PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed: Rivals (PS4 & XB1)

cdj
11-10-2013, 11:05 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/10793227113_136310ed4e_o.jpg

Amazon purchase links: PlayStation 4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3RBZHY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00D3RBZHY&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20) - Xbox One (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3RBYM0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00D3RBYM0&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20)

Use this thread to share your thoughts, ask questions, look for friends to play online, or post final next-gen game media from around the web for Need for Speed: Rivals.

CLW
11-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Really interested in this one guys. I thought I was going to GameFly it but they sent me both KZ and BF instead due to the earlier release dates.

JBHuskers
11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Great meta on this one, sitting at around 85 right now. (http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/need-for-speed-rivals)

JBHuskers
11-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Streaming this now...

www.twitch.tv/JBHuskers

Stan HAMsen
11-22-2013, 07:35 PM
My first impression of this is pretty meh.

I really like the concept of Free Drive, but it seems like the cops start chasing me immediately. And then sometimes it says I escaped, there are no cops on my mini-map, and suddenly it says pursuit resumed. Frustrating.

Stan HAMsen
11-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I have to admit, I marked out when the light on my controller changed from red to blue. :up:

Stan HAMsen
11-22-2013, 09:49 PM
I am really enjoying playing the cop missions.

steelerfan
11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I have to admit, I marked out when the light on my controller changed from red to blue. :up:

?

Stan HAMsen
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
I typically buy games that present racing as a sport, so I probably approach this game from the wrong direction. I'm not sure that I have ever owned a Need For Speed game before, but I for sure remember playing NFS on a friend's Commodore 64.

I noted my frustration about losing the cops already. I had pretty much decided to give this up for the night after less than an hour, but decided to switch from Racer to Cop just to see how the transition worked and what not.

When playing as a racer, the Move sensor (is that what they call it?) on DS4 glows red. Switch to the Cops, and the sensor glows blue. Pretty neat.

I had a lot of fun playing as the police. For one, nobody is trying to arrest me for speeding. But also it is totally different than competing in races, so that sort of takes the edge off of the part of me that keeps saying "this is not a sports racer." After playing as a cop and seeing how the pursuits work from that side, I understand what was happening when I was getting frustrated as a Racer trying to shake the police.

I ended up having a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to going back to the Racer side and seeing if I enjoy it more now that I somewhat understand what the police are doing.

Stan HAMsen
11-24-2013, 09:09 AM
When I turned this on yesterday, it asked some questions about an Origin account. I'm not sure if I already had one or not, but it seemed to get me setup pretty quickly. Next thing I know, I'm playing my game with 5 other live users. None of them ever really seemed to interfere with anything I was doing, though we did cross paths and I even busted one of them. Also, there are friends list leaderboards for all kinds of things. Pretty neat.

This is not the kind of game that I thought I would be interested in. I only bought this because Drive Club was delayed AND it was part of that Amazon promo. The story, at least on the police side, is terrible but minimally intrusive. I'm surprised, but I'm loving this so far.

cdj
11-24-2013, 11:29 AM
In my playing online, I've only run into the other live users a handful of times. I did have to laugh when in the middle of trying to elude police I crashed head-on into a user also trying to elude police.

JB, snoop, and I played some online the other night, but it didn't seem very easy to actually complete in events together, unless we were missing something. Stan, when are you typically online? We should try to get a group on to play. I think you can have six in a group?

Stan HAMsen
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like I'm going to be playing most of today.

Stan HAMsen
11-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Just finished the cop objectives.

Stan HAMsen
11-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Just busted psusnoop, haha.

psusnoop
11-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Just busted psusnoop, haha.

That was my son!!!!

Stan HAMsen
11-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Your son drives like a degenerate, sir.

;)

psusnoop
11-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Your son drives like a degenerate, sir.

;)

Lol he is 7 hahaha

JBHuskers
11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Unless I'm missing something, it's a bitch with friends to do anything. Especially because the cops continually try to bust you when you're trying to get anywhere. So bascially it's fun to play solo, but a pain in the ass with friends. Previous NFS titles were really simple to get together and do things, even The Run which was trashed in reviews.

Stan HAMsen
11-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I do like all the friends list related leaderboards (mission times, speed zones, jumps etc.).

cdj
12-17-2013, 10:28 AM
The new 2015 Ford Mustang is available in-game as part of the latest update:

It won't hit dealerships until next year, but thanks to Need for Speed Rivals you can drive the 2015 Ford Mustang as early as today.

Thanks to a free title update which should be applied the next time you fire up the game, Rivals now features a brand-new, not-yet-released Ford sports car. This new Mustang should not be confused with the 2014 edition of the vehicle previously released as promotion for the upcoming Need for Speed film, nor its tricked-out police variation. This 2015 Mustang is its own car, and as you can see from the above trailer, it flies down the track like a thematically-apropos bald eagle.

Like the recently-revealed BMW M5 Coupé from Gran Turismo 6, Need for Speed's new Mustang resulted from the development team being granted early access to the car during production. "We worked closely with the development team at EA to provide them with engineering data for the new Mustang, several months before we showed it to the rest of the world," stated Mark Bentley, Ford product licensing manager. As a result, the in-game 2015 Mustang should perform similarly to its eventual real-world counterpart, only with fewer cops and exotic supercars chasing you through the streets.

Courtesy: Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/17/need-for-speed-rivals-offers-you-the-keys-to-a-2015-mustang/)

CLW
01-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I just started messing with this one and its pretty fun I'd imagine it would be fun to get a group of guys together and play as well as either all cops or possibly 2 v. 2 matches. "Story" is kinda lame but the driving is very fun. Going through the cop progression right now.

I do like how you can see your friends times on the events and high speeds, etc....

If any of you guys play this on PS4 let me know b/c I think I'm going to go for the :plat: on this one.

Stan HAMsen
01-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I will get back to this at some point, probably not until I need a break from Gran Turismo 6. I never did play any of the Racer missions, but I really enjoyed the cop side. Story is lame as hell, but there is so little of it that it hardly effected my enjoyment of the game.

CLW
01-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Finished the copy story mode but I gotta do it apparently 3 times to get the level 60 for the cop trophy before moving to the racer. My only complaints with this game are: (1) the story is awful; (2) I keep getting booted/reconnected during the middle of a mission with something about changing hosts?

Stan HAMsen
01-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Right. Connection issues and the grind of those cop levels were what led me to take a break from it. I think my cop level topped out in the high 40s.

cdj
02-19-2014, 08:14 AM
New Jaguar DLC Pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FIoiR4C2iZ8

New Ferrari DLC Pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FcyERaUzLhk