PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Lego Video Games

Rudy
03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
I’ve played and watched a lot of Lego video games with my kids. Some of have been fantastic with many being fun. Most use the same formula with a few twists. The original games did not have screen tearing so you had to share the same screen with your co-op partner. Later games had screen tearing, open world hubs and eventually real voice acting instead of grunts. All games have humour and puzzles and smashing. I don’t care about online so that component does not factor into the score. I will list the PS3 Metacritic score for all the Lego games below (Wii U for City).

Personally my favourite Lego games are the ones based on movies. Reliving the scenes while you play, the cut scenes and music are the best parts of the game. These games were meant for co-op so Lego City Undercover will take a huge hit in my rankings. If you weren’t based on a movie you take a hit as well. Lastly the open world hubs may be enjoyable for those looking for a less linear approach and want that open world feel but after a while they feel tedious. I prefer the simple hub where I go to the board I want to play. Lastly, games that featured driving boards where you were always in a car or boat may get downgraded. Those sections aren’t as much fun imo.

THE ELITE

1. Lego Indiana Jones 1 (M.77).
The original was the first Lego game we ever played and it holds a dear place in my heart within the Lego universe. Perhaps nostalgia is over-rating this game but it starts at #1. Being able to replay the original trilogy was a blast and the Indy character himself along with his whip were a blast. One of the best things about this game was the hunt for hidden areas that had treasure chests and not all of these hidden areas were only accessible in free play. I think this game is still the best when it comes to exploring the environment in search for things rather than simply requiring special abilities to capture it all.

2. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (M.73).
This game was an absolute blast. It was great to replay the movies and the huge ensemble cast with a great variety of abilities was a huge hit. It was great having more than two characters available in boards as well. This game was fresh and fun the whole way through. An absolute must buy for Pirates fans. A small hub with a traditional interface to access the game was nice.

3. Lego Lord of the Rings (M.82).
This game is very similar to Lego Pirates and I’d rank it above Pirates if it wasn’t for the open world hub. With a huge cast of characters (better than Pirates) with many unique abilities at your disposal the game is always fresh and enjoyable. Along with truly great cut scenes, real voices and dialogue from the movies, and great boards to play this game is a no-brainer for LOTR fans. There are tons of loveable characters in LOTR that make it great and the movie tie-ins are top notch. At times you had more than two characters including a handful of co-op sections where you get split up and tackle separate areas. It gets downgraded though for an open world hub. Parts of the hub are great and set off movie scenes like the lighting of the beacons. There are lots of cool things to do and collect but it’s also very large and travelling to all the locations can be tedious. Tons of collectibles though.

THE NORMAL LEGO EXPERIENCE

4. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (M.82).
We have only begun this game. Unfortunately my son isn’t as in to super heroes and so we have been sidetracked and haven’t gotten back to it. A ton of super heroes are in this game. I loved the mini boss fight between Hulk and Abomination early on. Seeing Wolverine in the game was fun. There is no movie tie-in so this game has more of a mindless fun aspect but I need to play it more. I certainly enjoyed what we played so far.

5. Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga (M.80).
This encompassed the first six movies and was fun. I love movie tie-ins and I loved Star Wars but for some reason this game just didn’t feel as fun as Lego Pirates or LOTR. It had a lot going for it but the characters weren’t as diverse and using the force wasn’t as fun.

6. Lego Batman 1 (M.75) & 2 (M.81).
I did not enjoy these games as much as others and I can’t remember the differences so I’ll just lump them together. No movie tie-in, overly dark and overly reliant on different suits. Flying suit, magnet suits, etc. Batman uses a different utility belt and doesn’t change into new suits every other day in the comics or movies! The driving boards were not a favourite of mine.

7. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (M.76)
We never finished this game. It was Star Wars but based off the animated show. Not bad but it didn’t hold our interests. My kids just aren’t Star Wars fans like I was.

THE WEAK

8. Lego Indiana Jones 2 (M.70).
This game disappointed. It was the first game to use an open world hub and while interesting at first it didn’t add to the experience and actually made the game worse. It had the movie tie-ins including the lousy fourth movie but it just wasn’t nearly as fun as the first game.

9. Lego City Undercover (M.80 Wii U only).
Some will cringe with this low ranking but let me explain. There is no movie tie in or cool characters. The entire game is based off of Lego City which isn’t that exciting for me. The entire game is an open world hub (it’s huge!) almost resembling a GTA style game where you pick your missions although they are still linear. That’s another demerit. But mostly this game had NO CO-OP! What were you thinking?! Lego games are best played together and our family quit playing this early on because we didn’t find it that interesting and couldn’t play it together.

THE AWFUL

10. Lego Harry Potter 1 (years 1-4 M.79) & 2 (years 5-7 M.76).
We are not Harry Potter fans or haters and have only seen a couple movies which we did like although didn’t love. We got the first game because we have generally liked all the Lego games but this game was a snoozefest. I couldn’t believe how boring it was. A lot of what you have to do requires the use of your wand and magic which was uber boringly done. Unless you are huge Potter fans I suggest avoid at all costs.

INCOMPLETE/HAVEN’T PLAYED

My family appears burnt out on the Lego games now. I’m not sure how many more we will get but these games may peak our interest.

Lego Movie Videogame (M.82): We enjoyed the movie so this could be fun.
Lego Hobbit (NA): We loved Lego LOTR but the cast of characters is MUCH better than what is offered in the Hobbit. The movies were better too so I don’t know how much we would love this game, especially since it’s only based on the first two movies. It should have waited for the trilogy to be completed.

psuexv
03-16-2014, 10:08 AM
I need to get some of these. My oldest is just starting to get into Legos and I think he'd really dig these. Too bad the Batman ones aren't that good, he loves Batman

Rudy
03-16-2014, 11:29 AM
So much of these games are about liking the genre. My nephew loved the Batman ones and the second one got good reviews. These are my personal feelings. The Batman ones have no ties to movies so every board is complete fiction. Your kids probably won't care. If they love Batman then definitely pick it up.

jaymo76
03-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Great post Rudy! Right now my almost 5 year old loves lego and is starting to get into video games. As a family we are playing lego marvel superheros and it's a blast. We have logged over 22 hours in the last few weeks. I am really enjoying it, especially the open world. My oldest son loves the lego movie and walks around the house singing "everything is awesome." For his birthday he has asked for the lego movie video game. I am looking forward to it as well.

jaymo76
03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Oops... forgot to mention my top three.

1. Lego Star Wars: the complete saga
*** Star Wars and lego cannot go wrong (just wish they would make lego Star Trek)
2. Lego Marvel Superheroes
3. Indiana Jones part 2
*** I loved the open world design / plus this was the first lego game I played with my wife :)

Rudy
03-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Lego Star Trek could be fun. If you like Pirates or LOTR you will love those games. Hopefully my kids will gt back into Lego Marvel. We watched the LOTR movies over Christmas and are replaying that game trying to get the treasures. There are 180 and my kids raced through the first time. I swear they had less than 40 so I started going through them myself as I missed a lot of the boards the first time and wanted to collect them. So now they are joining me and taking over. My son prefers racing thru and does not do a good job unfortunately.

Who has played the Potter ones? If you loved the movies/books did you like the games? I wad bored out of my skull.

WolverineJay
03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
My 4 year old absolutely loves the Lego games(he's been playing games since he turned 2 with Spider-man Shattered Dimensions). He has finished Lego batman, Lego batman 2 (His favorite), and Lego Marvel (his 2nd favorite). He also owns Lego LOTR, but it has characters he cares so little about he hardly plays it. He got Lego Star Wars complete saga for xmas but has only played it once because he prefers Lego Marvel which he also got for xmas.

I don't have a top 5 but I will say I tolerate all of them.

My son's top 5:
1.Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (He loves Batman and the Joker so this game was perfect as far as he is concerned)
2.Lego Marvel Super Heroes (He likes to play for Deadpool, Iron Patriot, Spider-Man, Venom, and Carnage)
3.Lego Batman (The lighting in the game is really dark and characters are limited, but my son likes the bad guy missions in this one)
4.Lego LOTR (He only played it after watching the movies, now it collects dust)
5.Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Played it once and liked playing with C3PO, but lighting is really dark compared to newer Lego games)

jaymo76
03-16-2014, 04:57 PM
I was actually watching some youtube gameplay of Lego Pirates of the Carib... gotta say, that game looks pretty sweet. If I see it on sale I will pick it up for the family. Too bad it's not on the 4 though.

Rudy
03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
I almost feel dumb buying a Lego game right away since they drop in price so fast. They usually do two video games per year and they only do them based on their toy lineup. So if no star Trek Lego then no video game. They are coming out with a Ghostbusters line and even Simpson's. I'm sure a Ghostbusters game will come out eventually.

http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2014/02/IMG_2999-640x480.jpg

JBHuskers
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
I need to get some of these. My oldest is just starting to get into Legos and I think he'd really dig these. Too bad the Batman ones aren't that good, he loves Batman

If you're a fan of Batman, they're fine. I liked them.

Rudy
03-23-2014, 05:06 AM
I've still been playing a lot of the Lego LOTR and I must say the hub is pretty incredible. Instead of viewing it as a nuisance they did this one very well. I think it would have been nice to let you ride a horse around the world but the fast travel map stones make travel easy and there is SO much to do and collect in each of the locations besides the actual boards you can enter. You need a lot of money to unlock and buy all the extra characters.

This may actually be the best Lego game of all time IF you like the LOTR movies/books. If you don't know the characters and movies a lot of this may be overwhelming and/or you simply may not care about all the people. So many different and unique characters with unique abilities. You can add a lot of the abilities to other characters by unlocking designs and building tools at the blacksmith in Bree. I didn't even realize that and neither did my kids. So we've built a lot of cool things and they are often necessary to fully complete the free play boards. That amount of integration may frustrate some people but this game is very deep with a ton of stuff to do.

jaymo76
03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Pretty sure I will be picking up Lego Hobbitt for the PS4. My son was watching some video footage and called me over. It looks pretty good IMO.

Rudy
03-25-2014, 04:35 AM
Pretty sure I will be picking up Lego Hobbitt for the PS4. My son was watching some video footage and called me over. It looks pretty good IMO.

I don't understand releasing Lego Hobbitt this year though. Why not wait for all three movies to be done and base it on all of them?

souljahbill
03-31-2014, 06:24 AM
I just ordered a Wii U Pro Controller and Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Gonna play through the game with the Mrs.

jaymo76
03-31-2014, 07:40 PM
I just ordered a Wii U Pro Controller and Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Gonna play through the game with the Mrs.

The Mrs and I as well as my oldest son have put 50+ hours into this game and still have only unlocked 45% of the trophies. We finished all the mssions but there is so, so much stuff to do and find. I am now oficially putting it as the #1 lego game I have ever played. It really is good family fun.

Rudy
03-31-2014, 08:02 PM
The Lego games have become collectable crazed games. They are very long if you want to trophy whore. I do like to get as many treasures/mini-kits I can get so I want to do the freeplay on every board. My son does not share the desire to smash and explore everything. He races too much and we miss a lot. My daughter is much better at hunting for hidden stuff.

I'm trying to whore out on LOTR. I definitely won't plat the game but I have a lot.

jaymo76
04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Well, we have officially poured over 100 hours into Lego Marvel Superheroes. We have done all the missions but still have 50 gold bricks to find plus another couple of items. After all of the time put in, I am now proclaiming this the best lego game of all time. Trophy wise I think we are at over 60% and come hell or high water we will finish this game.

jaymo76
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
For my oldest son's birthday we picked him up the Lego Movie Video Game. It's a solid game and a lot of fun but it is IMO a huge step-back from the greatness of the superhero game. It feels very much like the older gen versions of the game and the open worlds are miniscule. My son loves it but we will finish this game pretty quickly and then I suspect he will go back to marvel. The game is fun but unless you love the movie it is kind of hard to justify spending $59.99. I'm not sure the bang for the buck is there.

My son was also given Lego City Undercover on the WiiU. At this point he hasn't played the game too much but I think he will really like it as it has a massive open world and a ton of missions and side missions. The huge downside is that for some reason the game in single player. This design decision makes no sense IMO. The best part of lego games is playing as a family. If my little guy cannot do the missions by himself he may not be willing to play this game. I wish the game were also on ps4 as I find it is a lot more challenging to use the big WiiU controller to drive etc.

Having seen some of the video for the Lego Hobbit I really want to pick it up. However, no time or money right now so maybe in the summer or fall this game will be on my radar...

jaymo76
04-13-2014, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClgqpHfIKH4

Here's a great walk through of the first section of Hobbit (on the 1). He has all of the missions posted but I don't want to spoil it. The guy is a little annoying but it looks like a long and enjoyable game.

Rudy
04-13-2014, 03:01 PM
We just got the platinum on Lego LOTR. First plat ever! Took almost 60 hours. The kids are finally getting into Lego Marvel and are having fun screwing around in the open world. For now I think LOTR has moved to #1 for me. I don't think the Hobbit will be as good since the characters aren't as diverse or interesting. I also think having to pay more for the third movie as DLC is annoying.

Rudy
04-14-2014, 04:38 AM
The Lego Hobbit game is not getting great reviews. The biggest problem is the lack of distinct characters. LOTR had a ton of different and unique characters with different abilities AND they made sense when compared to the movie. The Hobbit is stuck with a dozen dwarves and tries to make them all unique but struggled at it. Plus you have to pay DLC to get the third movie out later this year. Cash grab. Might as well wait for the game to drop to half price before picking it up then.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/14/lego-the-hobbit-review-there-and-back-again-and-again-4698244/
http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/lego-the-hobbit/review/

souljahbill
04-14-2014, 05:16 AM
To go from Batman and Iron Man to Bilbo Baggins is kind of a letdown.

Rudy
04-14-2014, 03:48 PM
To go from Batman and Iron Man to Bilbo Baggins is kind of a letdown.

Lol. Very true. I never liked using a Hobbit unless I had to.

Rudy
10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
The kids were playing Lego Hobbit and I like the help menu things in the game. The characters have different abilities but it was hard for me to tell the dwarves apart. I remember it looking good on the PS3 and I don't know if it looks much different on the PS4. I was disappointed to seeing a poor draw in rate. On the PS3 things in the background would just pop up because of a lack of memory. Well there is no excuse for that on the PS4 and yet I see the same thing. I wonder if any of the new Lego games will actually take advantage of next gen power. I'd love to see up to 4 player co-op on them - at least in freeplay.

Lego Marvel PS4 was only $20 on Amazon but my kids rarely played it when we had it on the PS3. I don't think I'll pick it up again.

souljahbill
01-11-2015, 04:04 PM
I got Lego City Undercover for Wii U and I'm loving it far more than the only other Lego game I've played, Lego Marvel.

jaymo76
01-11-2015, 07:43 PM
I got Lego City Undercover for Wii U and I'm loving it far more than the only other Lego game I've played, Lego Marvel.

Yes it's an awesome game but sadly only on wiiU and only single player. If this was two player my boys would never leave the couch. The map is absolutely huge and the story is pretty compelling. I am not a fan of driving in the game though. It is pretty slow to respond to say the least

Rudy
01-11-2015, 10:36 PM
I felt it was a massive mistake to only be a one player game on the wii u. Really hurt it for my kids.

souljahbill
01-12-2015, 05:41 AM
As someone that doesn't have children, I think LCU is better because it's SP. In Lego Marvel, I wasn't a fan of having to rotate between multiple characters in order to solve puzzles. I like having 1 guy having all the skills (once they're unlocked, that is). Driving is pretty meh but it's not bad enough to bother me. Lego Marvel is the only other Lego game I've played and most people consider to be the best one. I'm liking LCU much more.