PDA

View Full Version : Speed Threshold - Is it working correctly (or at all)?

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I really think they built a ridiculous threshold for this game because years before it has never been this bad on normal for online play and OD's that don't adjust it... I can run Bucksweep Read to DAT from Oregon, and the read guy sit, but I get chased down from a DL or LB from the backside before I can turn the corner... this seriously needs to be fixed, Watkins from Clemson, same thing happens when I use him on Jets or something... Top end speed is worthless on defaults this year, nobody can outrun anyone to the edge.

Chris, Tommy, any of you guys heard anything on this possibly getting fixed? Is there any news/rumors on a patch at all for anything? just curious

tyler2026
07-27-2013, 11:25 AM
I have mine at the greatest speed difference and it doesn't seem to make any separation between the slowest and fastest players. DT's Running down Braxton Miller and other various WR's that already have 3 or 4 steps on them. It is stupid!

I OU a Beatn
07-27-2013, 01:19 PM
It's been bad for years. It's REALLY bad this year.

jaymo76
07-27-2013, 01:20 PM
I use zero threshold on slow and I find it helps a bit. However, I am still seeing my speed backs run down by DT's on outside sweeps. It doesn't help that the shoestring dive animation is so effective.

souljahbill
07-27-2013, 01:33 PM
I play on slow, 0 threshold and you guys are right, everyone gets caught from behind.

tyler2026
07-27-2013, 02:53 PM
I play on Very Fast Heisman 0 threshold and still get caught from behind. I haven't found any settings that make a real change in the speed difference.

psusnoop
07-27-2013, 04:23 PM
I never found a set up that truly felt like I could make people look silly with DAT. I'd like to have some separation or difference because it really adds to the game and for OD's it really makes things super competitive for those gems that can change a game with one touch!!

Matt10
07-28-2013, 04:43 AM
95 - try it. There's a thread somewhere on another forum questioning why I say 95 also. Defense plays tighter, and still room for breakaway. Had a PR for touchdown last night, long rb run tonight. I stream all my games www.twitch.tv/matt10l so individuals can go to my profile and watch past broadcasts. Plus I'm part of the OS Community sliders, where we are testing every night on twitchtv - and are finally reaching a conclusion in what seems pretty realistic play.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-28-2013, 09:50 AM
95? you do know the lower the number the greater the separation of the two right?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

souljahbill
07-28-2013, 01:19 PM
95? you do know the lower the number the greater the separation of the two right?

He doesn't want separation. He wants DBs step for step with WRs.

ram29jackson
07-28-2013, 05:02 PM
the human controlled player..the slightest move with the joystick and he has to cut one way or the other and takes all day to go forward while the AI/cpu just throws itself at you as soon as it knows where the ball goes

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-29-2013, 01:09 PM

threshold doesn't effect that much since their speed is closer together... threshold effects the "catch up" of someone who is way slower to someone who is way faster... i.e. my example of a DT chasing down DAT from Oregon, Watkins from Clemson, Miller from tOSU, and any other break away guy that interior linemen should NOT be able to catch up with lol

souljahbill
07-30-2013, 07:54 AM
the human controlled player..the slightest move with the joystick and he has to cut one way or the other and takes all day to go forward while the AI/cpu just throws itself at you as soon as it knows where the ball goes

I've noticed this too for a few years now. Anytime I need to change directions, it seems to take forever to change direction while the CPU does it instantly.

souljahbill
07-30-2013, 07:57 AM
threshold doesn't effect that much since their speed is closer together... threshold effects the "catch up" of someone who is way slower to someone who is way faster... i.e. my example of a DT chasing down DAT from Oregon, Watkins from Clemson, Miller from tOSU, and any other break away guy that interior linemen should NOT be able to catch up with lol

Wouldn't a slow LB or DB running step for step with DAT or Watkins be "catch up speed" considering they should be 5 steps behind on the route?

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
yeah and the lower it is set the greater the gap between speeds... it needs to be fixed at default because at 50 it is like 150 based on previous experience... it just creates unrealistic game play and forces you to rely on the over-powered read options

GoBeavers
07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree 100% it's like they decided when they tweaked the option game that they wanted to force everyone to have to run that style of offense to get it to work. I have had some success in running plain lead, dive, and other rushing plays but it's few and far between and for it to work you have to be exceedingly patient and hope the blocks materialize.

Matt10
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Wrong - that's what EA intended for a higher thresh to do. It doesn't work that way.

cbslink89
08-26-2013, 10:17 PM
I under stand everyone's view point but I just want to play devil's advocate. Here's my point I think we sometimes as fans tend to only remember the good plays during a game, we tend to only remember the big plays the long TD runs but in reality those plays only happen every now and then that's why the plays are on sports center. If you look at most college and NFL rosters you'll see DT and DE's that run 4.7 - 4.8 40 times. Now let's take in consideration that most RB may run 4.3 to 4.5 40 times. I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence but the difference in a 4.8 and a 4.3 is .5 seconds, and these times are taken in 40 yard strait line sprint with no pursuit angles, so how is it impossible for a DT or DE to make a play on a RB trying to get the edge with proper pursuit angles. Most big plays happen because of good blocking and poor pursuit angles by the defense and yes speed does play a role in it but it's not the only factor in big running plays. Since this discussion has been brought up I have started watching real football from a completely objective point of view I've been watching every play and I think my point should at least be taken into consideration that's why I have my threshold at 100, and focus my slider set on blocking and defense reaction time. To get a real feel of the game so when I do break a big run it is more gratifying to me.

gigemaggs99
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
I under stand everyone's view point but I just want to play devil's advocate. Here's my point I think we sometimes as fans tend to only remember the good plays during a game, we tend to only remember the big plays the long TD runs but in reality those plays only happen every now and then that's why the plays are on sports center. If you look at most college and NFL rosters you'll see DT and DE's that run 4.7 - 4.8 40 times. Now let's take in consideration that most RB may run 4.3 to 4.5 40 times. I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence but the difference in a 4.8 and a 4.3 is .5 seconds, and these times are taken in 40 yard strait line sprint with no pursuit angles, so how is it impossible for a DT or DE to make a play on a RB trying to get the edge with proper pursuit angles. Most big plays happen because of good blocking and poor pursuit angles by the defense and yes speed does play a role in it but it's not the only factor in big running plays. Since this discussion has been brought up I have started watching real football from a completely objective point of view I've been watching every play and I think my point should at least be taken into consideration that's why I have my threshold at 100, and focus my slider set on blocking and defense reaction time. To get a real feel of the game so when I do break a big run it is more gratifying to me.

I agree, there aren't too many "big plays" and the ones that are amazing do show up on sportscenter. The problem I have is playing the CPU, it will have all sorts of big plays, their HB flat out, outruns my defense around the corner, up the middle, they bust big runs game after game on me. I'm no defensive guru but the speed separation the CPU gets just isn't seen on my offensive side of the ball. Same goes for the CPU WRs, they can catch a ball in stride and they just take it to the house. Me on the other hand, I can hit a WR in stride on a nice PA pass and the DB will still catch me from behind.

I'm still completely confused as to what sliders vs overall game speed, vs difficulty levels actually do. I have noticed no matter what my sliders are set on, if I play on AA or lower I can break big runs, nice YAC, if I'm on Heisman those plays don't happen for me, they do happen for the CPU no matter what the levels/sliders.

I'm playing in an OD with my buddy, I'm Tulsa so I by no means think I should win a National Title, I take my beatings at the hands of OU or OSU, which in real life that should happen, but against other equally talented C-USA teams depending on my sliders, I either walk all over them and it's too easy or on harder sliders my QB can't figure out which team to throw the ball to. I'm looking for something in the middle, winning the C-USA title each year on easier sliders isn't that challenging, but making it impossible is not fun either. It would be nice if the sliders, game speed, minimum player threshold, etc. etc.. was all mapped out so we could alter/edit the game accordingly.

I read all over the place that I need to learn how to have better "touch" with my passes. I think that works if you are using a Bama, or OU, or other top team with a QB. On the lower tier teams I understand I'm not going to have the next Joe Montana but C-USA teams on not worse than JR. High teams in real life. There the usual drops and bad throws but they shouldn't decide the outcome of games. I'm ok with the INT if I throw into coverage, but when 3rd down conversions hinge on dropped passes and bad throws it makes it hard to move the chains.

As far as learning "touch" it's wild, if I take a good QB to the practice field I can notice a HUGE difference with leading passes, slight input vs full input on the analog stick to "lead" the ball, however if you take a crappy QB that difference is minimal.

All that being said, I have no problem with a C-USA team not being able to do well, the problem is when the same C-USA CPU team has a QB that completes 90+% of his passes, that's when it doesn't seem realistic.