PDA

View Full Version : VGX 2013 - December 7, 2013 (Pre-show begins at 4:45 PM CT)

cdj
12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
gametrailers

VGX will be live streamed for three-hours on Saturday, December 7, beginning at 6:00 PM ET / 3:00 PM PT. Spike TV will also air highlights of the show as "VGX Replay" on Monday, December 9 at midnight. The actual full awards show will not be televised, only streamed.

Let us know your picks for each category and your thoughts on the show.

This nominations for this year's Spike VGX (formerly Spike TV) Awards are in, lead by big hits like BioShock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5, The Last of Us and Tomb Raider.

Indeed, the shortlist for Game of the Year, which includes critical and commercial darlings The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, GTA 5, Tomb Raider and Super Mario 3D World is somewhat predictable, but for good reason. Grand Theft Auto 5 leads in the overall nomination numbers with nine, followed by BioShock Infinite with eight, The Last of Us with seven and Tomb Raider with five. The Fullbright Company's Gone Home has the biggest indie presence, nominated for Best Independent Game and Best PC game, while Fullbright itself nabbed a nomination for Studio of the Year.

This year's Spike VGX will be live-streamed online for three hours on December 7, kicking off at 6pm ET/3pm PT. The show will have a slightly different format than usual, with a stronger focus on interviews and next-gen demos, but of course all the usual world-premiere game trailers will be present and accounted for.

Check out the full list of nominations & schedule below, and head to Spike's website (http://www.spike.com/vgx/about) for any additional streaming details.

SCHEDULE

Pre-play
Thief - The VGX Preshow kicks off with a trip to Eidos Montreal to get a look at the next installment of the Thief franchise.

Hour One
VGX Start - The big show kicks off as hosts Joel McHale and Geoff Keighley take us through what kind of surprises are in store at VGX.
World Premiere - We can't divulge all of our secrets, but trust us, you're going to love this one.
Viral - What will video games be like in the future? The gang at Smosh reveal all at VGX.
World Premiere - Get a Tomb Raider announcement, exclusively at VGX.
Talk - Camilla Luddington, the voice behind Lara Croft, appears at VGX.
Award - We're revealing the winner of either Best Action Adventure or Best Sports Game categiories. You tell us which you want to see.
Play - Nintendo of America's fearless leader, Reggie Fils-Aime takes the stage for a demo.
Award - VGX honors another of this year's best games.
World Premiere - QUANTUM BREAK REVEALED: VGX is the only place you can get a look into the world of Remedy's next epic title.
Talk - Remedy's Oskari Hakkien stops by VGX to take you deeper inside Quantum Break.
World Premiere - Another surprise Bonus World Premiere

Hour Two
World Premiere - SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH WORLD PREMIERE - Cartman, Kyle, Stan, and Kenny set out on their most epic journey ever.
Award - Game of the Year Award: The creators of South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, award this year's top honors.
Viral - Mega 64 Rocco and Shawn thought we left some awards out, so they filled in some of the gaps.
World Premiere - Destiny Arrives at VGX: Bungie's latest title shines in this exclusive premiere.
Culture - VICE'S MOTHERBOARD TAKES ON DONKEY KONG: Go behind the scenes and see the biggest rivalry this year's Donkey Kong world championships.
World Premiere - A NEW LOOK AT BROKEN AGE: Double Fine's Tim Schafer helps pull back the curtain on his next creation.
Viral - ROOSTER TEETH PRESENT THE PICK FOR CAMEO OF THE YEAR: You're never going to guess who wins.
World Premiere - WORLD PREMIERES AS CHOSEN BY YOU: You tell us which world premiere you want to see next: Tom Clancy's The Division or The Withcher 3: Wild Hunt
Award - WHO WILL BE CROWNED BEST INDIE GAME?: Find out which little studio takes home the big award.
World Premiere - Another all-new game, brought to you by VGX.

Hour Three
Play - See if you can survive this demo of Dying Light.
Viral - VGX WELCOMES PEWDIEPIE: One of YouTube's biggest names visits VGX.
World Premiere - Thief: Get an exclusive world premiere for the latest entry in this beloved franchise.
Award - We're revealing the winner of either Best Shooter or Studio of the Year categiories. You tell us which you want to see.
Award - You voted, now find out who you chose as your Character of the Year.
World Premiere - We've got some of this year's biggest trailers - only at VGX.
Award - You decide which award you want to see handed out.
World Premiere - Titanfall: VGX welcomes Respawn Entertainment's Vince Zampella for an exclusive look at one of next year's biggest games.
Rockstar - An exclusive one night only performance of the music of Grand Theft Auto V

NOMINEES

Game of the Year

BioShock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto 5
Super Mario 3D World
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider

Studio of the Year

Irrational Games
Naughty Dog
Rockstar North
The Fullbright Company

Best Shooter

Battlefield 4
BioShock Infinite
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Metro: Last Light

Best Action Adventure Game

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Grand Theft Auto 5
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider

Best Sports Game

FIFA 14
MLB 13: The Show
NBA 2K14
NHL 14

Best Independent Game

Gone Home
Kentucky Route Zero
Papers, Please
The Stanley Parable

Best RPG

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Pokemon X/Y

Best Fighting Game

Divekick
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Killer Instinct
Tekken Revolution

Best Driving Game

F1 2013
Grid 2
Forza Motorsport 5
Need for Speed Rivals

Best DLC

Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Mass Effect 3: Citadel

Best Xbox Game

BioShock Infinite
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Grand Theft Auto 5
Tomb Raider

Best PlayStation Game

Grand Theft Auto 5
Rayman Legends
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider

Best Nintendo Game

Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Super Mario 3D World
The Wonderful 101

Best PC Game

Battlefield 4
Gone Home
Papers, Please
The Stanley Parable

Best Handheld Game

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon X/Y
Tearaway
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Best Casual Game

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Disney Infinity
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time
Skylanders Swap Force

Best Voice Actor

Troy Baker as Joel in The Last of Us
Troy Baker as Booker DeWitt in BioShock Infinite
Steven Ogg as Trevor Philips in Grand Theft Auto 5
Willem Dafoe as Nathan Dawkins in Beyond: Two Souls

Best Voice Actress

Ashely Johnson as Ellie in The Last of Us
Courtnee Draper as Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite
Camilla Luddington as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider
Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes in Beyond: Two Souls

Best Soundtrack

BioShock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto 5
The Last of Us

Best Song in a Game

"ADHD" by Kendrick Lamar (Grand Theft Auto 5)
"Sleepwalking" by The Chain Gang of 1974 (Grand Theft Auto 5)
"Survival" by Eminem (Call of Duty: Ghosts)
"Will the Circle be Unbroken" by Courtnee Draper & Troy Baker (BioShock Infinite)

Most Anticipated Game

South Park: The Stick of Truth
Destiny
Watch Dogs
Titanfall
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

CLW
12-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Anyone that votes for anything other than TLOU is a Commie Bastard. :nod:

I OU a Beatn
12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Anyone that votes for anything other than TLOU is a Commie Bastard. :nod:

It's 3rd at best. Great story, so so game play. Naughty Dog needs to hire someone who has worked on 3rd person shooters and can improve their shooting mechanics.

I OU a Beatn
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition coming to Xbox One and PS4 on January 28 according to a leaked ad.

CLW
12-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition coming to Xbox One and PS4 on January 28 according to a leaked ad.

Hmmm enjoyed that one on PS3 what is so "Definitive" about this edition? I presume a graphics upgrade but what else?

CLW
12-07-2013, 11:11 AM
It's 3rd at best. Great story, so so game play. Naughty Dog needs to hire someone who has worked on 3rd person shooters and can improve their shooting mechanics.

As opposed to GTA V with a crappy/boring story and the same so so gameplay? I don't see much difference at all between the shooting mechanics between the two games.

I didn't bother even trying Bioshock due to the FPS motion sickness so I cannot comment on the story or gameplay there but TLOU blows GTA V out of the water and its not even close.

I OU a Beatn
12-07-2013, 11:16 AM
As opposed to GTA V with a crappy/boring story and the same so so gameplay? I don't see much difference at all between the shooting mechanics between the two games.

I liked them both, but you're comparing an 8 hour linear campaign vs. a potentially several hundred hour open world campaign with limitless stuff to do. Game of the Year usually brings something new to the table. The Last of Us was Uncharted in a post apocalyptic skin. It even felt like Uncharted! Grand Theft Auto brought several fresh ideas to the table and executed most of them very well.

I personally thought Bioshock Infinite was better than both of them. Great story, extremely tight controls, smooth, and the shooting mechanics were dead on. Plus, when was the last time you saw a game of that art style and time period? It should run away with the award, but unfortunately, the vast majority of the votes are going to go to the 2 I was talking about above.

I OU a Beatn
12-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Probably getting revealed tonight:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba5QO6ZCIAA5YxK.jpg

Kingpin32
12-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I voted for Bioshock as my game of the year. Great story, great gameplay. Looked great too.

CLW
12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I liked them both, but you're comparing an 8 hour linear campaign vs. a potentially several hundred hour open world campaign with limitless stuff to do. Game of the Year usually brings something new to the table. The Last of Us was Uncharted in a post apocalyptic skin. It even felt like Uncharted! Grand Theft Auto brought several fresh ideas to the table and executed most of them very well.

I personally thought Bioshock Infinite was better than both of them. Great story, extremely tight controls, smooth, and the shooting mechanics were dead on. Plus, when was the last time you saw a game of that art style and time period? It should run away with the award, but unfortunately, the vast majority of the votes are going to go to the 2 I was talking about above.

Well I suppose part of it is my preference for linear stories over open world games. However, in my time playing GTA V I didn't see anything really new there either. It was just another GTA where they tacked on an online mode that crashed like a ton of bricks at open and I never even bothered to go back and try it later. I honestly cannot think of anything "new" in GTA V other than a bigger map and the online mode.

I also took quite a bit of time in TLOU just looking around at all of the posters, actually read the little notes and things, etc... and it took me well over 8 hours to complete the story. I'm thinking it took me somewhere between 12-15 hours total.

I just thought TLOU looked a ton better graphically, had a better story and played about the same as GTA V. For my money it was the best game I played all year and was the best game I've played probably ever.

I OU a Beatn
12-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Well I suppose part of it is my preference for linear stories over open world games. However, in my time playing GTA V I didn't see anything really new there either. It was just another GTA where they tacked on an online mode that crashed like a ton of bricks at open and I never even bothered to go back and try it later. I honestly cannot think of anything "new" in GTA V other than a bigger map and the online mode.

I also took quite a bit of time in TLOU just looking around at all of the posters, actually read the little notes and things, etc... and it took me well over 8 hours to complete the story. I'm thinking it took me somewhere between 12-15 hours total.

I just thought TLOU looked a ton better graphically, had a better story and played about the same as GTA V. For my money it was the best game I played all year and was the best game I've played probably ever.

They both suck online, I was talking campaign. No one has produced a more living world in a video game than they did with Grand Theft Auto 5. Even if you somehow didn't see anything new in GTA, what exactly did you see that was new in The Last of Us? I mean, seriously...they took everything Uncharted and slapped zombie/apocalyptic skin on it. The only thing that was truly great about the game was the story and the relationship between Joel and Ellie. Everything else, including the most important thing in a game involving shooting - the shooting mechanics, was average at best.

Something tells me that if The Last of Us was the multiplatform title while Grant Theft Auto 5 was the Sony exclusive, you'd be raving about that one instead. :D

cdj
12-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Award show schedule now added to first post. Pre-show begins at 4:45 PM CT.

cdj
12-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Twitch stream now added to first post. Show is online only, so enjoy it here!

CLW
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Not getting any sound on the Twitch feed.

CLW
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
lol check that apparently there just was no sound working good now

CLW
12-07-2013, 04:58 PM
CLW's Awards:

Game of the Year

The Last of Us

Studio of the Year

Naughty Dog

Best Shooter

BioShock Infinite

The Last of Us

Best Sports Game

The Show

Best Independent Game

Papers, Please

Best RPG

Best Fighting Game

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Best Driving Game

Forza Motorsport 5

Best DLC

Mass Effect 3: Citadel (there is no "best" DLC)

Best Xbox Game

BioShock Infinite

Best PlayStation Game

The Last of Us

Best Nintendo Game

Super Mario 3D World

Best PC Game

Battlefield 4

Best Handheld Game

Tearaway

Best Casual Game

Skylanders Swap Force

Best Voice Actor

Troy Baker as Joel in The Last of Us

Best Voice Actress

Ashely Johnson as Ellie in The Last of Us

Best Soundtrack

Grand Theft Auto 5

Best Song in a Game

"Survival" by Eminem (Call of Duty: Ghosts)

Most Anticipated Game

Titanfall (for me its either 1886 or Watchdogs but Titanfall looks like a special FPS)

CLW
12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
wow these hosts are AWFUL. :smh:

CLW
12-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

CLW
12-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Best Sports Game

NBA 2K14

CLW
12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Game of the Year

Grand Theft Auto 5

:smh:

CLW
12-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Best Independent Game

Gone Home

CLW
12-08-2013, 08:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV5igcC-ET0

jaymo76
12-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Based on overall fun factor and keeping in mind that video games are an escape from reality, I love what Nintendo has done with Mario 3d world. The game is getting monster ratings from fans and critics alike.