PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 25 Video Games of All-Time

CLW
02-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Saw this article over at IGN and I'll have to think about this a bit before posting my list but here was Moriarty's:

Mega Man 3
Wild Arms
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VI
Super Mario World
The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Castlevania III
Mega Man 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Tales of Destiny
Fallout New Vegas
Final Fantasy Tactics
Super Mario Bros. 3
Bio Shock
Dead Space
Resistance 3
ActRaiser
Catherine
Kid Icarus
Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 2
Civ V
Ninja Gaiden
Spec Ops The Line

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/colin-moriartys-top-25-games-of-all-time?page=5

CLW
02-07-2014, 05:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twS5hJBm-Jg

CLW
02-07-2014, 05:11 PM
So here is my list:

jaymo76
02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Saw this article over at IGN and I'll have to think about this a bit before posting my list but here was Moriarty's:

Mega Man 3
Wild Arms
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VI
Super Mario World
The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Castlevania III
Mega Man 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Tales of Destiny
Fallout New Vegas
Final Fantasy Tactics
Super Mario Bros. 3
Bio Shock
Dead Space
Resistance 3
ActRaiser
Catherine
Kid Icarus
Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 2
Civ V
Ninja Gaiden
Spec Ops The Line

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/colin-moriartys-top-25-games-of-all-time?page=5

How is Tecmo Super Bowl not on that list???

souljahbill
02-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I'll come back to this later when I have a list made

JBHuskers
02-09-2014, 10:52 PM
I'll come back to this later when I have a list made

Same. I have a few ideas how it'll shape.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bdoughty
02-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Same. I have a few ideas how it'll shape.

I think we all have some ideas of how it will shape up.

http://i.imgur.com/zXrFvUq.jpg

bdoughty
02-09-2014, 11:48 PM
I would do the list but I would leave out or misplace too many games. So many years playing, too many great games to attempt a list. I spent countless hours with Atari 2600 games from my youth like Missile Command, Frogger, Pitfall, Bezerk, River Raid, etc. I would have no clue where to fit them in with games from my teenage years (NES/Genesis) and on and on.

oweb26
02-10-2014, 06:06 AM
I would do the list but I would leave out or misplace too many games. So many years playing, too many great games to attempt a list. I spent countless hours with Atari 2600 games from my youth like Missile Command, Frogger, Pitfall, Bezerk, River Raid, etc. I would have no clue where to fit them in with games from my teenage years (NES/Genesis) and on and on.

Exactly, I never attempt this kind of list

Gimme a top 5, I think 25 is too many and pick a damn generation.

CLW
02-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Greg Miller's Top 10 of All-Time

10 Ghostbusters
9 The Death and Return of Superman
8 Lumines
7 Mario Kart: Double Dash
6 Infamous
5 Patapon 2
4 Uncharted 3
3 Super Mario World
2 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
1 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/greg-millers-top-10-games-of-all-time

CLW
02-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Justin Davis' Top 10:

10. Uncharted 2
9. Dwarf Fortress
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Walker
7. Minecraft
6. Portal 2
5. Super Monkey Ball / Super Monkey Ball 2
4. Advance Wars / Advance Wars 2
3. Super Mario 64
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
1. Super Metroid

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/justin-daviss-favorite-games-of-all-time?page=2

I OU a Beatn
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Greg Miller's Top 10 of All-Time

10 Ghostbusters
9 The Death and Return of Superman
8 Lumines
7 Mario Kart: Double Dash
6 Infamous
5 Patapon 2
4 Uncharted 3
3 Super Mario World
2 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
1 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/greg-millers-top-10-games-of-all-time

Always thought this guy has no idea what he was talking about. Putting Uncharted 3 in his top 3 above Uncharted 2 only confirms it.

CLW
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Daemon Hatfield's Top 36 Games of all-time

36. Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Nintendo DS, 2005

35. Banjo-Kazooie - N64, 1998

34. Dead Space - 360/PS3/PC, 2008

33. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - PS2, 2003

32. DoDonPachi - Arcade, 1997

31. Donkey Kong - Game Boy, 1994

30. Donkey Kong Jr. - Arcade, 1982

29. Einhander - PS1, 1998

28. Final Fantasy Tactics - PS1, 1998

27. Half-Life 2 - Multiple, 2004

26. Ikari Warriors - Multiple, 1986

25. Limbo - Multiple, 2010

24. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - N64, 2000

23. Mega Man 2 - NES, 1989

22. Metroid Prime - Gamecube, 2002

21. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! - NES, 1987

20. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time - N64, 1998

19. Perfect Dark - N64, 2000

18. Portal 2 - Multiple, 2011

17. Puyo Puyo - Multiple, 1991

16. Puzzle Bobble - Multiple, 1994

15. Puzzle Quest - Multiple, 2007

14. Red Dead Redemption - 360/PS3, 2010

13. Resident Evil Gamecube Remake - Gamecube, 2002

12. Rival Schools - PS1, 1998

11. Shadow of the Colossus - PS2, 2005

10. Shadowgate - NES, 1989

9. Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES, 1988

8. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES, 1990

7. Super Mario World - SNES, 1991

6. Super Metroid - SNES, 1994

5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1, 1997

4. Tomb Raider - Multiple, 2013

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Multiple, 2000

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Multiple, 2002

1. Super Mario 64 - N64, 1996

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/daemon-hatfields-top-36-games-of-all-time?page=4

CLW
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Steve Butt's Favorite Games

10. Combat Mission II: Barbarossa to Berlin, PC, 2002

9. Neverwinter Nights, PC, 2002

8. Rome Total War, PC, 2004

7. Crimson Skies, PC, 2000

6. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, PC, 2002

5. XCOM Enemy Unknown, PC, 1994

4. Battlefield 1942, PC, 2002

3. Star Wars TIE Fighter, PC, 1994

2. Sid Meier's Pirates, PC, 2004

1. Civilization IV, PC, 2005

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/steve-butts-favorite-games-ever

CLW
02-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Ryan McCaffrey's Top 50 Games of All TimeMaking the impossible choices.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/ryan-mccaffreys-top-50-games-of-all-time

CLW
02-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Mitch Dyer's Favorite Games of All TimeThe best in stealth, open-world FPS, and a dead genre.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/mitch-dyers-favorite-games-of-all-time?abthid=52fbeb004ab8dd394f00002b

JBHuskers
02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
I went to start doing my list and just typing it out on here by console. I got to about a dozen on the NES alone and gave up :D I'll try again soon.

CLW
02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
I went to start doing my list and just typing it out on here by console. I got to about a dozen on the NES alone and gave up :D I'll try again soon.

Yeah same here. I need to just sit down and do it. The problem is comparing games across the generations. Obviously, games are better graphically, etc... now than the Intellivision/NES days but I still enjoyed myself more with many of those games than I do with PS4 games now.

I think I'll just try to think of a system counting in hours played and just total enjoyment out of the game for the time played.

JBHuskers
02-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I guess I'll start listing shit out, and go from there :D no particular order....

NES:

Tecmo Bowl
Super Tecmo Bowl
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Castlevania
Gauntlet
Contra

Dragon Warrior
Final Fantasy
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 2

SNES:

Earthbound
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Baseball
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Donkey Kong Country

Chrono Trigger
F-Zero
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam
NHL '94

Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Mario All-Stars
Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past

Nintendo 64:

Goldeneye
Wrestlemania 2000
Mario Kart 64

PS1:

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2

I'll work on the PS games later. I also owned a Game Boy, but nothing really stood out to me on that.

CLW
02-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah I think with a series I may limit it to just the best of the series (i.e. I'll only pick one UC game and one Mario Bros. etc...) Or maybe not I guess I'll just see how it goes.

JBHuskers
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
It'll be hard to just name one Mario game, but for most, I agree.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
02-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Top 5 games of all time, spanning all consoles:

#1 - Super Mario Brothers 3
#2 - Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
#3 - Final Fantasy 2/4
#4 - Doom
#5 - Sim City

Everything else is meaningless.

CLW
02-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Wow I just did my initial list and I have 40 games on the list. :smh: this is gonna be tough getting it down to 25.

CLW
02-12-2014, 10:06 PM
CLW's Top 25 Video Games of All-time with the system I owned/played the game on the year it was released and a brief explanation for each title:

25. R.C. Pro-Am - NES - 1988

I played the living hell out of this game. It was just such a fun game to play. Friends would come over for sleep overs and we would play this one late into the night/morning trying to best each other's score. If only it had multi-player racing it would have been much higher on the list.

24. Heavy Rain - PS3 - 2010

I rented this one from GameFly as it normally wouldn't have been a game I would have ever have tried otherwise. I ended up loving it to death and played through until I got a legit :Plat: I loved the story and loved getting the different perspectives from the story's main characters.

23. Night Trap - Sega CD - 1992

I actually didn't own this one but my older cousins did. I fell in love with this game and my cousins and I literally played the game and wrote down each and every second of the video and exactly when we needed to hit the trap door to catch the bad guys. This game is also historically important due to it eventually getting "banned" (pulled from the shelves) and being one of the games leading the Federal Government to create the ESRB rating games due to a "rape" scene.

22. NHL 94 - Sega Genesis - 1993

I'm not a big hockey guy but this game was just such a joy to play. This was another title built for the sleepover. Multiple friends would come over and we would pick teams and go through the playoffs with the best of 7 series until the champion was crowned.

21. RBI Baseball - NES - 1988

Just a classic game on the NES. Like so.... many of the early video game memories involve having a bunch of friends over for a sleep over or during the summer we would play this game all the time drawing up tournament brackets.

20. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - PS2 - 2002

This one came out just as I was starting law school and got me into 3rd person shooters. Lots of post studying late nights with this one on the PS2. It also got me into online gaming and got me to buy the PS2 network adapter.

19. Mega Man 3 - NES - 1990

I owned all of this series on the NES and loved them when I was a kid. Lots of time playing through these platformers on NES (1-6). However, 3 sticks out in my mind as my favorite in the series.

18. Goal! - NES - 1989

Playing soccer from Kindergarten all the way up through high school there was allot of soccer video game playing with buddies. However, this one probably got the most playing time as we just loved controlling teams (some times together and sometimes against each other) trying to win the World Cup.

17. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - PS3 - 2007

Naughty Dog's 1st classic. Sadly, I came to this party late (thanks GameFly) but I have enjoyed every second of every one of these in this series (more to come on that later.....). Just revived my enjoyment of the 3rd person shooter.

16. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out - NES - 1987

Just a classic video game. Spent hours upon hours as a kid trying to memorize the patterns of each boxer and learning the tricks to the quick K.O.s. Such a fun time for such a simple game.

15. Super Mario Bros. - NES - 1985

It wasn't my first videogame (My father owned an Intellivision and Atari adapter in the late 70s early 80s) but this was MY first game. Just a classic that probably saved the video game industry and allowed it to develop to where it is today.

14. MVP Baseball 2004 - PS2 - 2004

Another game that I just played the living hell out of towards the end of my run in law school. I don't think this one is as good as some of the The Show games in terms of quality but unfortunately I just don't have the time that I did for this one so MVP Baseball sticks in my mind as my favorite baseball game of all-time.

13. College Slam - SNES/Sega Genesis - 1996

I got hooked on NBA Jam at the Arcade in the local mall. My mom would drop me off while she shopped and I would play and watch others play this game in the arcade until it was time to go back home. Then the game came out on Sega Genises and SNES and obviously it turned into nothing but tournaments between budies. However, college basketball always has been and always will be my favorite sport. When this game came out my buddies and I literally did nothing but play this game. I would take my :Duke: squad and just try to beat the living hell out of :Kentucky: We would draw up tournaments and just play for hours on end.

12. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES - 1990

I didn't enjoy 2 all that much but 3 re-kindled my love for Mario and I played this game a ton until I got the SNES

11. Golden Eye 007 - N64 - 1997

Yep a FSP makes my list. Why? Well believe it or not I used to be able to play them without getting sick. This game was just a classic multiplayer experience. I remember many all of the cousins getting together during Thanksgiving and/or Christmas and just playing this for hours on end. Soo..... many different formats to go with just a classic game. Then one day for no apparent reason I got :sick: playing with a buddy and I've never been able to play a FPS since. :smh:

10. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - PS3 - 2011

The most recent UC checks in at #10. This was actually the first UC game I bought as I came late to the party and started with UC2 and UC1 as rentals. Really enjoyed this one and CANNOT wait for UC4.

9. Mario Kart 64 - N64 - 1997

This and Golden Eye were routinely played by family friends and even some girls in late high school early college. Fun times playing this one for several years.

8. Coach K College Basketball - Sega Genesis - 1995

Another college basketball game on the list but when you grow up following college hoops the video games for the sport tend to stick out in your mind. This one wasn't very deep but it didn't need to be for me and my friends. Just a ton of tournaments set up. This one was HUGE for me b/c it was the first real college basketball game.

7. WWF Wrestlemania 2000 - N64 - 1999

I really debated whether to include this or WCW/nWo Revenge on my list. Both got a TON of playing time in college and while WCW/nWo should get credit for being first Wrestlemania 2000 had a "better" roster (all of my friends were WWF only guys in the Monday Night Wars) so the WWF game gets the nod here and checks in at #7. Soo..... many single player matchups and a made up "TWO" (Taco World Order) Federation that all of the guys at work were in and would come over and play before/after WWF ppvs in college.

6. NCAA Football 04 - PS2 - 2003

Simply the peak of the NCAA series. Added online gameplay which between it and SOCOM I'm not sure how I ever slept in law school. Good lord I must have played 30 seasons in dynasty mode and 700+ games online. The ULM offensive playbook and Mike Vick cheese online shall live on forever.

5. Super Mario World - SNES - 1990

Was really stunned when I got the SNES for Christmas under my tree in 1990. 3 was great but Yoshi sets SMW over the top for the best Mario game of all-time for me.

4. College Hoops 2K8 - PS3 - 2007

The end of the excellent 2K College Hoops series. The Legacy Mode and NCAA Selection and Pre-Season shows are still something EA has NEVER accomplished presentation wise in any of its titles. I'd personally go take out Ed O'Bannon et al. right now if I could simply have 2K14 on my PS4 with it being nothing but a port and accurate college rosters that I could add the names for with the same legacy mode with just improve graphics on the presentation. Sadly, we won't see this series come back unless/until the NCAA collapses and/or they cave and allow players to get paid.

3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS3 - 2009

IMHO the best in the UC series to date was also the first UC game I ever played thanks to the fine folks at GameFly. I had heard good things about the game but honestly hadn't really played a 3rd person shooter (or many games other than sports games) in a few years until I started renting games at GameFly. After renting/playing UC2 and UC1 I'm a Day 1 purchase of every Naughty Dog game until they throw out a serious dud which I just don't see happening any time soon.

2. The Last of Us - PS3 - 2013

I really thought long and hard about putting it at #1 on my all-time list. I enjoyed this game's story more than any other game I've ever played in history and it's not even close.

1. Tecmo Super Bowl - NES - 1991

Of all the games I have played in my life this one may actually have logged the most hours. IF we were just comparing single game experiences this game wouldn't have been rated so highly. However, this was the game my buddies growing up played together so....... many times in seasons controlling multiple teams or just tournaments we drew up ourselves. Church lock ins, sleep overs, weekends, summers, this game got played all the time for hours and for years after its release. The game is just so iconic to any sports gamer its just hard to not rank this one #1.

Rudy
02-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Always thought this guy has no idea what he was talking about. Putting Uncharted 3 in his top 3 above Uncharted 2 only confirms it.

Agreed. UC3 was a disappointment. Does not belong in any Top 10 list imo.

This stuff is way too hard but I find it funny that NO sports games are being listed. No way I could make a Top 25 list without having those on there. Making these types of lists is just incredibly hard to impossible for me.

JBHuskers
02-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Good list CLW.

CLW
02-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Good list CLW.

Its not a good list it is THE List. Just end the thread NOW! :nod:

JBHuskers
02-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Its not a good list it is THE List. Just end the thread NOW! :nod:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pOFTKvURi2U/UWgCtHHgj-I/AAAAAAAAJVg/xrNIkOIOI7Q/daniel-bryan-NO.jpg

SmoothPancakes
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm not even going to try making a list. I didn't even really seriously get into gaming until I got a PS1 for Christmas one year as a kid as a surprise present. I was so out of touch with gaming at the time, at first I didn't even know what the hell it was. :D

Did play some things at friends houses, I distinctly remember Golden Eye and some of the other N64 classics. As for me, pretty much anything on my list would be exclusively PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC.