PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Soccer 14 (PS4 & XB1)

cdj
11-10-2013, 10:11 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/10792374574_7102a2640f_o.jpg

Amazon purchase links: PlayStation 4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXCCI8A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CXCCI8A&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20) - Xbox One (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX7FMDS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CX7FMDS&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20)

Use this thread to share your thoughts, ask questions, look for friends to play online, or post final next-gen game media from around the web for FIFA 14.

jaymo76
11-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Just an FYI that FIFA 14 has a ps4 demo. I am downloading it as quick as I can... but... the network keeps kicking me out due to "server maintenance." Really looking forward to trying this out tonight.

jaymo76
11-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Real Madrid vs. Barcelona in the demo...

Wow! What a fantastic intro!!!

The visuals in the pre-game are outstanding!!!!

Commentary was excellent as per usual.

Gameplay was great as well... you really need to pass the ball as the cpu has a strong defensive position.

Awesome victory celebration for Liga BBVA Champions.

Based on the demo, this is going to be an excellent game.

CLW
11-16-2013, 10:04 AM
If any of you guys wanna run some games this weekend let me know. I'll be around most the weekend.

jaymo76
11-16-2013, 01:39 PM
If any of you guys wanna run some games this weekend let me know. I'll be around most the weekend.

I would if I had it but now I'm out of pennies and will put FIFA on the Christmas wish list.

JBHuskers
11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Should have this sometime this week. Can't wait.

JBHuskers
11-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Holy hell this game is amazing. I got it last night, and put it in to install while watching The Walking Dead, and ended up playing for two hours without realizing it. Played some Ultimate Team; which is really well done this year, and started a career as a manager of Blackpool in a quest to try to get them into the Barclays. I might try to stream either tonight or tomorrow.

JBHuskers
11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I'll be streaming this at about 5:30 central.

JBHuskers
11-26-2013, 05:33 PM
The stream is now live: www.twitch.tv/JBHuskers

JBHuskers
11-26-2013, 10:03 PM
This is a trainer's card I just got in an Ultimate Team pack for FIFA :D :D :D

http://i.imgur.com/64tKaNa.jpg

psusnoop
11-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Lmfao!!! That is great!!

jaymo76
11-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Apparently he is pretty tight-lipped on giving away training tips... :D

steelerfan
11-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Apparently he is pretty tight-lipped on giving away training tips... :D

Yeah, he's an asshole.

JBHuskers
11-27-2013, 11:40 AM
:D :D :D when you don't play well he just shits all over you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4

JBHuskers
12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Not sure if next gen is just that much tougher, or I'm that rusty, but I'm getting somewhat of a challenge on Semi-Pro on offense, but not on defense.

steelerfan
12-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Not sure if next gen is just that much tougher, or I'm that rusty, but I'm getting somewhat of a challenge on Semi-Pro on offense, but not on defense.

It's just FIFA 14. It's the same on PS3. You have to be patient (which I know may be impossible for you, lol) and really work your build-up through the midfield. No more turbo football. :)

Trust me, I am struggling a bit too. However, it is a MUCH better representation of football than is FIFA 13. :nod:

CLW
12-09-2013, 02:05 PM
It's just FIFA 14. It's the same on PS3. You have to be patient (which I know may be impossible for you, lol) and really work your build-up through the midfield. No more turbo football. :)

Trust me, I am struggling a bit too. However, it is a MUCH better representation of football than is FIFA 13. :nod:

Yep I kinda passed the ball all around before but you really have to build it up the play now. Its the best effort EA has made today to get soccer right. Its still too offense friendly but its a solid feel for how the game is really played.

SmoothPancakes
12-27-2013, 01:03 AM
Alright, I'm having some serious issues here. I bought FIFA 14 earlier today from the Xbox Store (after choosing between FIFA, NBA 2K and Assassin's Creed IV). For the most part it runs fine. Only issue, I can't complete any damn matches. I've played two "Play Now" matches while it was finishing installing, a Be a Pro match and two Manager career matches. Every single damn one, when I select advance at the end of the match to save and go back to the menus, the fucking thing crashes back to the Xbox home screen. I have yet to even complete a single match and have it recorded by this game. I've played one match as my Pro, and two matches (the same one replayed twice) as my Manager, and have absolutely not a damn thing to show for it. :fp:

I OU a Beatn
12-27-2013, 01:10 AM
When was the last time you cold booted the Xbox? It has a weird memory leak where if you let it go into standby, it'll keep everything open and new apps force close. With the Xbox turned on, hold down the power button for about 5-10 seconds and then just turn it back on. I had a few games do that to me, too.

SmoothPancakes
12-27-2013, 01:26 AM
When was the last time you cold booted the Xbox? It has a weird memory leak where if you let it go into standby, it'll keep everything open and new apps force close. With the Xbox turned on, hold down the power button for about 5-10 seconds and then just turn it back on. I had a few games do that to me, too.

Just this evening at 6pm. I've been paranoid about using standby ever since I got my One, what with all the rumors of bricked consoles from power loss with a console in standby, so it gets fully 100% shut down every time I turn it off. It hadn't been turned on at all since either Sunday or Monday until earlier this evening, and the only thing I've done today is buy, download and install FIFA 14.

I just checked and made sure every single app was closed and the only thing open and running was FIFA 14. Ran through a match at 4 minute half sprint speeds, and no clue, but now it advanced and saved correctly after the match. :fp:

There were only two things I did. One, I made damn every single app was closed and nothing except for FIFA 14 was running. Two, I did some searching on Google and came across a "fix" on the EA forums.

Hi all,
Something that we'd like you to try is the following:

From the menu. go to the Practice tile
Navigate, with the RS, to Select Arena Player
Change the current player to a different one

While this sounds odd, this has helped some users in getting around this issue.

Thank you

EAGuy

http://answers.ea.com/t5/FIFA-14/FIFA14-the-matches-in-career-mode-can-t-finish-THE-SYSTEM-SENDS/m-p/2050079/highlight/true#M53419

I did exactly that, loaded up my manager career and fired up the same match for the third time (with the time clear down to just 4 minute halves so I could quickly get through it without potentially wasting a bunch of my time again), and it worked and didn't crash. So it was either that fix from the EA forums, or I can't have any other apps or programs open and running while playing FIFA 14.

steelerfan
12-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Hmm. Interesting.

I wonder if that issue is only on xb1 or if it's also present on PS4. I have FIFA 14, and a downloaded copy to boot. Obviously, I'm on PS3 though. I haven't had any issues of any kind with crashes or freezes.

Stan HAMsen
12-31-2013, 09:05 AM
So, I've switched over to this while 2k gets their act together. Still don't really know what I'm doing but having fun anyway.

I'm playing on Rookie, or whatever the lowest difficulty is called, until I can get a better feel for the game. I started a career as a manager for FC Copenhagen. Will I get offers to take over other teams? If not, am I missing out on a lot of the experience by not playing in one of the major leagues?

I'm starting to pass pretty ok, but sometimes my passes aren't going where I want. Like, instead of going to the guy a few yards away, it takes more or less the same angle toward a guy 20 yards away.

I've been playing the drills before games. Those are pretty fun and seem helpful.

Is it possible to setup a tournament with national teams?

steelerfan
12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Stan, I can only speak about current gen but I am 99% sure it's the same as next gen in the areas I'm going to discuss.

First, you aren't really missing out on anything by using FCK. The Danish Superliga, while not the best of leagues in quality, does participate in the UEFA Champions League (Champions' Cup in game) and the UEFA Europa League (Euro League in game).

Second, you will get offers for national squads through your agent but you will have to seek opportunities with other clubs. If I remember correctly, you do this by looking at the "Office" tab and choosing "Job Openings". Check there often as the openings change pretty often.

JBHuskers
12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
What I like to do is start off in Football League Championship (one step below English Premier League) and try to get the team into the Premier League through promotion.

Stan HAMsen
01-01-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm struggling to score goals. I have 12 goals in 11 league games, and that includes a high of 4. Seven of my games have been scoreless or 1 goal draws. So I'm still playing on amateur even though I'm tied for first in the league.

Got an offer to coach Norway's national team. I haven't accepted. My agent said Peru and Venezuela are interested too. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bdoughty
01-04-2014, 12:49 AM
What I like to do is start off in Football League Championship (one step below English Premier League) and try to get the team into the Premier League through promotion.

I usually start with Man City but I might give this a shot.

SmoothPancakes
01-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I always start the same. Start off with the Colorado Rapids, going through at least one, usually two seasons in MLS, then start searching jobs on a weekly basis, see what I can find that look interesting and apply for them. That worked out well in FIFA 13. Started with the Rapids, after two or three seasons, applied for and got offered the job with PSV Eindhoven, playing in Eredivisie over in the Netherlands.

I enjoyed it there so much, being eligible for all of the major European cups as well as playing in the top division in the Netherlands against some talented competition, that I never left PSV, even after 5-10 seasons, despite at one time or another being able to apply for what seemed like nearly every Premiere League squad.

So, started with the Rapids this time around in '14, only about a quarter of the way through my first season, so not planning any move just yet, but keeping my eye open for any mid-level European jobs to jump to (I want to earn my way into the Premiere League, so have to stay either non-English leagues or stay in the lower divisions).

steelerfan
01-04-2014, 08:23 AM
You played 7-13 seasons on FIFA 13???

SmoothPancakes
01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
You played 7-13 seasons on FIFA 13???

Yep. I bought so few games last year, basically, if I wasn't playing NCAA '14, I was playing FIFA 13. I'd get 2-4 hours at night to just sit down and play, essentially jumping from one match to the next, plowing through multiple matches in one night. Do that a couple nights a week and the matches, and seasons, added up quick.

I just bought FIFA 14 on December 26th, and despite having not played since the 31st, I'm already halfway through my first season with the Rapids.

psuexv
01-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I think he meant 7-13 seasons seems like a pretty wide range and you would have a better idea of how many seasons you played. I could be wrong though :)

CLW
01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Any of you guys have a good slider set?

steelerfan
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Any of you guys have a good slider set?

Check Orion at OS.

I based mine off of his current gen set but he has a set for next gen too. You are going to HAVE to change ALL of your controller settings to MANUAL.

Stan HAMsen
01-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm still not very good at this game, haha. Having a god time with it though. I'm not quite good enough to play on Semi Pro yet, but I've nearly outgrown Amateur. If I'm at the top of the league standings, I go ahead and bump it up to Semi Pro but, so far, I can't manage any offense at all. I did just get a tying goal in the 90th minute to avoid my first loss on Amateur. :up:

I ended up turning down Norway, Denmark, Bulgaria and Ireland to accept the job with Paraguay.

I'm surprised by the amount of indie rock on this game. I had never heard this remix of Foals' "My Number', though that was one of my favorite songs for a while this summer.

Stan HAMsen
01-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Lost a friendly to Peru when a red card led to a penalty shot and I had no idea what to do, haha.

Are the shots that are way over the goal just part of the game or are the controls really that sensitive? I have a really hard time getting a shot on goal with any power.

SmoothPancakes
01-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Lost a friendly to Peru when a red card led to a penalty shot and I had no idea what to do, haha.

Are the shots that are way over the goal just part of the game or are the controls really that sensitive? I have a really hard time getting a shot on goal with any power.

I've found the controls to be that sensitive. I have that issue sometimes, I'll absentmindedly hold down the button when powering up my shot and put too much power on it, sending it sailing WAY over the top like a field goal.

That's one issue I still have problems with, distance shots and power. Most times, I have to get up close to the goal to try and take a shot. If I try to shoot from the edge of the box or from outside the box, it is guaranteed to either be a ground ball or I'll send it sailing. I just cannot get a clean, accurate shot on goal from distance. I still haven't figured out the proper power level and kick style to use.

Stan HAMsen
01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
As luck would have it, the drill that came up before my next friendly was the gold level shooting drill. I had played it before and never come close to passing. I stuck to it and worked it out, at first just felling good if the GK had to make a play on all 8 shots. I did finally pass, which was pretty awesome, haha.

Next game I got 4 goals, tied for my best ever in almost 25 games played, and I just felt better about my shot in general. But I was playing Northern Ireland and I couldn't figure out how to check how good their GK is.

Stan HAMsen
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Got my first goal on semipro, another goal on my first ever penalty kick, and my first win on semipro. :up:

Stan HAMsen
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Is fatigue cumulative through the season? I'm just now noticing that my players start the game already worn down, haha.

JBHuskers
01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Is fatigue cumulative through the season? I'm just now noticing that my players start the game already worn down, haha.

Yup. You gotta learn to juggle your roster, and start some scrubs on non-important games.

bdoughty
01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Not just fatigue to worry about over the season, player FORM is also key.

http://i.imgur.com/3lK9LUc.jpg

Those little arrows indicate a players form, how well they are feeling before the match, due to a good/bad week of practice, broke up with their GF, etc, etc. Up = good down = poor So when playing with your squad before each match consider removing players with bad form if you have a healthy sub with good form. Managing your squad will be key as you start moving up to higher difficulty levels.

Also players have a happiness rating, due to their contract or playing time. So look into each player. I can't say for sure but I would imagine this also impacts a players form. Get a sub some playing time in a blowout. Throw some money at an unhappy player you like.

Stan HAMsen
01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks for that.

I know I'm just scratching the surface with this game and I'm still really enjoying it. :up:

bdoughty
01-07-2014, 02:51 AM
Thanks for that.

I know I'm just scratching the surface with this game and I'm still really enjoying it. :up:

No problem, from the looks of it you are really getting into this whole soccer thing. Video games got me hooked on the real thing. I just love all the tactics involved and a really good work up the pitch leading to a goal.

On a side note I am skipping the EPL this year and just starting out with my second favorite FC, Celtic.

http://i.imgur.com/ANy6hWC.png

Stan HAMsen
01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
from the looks of it you are really getting into this whole soccer thing.

For sure. No surprise, really, I knew I would like it. I just haven't picked up a FIFA game in so long that the learning curve feels pretty steep. The last one I had was probably on PS1, maybe Genesis, haha. Whenever it was, the only kind of "season" was a pool play tournament thing.

I finished my season and now I'm going to rotate through seasons of some other sports games. When I get back to this, I'll need to replace a couple of players that left. I should have one of the better squads in Superliga again, so I'll be working toward advancing the difficulty up a step. I probably need to start playing longer games too, since I'm only playing 6 min halves.

I sort of wish I had started with a team that has lower expectations. I'm supposed to win the league and that makes it hard for me to commit to just jumping in the deep end and turning the difficulty up. But I'm in a weird place where I'm not scoring consistently (1 goal in my last 3 games) but I'm not usually giving up many shots and so not many goals either (2 in that same stretch). I didn't score in my last 2 games but got a 0-0 draw in the last game of the season to win the league by 1 point.

I expect to get a lot out of this game over the next couple of years. I wish I would have got back into the series sooner. I can see this being an every 2 or 3 years kind of title for me.