PDA

View Full Version : Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4 & XB1)

cdj
11-10-2013, 09:56 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/10792135404_062dc9e5e8_o.jpg

Amazon purchase links: PlayStation 4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMFIXOW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00BMFIXOW&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20) - Xbox One (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX8VYM0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CX8VYM0&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20)

Use this thread to share your thoughts, ask questions, or post final next-gen game media from around the web for Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag.

Kingpin32
11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
I love this game. The life of a pirate is the life for me.

jaymo76
11-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Silly question but how much of this game is violence and how much of it is story? Also is it a totally open world? I have been looking at this game with a lot of interest but I have young kids who love watching me play and I don't really want them to see too much violence (pre K age).

Kingpin32
11-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Silly question but how much of this game is violence and how much of it is story? Also is it a totally open world? I have been looking at this game with a lot of interest but I have young kids who love watching me play and I don't really want them to see too much violence (pre K age).

I would say that a good chunk of it is violence. There's moments where you can sail the sea and hunt for treasure and stuff, but you'll sometimes run into naval battles. I would suggest watching some Twitch streams or some Let's Plays on Youtube first. The game itself is really fun though.

CLW
11-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Need to get into this bad boy. Haven't yet been busy having fun with Knack.

SCClassof93
11-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Just started this last night. Looks amazing.

CLW
11-28-2013, 07:25 AM
I played about 15 minutes worth looks really fun. However, for those experts in the series: is there a way to bring up a large map? I'm trying to find all the treasure chests, etc.... on the map and that damn thing at the bottom left corner is tough to get a read on.

Kingpin32
11-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I played about 15 minutes worth looks really fun. However, for those experts in the series: is there a way to bring up a large map? I'm trying to find all the treasure chests, etc.... on the map and that damn thing at the bottom left corner is tough to get a read on.

Push the touchpad.

CLW
11-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Push the touchpad.

D'oh the only game that actually uses the touchpad. Go figure. :nod:

SCClassof93
11-28-2013, 02:41 PM
D'oh the only game that actually uses the touchpad. Go figure. :nod:

Then use the right stick to zoom
http://www.justplainpolitics.com/images/smilies/retarded-boy.gif

cdj
12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Freedom Cry DLC coming next week (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/assassins-creed-4-freedom-cry-dlc-confirmed-for-next-week/):

Hark, now hear the Freedom Cry: The Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag DLC arrives on Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and PC on December 17. European PlayStation owners have to wait one day longer to smell the DLC's sea and feel its sky on December 18.

The single-player DLC comprises nine missions, in which players take on the role of former slave Adewale. Now first mate to blond buccaneer Edward Kenway, Adewale finds himself washed up in Haiti, or as it was back then, the French-owned colony of Saint-Domingue, a land itself plagued by slavery. Although he begins unarmed and crewless, Adewale finds new weapons in a machete and blunderbuss gun, as well as a personal reason to fight.

"We're still true to how his character was established in Black Flag," said AC4 Lead Writer Jill Murray on Ubisoft's blog. "He's not standing in for every black man who was ever a slave in the 18th century. He's Adéwale. He's the character we know. He has the wit that we've come to expect; he has heart. We see him as an older guy. He's matured and changed in some small ways. I think those are the kinds of character details that always take precedence over pretty much everything else that can happen in the story."

Freedom Cry will be available for $10, or as part of the game's $20 season pass.

JBHuskers
12-13-2013, 10:02 AM
So should I start with AC I? Or start with AC III then go to IV?

Coach Kernzy
12-13-2013, 10:16 AM
You really don't have to play any of the previous ones unless you really want to but I'd rank them this way as someone who loves the entire series.
IV is the best with all that you can do, the naval battles and all that goes along with that are great and all the other elements are improved as well I think.
II, Brotherhood and Revelations all revolve around 1 character, Ezio. As a whole they are very good but there were some elements of Revelations I didn't care for like the tower defense minigame. II was my favorite of the series with Brotherhood close behind before IV came out.
III had good intentions and at it's core was a good game that set the foundation for IV on the naval front but the main character wasn't very likable and some of the side mission and minigame stuff were not all that enjoyable.
I for it's time was great but just didn't have the polish that subsequent games in the series did and I didn't particularly care for the time period and character in this one.

Just my opinions but always happy to talk AC.

Coachdenz
01-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Is the multiplayer mode online?

SmoothPancakes
01-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Ok, I just went and bought this on Xbox Live an hour ago, have it installing right now. My paycheck on Wednesday was a bit more than expected, so I said screw it and bought it. I've been wanting to get it since November, just never had the spare money to do so due to the initial cost of the One and three release day games I got plus Christmas shopping.

It's only 16% done installing, but that's fine since New England-Denver is about to kickoff, it's got the next three hours to install.

bdoughty
01-19-2014, 09:41 PM
:D I just bout it a couple days ago. Unfortunately I could care less about the multilayer in this game.

SmoothPancakes
01-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Time to sail the high seas! I started playing this game Sunday night, and my god I love it! I'm currently just past the first visit to Nassau and Salt Lick (or whatever the place is called). I am addicted to ocean warfare. When you take the Jackdaw out for the first time and just have to get certain items, screw that, I kept attacking ships long after I met the requirements for the missions. I was going to town on those Spanish bastards.

Only problem I've had so far are pirate hunters. Man those fuckers are relentless. I ended up in battle with a pirate hunter brig, both of us trading shots, trying to avoid pissing off the nearby Spanish ships while dueling. Then finally as I get the fucker down to the point that I can start boarding, here comes a second pirate hunter brig that starts pummeling me with shells. :fp:

SmoothPancakes
01-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Holy shit. I've been sitting here for a half an hour now watching an English frigate and a Spanish frigate dueling it out. Add in a good couple dozen Spanish schooners and gunboats, and holy hell what a battle. The British frigate ultimately sunk, but, a look upon the horizon, and here comes another British frigate. Time for part two to war on the high seas! I'm just going around plundering loot and rescuing survivors right now. No way in hell am I getting involved with two frigates.

CLW
01-25-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm debating on buying this game from GameFly I now have $10 off plus the 5% discount to make it $32. I haven't played this game much too busy with Resogun, 2K, Madden and recently Need for Speed. You guys think its worth $32 at this point? If I pull the trigger it will have to be today b/c I lose one of my $5 offs today.

cdj
01-25-2014, 06:45 AM
CLW - I've heard a lot of good things about ACIV, even from people who may not have been longtime fans of the franchise, FWIW. If you're a fan of the franchise, that $32 tag may be too good to pass up. If you're not and also still busy with other games, I can see passing for now - though, I don't see the price dropping much more until (possibly) the holidays.

CLW
01-25-2014, 06:53 AM
CLW - I've heard a lot of good things about ACIV, even from people who may not have been longtime fans of the franchise, FWIW. If you're a fan of the franchise, that $32 tag may be too good to pass up. If you're not and also still busy with other games, I can see passing for now - though, I don't see the price dropping much more until (possibly) the holidays.

Yeah the very little I have played has been fun. Honestly, the big thing holding me back right now is just the utter lack of games coming up that I want to rent from GameFly with my 4 out at a time plan. Right now I have AC IV, Need For Speed and some Lego Game. I'll be getting Tomb Raider next week to make my 4. Then next month Thief is the only game that looks interesting and I have no clue what it is even about so I'm leaning on just keeping AC IV in the rental stack. I suppose I could actually get Madden again and maybe do a franchise with it but that doesn't strike me as something all that appealing either.

cdj
01-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I started playing this one earlier today. I'm not very far in, but will avoid spoilers.

* During the glorified tutorial mode that teaches you how to run (5 minute into game, basically), as I tried to jump up a small wall/bluff, my character somehow went through it; getting stuck behind and ultimately falling under the map. :fp:

* I just finished ACIII on Friday and then started up this one. They changed controls just enough that I have to think twice before doing things. Visually, the game looks great and the new menu system is cool.

* I'm anxious for more of the overall story to figure out what happened after ACIII.

bdoughty
01-27-2014, 10:02 PM
* During the glorified tutorial mode that teaches you how to run (1 minute into game, basically), as I tried to jump up a small wall/bluff, my character somehow went through it; getting stuck behind and ultimately falling under the map. :fp:

Are you talking about AC Black Flag? I do not recall a tutorial mode, they just threw you on a ship and said have at it? Was this the loading screen? Could never get into AC3, fortunately some of those control changes are for the better (shooting controls are a ton better). Biggest complaint is the lack of imagination required to get to the View Points. Pretty much straight up with the a rare climb around the side. AC2 required a little thought in this area and even Far Cry 3 copied it making each radio tower climb more challenging.

cdj
01-27-2014, 10:14 PM
It was actually about five minutes in when they have you chase someone/something. It's not a pure tutorial mode, but they have the text/controls in the middle of screen to get new users acclimated. I initially forgot about the opening ship sequence. It is after that.

bdoughty
01-28-2014, 12:59 AM
Ah gotcha, the scene right after you make your way to the shore.

SmoothPancakes
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
I just finished the story tonight. Damn fun game!

cdj
01-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Did anyone here use the AC IV app while playing the game? I have it downloaded and while it looked helpful when I looked through it, I can't help but think using a second screen could be distracting/tough to balance.

cdj
02-22-2014, 09:26 AM
- Beat the game yesterday. Really fun and well done.

- I went through and collected all the notes & hacked all of the computers at Abstergo. Am I wrong or are they possibly planning to:
have the next or future game in 1940s Germany? That seems like it might be tough to market for mass appeal, though.

- Prior to the recent patch, there was an issue where users with more than 99 PSN friends could not connect to the Ubisoft servers. Post-patch, there is an issue where some users cannot connect to the Ubisoft servers and there does not yet to appear to be an exact reason why. I am one of those hit, meaning I cannot play the fleet mini-game, view Leaderboards, play community events, etc. Anyone else have this issue?

CLW
02-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Man this GameFly rental has just sat there and I'm not really sure why. Right now going through Tomb Raider again and I need to finish NFS. Oh well thankfully, with the 4 out at at time there is no rush as I'll prob buy Infamous next month.

souljahbill
06-29-2014, 07:56 PM
This game is.......

AMAZING!!!!

Holy shit! It's FANTASTIC! Everything about this game (everything but those damn Moray Eels when deep sea swimming) is fucking legend........wait for it...........dary!

I harpooned Moby Dick to death. That's how fucking awesome this game is!