PDA

View Full Version : SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12 won't license trademarks in next EA SPORTS college football game

psuexv
08-14-2013, 10:09 AM
ESPN.com is reporting that the Southeastern Conference will be joining the NCAA and no longer license its trademarks with EA SPORTS and their college football franchise (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9566556/sec-license-trademarks-ea-ncaa-football-game).

While this means the removal of the SEC name, logos, and other trademarked conference-related items, the member schools will still make their own determination if they will appear in the product.

Joystiq's Mike Suszek adds (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/sec-branding-will-not-be-included-in-future-ea-college-football/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter) that "150 collegiate institutions, including SEC schools, have approved renewal of the EA college football license, to begin with the 2015 edition. As with any licensed product, individual schools continue to make their own decisions."

What does this mean for the franchise? It is expected that the next title in the franchise will feature a generic name for the SEC. Though, much remains up in the air as this news amplifies significant concerns that numerous conferences and programs may follow suit.

From an EA SPORTS College Football 15 design standpoint, there is some community-based discussion that this may lead to a more customizable game, namely within the Custom Conferences feature to edit names, add logos, edit bowl tie-ins, etc. The offseason has now featured the NCAA & SEC removing themselves from the franchise and many conferences revamping bowl tie-ins. With more conference realignment in the future, these changes may lead to more customization and user options within the franchise. However, there is still the growing concern that should an excessive number of licensed partners jump ship, the franchise may be cancelled.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9566556/sec-license-trademarks-ea-ncaa-football-game&ex_cid=sportscenter

The Southeastern Conference has joined the NCAA in announcing it will no longer license its trademarks in the EA Sports NCAA football video game.

The move comes a month after the NCAA said it would not license its trademarks, either. That ruling, however, allowed each individual institution and conference to license its trademarks with EA Sports for future college football games.

"Each school makes its own individual decision regarding whether or not to license their trademarks for use in the EA Sports game(s)," the SEC said in a statement. "The Southeastern Conference has chosen not to do so moving forward.

"Neither the SEC, its member universities, nor the NCAA have ever licensed the right to use the name or likeness of any student to EA Sports."

The NCAA's statement last month included similar language about current student athletes, but cited legal costs as the reason for not renewing its contract with EA Sports.

"We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games," the NCAA said. "But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA is currently embattled in a lawsuit with current and former student athletes, led by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon, over the alleged use of their likenesses in EA Sports video games without compensation.

xMrHitStickx904
08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
^ NCAA Football series is dead.

psuexv
08-14-2013, 10:22 AM

It's about to get interesting.

bdoughty
08-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Now we wait and see if some SEC schools follow suit. Not looking good.

psuexv
08-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Now we wait and see if some SEC schools follow suit. Not looking good.

Schools will definitely be the key. The game can definitely go on without conferences and the NCAA.

souljahbill
08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
RIP my friend. It's been real.

OSUCowboyofMD
08-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Wow. Can't believe this. Just when the game started improving...:fp: :deadhorse: :bang: :confused:

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Probably explains now why there hasn't been a goddamn patch or tuner update since fucking release day in '14. :fp:

JBHuskers
08-14-2013, 11:10 AM
:D not dead yet. Love how people just love to jump off the ship at the immediate sight of news.

If schools back out, then start to worry. I can deal with the SEC being the South Conference or whatever generic thing they come up with.

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2013, 11:17 AM
:D not dead yet. Love how people just love to jump off the ship at the immediate sight of news.

If schools back out, then start to worry. I can deal with the SEC being the South Conference or whatever generic thing they come up with.

True, but realistically, if conferences are now following the lead of the NCAA, schools probably won't be far behind. There were already mentions of a couple individual schools wanting more information from EA after the NCAA backed out. I'm gonna guess, at least one or two more conferences will follow the SEC in the next week or two. Probably in the next month or so, we'll see one or two individual schools back out, and then the dominoes will fall as others follow.

JBHuskers
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
At this point, if the schools jump ship. Give me a TeamBuilder Online Dynasty and I'd still be happy.

xMrHitStickx904
08-14-2013, 11:43 AM
RT @DJohn_1: RT @mikesuszek: To be clear, SEC teams will still be in the next EA college football game, CLC tells us. http://t.co/AiICb4jLzO

psuexv
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Thread now promoted to an article. You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?744-SEC-won-t-license-trademarks-in-next-EA-SPORTS-college-football-video-game

oweb26
08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
I think its headed more towards cancellation than customization.

Its going to get expensive quick if they have to deal with every school/conference individually, even if they go with customization it will be months before we actually have a "playable" real college game waiting on the community to do basically everything.

skipwondah33
08-14-2013, 12:07 PM
At this point, if the schools jump ship. Give me a TeamBuilder Online Dynasty and I'd still be happy.You think they make a game with that being their highest selling point?

cdj
08-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Article updated: Big Ten joining the SEC in not allowing their marks to be used by EA SPORTS. The Big XII is still considering.

skipwondah33
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
They are all going to follow suit I'm pretty sure

JBHuskers
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
You think they make a game with that being their highest selling point?

The game as it is already exists, just need to strip down the licensed stuff if it ever came to that.

skipwondah33
08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
The game as it is already exists, just need to strip down the licensed stuff if it ever came to that.There are people who bash the game because of no dreads, windsocks and style of facemasks

You really think having no or very little licensed stuff will fly?

SCClassof93
08-14-2013, 12:22 PM
There are people who bash the game because of no dreads, windsocks and style of facemasks

You really think having no or very little licensed stuff will fly?

Indeed, those folks tickle me, but at what point will this not be college football???

jaymo76
08-14-2013, 12:40 PM
I just don't see this game having a future if authentic aspects of it continue to disappear. Do I want to win "Conference of the South" championship or fight it out for the National college game championship? It's only a matter of time before a few schools begin to drop out. How soon before Notre Dame walks away? I love NCAA but I really don't see myself playing a generic college game. This is a sad day :(

SCClassof93
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
I just don't see this game having a future if authentic aspects of it continue to disappear. Do I want to win "Conference of the South" championship or fight it out for the National college game championship? It's only a matter of time before a few schools begin to drop out. How soon before Notre Dame walks away? I love NCAA but I really don't see myself playing a generic college game. This is a sad day :(

Agreed.

Just got off the phone with a contact at an SEC school (he asked me not to say) and it is not South Carolina:D. After small talk I brought up the topic to which he replied that, "it has been and was still being discussed". You can bet it is going on at many schools. They are having to weigh the $$$ against the potential problems this suit could cause. The Ncaa and the conferences I would assume (admittedly, I am ignorant on this topic) are a type of buffer between these former players and the schools. With them gone it seems to me the schools will be forced to decide if it is worth it..........:dunno:

jaymo76
08-14-2013, 01:22 PM
I think it's time that we as a site sit down and figure out our future... what are we going to do if there is no NCAA? It's how we all came together in the first place... :) I know JB expressed some interest in having a Hannah Montana Game forum...

CLW
08-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Yep. Hate to say I told you (and everyone else) so. NOONE in their right mind (schools included) would license this game with the lawsuit pending period end of story. It doesn't make business sense to sign up for a lawsuit every year.

NCAA 14 is the end of college football video games.

Any/all colleges that grant the CLC permission are just asking to get sued and every in house lawyer for every university in the country is advising the President of the potential for lawsuits.

morsdraconis
08-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry JB, but NCAA Football as it is is over. There's no way that EA will greenlight a non-licence version of this game. They have all the licences already and it's not selling well at all and hasn't been since the PS2 days. EA losing access to the licences means, for corporate, an easy decision to no longer fund the game and the team.

Unless something SUBSTANTIAL happens with the official NCAA licence, this game is gone after this iteration of it.

skipwondah33
08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Indeed, those folks tickle me, but at what point will this not be college football???Not sure, just know authenticity is huge to some

Sure there will be plenty that don't mind having the Huge 15 and South Football conferences.

But those SEC patches aren't on the uniforms people may be hot lol

Just trying to see it from both sides. It has to make sense to EA to continue the product.

That could already be losing fans/numbers these past 2 releases anyway..let alone with a product with very little licensing.

ram29jackson
08-14-2013, 02:36 PM
I think it's time that we as a site sit down and figure out our future... what are we going to do if there is no NCAA? It's how we all came together in the first place... :) I know JB expressed some interest in having a Hannah Montana Game forum...

minecraft ?

JBHuskers
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm just saying about the only thing I play is Online Dynasty. If everything is stripped down and fully customizable for conferences and etc, the rosters are made up after the 3rd or 4th season anyways....I'd still play it.

dhook27
08-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Looks like i will be playing 14 for the next 4 years

cdj
08-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Pac-12 also says no.

SCClassof93
08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Why would a group of schools (conference) disassociate themselves from EA but remain individually? Seems at least a few of these schools will follow.

skipwondah33
08-14-2013, 02:56 PM
These conferences are a bunch of pansies

They've been hording all this money for years...now get scared

JBHuskers
08-14-2013, 04:16 PM
These conferences are a bunch of pansies

They've been hording all this money for years...now get scared

And once the smoke clears, they'll come crawling back to EA.

bdoughty
08-14-2013, 04:52 PM
And once the smoke clears, they'll come crawling back to EA.

:D Only one needs the other and it will not be the Conferences doing the crawling. You might find EA on it's knees though.

JBHuskers
08-14-2013, 04:55 PM
:D Only one needs the other and it will not be the Conferences doing the crawling. You might find EA on it's knees though.

Don't be so sure. All the conferences care about is $$$$$$$ as soon as the smoke clears and they can make more, they'll be knocking on the door.

bdoughty
08-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Don't be so sure. All the conferences care about is $$$$$$$ as soon as the smoke clears and they can make more, they'll be knocking on the door.

The money made from licensing it's logos/name to EA is not even a drop in a 55 gallon barrel. The risk far outweighs the reward. I am not saying you will never see the NCAA or conferences come back but it is not something they are going to lose any sleep over.

cdj
08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Several SEC schools say they are "in", several still evaluating, and some conferences are still debating. (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/whos_in_and_whos_out_licensing.html)

souljahbill
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I'll be honest, as much as I like NCAA, I personally am fine playing a game with all Teambuilder teams if the customization is off the chain. If I could customize logos, uniforms, stadiums, mascots, and whatnot, I'm perfectly happy playing a game with only fictional teams.

ram29jackson
08-14-2013, 06:21 PM
I'll be honest, as much as I like NCAA, I personally am fine playing a game with all Teambuilder teams if the customization is off the chain. If I could customize logos, uniforms, stadiums, mascots, and whatnot, I'm perfectly happy playing a game with only fictional teams.

the names just add flavor. Its not like I think these are the players or the teams. The game engine remains the same and someone will improvise something somehow. There will always be more than one football video game no matter who tries to do what ever.

jaymo76
08-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Why would a group of schools (conference) disassociate themselves from EA but remain individually? Seems at least a few of these schools will follow.

SC, looking at your avatar... copyright infringement!!! CLW acting on behalf of the SEC is putting the case together right now. :D

As to your point, the whole thing is just bizarre.

psusnoop
08-14-2013, 06:56 PM
This is all crazy. I'm not going to post much about because we know nothing more then to speculate and I'm not a huge fan of that.

I like NCAA 14 and will be playing that for some time here.

ram29jackson
08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
its all Johnny Football's fault

CLW
08-14-2013, 08:52 PM
SC, looking at your avatar... copyright infringement!!! CLW acting on behalf of the SEC is putting the case together right now. :D

I'll repeat any school that goes along with this at this point is getting BAD (malpractice even) legal advice. Now a President can do it but only doing so knowing they are opening up the school to a lawsuit by its student athletes every year from here to eternity. I'm honestly surprised the Plaintiffs' attorneys didn't add all the NCAA member institutions individually as defendants as well. Same claims no real extra work and its a TON of DEEP pocket books to fatten the Plaintiffs' attorneys coffers when the settle and/or win the lawsuit and destroy college athletics.

johntom2000
08-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Looks like I will be keeping this copy of NCAA for a long time.

CLW
08-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Yep you better. At first I thought the odd marketing this year was due to focus on next-gen. Now I'm not entirely sure if there will even be a game next year or if there is one whether it will be a full blown game or just a shell of its former self.

skipwondah33
08-15-2013, 07:11 AM
The money made from licensing it's logos/name to EA is not even a drop in a 55 gallon barrel. The risk far outweighs the reward. I am not saying you will never see the NCAA or conferences come back but it is not something they are going to lose any sleep over.People with money...like more money, not matter how small it may be compared to their other sources.

They wouldn't have done the deal in the first place if the money wasn't good. It sure wasn't to help the schools, fans or...gasp student-athletes

Now whether they opt to come back, that I am not sure. If the money makes sense and they don't fear lawsuits I imagine they definitely will.

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 07:46 AM
People like more money, not matter how small it may be compared to their other sources.

They wouldn't have done the deal in the first place if the money wasn't good. It sure wasn't to help the fans or...gasp student-athletes

Now whether they opt to come back, that I am not sure. If the money makes sense and they don't fear lawsuits I imagine they definitely will.

Cleaned that up for ya :nod:

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 07:48 AM

I have a couple of pretty good attorneys myself :P

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
08-15-2013, 10:15 AM
now I remember why avoid these lawsuit threads... everybody is a lwayer on the internet...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 10:53 AM
now I remember why avoid these lawsuit threads... everybody is a lwayer on the internet...

:fp:

bdoughty
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
now I remember why I try to avoid these lawsuit threads but still find myself posting in them... everybody is a lwayer lawyer on the internet...

Fixed it for you.

JBHuskers
08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Well EA has come out and said there will be a game. I am sure they were aware of this happening when the NCAA pulled out. Just chill out and wait for it to play out :fp:

psusnoop
08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Well EA has come out and said there will be a game. I am sure they were aware of this happening when the NCAA pulled out. Just chill out and wait for it to play out :fp:

It's way to easy to burn shit down or jump :nod:

http://www.mavenface.com/wp-content/uploads/bridge-jump.gif

steelerfan
08-15-2013, 12:11 PM
:D

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

psusnoop
08-15-2013, 12:24 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/760/085/applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I can't wait to look at my ps4 friends list in the future and see all of you playing, "EA Sports, Use Your Imagination College Football", complete with all your imaginary schools, conferences etc :D

psusnoop
08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
I can't wait to look at my ps4 friends list in the future and see all of you playing, "EA Sports, Use Your Imagination College Football", complete with all your imaginary schools, conferences etc :D

While we are playing EA Sports College Football, you guys can play judge :nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/XxAnoCxX/ro%20stuff/judge.gif

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 12:55 PM
While we are playing EA Sports College Football, you guys can play judge :nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/XxAnoCxX/ro%20stuff/judge.gif

Just remember snoop, I will never judge you........I will judge your actions and choices.......you know like playing Fat Princess or Hannah Montana and then...........
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mat963oiNU1ran3x4o1_500.gif

psusnoop
08-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Just remember snoop, I will never judge you........I will judge your actions and choices.......you know like playing Fat Princess or Hannah Montana and then...........
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mat963oiNU1ran3x4o1_500.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R0bLKzHhcH0/UI0b87FIxpI/AAAAAAAACT4/Qo9ZITVYMB4/s640/gif+white+girls+2.gif

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 01:34 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R0bLKzHhcH0/UI0b87FIxpI/AAAAAAAACT4/Qo9ZITVYMB4/s640/gif+white+girls+2.gif

Let me know when you want to talk about your golf game:D

WarEagle
08-15-2013, 02:03 PM

I may be wrong in the exact time frames, but doesn't EA kill off the NCAA 'xx servers after 2 years? What makes anyone think they'll not shutter them much more quickly if '14, or '15 (which I don't have faith in appearing on the shelves), is the last offering? I would guess keeping the servers active costs money, a cash flow that was always replaced by the next version of the game. No 'next', therefore no influx of cash, therefore no servers.

JBHuskers

If it has an Online Dynasty, I'm down!

CLW

Yep I need to sue all these fake laywers. The TGT only has ONE resident lawyer. :nod:

JBHuskers
08-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Yep I need to sue all these fake laywers. The TGT only has ONE resident lawyer. :nod:

I dunno, you got called out good for misinformation a few weeks ago IIRC :D

ram29jackson
08-15-2013, 02:26 PM

source please

ram29jackson
08-15-2013, 02:31 PM

with me as creative consultant
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/2512/bvhq.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/bvhq.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

JBHuskers
08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
source please

Look for it in the thread about the NCAA not renewing. It's in there somewhere.

ram29jackson
08-15-2013, 02:53 PM

that was 3 weeks ago though. Added details/schools defecting cant change that conclusion ?

JBHuskers
08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
that was 3 weeks ago though. Added details/schools defecting cant change that conclusion ?

That's what I am saying. EA should have either expected this would happen or knew ahead of time.

morsdraconis
08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
That's what I am saying. EA should have either expected this would happen or knew ahead of time.

Like they did with NBA Live and then, at the last minute, decided to scrap it? I'll believe it when it hits the shelves next year JB.

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 03:11 PM

I vaguely remember a second patch for TW14 was promised as well :D

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Like they did with NBA Live and then, at the last minute, decided to scrap it? I'll believe it when it hits the shelves next year JB.

This.:nod:

CLW
08-15-2013, 05:17 PM
I dunno, you got called out good for misinformation a few weeks ago IIRC :D

:ram?:

jaymo76
08-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Pasta Padre is reporting that the University of Washington probably won't license itself to EA.

Edit: the UW Athletic Director is recommending that UW admin. NOT license to EA sports.

souljahbill
08-15-2013, 06:03 PM
EA College Football '15 sponsored by Teambuilder

cdj
08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Pasta Padre is reporting that the University of Washington probably won't license itself to EA.

Edit: the UW Athletic Director is recommending that UW admin. NOT license to EA sports.

More info...

From an online chat with UW AD Scott Woodward (http://seattletimes.com/html/huskies/2021613568_scott-woodward-chat.html):

Q: It sounds like the Pac-12 will not license its trademarks with EA Sports. Will the UW?
A: We do not plan to. Licensing is done from the main campus, but we will advise them not to.

It is worth noting that last December, outgoing seniors were given custom copies of the game with their photo on the cover & disc (http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=30200&ATCLID=208037344).

In an effort to recognize Husky Football's senior captains in an innovative and authentic way, the University of Washington Athletics new media team created a unique tribute for the Dec. 9 Husky Football awards banquet. Each senior captain was surprised with a customized copy of EA SPORTS' NCAA Football '13 featuring their own image on the cover and packaging, along with personalized marketing collateral simulations.

"This group of student-athletes has given so much to the UW, we wanted to find a unique and authentic way to honor their efforts," Daniel Hour, manager of new media and recruiting services, said. "We knew our players have a special affinity for this video game, and we wanted to give them something that would be memorable and relevant to them."

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/fls/30200/old_site/images/8402196.jpeg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/fls/30200/old_site/images/8402208.jpeg

cdj
08-15-2013, 06:59 PM

bdoughty
08-15-2013, 07:13 PM
School leaving to be replaced with team based on Hanna Montana and friends.

SCClassof93
08-15-2013, 07:28 PM

skipwondah33
08-15-2013, 07:30 PM

lol

neystar206
08-15-2013, 08:14 PM
this sucks!!!!!!!! because ncaa is the only game that i play now. ive been playing since the first game came out!
well i guess ill be saving 500 buck by not getting the xbox one....
:bang:

CLW
08-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Well time for me to find a bunch of loser washed up former players and sign them up as clients to sue their former schools. I'll make my retirement against EA and the 120 separate multi-million dollar universities. :nod:

bdoughty
08-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Well time for me to find a bunch of loser washed up former players and sign them up as clients to sue their former schools. I'll make my retirement against EA and the 120 separate multi-million dollar universities. :nod:

EA, Hanna Montana and 120 separate multi-million dollar universities just laughed their asses off.

SmoothPancakes
08-16-2013, 04:45 AM
I can overlook the whole no Big Ten/Pac-12 in next year's game. But if multiple teams drop out (and actually drop out and not appear next year, not just say they won't renew the license in the future), then even if '15 releases, I think I'll end up skipping it. I'm a stickler for having accurate conferences when it comes to teams. Just as one possibility mentioned, say Stanford is the one, it will never be the same with Pac-12 logos and names already gone, but then to not have Stanford either.

If teams start dropping, I'm done. I'm not going to bother spending my money, even if Teambuilder still exists. I'll just stick with '14 (if these bastards ever release a new patch or tuner update for the goddamn game!) and keep playing that into the future. I can deal with not having Appalachian State or Charlotte in the game since they were never going to be in until next year.

CLW
08-16-2013, 06:27 AM
EA, Hanna Montana and 120 separate multi-million dollar universities just laughed their asses off.

Yeah they should ask EA and the NCAA how funny it is right now.

bdoughty
08-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Yeah they should ask EA and the NCAA how funny it is right now.

Well in fairness they are in legal battles with lawyers who do not spend half their day dissing the Xbox One and posting PS4 news. ;)

SCClassof93
08-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Well in fairness they are in legal battles with lawyers who do not spend half their day dissing the Xbox One and posting PS4 news. ;)

Those lawyers were not smart enough to marry doctors :D

oweb26
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM

OUCH :D Have you and Mors been hanging out lately?

CLW
08-16-2013, 11:11 AM

I wouldn't be soo...... sure. :nod:

Those lawyers were not smart enough to marry doctors :D

Touche. If you can swallow the "pride" of not being the primary bread winner its not a bad gig. :nod:

JBHuskers
08-16-2013, 11:26 AM
If lots of stuff is customizable, and shareable. It'll still work. Just gotta wait and see. But I'm not negative on the subject like 99% of people. Instead of believe it when I see it, I will believe it not existing when I don't see it showing up next July.

jaymo76
08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
If lots of stuff is customizable, and shareable. It'll still work. Just gotta wait and see. But I'm not negative on the subject like 99% of people. Instead of believe it when I see it, I will believe it not existing when I don't see it showing up next July.

That's the best opinion to have. But, I feel for the people whose team will not be in the game. Imagine if Nebraska opted out? Yeah sure you can customize but it just would not be the same. I enjoyed the gameplay of apf 2k8 but could not play the game because the uniforms, logos, and stadiums were not accurate.

gschwendt
08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
You won't be able to create teams that have opted out. As soon as EA finds it, they would be forced to remove it (ala Youtube). EA is supposed to be removing NFL teams presently and while they're not completely removing all of them, I'm sure if/when schools opted out, they'd be damn sure to watch TeamBuilder for their likeness. That's why when you are connected online, it always checks for legitimacy of your team before allowing you to use it. If it's vulgar or a copyright infringement or anything like that, they remove it.

ram29jackson
08-16-2013, 12:24 PM
You won't be able to create teams that have opted out. As soon as EA finds it, they would be forced to remove it (ala Youtube). EA is supposed to be removing NFL teams presently and while they're not completely removing all of them, I'm sure if/when schools opted out, they'd be damn sure to watch TeamBuilder for their likeness. That's why when you are connected online, it always checks for legitimacy of your team before allowing you to use it. If it's vulgar or a copyright infringement or anything like that, they remove it.

nothing is copyright infringement until you do something to profit from it.

the Boston U Giants in Boston New York are fictional fun. In no way, shape or form am I claiming this is the New York Giants or profiting from that.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6899/o9u0.jpg
that's either black or a really dark blue also

CLW
08-16-2013, 12:50 PM

WRONG.

JBHuskers
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM

WRONG.

No kidding. Check every movie and album that has the FBI warning. You're not profiting from it, but it's infringement.

ram29jackson
08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
WRONG.

ok, its not infringement worth worrying about then. No one bothers involving laws or the legal system until it can profit them or keep someone else from profiting. Sports franchises especially have borrowed from their pasts and similar team names and colors etc since the beginning, so people feel a sense of familiarity with something new.

ram29jackson
08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
No kidding. Check every movie and album that has the FBI warning. You're not profiting from it, but it's infringement.

and how many VHS copies of shows and sports events did you make with blank tapes ? :D

CLW
08-16-2013, 01:28 PM
ok, its not infringement worth worrying about then. No one bothers involving laws or the legal system until it can profit them or keep someone else from profiting. Sports franchises especially have borrowed from their pasts and similar team names and colors etc since the beginning, so people feel a sense of familiarity with something new.

Just Google fine or jail time for illegally downloading movies music.

oweb26
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Or play a porno. Just Sayin :D

ram29jackson
08-16-2013, 01:46 PM

I didn't question legality. I questioned level of importance and actually carrying out of said laws. Hardly anyone, if anyone especially in America is serving hardcore time for that. You cant overload prisons with a bunch of 15 year olds looking for free tunes etc .

look at youtube. Kids are making a few bucks off of playing Madden online and showing a video with commentary of it. And JBs gig he went to last night as well as all gigs. People are filming it with their phones and posting it on youtube. The old laws of bringing a camera to a gig without being a journalist don't apply anymore.

Those downloaders who can show that all their music and films copied from the internet are only for personal use will escape the full weight of the criminal law. But that does not mean personal use downloading is legal. Taking a song or film without paying for it is a breach of copyright. The real issue here is detection and the steps the industries are taking to enforce their members' rights. In a recent development, the British Phonographic Industry has started working with big internet service providers such as Virgin. Thanks to the ISPs' access to IP addresses, the BPI and the ISPs can contact individuals suspected of illegal downloading. Stern letters have been sent which issue threats of disconnection if the file sharing is not discontinued. The BPI has even threatened file-sharers with a court appearance

that's England but I'm sure in America its a hand slap too. Now Japan :D who knows and I don't want to find out

JBHuskers
08-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Okay, I was gone last night so I missed this fact, but every school is under contract next year, but one. There will be an NCAA Football 15.

ram29jackson
08-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Okay, I was gone last night so I missed this fact, but every school is under contract next year, but one. There will be an NCAA Football 15.

well maybe so but they can always change their mind. Its only August. :dunno:

CLW
08-16-2013, 02:42 PM

Yeah contract or not a school could always determine its in their best interest to breach their contract with EA and pull out. EA could sue them for breach of contract which of course would force the school to counter-sue or some type of argument that the contract is unenforceable b/c it requires the school to commit a tort (legal word for a wrong against someone else)

JBHuskers
08-16-2013, 02:46 PM

:fp: :ram?:

CLW
08-16-2013, 03:15 PM
:fp: :ram?:

That post was actually logical. Ram was basically saying the schools could always break their contract(s) with EA.

JBHuskers
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM
That post was actually logical. Ram was basically saying the schools could always break their contract(s) with EA.

So break the contract because of the NCAA lawsuit, but to yet bring up another lawsuit? :D

CLW
08-16-2013, 03:55 PM
So break the contract because of the NCAA lawsuit, but to yet bring up another lawsuit? :D

Yeah there is a premise in contract law that says a contract to perform something that is "illegal" (or intentionally harmful to other 3rd parties) is not enforceable under the law.

The schools could break the contract. EA would sue. Schools would either sue EA and/or argue the contract cannot be enforced by a court b/c it has an "illegal" purpose i.e. to misappropriate the "likeness" of their students.

It's "rich" I know but it's a way for the schools to get out of the contract and avoid the INEVITABLE lawsuit later down the line when your loser alumni want a payday from their alma matter

JBHuskers
08-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Still, once the smoke clears, they'll come crawling back at the sight of money free and clear.

CLW
08-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Still, once the smoke clears, they'll come crawling back at the sight of money free and clear.

Presuming a win at the SCOTUS? Yes.

At this point EA really only has two options:

(1) Option #1: NCAA/College Football Series is DEAD. Settle the lawsuit and cut your losses and focus on Madden/NBA games

(2) Option #2: FIGHT for NCAA/College Football Series' LIFE. You fight the O'bannon/Keller lawsuit all the way up (hopefully getting it before SCOTUS) for YEARS. Your best option is to try to get the SCOTUS to rule you have a 1st Amendment Right to do what you are doing which will prohibit all future lawsuits.

EA suits will have to decide which option is the best route for the company. Honestly, at this point given the current PR being in favor of paying all these "poor" kids that receive COMPLETELY FREE EDUCATIONS EA's best business route is prob option #1.

EA could always come back once the dust settles and pay the athletes or cut a deal later but until the legal groundwork is solid one way or the other its simply not worth it for EA to put out a college game that is a shell of its former self and try to sell it for $60.

The problem with Option 2 is you are in "gray" area right now and it will probably take YEARS to clear up so your going to lose allot of good will while the lawsuit is resolved. You put out a "crappy" "college" game and you will lose allot of customers. You don't put out a game and people lose interest in a college video game.

xRomo9
08-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Player Models need to be completely generic, and should have been all along and we would not have had this problem to start with. With roster being customizable what need is there for them to ship guys with the same jersey # or skin color as their real life counterparts... Cause we all know who QB #2 is for Texas A&M...lol

bdoughty
08-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Touche. If you can swallow the "pride" of not being the primary bread winner its not a bad gig. :nod:

I give you a high five there. Let the women get more of the stress and let the men live longer lives.

bdoughty
08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
There will be an NCAA Football 15.

Can you ask one of your buddies at EA if there will be a patch or a tuner for this years game? Right now I am more concerned about the game I just spent $59.99 on.

SmoothPancakes
08-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Can you ask one of your buddies at EA if there will be a patch or a tuner for this years game? Right now I am more concerned about the game I just spent $59.99 on.

:+1:

I OU a Beatn
08-16-2013, 07:24 PM

I find the lack of communication considering the game's problems...disturbing.

SCClassof93
08-17-2013, 07:55 AM

I find the lack of communication considering the game's problems...disturbing.

Ever play TW14??:fp:

GatorfanStovy
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
screw EA let 2k take over college football!

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
:fp:

SCClassof93
08-19-2013, 05:28 PM
http://www.isdagram.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/facepalm1.gif

bdoughty
08-19-2013, 05:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0cgYOsv.png

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2013, 06:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0cgYOsv.png

:D :D :D :D :D

steelerfan
08-19-2013, 06:11 PM

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

SCClassof93
08-19-2013, 06:20 PM