PDA

View Full Version : Pastapadre: NCAA Sales Down Two Years In A Row (Maybe)

CLW
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/07/25/sales-for-ncaa-football-down-from-last-year

I once did a comparison of units sold and $ sold from the "glory years" 04-06 and those games outsold the next-gen versions by a ton. The series has just been in decline for a long time.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I've put up comparisons a few times, too, and I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 years in a row with declining sales. It's simple really - all these games have something majorly wrong with it that completely hampers the experience. Just like defense this year. People aren't going to continue to buy a franchise year in and year out that has problems.

SCClassof93
07-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I've put up comparisons a few times, too, and I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 years in a row with declining sales. It's simple really - all these games have something majorly wrong with it that completely hampers the experience. Just like defense this year. People aren't going to continue to buy a franchise year in and year out that has problems.

+1

CLW
07-25-2013, 01:27 PM

I think you are right but I seem to recall a brief increase in sales with the add on of ODs. Not huge or anything to get it back to the PS2 days but an increase from the REALLY bad year 1st year ps3/360.

But my memory is foggy at this point and i'm too lazy to do the work b/c i don't think anyone serious here really disputes that the series is/has been/ and probably will continue to decline for the foreseeable future.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 01:36 PM
NCAA '10 had 2.29 million units sold. '11 had 2.08 million. '12 had 1.76 million. '13 had 1.68 million.

'10 and '11 included the PS2 versions, but that's irrelevant because as the next gen systems became cheaper, those users should have adopted either the 360 or PS3.

That's 3 years in decline with '14 likely being #4.

jaymo76
07-25-2013, 01:43 PM
I wonder how long before someone at EA hq decides to pull the plug on the Tiburon team and try out a different studio for college football? NCAA football is a great series but at the most basic level it hasn't really changed at all this entire gen and it's only been in the last few years where most features have returned.

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/07/25/sales-for-ncaa-football-down-from-last-year

I once did a comparison of units sold and $ sold from the "glory years" 04-06 and those games outsold the next-gen versions by a ton. The series has just been in decline for a long time.

that can have just as much to do that people didn't buy next gen systems yet and knew a new system game was stripped down. Also this is ultimately a toy parents buy for their kids, its not some big ticket item people do comparison shopping for. It may have nothing to with people not liking a football game and more to do with the economy. You really have no proof of either in this case. There are people that don't need the new version every year. They are happy playing offline and use the same game for 2 or three years.

SCClassof93
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
that can have just as much to do that people didn't buy next gen systems yet and knew a new system game was stripped down. Also this is ultimately a toy parents buy for their kids, its not some big ticket item people do comparison shopping for. It may have nothing to with people not liking a football game and more to do with the economy. You really have no proof of either in this case. There are people that don't need the new version every year. They are happy playing offline and use the same game for 2 or three years.

Allow me to translate: "facts are overrated" ........

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Allow me to translate: "facts are overrated" ........

numbers don't prove or disprove or explain why people did or didn't buy a game ultimately. And its a big assumption that people don't buy it because it insults their football knowledge and how they perceive it should be in a video game.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Well I put it this way. The PS2 games were highly regarded. The next gen games have not been highly regarded. The best performing PS2 games single handily outsold every iteration of the 360/PS3 versions combined. There are a lot more 360/PS3 owners than there were PS2 owners, too. It's pretty obvious why the sales have slacked off so greatly.

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Well I put it this way. The PS2 games were highly regarded. The next gen games have not been highly regarded. The best performing PS2 games single handily outsold every iteration of the 360/PS3 versions combined. There are a lot more 360/PS3 owners than there were PS2 owners, too. It's pretty obvious why the sales have slacked off so greatly.

more people had ps2's/xbox's in the beginning. PS2s/xboxs were cheaper, people didnt cross over yet. Now that they have there is no proof as to why they aren't buying this particular football game. I don't know if I'm right but theres still a lot of assuming here as to why sales are down. But I do know the general public doesn't buy a game based on a lot of football knowledge like the lunatic fringe here and OS etc

Kingpin32
07-25-2013, 02:45 PM
more people had ps2's/xbox's in the beginning. PS2s/xboxs were cheaper, people didnt cross over yet. Now that they have there is no proof as to why they aren't buying this particular football game. I don't know if I'm right but theres still a lot of assuming here as to why sales are down. But I do know the general public doesn't buy a game based on a lot of football knowledge like the lunatic fringe here and OS etc

But the bottom line is, less people are buying the game now.

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 03:03 PM
But the bottom line is, less people are buying the game now.

LOL yep,pretty much

SCClassof93
07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
LOL yep,pretty much

Which I think (fact) was the original point. As to why this is the fact I think IOU said "problems" with the games and gave defense as an example(there are many)...........you hypothesized the economy. I think both are valid depending on each individual that has stopped buying the game.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 03:31 PM
If it was the economy, Call of Duty wouldn't be breaking records with 20,000,000+ copies sold every year. Just saying. :D

If EA makes a GOOD college football game, they'll sell as well or better than than did in the previous generation. Not a doubt in my mind. But, they need to be consistently good. The thing that screwed them over was the engine they used before infinity engine. It was straight up garbage. Horrible graphics, horrible animations, sluggish, terrible physics, etc...For years they just tweaked it and made the best they could out of it. They bring in the new engine this year, and guess what? Even with the problems, it's easily the best football game this generation.

For next gen, if they're able to have a good engine right out of the gate, then they can take those 2 or 3 years to tweak everything and get it right.

skipwondah33
07-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Well isn't nearly all things down in sales in comparisons to their 2003-2006?

What maybe not the iPhone but can't think of much else, especially video games.

skipwondah33
07-25-2013, 03:35 PM
If it was the economy, Call of Duty wouldn't be breaking records with 20,000,000+ copies sold every year. Just saying. :D
People like their violence

Plus that game isn't complicated. They dumb it down and little 11-12 yr olds can play it because their parents get it for them.

They will pick that game 20x over before picking a sports game of course. You can pick any COD game up right now without ever playing it and be good at it. It's easy. Sports games are a little more difficult, not entirely but still

Doesn't mean COD games are quality and good...just means they already got the consumer and they will buy anything...especially 11-12 year olds.

GTA will do the same. Violence...and 11-12 year olds will be buying it.

SCClassof93
07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

If EA makes a GOOD college football game, they'll sell as well or better than than did in the previous generation. Not a doubt in my mind. But, they need to be consistently good. The thing that screwed them over was the engine they used before infinity engine. It was straight up garbage. Horrible graphics, horrible animations, sluggish, terrible physics, etc...For years they just tweaked it and made the best they could out of it. They bring in the new engine this year, and guess what? Even with the problems, it's easily the best football game this generation.

For next gen, if they're able to have a good engine right out of the gate, then they can take those 2 or 3 years to tweak everything and get it right.

I agree with you but I do think the economy has some influence. In a roaring economy maybe some of those COD fans buy another game as well, perhaps NCAA.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Point being, it's breaking records. I just have to assume that if the economy is the reason why someone isn't willing to fork over $60 for NCAA, then that would also hold true for all video games, which isn't the case. To me, it boils right down to people having bought previous iterations, realized it's going to have problems, and just decided that it's not worth the yearly investment until it becomes a good franchise again.

skipwondah33
07-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Point being, it's breaking records. I just have to assume that if the economy is the reason why someone isn't willing to fork over $60 for NCAA, then that would also hold true for all video games, which isn't the case. To me, it boils right down to people having bought previous iterations, realized it's going to have problems, and just decided that it's not worth the yearly investment until it becomes a good franchise again.I think it's a culture thing myself

Weather COD is shit or not people are still buying it. One because it is addicting but still it's easy to play.

You can't say that every year COD games are good and worth buying every year. They are the same thing just different maps and guns.

BUT again as I said, more kids are playing COD than football. It's not hard to understand and any one of them fuckers can get online and get good at it glitching up a storm.

Plus they want to play what they are not suppose to be playing. My nephew and everyone of his friends get every COD game that comes out. They don't know anything about graphics, gameplay, new features. All they know is it's a new COD game!!!!! woooooo!!!!

They are all 11-13

I don't know many true fans of a team or football at the age of 11-13. But I know alot that are fans of violence, shooting their friends in a game and doing something they know isn't real.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
That's relative to COD sales vs NCAA sales. That's not relative to whether or not NCAA is suffering because of the economy. Call of Duty and any other shooter is always going to sell way more than NCAA. However, if NCAA is losing sales due to the economy, so should Call of Duty. Considering how Call of Duty somehow sells more than it did the previous year, that's not the case.

I mean, I suppose a small reason for sluggish sales could be the economy, but the majority reason is simply the quality of the game.

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
I agree with you but I do think the economy has some influence. In a roaring economy maybe some of those COD fans buy another game as well, perhaps NCAA.

Amurica loves a good shooter-bang bang shoot shoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbXfk51R1o

ryby6969
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I honestly think COD has the perfect model including when it releases. It is so close to the holidays it will always sell like crazy.

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 03:54 PM

On the developer side of things, a lot of studios had trouble, especially with the PS3 architecture from the get go, and never caught up.

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I mean, I suppose a small reason for sluggish sales could be the economy, but the majority reason is simply the quality of the game.

Economy is a BIG factor. Big difference from 2006 to 2013.

SCClassof93
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
That's relative to COD sales vs NCAA sales. That's not relative to whether or not NCAA is suffering because of the economy. Call of Duty and any other shooter is always going to sell way more than NCAA. However, if NCAA is losing sales due to the economy, so should Call of Duty. Considering how Call of Duty somehow sells more than it did the previous year, that's not the case.

As someone that has been in sales (collectibles, real estate etc) I can tell you this economy does have an effect. How much on an item like this? Who knows? My point, again I agree with you, was that many consumers may be have to make choices on their game purchases that are more difficult than last gen. You can have a game a month instead of two or four this quarter instead of five etc. Obviously COD sales have not been hurt but I do think overall game sales are down across the board (someone posted this somewhere) due to the economy. Bottom line, during tough times don't make stale sub par stuff.

skipwondah33
07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I honestly think COD has the perfect model including when it releases. It is so close to the holidays it will always sell like crazy.Yep

Put it this way. Some consumers will wait to purchase that before they buy any other game

It's a given it will sell every year

Again not entirely because it's this great series. It's a huge multiplayer shooter that nearly everyone can play

It's not intimidating at all.

However diving into Madden or NCAA on the otherhand is different.

And I wasn't saying it was entirely the economy. If that were the case not much would be selling, but it does play a factor. I know I won't get certain games for the simple fact that I can't afford to buy all the games I want. So I have to pick and choose.

Most of this young generation was 2,3,4 when NCAA series first started. Even 8-9 years ago they were too young to really enjoy the series if they played at all.

And COD puts out the same product every year, even you have said it before IOU. We realize it in NCAA because all of us have been die hards playing this series and scrutinizing it. 11-12 year olds can't give that kind of feedback for COD.

SCClassof93
07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Yep

Put it this way. Some consumers will wait to purchase that before they buy any other game

It's a given it will sell every year

Again not entirely because it's this great series. It's a huge multiplayer shooter that nearly everyone can play

It's not intimidating at all.

However diving into Madden or NCAA on the otherhand is different.

And I wasn't saying it was entirely the economy. If that were the case not much would be selling, but it does play a factor. I know I won't get certain games for the simple fact that I can't afford to buy all the games I want. So I have to pick and choose.

Most of this young generation was 2,3,4 when NCAA series first started. Even 8-9 years ago they were too young to really enjoy the series if they played at all.

And COD puts out the same product every year, even you have said it before IOU. We realize it in NCAA because all of us have been die hards playing this series and scrutinizing it. 11-12 year olds can't give that kind of feedback for COD.

http://show-me-your-tds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Girls-Playing-Madden.gif

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 04:06 PM
On the developer side of things, a lot of studios had trouble, especially with the PS3 architecture from the get go, and never caught up.

Same engine on 360, same garbage.

Economy is a BIG factor. Big difference from 2006 to 2013.

Again, I don't buy it. It may be a factor, but it's far from a big one. People have shown that if it's a quality game, they're more than willing to invest their $60. Besides, it has nothing to do with 2006. This decline didn't start until NCAA '10 going into '11. It was doing just fine then but people realized the quality of the game wasn't improving all that much, hence why the numbers have dipped since.

As someone that has been in sales (collectibles, real estate etc) I can tell you this economy does have an effect. How much on an item like this? Who knows? My point, again I agree with you, was that many consumers may be have to make choices on their game purchases that are more difficult than last gen. You can have a game a month instead of two or four this quarter instead of five etc. Obviously COD sales have not been hurt but I do think overall game sales are down across the board (someone posted this somewhere) due to the economy. Bottom line, during tough times don't make stale sub par stuff.

I believe they are down across the board, but it isn't at the level NCAA is at. From '10 to '13 they lost somewhere around 20% of their sales. There's absolutely no way that's a direct result of the economy. The big reason is the quality/staleness of the game (it hasn't had any balance whatsoever to offense/defense since '07 on PS2 and people are clearly sick of it), with the economy being a small reason.

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Same engine on 360, same garbage.

Games have to be identical. 360 actually holds what could be done on NCAA back. I wasn't really talking about NCAA specifically when I was talking about the architecture, I was talking about the industry quality as a whole.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Games have to be identical. 360 actually holds what could be done on NCAA back. I wasn't really talking about NCAA specifically when I was talking about the architecture, I was talking about the industry quality as a whole.

No argument there, but there's no reason for EA to have kept the game on the same mess of an engine for 6 or 7 years. I still firmly believe that almost all the issues we still see today (horrible AI logic in zone coverage, physics within line interaction, speed/acceleration, etc...) are a direct result of limitations imposed by the engine they were using. Not to mention it was one of the choppiest things I've played.

They're on the right track with Infinity (it's finally smooth), but they're still so far away on major things like zone/man defense, pass rush, better blitz angles, better disguise of coverage, alignment of the defense, realistic speed and acceleration, etc... A good engine to start next gen would go a long ways in getting NCAA fans the game they deserve.

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Besides..its not like they are ever going to sell like 4 million copies of this game in a year. 2 million is the mountain top that may never be reached. ...or 3mil in a euphoric stretch

shooters are easy..you die, you get back up again and shoot some more. America is lazy and has a short attention span. Sports games require playing defense and tolerating losing and giving up the football to not sacrifice field position. Most people/kids who buy the game don't even punt in the first place and will never consider doing so because that's boring and not fun.

even if /when this is some great game it wont interest a lot of people anyway for all those reasons.

my friends 8th grade son played dad in a football game and dad beat him because son didn't understand how to press the buttons for bullet passes and just kept throwing lobs. He lost, got frustrated and just popped in the Black ops and had his fun.

people don't want "games" with a learning curve or the prospect of losing attached.

just comparing shooters to sports games. It has nothing to do with why the drop off the last 2 years

Kingpin32
07-25-2013, 06:07 PM
I think the point of entry for new College football fans is high. Considering the COD comparison, anybody can pick up and play COD without having to know any kind of back story. NCAA and most sports games in general require some type of knowledge, some type of fandom. I actually think that the sale numbers now, even if they create the perfect NCAA game, will still be the same, partially because they've burned old fans to the point of no return, and that younger COD generation hasn't grown into "college football fans" and may never reach that point.

It'll be hard, practically impossible for EA to get new fans and customers for NCAA. Madden is a bit easier, because it's NFL, people know the NFL. But even still, if they did a survey of everyone who buys next year iteration, a would bet money that more that 80% of them are repeat customers.

bdoughty
07-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Kids like killing things on their TV. NCAA does not allow you to kill things on the TV. The NCAA is no more, I can save this franchise.

http://i.imgur.com/XAvJ2AE.jpg

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
No argument there, but there's no reason for EA to have kept the game on the same mess of an engine for 6 or 7 years. I still firmly believe that almost all the issues we still see today (horrible AI logic in zone coverage, physics within line interaction, speed/acceleration, etc...) are a direct result of limitations imposed by the engine they were using. Not to mention it was one of the choppiest things I've played.

They're on the right track with Infinity (it's finally smooth), but they're still so far away on major things like zone/man defense, pass rush, better blitz angles, better disguise of coverage, alignment of the defense, realistic speed and acceleration, etc... A good engine to start next gen would go a long ways in getting NCAA fans the game they deserve.

Fully agree.

CLW
07-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Besides..its not like they are ever going to sell like 4 million copies of this game in a year. 2 million is the mountain top that may never be reached. ...or 3mil in a euphoric stretch

shooters are easy..you die, you get back up again and shoot some more. America is lazy and has a short attention span. Sports games require playing defense and tolerating losing and giving up the football to not sacrifice field position. Most people/kids who buy the game don't even punt in the first place and will never consider doing so because that's boring and not fun.

even if /when this is some great game it wont interest a lot of people anyway for all those reasons.

my friends 8th grade son played dad in a football game and dad beat him because son didn't understand how to press the buttons for bullet passes and just kept throwing lobs. He lost, got frustrated and just popped in the Black ops and had his fun.

people don't want "games" with a learning curve or the prospect of losing attached.

just comparing shooters to sports games. It has nothing to do with why the drop off the last 2 years

WRONG

07 3.32 million

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+07&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

06 sold 2.81 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+06&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

05 2.53 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+2005&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

04 2.25 million

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+2004&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

I'd note VG did note the slight bump I was thinking of between 09 and 10 but its been DOWNHILL ever since 07 basically.

ram29jackson
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
WRONG

07 3.32 million

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+07&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

06 sold 2.81 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+06&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

05 2.53 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+2005&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

04 2.25 million

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=NCAA+Football+2004&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

I'd note VG did note the slight bump I was thinking of between 09 and 10 but its been DOWNHILL ever since 07 basically.

nope, i'm not wrong. I'm just off by half a million for one year LOL.

ok, fine 3.3 mil is a nice total but I doubt they get that back within the next year or 2 even if this became some football gamers Avalon of football games.

cdj
07-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm seeing a few comments in pasta's article that Moore's comments may be based off pre-order numbers and not final sales numbers.

While I expected sales of NCAA 14 to be down (for a couple reasons), VG Chartz is telling a different story:

NCAA 13
NCAA 14
Change

360 W1
+20,309 (+9%)

PS3 W1
+9,859 (+5%)

TOTAL
+30,168 (+7%)

I would wait for July NPD numbers to definitely say sales are up or down, but the best info currently available says that sales are up.

Stan HAMsen
07-26-2013, 11:42 AM
There are a lot more options for entertainment now, too. I suppose it's also possible, maybe even likely, that attention spans have gotten even shorter over the last 7 or 8 years. Lots more action in an hour of GTA or COD than spending that same hour to play one game of a 12+ game season.

JBHuskers
07-26-2013, 11:46 AM
So another example of trying to be first to the news rather than be right.

I OU a Beatn
07-26-2013, 11:55 AM
That would go in line with my theory. It's the best NCAA this generation, so it should probably outsell the others. Come on, NCAA, make me right!

SmoothPancakes
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
So another example of trying to be first to the news rather than be right.

Pretty much. That's how it is everywhere these days. Right or wrong, the only thing that matters is being first. The second and third ones to report it, people won't care because they've already read it. Exactly why media today (ALL MEDIA, left right and center, CLW) is a steaming pile of shit these days.

JBHuskers
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Pretty much. That's how it is everywhere these days. Right or wrong, the only thing that matters is being first. The second and third ones to report it, people won't care because they've already read it. Exactly why media today (ALL MEDIA, left right and center, CLW) is a steaming pile of shit these days.

I just noticed your avatar :D

SmoothPancakes
07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
I just noticed your avatar :D

:D

Yeah, I just changed it this morning. I was thinking about changing back to Judge Haller, so while doing a Google image search, I came across that picture of him with that look, and the thought instantly hit me to edit the picture as so. :D

CLW
07-26-2013, 12:26 PM
14 may outsell 13 but the series is still a shell of its former self in terms of popularity and are coming no where close to the "glory days" of 04-07.

xMrHitStickx904
07-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Fact is this : the PS2 glory days of NCAA made you want to buy the next version of the game every year, something was added that made the next iteration of it viable. 02 added the option. 03 expanded option plays. 04 brought better graphics, & expanded the viability of offense. 05 brought Home Field Advantage, & it was the last pure defensive NCAA, meaning that man & zone coverage was almost perfect. Additionally, the hit stick was added, except it was with the trigger, not the analog. Only drawback was that receivers dropped everything. 06 is hailed as the best NCAA game ever in most circles, others say it's 04. NCAA 06 took 04/05, & combined it into the best EA Football game. Great graphics for its time, you could play defense, but stars shined like they were supposed to, & Heisman Mode was added. Great game. 07 added different defensive assignments akin to Madden, another solid game. However, next gen NCAA has been terrible. When the product is bad, & skepticism from customers linger, the decrease in sales is inevitable. The sales decrease is not a reflection of the viability of a NCAA game being relevant, it's a reflection of years of a subpar product that is still making up ground in the court of public opinion.

jaymo76
07-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Fact is this : the PS2 glory days of NCAA made you want to buy the next version of the game every year, something was added that made the next iteration of it viable. 02 added the option. 03 expanded option plays. 04 brought better graphics, & expanded the viability of offense. 05 brought Home Field Advantage, & it was the last pure defensive NCAA, meaning that man & zone coverage was almost perfect. Additionally, the hit stick was added, except it was with the trigger, not the analog. Only drawback was that receivers dropped everything. 06 is hailed as the best NCAA game ever in most circles, others say it's 04. NCAA 06 took 04/05, & combined it into the best EA Football game. Great graphics for its time, you could play defense, but stars shined like they were supposed to, & Heisman Mode was added. Great game. 07 added different defensive assignments akin to Madden, another solid game. However, next gen NCAA has been terrible. When the product is bad, & skepticism from customers linger, the decrease in sales is inevitable. The sales decrease is not a reflection of the viability of a NCAA game being relevant, it's a reflection of years of a subpar product that is still making up ground in the court of public opinion.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Another thing though is that people have such high expectations today. Things we would have overlooked only a decade ago would be torn to shreds now.

morsdraconis
07-26-2013, 10:09 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say. Another thing though is that people have such high expectations today. Things we would have overlooked only a decade ago would be torn to shreds now.

That, in and of itself, is the reason for the issues now. Myself and every person on this website wants realism above all else. That's going to continue to be impossible because replicating realistic football is impossible.

During the PS2 days, we knew that that was impossible, so we never expected it. Everyone that thinks back fondly to those games are doing so with rosecolored glasses. Going back to try to play those games now would be terrible because we've come to expect perfection instead of taking what we could get like it was back then.

ram29jackson
07-26-2013, 11:03 PM
That, in and of itself, is the reason for the issues now. Myself and every person on this website wants realism above all else. That's going to continue to be impossible because replicating realistic football is impossible.

During the PS2 days, we knew that that was impossible, so we never expected it. Everyone that thinks back fondly to those games are doing so with rosecolored glasses. Going back to try to play those games now would be terrible because we've come to expect perfection instead of taking what we could get like it was back then.

and the ps2 players look too small now anyway after all this time :P

I OU a Beatn
07-26-2013, 11:03 PM

I've gone back and played '04, '05, and '07 all within the past 2 years and I loved them every bit as much as I did back in the day. Offense and defense was balanced. That's why I loved them so much. Every game this generation has been so one sided one way or another it's borderline unplayable against another human.

cdj
08-15-2013, 06:41 PM
From IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/ncaa-football-14-leads-us-sales-charts-for-july?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter):

According to NPD analyst Liam Callahan, NCAA took the top spot despite sales dipping slightly compared to last year’s game.

No numbers given in the article.

However, VG Chartz lists NCAA Football 14 as having an overall sales increase of 9% from the same point over NCAA Football 13.