doesn't start the clock following ISU basket, so UNC player thinks he can cross midcourt and call timeout before the clock finally goes. After review, the game ends - which is probably the right call - but given the clock operator error, I thought for sure UNC would get at least 0.4 on the clock. The Heels should have either called timeout right after the Cyclone basket or just heaved the 35-footer. It was a disaster on all fronts. Given the site, I am assuming it was the same clock operator who screwed up in the Nebraska-Baylor game on Friday.

skipwondah33
03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Smooth well according to their record they were the best team in the country.

With that in mind their region wasn't tough because every team should have been the underdog according to seeding and again their perfect record.

If they weren't look at as such then no one truly believe they were that good or that their record was anything that special.

Sure they had a "tough" bracket but Kentucky beating them wasn't an upset. Because Kentucky was expected to win based on talent blah blah.

So people either want them to get the respect they deserved for going undefeated and being recognized as the best team but then when they have to go up against a tough bracket think it's unfair to them? Statically they are better than all those teams or were they and just had the benefit of not really playing the quality of team they would face in said region.

Either way I knew they weren't beating Kentucky or winning the title. Especially considering Kentucky was coming in on what should have been an SEC title but fudged that up

cdj
03-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I thought Baylor would beat Creighton, but didn't see them winning by 30. The Big East name made people think it was really good, but Nova & Creighton were overrated most of the year (esp. Nova) along with the conference.

jaymo76
03-23-2014, 11:14 PM
So embarrassing... my wife who knows nothing about BBALL, much less college bball is owning me with her pics. It's not even close.. :fp:

steelerfan
03-24-2014, 02:21 AM
So embarrassing... my wife who knows nothing about BBALL, much less college bball is owning me with her pics. It's not even close.. :fp:

:D

JBHuskers
03-24-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm 11 out of 16 this year. That's actually better than the past couple years :D

gschwendt
03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
This is a big reason why I don't enjoy college basketball anymore...
http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-long-does-the-final-minute-of-an-ncaa-tournament-ga-1552305066?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

SmoothPancakes
03-27-2014, 04:48 PM
I watched that Oregon-Wisconsin game. That last minute was a goddamn disaster. Every single play, the refs were stopping play to look at the screen and correct time, every play was a foul, it took F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

SmoothPancakes
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
And Dayton punches their ticket to the Elite Eight! Way to go Flyers.

jaymo76
03-27-2014, 09:53 PM
And Dayton punches their ticket to the Elite Eight! Way to go Flyers.

I love how they play. I was worried they were going to blow it at the beginning of the 2nd but they held it together. I am totally pulling from them at this point.

Smooth, that's your part of the world? Have you seen they play live???

SmoothPancakes
03-27-2014, 10:20 PM
I love how they play. I was worried they were going to blow it at the beginning of the 2nd but they held it together. I am totally pulling from them at this point.

Smooth, that's your part of the world? Have you seen they play live???

Nah, I've never seen them play live. I actually hadn't seen them play this season at all until the A-10 tournament. While Dayton's only 2 1/2 hours south of me, I really never have any reason to make the trip unless I'm going down to visit my sister or something. I really don't get out of town that much anymore these days.

JBHuskers
03-28-2014, 08:20 PM
WOW....if Michigan loses this...

CLW
03-28-2014, 08:23 PM
:Michigan: pulls a :Duke: and gets "ALL" the calls by flopping

JBHuskers
03-28-2014, 08:28 PM
They shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

jello1717
03-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Looks like Georges Niang's injury finally hurt my bracket. :(

SmoothPancakes
03-28-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm half and half so far on Elite Eight. I've got three in (Arizona, Florida and Michigan), and three out (Creighton, Kansas and North Carolina). The last two remaining for me are Louisville and Virginia. Thankfully, I still have all of my Final Four intact.

CLW
03-28-2014, 08:56 PM
JUST when I thought America couldn't get any DUMBER I'm forced to watch/listen to Barkley sing?

JBHuskers
03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm 5 for 6 so far in the Elite 8. I'll be 7 for 8 with wins from Michigan State and Louisville.

CLW
03-28-2014, 09:21 PM
I hope KENSUCKY gets beat by 50.

CLW
03-28-2014, 09:53 PM
if I EVER here another :Kentucky: fan complain about :Duke: players flop I will bitch slap them in the face and cut their head off with a chain saw. that was the most ridiculous flop i've seen in awhile to get the 3rd on the Cards big.

SmoothPancakes
03-28-2014, 11:25 PM
And my bracket is officially fucked. Thanks a lot Louisville, way to suck ass in the final minutes. :fp:

skipwondah33
03-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Knew no one wanted to play this Kentucky team after that SEC tourney that should have ended with a title. At least a chance to win it anyway.

jaymo76
03-29-2014, 01:12 AM
And my bracket is officially fucked. Thanks a lot Louisville, way to suck ass in the final minutes. :fp:

Still shocked at how they ended that game... Louisville is in complete control and then falls apart in the last three minutes...

SmoothPancakes
03-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Still shocked at how they ended that game... Louisville is in complete control and then falls apart in the last three minutes...

Because God hates me. :fp: They just absolutely melted down for no reason, and of course I absolutely needed them to win no matter what. So naturally... :fp:

CLW
03-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Free throws and rebounding are important. :Louisville: could have been up 20+ in the 1st half and the kitties likely would have folded but they didn't and allowed :Kentucky: to stay in the game and pull it out in the end.

cdj
03-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Today's games not on CBS, but instead TBS = :down:

CLW
03-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Today's games not on CBS, but instead TBS = :down:

Yeah not sure why they made that call for 2 Elite 8 games.

skipwondah33
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Kentucky still on their run

Been playing some good basketball

jaymo76
03-30-2014, 09:19 PM
"So long and thanks for all the fish." With Michigan State blowing it I am offically out. What a terrible bracket for me this year.

jaymo76
03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
From here I can only really see myself cheering for :Connecticut: I can't stand Florida or Kentucky so my choices are pretty limited.

cdj
03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't care for the field much either, but I think Wisconsin or Florida will be my rooting interest. Pretty tough when the "underdog" is Kentucky. :sick:

steelerfan
03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
I don't care for the field much either, but I think Wisconsin or Florida will be my rooting interest. Pretty tough when the "underdog" is Kentucky. :sick:

No little guys were left after the Sweet 16. I lost any little bit of interest I had then.

JBHuskers
03-31-2014, 02:07 PM
As long as Florida wins at least one more game, I'll win the challenge :nod:

CLW
03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
The games were/have been competitive but the "quality" of play/basketball has been POOR. There just aren't any historically even good teams any more and I don't see any in the near future (unless several NBA prospects on one team all decide to stay for several years).

OAD has ruined college basketball and unless/until the NBA changes its requirement to match that of at least the MLB we aren't going to see much improvement in the teams. The tourny will be competitive b/c we have entered an era of mediocrity.

jaymo76
03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
The games were/have been competitive but the "quality" of play/basketball has been POOR. There just aren't any historically even good teams any more and I don't see any in the near future (unless several NBA prospects on one team all decide to stay for several years).

OAD has ruined college basketball and unless/until the NBA changes its requirement to match that of at least the MLB we aren't going to see much improvement in the teams. The tourny will be competitive b/c we have entered an era of mediocrity.

The first couple of days were very enjoyable but I agree that overall the bball has not been great. I have had less interest in the tourney this year than previous years. I really wish that players had to stay at least 2-3 years. That's why I love cheering for the small schools that are stacked with seniors.

CLW
03-31-2014, 09:13 PM
The first couple of days were very enjoyable but I agree that overall the bball has not been great. I have had less interest in the tourney this year than previous years. I really wish that players had to stay at least 2-3 years. That's why I love cheering for the small schools that are stacked with seniors.

Yeah I really hoped :Wichita_State: made a run. #1 they play really solid basketball and they play really hard and well together as a team. Unfortunately, their draw was ridiculous and they ran into a Kensucky club that was shooting LIGHTS OUT when they normally aren't a good shooting team. And they still damn near won the game.

jello1717
04-01-2014, 10:12 AM
College basketball has always been my favorite sport with college football a close 2nd (I haven't watched any NBA/NFL games in 10+ years) and I still find it incredibly entertaining. Yes I'd love to see the top talent stay longer but I don't think one and dones have hurt college basketball.

jello1717
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
As long as Florida wins at least one more game, I'll win the challenge :nod:

As always I filled my bracket with my heart (#1 team Michigan winning it all, #2 Michigan State runner up, #1 conference B1G team Wisconsin in the final 4) so I'm pretty screwed now.

I'm rooting hard for Wisconsin to win it all (again because of my B1G bias) but it would be pretty cool to see Florida beat Wisconsin in the title game (even though I loathe the university of Florida). Florida only has 2 losses this year and both of those teams are in the final 4 (which makes them pretty damned quality losses). If they were to beat Wisconsin in the title game, then Florida would have avenged both of their losses (UConn in the final 4, Wisconsin in the title game) and will have beaten every team that they played, which is pretty damned impressive.

I OU a Beatn
04-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I like the potential for that scenario. I also like the potential to beat Kentucky 4 times in the same year. I don't know which one I like more. :D

Escobar
04-02-2014, 01:15 PM
I am rooting for Kentucky since the Harrison twins went to high school five minutes down the street from me, and I would rather that Michigan have lost to the eventual title winner.

jello1717
04-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Thank you UConn for winning me the TGT bracket pool!

skipwondah33
04-05-2014, 10:29 PM
The Kentucky team no one wants to play!!

CLW
04-06-2014, 06:52 AM
The absolute worst final in the history of the Tourny as an 7 seed and 8 seed play for the championship. Yep college basketball has officially become a joke welcome to era of mediocrity.

morsdraconis
04-06-2014, 07:41 AM
The absolute worst final in the history of the Tourny as an 7 seed and 8 seed play for the championship. Yep college basketball has officially become a joke welcome to era of mediocrity.

(shrugs) CBS is still getting what they want. Two big name schools playing for it all. Ratings will be huge like always.

CLW
04-06-2014, 09:07 AM
(shrugs) CBS is still getting what they want. Two big name schools playing for it all. Ratings will be huge like always.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see a ratings DIP from previous seasons. Both :Kentucky:'s and :Connecticut: 's runs are seen as flukes by most people and both schools are disliked (Kentucky OAD) (UConnvicts being banned last year due to the joke of a program they run with "academics").

I for one will not watch a second and I've watched every national title game since I can remember.

SmoothPancakes
04-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Kentucky vs. UConn. :fp:

Fuck that, I'll be watching something else or playing Titanfall or something.

morsdraconis
04-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not watching it either, but then, I also haven't watched a single game of the tournament. Just haven't been in the mood for basketball at all this year. I think I'm really starting to just be bored of sports in general. It's already happened with football.

skipwondah33
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
No team was playing better than UCONN or Kentucky.

Reminds me of the UCONN team that won it a few years ago. They came in hot after winning the Big East. Best 2 guards in the tourney who just so happen to play the best on ball D so not surprising they won. That and the #1's really weren't that good IMO.

Kentucky probably has more talent in their starting 5 than every team they face. ..they are just young.

Will be an exciting game I'll watch

I OU a Beatn
04-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Really bummed Florida kept up their tradition of the past 4 years and playing they're worst game of the year in the most important one. Oh well. It's hard to be upset when they managed to put up a 30 win streak and 36 wins overall, especially on the heels of what the football team was able to accomplish (or lack there of). I just feel bad the seniors go out this way, especially Scottie, who had by far the worst game of his year to end his career.

I think Kentucky's size will give Connecticut problems, but I also think the ball pressure that Napier and Boatright are capable of applying will give the Harrison twins all kinds of problems. Should be a close, low scoring game that comes right down to the final seconds, IMO.

JBHuskers
04-07-2014, 09:29 AM
If I was home I'd be watching it, but I'm going to Chevelle tonight.

ram29jackson
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Wisconsin blew it,dangit.

the fab 5 lost = Kentucky better lose

steelerfan
04-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Why?

CLW
04-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Wisconsin blew it,dangit.

the fab 5 lost to one of the greatest college basketball teams of all-time (as freshmen). kentucky isn't playing even a very good team of all-time.

skipwondah33
04-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Best 2 guards in the entire tourney. And they are proving it right now

And the best two defenders at guard position...that's a helluva combo.

Shows seeding really isn't all what it's made to be and they are proving it.

ram29jackson
04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
the fab 5 lost to one of the greatest college basketball teams of all-time (as freshmen). kentucky isn't playing even a very good team of all-time.

the younger team with the most inexperience is always the underdog

skipwondah33
04-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Napier is also going for his 2nd title.

steelerfan
04-07-2014, 09:02 PM
the younger team with the most inexperience is always the underdog

Why would you say "most inexperience" instead of simply saying "least experience" or something? Bizarre.

skipwondah33
04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Yep just like last UCONN team that won title.

Guard play was just solid every game since start of tourney.

Damn near mimic from that year's team.

ram29jackson
04-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Why would you say "most inexperience" instead of simply saying "least experience" or something? Bizarre.

I'm still right.

SmoothPancakes
04-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Thank you God! If I had to listen to Kentucky and their fans win, I'd punch a baby. I may not have cared about either team or the game itself, but UConn winning was definitely preferable.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass.

CLW
04-08-2014, 06:22 AM
:Connecticut: has now won two titles in the last 4 years and both were flukes in that they were not even a Top 10 team over the course of the season. Get hot at the right time and you have a shot the era of mediocrity.

skipwondah33
04-08-2014, 07:31 AM
:Connecticut: has now won two titles in the last 4 years and both were flukes in that they were not even a Top 10 team over the course of the season. Get hot at the right time and you have a shot the era of mediocrity.Isn't that always how it is?

Just goes to show you Preseason Polls, rankings, seeding and all that other crap is useless....Butler anyone?

That is why they always say it's a new season when the tourney starts. Everyone has the same record no matter the seeding and it's what you do then.

When it boils down to it no team had a better 1 and 2 Guard, no 1 and 2 Guard played better D, and as Shaq once put it...their "Others" stepped up and made plays.

I'm sure if Duke won it would have been the greatest feat to date....but they couldn't play a lick of Defense in the era of mediocrity to save their life.

CLW
04-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Isn't that always how it is?

No. Until recently, it was RARE when a team outside the Top 10 during the season won the championship.

Since the 64 team era (85) the following years have had "fluke" champions:

85 - 8 - Villanova ("Perfect Game")
88 - 6 - Kansas ("Danny And The Miracles")
89 - 3 - Michigan (The Coach was actually fired before the tourny and Fischer was an interim head coach)
97 - 4 (Arizona/Simon stops Kentucky from repeating)
03 - 3 (Carmello Anthony goes on tear)
06 - 3 (Florida's fluke run that led to an extra title they defended in 07)
11 - 3 (Kemba Walker goes on tear for fluke title)
14 - 7 (UConn fluke title #2)

4 times in 30 years the champion has been outside a Top 3 seed and only 8 times has it come outside a 1 or 2 seed. All 8 champions weren't even close to being the best team that given season and all were considered "Flukes". Half of the "Fluke" Champions have come in the last 12 seasons. Compare that with the 1990s when only 1 "fluke" Champion occurred.

souljahbill
04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
That's the nature on 1-and-done tournaments. How many times have wildcard teams won Super Bowls? If the NBA was 1-and-done, the Sixers would've won the NBA championship the year the Lakers swept everybody but the Sixers.