PDA

View Full Version : NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract [UPDATED with EA Statement]

cdj
07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8135/8697743944_feb8fd4f7e_o.jpg

Per the NCAA (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/july/ncaa+will+not+renew+ea+sports+contract):

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

Time will tell on what this means for EA SPORTS. Could this mean the end of college football video games? Or does this mean the birth of EA SPORTS College Football with the company needing to reach licenses with individual schools and no longer needing to have the game meet the standards of the NCAA?

UPDATE:
As the story continues to unfold, many are reporting that while the NCAA would no longer be involved with the EA SPORTS game, that does still leave the possibility of EA SPORTS contracting directly with the CLC (Collegiate Licensing Company) which does "represent nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA." That would allow for EA to continue to release a game by just simply changing the title (maybe Bill Walsh Football 2015? College Football 2015?).

Brett McMurphy of ESPN has stated on twitter that a game will be released beyond this year, just without the affiliation of the NCAA.

We'll continue to share more information about the story as it continues to unfold.

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?742-NCAA-will-not-renew-EA-Sports-contract

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 01:44 PM
My first guess. College Football 15 instead of NCAA Football 15. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

xMrHitStickx904
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I think the series itself is done. I don't see many people buying a game where it's inevitably going to be stripped down. Not all of the bowls will be there, some schools many not appear. it'll be a mess.

AustinWolv
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Looks like the need to hang on to current gen titles shall exist until things flesh out......

Kingpin32
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Honestly, I think the series itself is done. I don't see many people buying a game where it's inevitably going to be stripped down. Not all of the bowls will be there, some schools many not appear. it'll be a mess.

I think it has less to do with sales, and more of the NCAA being in dicey water with the paying of student athletes.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Now I really have no reason to jump to next-gen for a few years.

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Looks like the need to hang on to current gen titles shall exist until things flesh out......

As long as the OD servers stay up :nod:

morsdraconis
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Whoa. I gotta say, of all the things that I thought could have happened with all the bullshit legal stuff happening, this was certainly not it.

This game really might be dead. Holy shit.

GatorfanStovy
07-17-2013, 01:53 PM
my bad didn't know there was a thread on this.

cdj
07-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think they would need to individually license all schools, bowls, etc.:

The CLC represents nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA (http://www.clc.com/About-CLC.aspx).

So long as they have a deal with the CLC, I think they have rights to many universities. The bigger question is if the company feels the investment is worth the title at that point.

EDIT - From CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/22796985/ncaa-declines-to-renew-contract-with-ea-sports):

If the NCAA's conferences and entities like the Collegiate Licensing Company choose to continue its cooperation with EA, the only major change to the series could be the name. On the other hand, the rapidly deteriorating relationship between the NCAA and EA Sports could make renewing those licenses individually an awkward proposition.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Guess when my game arrives next week, I can start on my 60-year dynasty.

Kingpin32
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think they would need to individually license all schools, bowls, etc.:

The CLC represents nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA (http://www.clc.com/About-CLC.aspx).

So long as they have a deal with the CLC, I think they have rights to many universities. The bigger question is if the company feels the investment is worth the title at that point.
I think if Live flops again, EA Sports is down to 2 big selling games Madden and FIFA. I'm not sure on the numbers for NCAA and Tiger Woods, but I'm sure NCAA is in the top 3. They might still need a way to bring in that NCAA crowd.

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:00 PM

EDIT - From CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/22796985/ncaa-declines-to-renew-contract-with-ea-sports):

If the NCAA's conferences and entities like the Collegiate Licensing Company choose to continue its cooperation with EA, the only major change to the series could be the name. On the other hand, the rapidly deteriorating relationship between the NCAA and EA Sports could make renewing those licenses individually an awkward proposition.

Watch the game not miss a beat and the NCAA comes crawling back in a couple years :D

CLW
07-17-2013, 02:00 PM
100% lawsuit related

EDIT: Also EA will have the same issues so long as they market/sell a "college" game.

Kiss the series good bye folks college sports games are DONE unless/until they get an outright victory by the SCOTUS.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm cool playing Saban '15. :)

CLW
07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
As long as the OD servers stay up :nod:

They won't b/c athletes can sue; the NCAA could sue for using its logo after the K expired; etc...

THIS IS BAD NEWS! The series is FINISHED unless they get a complete victory in the Keller lawsuit. Again, I hate to say I told you so.....

Kingpin32
100% lawsuit related

EDIT: Also EA will have the same issues so long as they market/sell a "college" game.

Kiss the series good bye folks college sports games are DONE unless/until they get an outright victory by the SCOTUS.

Or they pay the players.

DertyMat
Wow, I was hoping 2k sports would get a crack or some other company to add competition. However I guess no?

It seems it has more to do with the costs of litigation involving NCAA/EA/Student Athletes. I can't believe they couldnt find an easier way to deal with that issue. I mean Just release a totally fake in-game roster, but an online roster editor early so players can customize it.

Well it's too late for that.

cdj
07-17-2013, 02:05 PM

psuexv
07-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Yeah this has always been interesting to me. The NCAA is just an association that the schools belong to and the licensing of the individual schools and such is done primarily by the CLC. From that link the CLC licenses the NCAA so who knows how that relationship actually works out.

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Or they pay the players.

NCAA wouldn't allow that

CLW
07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Or they pay the players.

NCAA won't allow it as it would destroy student-athlete eligibility.

Won't work (unless EA and CLC want to be defendants in lawsuits from now until eternity). My bet is EA drops it unless they are confident they can win the lawsuit at the SCOTUS.

psuexv
07-17-2013, 02:08 PM

So we will basically go back to this since I don't remember NCAA logo being used anywhere in this game

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/60/Bill_Walsh_College_Football_Coverart.png/220px-Bill_Walsh_College_Football_Coverart.png

Or as Bill said Saban '15

Kingpin32
07-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I meant the NCAA, not EA paying the players.

cdj
07-17-2013, 02:11 PM

CLW
07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
So we will basically go back to this since I don't remember NCAA logo being used anywhere in this game

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/60/Bill_Walsh_College_Football_Coverart.png/220px-Bill_Walsh_College_Football_Coverart.png

Or as Bill said Saban '15

Again that won't stop future lawsuits against EA and the CLC and potentially even the Universities. I'm honestly surprised each and every Div I university wasn't also named as a Defendant for "allowing" (and profiting from) their students' likeness to be stolen.

Its really just not a feasible business model with class-action lawsuits every year + the lesser sells (compared to Madden).

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Oh full circle to the Bill Walsh days.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
LOL a week after the game comes out. Way to ef up sales for EA . nIce job NCAA :D

anyway, i'm confident at some point soon enough of a company coming up with a cool fictional college football game or some such thing

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Oh full circle to the Bill Walsh days.

Someone give Bill a call to be on the cover of the 15 game, just for old times sake!

xMrHitStickx904
07-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, twitter never fails & it seems like there's a much better understanding as to what could happen. As long as the CLC remains as an option for EA, the game would remain, & there would be no NCAA logos in the game. I'm good with it.

JBHuskers
After what CDJ posted about the facts of the CLC, and what Owen Good is hearing, I'm pretty confident there will be continuation of the series.

CLW
Owen Good apparently follows TGT's lawyer:

The NCAA is basically saying we are OUT it's not worth it. EA is it worth getting sued every year. The only way to keep the series alive is a 5-4 SCOTUS ruling in EA/NCAA's favor at the SCOTUS.

You people need to listen to TGT's resident lawyer when he talks law. He might just know what he's talking about. Just sayin'

Escobar
07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Or they could get the CLC agreement and completely have random players on the rosters like All Pro Football. Making roster editing that much harder.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
After what CDJ posted about the facts of the CLC, and what Owen Good is hearing, I'm pretty confident there will be continuation of the series.

hope so

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Or they could get the CLC agreement and completely have random players on the rosters like All Pro Football. Making roster editing that much harder.

But simpler if they could get a good working online roster editor up.

CLW
07-17-2013, 02:21 PM

They could get sued for that as well. It's not as solid as the current case but a conspiracy theory would certainly be enough to satisfy the Plaintiffs' lawyers. Just like Napster et al. "technically" didn't do anything wrong they still got sued into oblivion for creating a product that allowed "wrongs" to occur.

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Im no law man, but i think this would be best for both us and them. in game roster editing is horrid anyway.just release the online editor a week or two before the game and we would all be set. Hell, i wish they would do that now.

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
They could get sued for that as well. It's not as solid as the current case but a conspiracy theory would certainly be enough to satisfy the Plaintiffs' lawyers. Just like Napster et al. "technically" didn't do anything wrong they still got sued into oblivion for creating a product that allowed "wrongs" to occur.

Well Video game companies are always getting sued or are in litigation. They have a budget for such things because the world is so Sue hungry. I worked on the past two Call of Duties and there legal team has to be the most difficult to work with because they have so much money going out in lawsuits. We were constantly removing stuff from the game.

Im sure every release has a legal budget for stuff like this. Frivolous or not they usually settle.

MtneerManiac
07-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Doubtful.

WolverineJay
07-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately this is the end for college football games I feel. I mean the cost and time to license every fight song, stadium, team entrance, uniform, mascots, and school logo would be a massive undertaking for a yearly title release. I have followed the lawsuit and quite frankly figured the NCAA was going to pull out of their partnership with EA Sports as soon as they could which I guess is June 2014.

RIP NCAA Football, 21 years in the video game industry is a heck of a run. My condolences go out to all who will lose their job over this decision.

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Kinda different though. Napster was allowing people to download licensed music.

Online roster editor enables people to change numbers around, as long as it's not for profit...

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately this is the end for college football games I feel. I mean the cost and time to license every fight song, stadium, team entrance, uniform, mascots, and school logo would be a massive undertaking for a yearly title release. I have followed the lawsuit and quite frankly figured the NCAA was going to pull out of their partnership with EA Sports as soon as they could which I guess is June 2014.

RIP NCAA Football, 21 years in the video game industry is a heck of a run. My condolences go out to all who will lose their job over this decision.

The CLC is tied into all of that, they don't have to go indivually on it.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 02:34 PM
EA should let its internet cult of followers know how the future pans out. Like , how long will teambuilder stay up etc ?:)

WolverineJay
07-17-2013, 02:39 PM
The CLC is tied into all of that, they don't have to go indivually on it.
EA would have to license the BCS and every major bowl or just go the generic route like NCAA Football 99 with fake bowls and a 16 team playoff.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
i dont think it is the end... because once the NCAA is removed, then it just the universities to blame... but the counter to that is how much does any of the Ducks' players make off the crap load of apparel i buy each year?

NONE.

so if the players want to sue because of the University having a team in the game, in which it is released as all players being 4'1" weighing 150 lbs and having green skin on the game and all players have "00" as their number then so be it... (just give us that online editor to do all 120+ teams outrselves... case closed) right after they sue for selling a #6 jersey, #8 jersey tee, and any other stuff i buy that has their "likeness" on it...

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Someone give Bill a call to be on the cover of the 15 game, just for old times sake!

Need to perform a seance.

CLW
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Kinda different though. Napster was allowing people to download licensed music.

Online roster editor enables people to change numbers around, as long as it's not for profit...

And race; height; weight; Hometown; equipment; Name; etc... - which Plaintiffs lawyers equate to "likeness"

Online roster editor allows people to download the unauthorized "likeness" of college athletes w/o their consent (or so goes the logic of Plaintiffs' lawyers).

Could it be done? Probably if it was ONLY a number? But with people here flipping out about wrong heights; weights; race; socks; helmets; dreads; etc....

you really think a title with all that being wrong would sell? i doubt it.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 02:44 PM
again... universities already make money off apparel from these guys... so there is no difference

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Well Video game companies are always getting sued or are in litigation. They have a budget for such things because the world is so Sue hungry. I worked on the past two Call of Duties and there legal team has to be the most difficult to work with because they have so much money going out in lawsuits. We were constantly removing stuff from the game.

Im sure every release has a legal budget for stuff like this. Frivolous or not they usually settle.

What?

:D :D :D

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
how long will NCAA 13 servers be live ? are they dead already ?

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Need to perform a seance.

Yeah forgot he was dead :D

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:49 PM
EA would have to license the BCS and every major bowl or just go the generic route like NCAA Football 99 with fake bowls and a 16 team playoff.

The CLC represents nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Or they pay the players.

NCAA wouldn't allow that

they do...just in a different way ;)

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Well that's the point of some of what has been said in this forum. The CLC and EA will have to work something out. EA only has to pay the CLC.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 02:54 PM
mattbertz @mattbertz
ESPN reports that EA Sports will continue to make college football games without the NCAA's participation.
12:46 PM - 17 Jul 2013

per twitter

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Wrong, The CLC has all those licenses as well Look at there site, they basically have licenses to EVERY bowl and team. Not sure about Notre Lame(go Trojans) though.

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/17/ncaa-decides-not-to-renew-ea-sports-contract.aspx

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Wrong, The CLC has all those licenses as well Look at there site, they basically have licenses to EVERY bowl and team. Not sure about Notre Lame(go Trojans) though.

Notre Dame is separate, but EA already has a deal with Notre Dame themselves.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DertyMat
07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Sorry JBHusker I keep repeating what your saying, this thread is moving fast. OFF TOPIC: I noticed some of you guys kept your NCAASTRATEGIES.com Forum names, did you have to re-sign up here? is there a thread? can i use my old Username and have all my stats?

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Sorry JBHusker I keep repeating what your saying, this thread is moving fast. OFF TOPIC: I noticed some of you guys kept your NCAASTRATEGIES.com Forum names, did you have to re-sign up here? is there a thread? can i use my old Username and have all my stats?
Since we're not associated at all with that site, you do have to re-register.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 02:59 PM

if you are posting here... then you have already signed up here lol

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 03:00 PM

We're separate from ncaastrategies.com. We broke off into our own site in 2010. Shoot me a PM, I think I can change your username in the admin.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 03:01 PM
i wonder if they take a year off before releasing the game? come up with a new name, etc... or just run with it as is for '15

WolverineJay
07-17-2013, 03:03 PM

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/17/ncaa-decides-not-to-renew-ea-sports-contract.aspx

Well there it is. Thanks for posting this it allows my mind to do a 180 since I was pretty down thinking this was the end of college football games in the near future.

GBRNation
07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
This is interesting. I don't think any of us should stress out about it. I don't believe this to be the last NCAA football game ever (minus the
NCAA). Also I'm sure we will find out more about it in the coming weeks and months.

Sent via Tapatalk

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
i wonder if they take a year off before releasing the game? come up with a new name, etc... or just run with it as is for '15

That's a good question, but with Tiger seemingly taking a year off, I'm not sure. Once the fiscal report for that quarter is due, that could give us the answer.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
hello CFL !

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/gallery/2009/07/69674555237.jpg

xMrHitStickx904
07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, looks like this crisis is averted.

OSUCowboyofMD
07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Just waiting on EA confirmation on the whole situation

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 03:20 PM

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 03:24 PM
guess that answers my little question... now for them to get started on that editor for us to use

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 03:28 PM
well...considering NCAAUT.

They could make a so called classic college football game with ex college greats surrounded by generics

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 03:29 PM
From the AVP Business Development at Texas A&M University. Director Collegiate Licensing Texas A&M System.

I OU a Beatn
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm sure they will renew with the CLC, but the important thing here is that it can not be an EXCLUSIVE license until 2019, so someone else will have a shot at making a college football game should they want to (they wont):

Additionally, the Settlement provides that Electronic Arts will not enter into an exclusive trademark license with the AFL for five years from the date of approval of the Settlement; and that Electronic Arts will not renew its current collegiate football trademark license with the Collegiate Licensing Company (“CLC”) on an exclusive basis for five years after it expires in 2014; and that Electronic Arts will not seek any new exclusive trademark license for the purpose of making football videogames with the CLC, the NCAA, or any NCAA member institution covered by the current exclusive license for five years after the expiration of the current CLC agreement.

Source (https://www.easportslitigation.com/Home/FAQ)

CLW
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
We shall see but fans of the series shouldn't hold their breath. I have a BAD feeling about O'bannon/Keller et al. People really want to fundamentally change college athletics and they are using this lawsuit as leverage to do it. We are talking damages from a liberal San Francisco jury/judge in the hundreds of millions of dollars plus punitive damages to punish EA/NCAA.

As a business decision, its simply smart for EA to cut their losses now and move on. NCAA doesn't sell that well and I think a large % of NCAA "only" guys like myself would probably bite the bullet and buy Madden so they aren't really losing all that much in sales.

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 03:45 PM
One word. Settlement.

CLW
07-17-2013, 03:50 PM
One word. Settlement.

Possibly. I dunno what Keller/O'bannon and Plaintiffs' counsel want $ from this. I also dunno what EA wants to do. Maybe they want to fight it all the way up.

USUALLY class-actions settle out of court IMMEDIATELY following the class-certification ruling (which is pending now before the court).

IF the case doesn't settle shortly after the judge certifies the class (i'd be stunned if it doesn't get certified) usually a month or two it's going to be a LONG fight.

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
:hump:

Re-up through 2020

CLW
07-17-2013, 04:00 PM

jaymo76
07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Fingers crossed this isn't the end of the NCAA series...

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 04:02 PM

LOL

CLW
07-17-2013, 04:04 PM
:hump:

Re-up through 2020

That would be BALLSY especially if EA doesn't have an easy out clause in case the lawsuit doesn't go "well" for them. It could mean EA is in for the FIGHT or it could mean nothing all dependent on the contractual language (which we will never see) of course.

AustinWolv
07-17-2013, 04:22 PM

Funny shit.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Worst selling version EVER!!! Everyone would boycott the shit outta that which would be awesome if they got a cut of that year's game.

DynastyJunkie
07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
It's just a matter of the name. In the end the video game will survive don't freak out ppl. Whatever will make EA moo-laa they will do. I'm not even worried a bit.

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 04:38 PM

DynastyJunkie
07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
This is interesting. I don't think any of us should stress out about it. I don't believe this to be the last NCAA football game ever (minus the
NCAA). Also I'm sure we will find out more about it in the coming weeks and months.

Sent via Tapatalk

I know. People are freaking out. The NCAA is trying to get out of hot water. The game isn't going anywhere.

I OU a Beatn
07-17-2013, 04:41 PM
By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.

http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-sports-and-college-football

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
I know. People are freaking out. The NCAA is trying to get out of hot water. The game isn't going anywhere.

freaking ? stressing ? :) those are reactions for real life problems. Somewhat disappointed would be a better term.

even if this closed down. The Video game sports world knows a football game will sell well and someone will come up with an idea somewhere. EA didn't invent it

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
It very well could be GREAT news. Gives EA more flexibility potentially.

Kingpin32
07-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Rushing of the field in next gen??

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Discipline?

Kingpin32
07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Discipline?

Drug scandals??

CLW
07-17-2013, 04:58 PM

I'd prefer they work on defense but I'm sure that could enter the game now. Although it could subject EA to future lawsuits when someone gets injured.

Discipline?

Yeah I'm sure :Penn_State: would be happy with the scenario of your DC is raping boys do you report it to the cops. Or :Ohio_State: with Tatoo U. :Miami: etc... I'm sure the schools don't want a realistic discipline true to life system where nearly every program has to make a call on whether to keep hush hush some sort of bad actor.

MtneerManiac
07-17-2013, 04:58 PM
And race; height; weight; Hometown; equipment; Name; etc... - which Plaintiffs lawyers equate to "likeness"

Online roster editor allows people to download the unauthorized "likeness" of college athletes w/o their consent (or so goes the logic of Plaintiffs' lawyers).

Could it be done? Probably if it was ONLY a number? But with people here flipping out about wrong heights; weights; race; socks; helmets; dreads; etc....

you really think a title with all that being wrong would sell? i doubt it.

It probably would. If people understood that it was either that or nothing? Yeah, I could see it happening that way.

And roster editing certainly wouldn't be something that would get EA in trouble. That's a silly notion. People aren't making money off of said rosters, and it's impossible to prove that EA is making money off people's custom rosters (as in people buying the game just for that), so it would end up being a non-issue even if pursued.

AustinWolv
07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
all the innovation fans expect
I expect defense. And being able to run a defense based on having the right type of players playing at the right spot in the base defense, i.e. an OLB isn't an OLB isn't an OLB who is just assigned left or right.....a WILL's attributes and body type is different than a SAM's based off the defensive philosophy and alignments aren't just a simple flip of the play art.........
Then, basing off of that defense, as well as having other sets with different personnel (which they *kinda* do now....they limit how many formation subs you can do), having defenders play zones and align correctly, having a fucking spy defender not wait until after the QB has crossed the LOS to even react.

bdoughty
07-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes, we can get a end game minigame where you and up to 4 players can control drunk college students trying to get past security and police to tear down the goalpost to take back to your fraternity.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
or drunk players go to rob the local gas station for $15 to have money to get into the club the night of a game where they made the school a million bucks...

limitless possibilities...

i wish 989 studios would fire up game creation again and come out with Gamebreaker '15 just to see what it would be like =)

jaymo76
07-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Count me in as someone who would love to see the discipline feature return (well that and custom signs :D

I OU a Beatn
07-17-2013, 06:02 PM
So...since EA can no longer have an exclusive contract with the CLC, I wonder what the chances are of Natural Motion (developers of the acclaimed Backbreaker) picking up an additional license? I hope so, with the amazing gem of the original Backbreaker, I can only wish for a college football game of equal quality. It would surely be a masterpiece.

steelerfan
07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
So...since EA can no longer have an exclusive contract with the CLC, I wonder what the chances are of Natural Motion (developers of the acclaimed Backbreaker) picking up an additional license? I hope so, with the amazing gem of the original Backbreaker, I can only wish for a college football game of equal quality. It would surely be a masterpiece.

:D:D:D

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 06:10 PM

is that sarcasm or did you really like that game?

steelerfan
07-17-2013, 06:26 PM
is that sarcasm or did you really like that game?

It's sarcasm, definitely. :)

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Schools are not yet 100% on board with the news today...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/17/ncaa-ending-videogame-contract-with-ea-electronic-arts/2525843/

However, University of Kansas athletics department spokesman Jim Marchiony -- who identified his school as a CLC client -- said KU officials will want to digest the NCAA's decision. Marchiony said Kansas' agreement with EA, via CLC, for the current version of NCAA Football expires June 30, 2014.

"I'm not surprised CLC and EA Sports have a Plan B and we're looking forward to hearing from them about it, to see how we'll proceed in the future," Marchiony said. "We will certainly talk about it, where we go from here."

CLW
07-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Schools are not yet 100% on board with the news today...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/17/ncaa-ending-videogame-contract-with-ea-electronic-arts/2525843/

However, University of Kansas athletics department spokesman Jim Marchiony -- who identified his school as a CLC client -- said KU officials will want to digest the NCAA's decision. Marchiony said Kansas' agreement with EA, via CLC, for the current version of NCAA Football expires June 30, 2014.

"I'm not surprised CLC and EA Sports have a Plan B and we're looking forward to hearing from them about it, to see how we'll proceed in the future," Marchiony said. "We will certainly talk about it, where we go from here."

Schools getting advised by their counsel that they dodged a bullet by not being named Defendants in the class action lawsuit. It's only a matter of WHEN (not if) the Universities get sued for video games for college sports.

bdoughty
07-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Kansas? We already have another team in Kansas that actually matters. Strike them from next years game for non-compliance.

Also any school that counts a spring game as a win and adds it to the overall record does not deserve to be in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/AGgz5Wc.jpg

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Kansas? We already have another team in Kansas that actually matters. Strike them from next years game for non-compliance.

Also any school that counts a spring game as a win and adds it to the overall record does not deserve to be in the game.

sheesh :D its called a sense of humor. Cant lose the school that has the best blue in the game :)

erod328
07-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Does this mean we could possibly see an eight or sixteen team playoff option next year?! I've always been under the impression that it was the NCAA's decision to exclude the playoff from the game.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 07:43 PM

ROFL! I wonder if College Gameday considered visiting the spring game and giving it GotW status...

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Hahaha

gschwendt
07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Does this mean we could possibly see an eight or sixteen team playoff option next year?! I've always been under the impression that it was the NCAA's decision to exclude the playoff from the game.
Possible, but unlikely. Considering that the CLC represents the BCS, I imagine they'll also be the representation for the College Football Playoff, in which case, they likely wouldn't want to show any kind of alternative. As well, other features such as probation would also likely be nixed as the schools that the CLC represent probably wouldn't want it to be included.

steelerfan
07-17-2013, 08:25 PM
ROFL! I wonder if College Gameday considered visiting the spring game and giving it GotW status...

They were at Southern Miss that week. Unfortunately though, Southern Miss lost their Spring Game. :(

Sorry, Bill. It was too easy. ;)

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 08:40 PM
They were at Southern Miss that week. Unfortunately though, Southern Miss lost their Spring Game. :(

Sorry, Bill. It was too easy. ;)

No need to apologize. We haven't won a game in since 2011. :fp:

JeffHCross
07-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Just read about this. Wow. Will be interesting to see how it plays out

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Schools getting advised by their counsel that they dodged a bullet by not being named Defendants in the class action lawsuit. It's only a matter of WHEN (not if) the Universities get sued for video games for college sports.

im sorry i still don't see how that can even go to court... how can a player sue a school for that school being in a game... when they DON'T sue for numbered jersey, t-shirts and other stuff?

if the Oregon Ducks are in the game with all of their uniforms and the roster reads double zero "00" and the height and weight are set to 4'1" and 150lbs... and all have red hair and are in alternating order of "faces" that come with the game with no dreads and just regular hair cuts... then honestly there is no likeness THEN it is all about the "school's team" and then we the fans who love those players have the ability to create the roster we want once we have purchased the game

Tako 715
07-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Possible, but unlikely. Considering that the CLC represents the BCS, I imagine they'll also be the representation for the College Football Playoff, in which case, they likely wouldn't want to show any kind of alternative. As well, other features such as probation would also likely be nixed as the schools that the CLC represent probably wouldn't want it to be included.

Here's hoping that this isn't the beginning of the end of College Football Videogames. Maybe, just maybe, it is the beginning of EA having more creative control over how we can customize everything in our dynastys. Like playoffs and conferences, could be an improvement. Optimistic.

baseballplyrmvp
07-17-2013, 09:11 PM
almost started crying when i saw this on my lunch break at work...but then when i started reading the comments and got clarification, i started feeling better. i know its just a video game, but this series has been 4 of my last 6 video game purchases since 2010

Husker Drake
07-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I wonder how this will play with the SEC already hinting at a complete break with the NCAA, and the Big Ten possibly to follow next week at their media days?

baseballplyrmvp
07-17-2013, 09:59 PM
I wonder how this will play with the SEC already hinting at a complete break with the NCAA, and the Big Ten possibly to follow next week at their media days?

the sec can already go fuck themselves. :D

SCClassof93
07-17-2013, 10:28 PM
the sec can already go fuck themselves. :D

Envy! Got to let that go :D

baseballplyrmvp
07-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Envy! Got to let that go :D

same for south carolina fans when discussing who the "real" USC is. :USC: :D:P

Rudy
07-18-2013, 04:58 AM
The PES soccer game suffers from not having every license for teams and players and yet guys can download rosters and mods (I'm not completely sure on this). Do they get sued left and right?

CLW
07-18-2013, 06:35 AM
im sorry i still don't see how that can even go to court... how can a player sue a school for that school being in a game... when they DON'T sue for numbered jersey, t-shirts and other stuff?

if the Oregon Ducks are in the game with all of their uniforms and the roster reads double zero "00" and the height and weight are set to 4'1" and 150lbs... and all have red hair and are in alternating order of "faces" that come with the game with no dreads and just regular hair cuts... then honestly there is no likeness THEN it is all about the "school's team" and then we the fans who love those players have the ability to create the roster we want once we have purchased the game

B/c a # isn't a "likeness" but height/weight/race/name/hometown/etc.... arguably are. Now if a Univ. put a players face/name on a t-shirt that would be a diff story.

cdj
07-18-2013, 07:08 AM
IMG College handles the licensing for major institutions like The University of Michigan, The University of Alabama, and Brigham Young University. In all, CLC represents 153 schools. Notable schools not affiliated with CLC include Ohio State, Miami of Ohio, and Michigan State. Before the NCAA ended this agreement, it still had to make separate deals with those schools. It will likely continue to do so.

In addition to the schools, CLC also represents the BCS Football National Championship Bowl Game and many other major bowl games. That includes the Discover Orange Bowl, the Allstate Sugar Bowl, and the Tournament of Roses (or Rose Bowl).

This deal is important to CLC. Electronic Arts is the organization’s largest nonapparel licensee. Likewise, EA needs the deal with the CLC because most college football fans purchase the game to control their favorite team.

Link (http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/17/ea-sports-will-have-real-teams-in-next-years-college-football-release/)

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-18-2013, 09:38 AM
B/c a # isn't a "likeness" but height/weight/race/name/hometown/etc.... arguably are. Now if a Univ. put a players face/name on a t-shirt that would be a diff story.

right so if a roster is released as I said with double zero as the number for every player and they all are a height of 4'1" weigh 150lbs have random faces and that is all then according to your own words there is absolutely no likeness... of course the roster editor allows consumer to make the players whoever they wamt them to be... so there is no lawsuit... thanks for clearing that up

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Cap10 Morgan
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
right so if a roster is released as I said with double zero as the number for every player and they all are a height of 4'1" weigh 150lbs have random faces and that is all then according to your own words there is absolutely no likeness... of course the roster editor allows consumer to make the players whoever they wamt them to be... so there is no lawsuit... thanks for clearing that up

Do you think it would also have to go so far as to have everyone with the same ratings? I wonder if the "mobile qb's" would say something if certain schools had higher rated abilities, etc. This sucks! Just let me play with my team and you can pay them later when they arent in school anymore, lol.

CLW
07-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Not exactly. IF EA provided a roster editor to their "generic" rosters they could still be sued. The parallel is Napster. They didn't violate in copyright laws (and told their users to obey the law) but that wasn't enough b/c their product allowed users to violate copyright law.

Same with EA their product (roster editor) allows their users to misappropriate a person's "likeness" without their permission. Indeed, EA would likely tout the roster editor feature and could be guilty of "conspiracy" with its customers/consumers to misappropriate student-athlete "likeness" without compensation/permission.

There is ZERO way around this issue for EA. I've said this a hundred times now but these are the only possible solutions with no future lawsuits:

#1 - The series dies (or they make the rosters not editable and really bad - hardly calls for a yearly update now does it?)

#2 - The NCAA allows EA to pay the players and/or the players willingly sign a release/contract granting them permission do use their "likeness" in the game without payment

#3 - EA gets a complete win at the US Supreme Court on a 1st Amendment (or other affirmative defense) type argument.

washingtonhuskies4
07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
2K Sports or Sony might as well make College Football 2K15 or NCAA Football 15 : The Heisman (similar to MLB : The Show series) w/ EA's contract expiring next June. CLC License w/ either of the two brands can help bring in lots of money and popularity in the game including for the Vita console (last game was NCAA Football 10 on PSP). Also, Madden NFL, FIFA, and NHL are big sellers in EA Sports. Time to bring EA's NHL also to Vita w/ gameplay similar to FIFA.

Kingpin32
07-18-2013, 11:46 AM
2K Sports or Sony might as well make College Football 2K15 or NCAA Football 15 : The Heisman (similar to MLB : The Show series) w/ EA's contract expiring next June. CLC License w/ either of the two brands can help bring in lots of money and popularity in the game including for the Vita console (last game was NCAA Football 10 on PSP). Also, Madden NFL, FIFA, and NHL are big sellers in EA Sports. Time to bring EA's NHL also to Vita w/ gameplay similar to FIFA.
I think the cost of entry for another studio to jump in the College Football game sphere may be too high at this point in time. But it would be interesting to see some competition in the sports games. Or at least an alternative.

ecfivester
07-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Not exactly. IF EA provided a roster editor to their "generic" rosters they could still be sued. The parallel is Napster. They didn't violate in copyright laws (and told their users to obey the law) but that wasn't enough b/c their product allowed users to violate copyright law.

Same with EA their product (roster editor) allows their users to misappropriate a person's "likeness" without their permission. Indeed, EA would likely tout the roster editor feature and could be guilty of "conspiracy" with its customers/consumers to misappropriate student-athlete "likeness" without compensation/permission.

There is ZERO way around this issue for EA. I've said this a hundred times now but these are the only possible solutions with no future lawsuits:

#1 - The series dies (or they make the rosters not editable and really bad - hardly calls for a yearly update now does it?)

#2 - The NCAA allows EA to pay the players and/or the players willingly sign a release/contract granting them permission do use their "likeness" in the game without payment

#3 - EA gets a complete win at the US Supreme Court on a 1st Amendment (or other affirmative defense) type argument.
:fp: I've grown tired of your assumptions of legality here. Your example of Napster is inherently flawed as the it dealt an accepted commodity, being media files, specifically music and movies. Both of which are (as I stated) accepted commodities that have explicit costs, laws, and guidelines governing their use. Likeness is not an accepted commodity, especially when referring to listing anything about race or origins. When there is no name attached or a clear indication of the person's face, or their voice a likeness is very hard to establish. Any lawyer worth their salt would stay away from such a case, because they would not win, and the odds are high the plaintiff they would represent would not have any money to pay for their expenses.

EA doesn’t need any of your 3 scenarios to play out. Until the universities are compelled to pay players more than the cost of tuition (in the form of a scholarship) the video series is only operating based off of the agreement it has with the CLC and other universities who are the true defendants. If what you describe as necessary happens, it will be because the universities were sued, not the CLC and not EA. And You would have to have multiple athletes from a significant amount of those universities file suit against them. Universities use current player likeness all the time. Ever bought a media guide? Or watched the intro, scoreboard, or youtube videos published by the university’s athletic department? Those reflect more of a likeness than a video game. And ratings do not reflect likeness as those ratings do not actually exists in reality. Clowney is not good in reality because he has a 90+ strength rating … he is good in reality because he is strong, how strong, well that is determined by actual weights and actual metrics, not an arbitrary fictional grade to reflect it.

ram29jackson
07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
:fp: I've grown tired of your assumptions of legality here. Your example of Napster is inherently flawed as the it dealt an accepted commodity, being media files, specifically music and movies. Both of which are (as I stated) accepted commodities that have explicit costs, laws, and guidelines governing their use. Likeness is not an accepted commodity, especially when referring to listing anything about race or origins. When there is no name attached or a clear indication of the person's face, or their voice a likeness is very hard to establish. Any lawyer worth their salt would stay away from such a case, because they would not win, and the odds are high the plaintiff they would represent would not have any money to pay for their expenses.

EA doesn’t need any of your 3 scenarios to play out. Until the universities are compelled to pay players more than the cost of tuition (in the form of a scholarship) the video series is only operating based off of the agreement it has with the CLC and other universities who are the true defendants. If what you describe as necessary happens, it will be because the universities were sued, not the CLC and not EA. And You would have to have multiple athletes from a significant amount of those universities file suit against them. Universities use current player likeness all the time. Ever bought a media guide? Or watched the intro, scoreboard, or youtube videos published by the university’s athletic department? Those reflect more of a likeness than a video game. And ratings do not reflect likeness as those ratings do not actually exists in reality. Clowney is not good in reality because he has a 90+ strength rating … he is good in reality because he is strong, how strong, well that is determined by actual weights and actual metrics, not an arbitrary fictional grade to reflect it.

:smh: the internet and its humorous animosity

JBHuskers
07-18-2013, 03:06 PM

http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/c/c4/Bazinga.jpg

ecfivester
07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
:smh: the internet and its humorous animosity

Just my view on his views. I didn't mean them in a demeaning way. I was just exhausted with them and no other posts really showing him how he may be erring in his statements.

JBHuskers
07-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Just my view on his views. I didn't mean them in a demeaning way. I was just exhausted with them and no other posts really showing him how he may be erring in his statements.

I said that a few pages back. This is completely different than Napster.

ecfivester
07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I said that a few pages back. This is completely different than Napster.

Yeah, I saw that, just wanted to elaborate on what you meant. I didn't feel it was understood.

JBHuskers
07-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I saw that, just wanted to elaborate on what you meant. I didn't feel it was understood.

That's because CLW will repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over. ;)

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM

what he said

Deuce
07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I just want my damn NCAA game!! :D

... And fix the defense

Typed by thumbs.

gschwendt
07-18-2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kge2GkRWEmo

JBHuskers
07-18-2013, 03:49 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll92seOj521qfkyut.gif

ram29jackson
07-18-2013, 03:50 PM
in madden you could say people buy it because of the real players..but I don't buy ncaa because I think its the real players or because I follow any team or player. I just get rosters because it makes online more entertaining and gives it personalization. I don't know most of the players or care who they are. Its just better then seeing LB #40 on the back. The public are the only people personalizing the game. Ea cant correctly emulate thousands of college kids to any exactitude.

Deuce
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
I actually play my offline dynasty w/o rosters. I'm too impatient.

Typed by thumbs.

Wisey105
07-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I read through a few of the comments, and here is what I know.

1. Very little actually comes from the NCAA License. Pretty much the name on the front of the cover and the NCAA logo. All the school, stadiums, bowls, conferences, trophies, etc. are all either licensed through the CLC, or individually. Also, college football is the only college sport where the NCAA does not run the championship. It is all decided through the conferences.

2. I would doubt another company would try to create a competing college football game. College Football 2K3 was the last one 2K did (and that was well before an exclusive NCAA license was done). The up front cost for another studio to develop that game would be very high. The engine, the art, and even a basic career mode would all take a pretty significant amount of time for something that would be competing with established brands.

3. For the litigation. I'm don't fully know. I doubt this would have any real difference in the current lawsuits. But, that's just my opinion.

souljahbill
07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Getting into a law argument with a lawyer?

:popcorn:

oweb26
07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
My money is on the mob!

bdoughty
07-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Getting into a law argument with a lawyer?

http://i.imgur.com/MYkYpPE.jpg

steelerfan
07-18-2013, 05:54 PM
That's because CLW will repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over. ;)

http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/If_you_repeat_a_lie_often_enough,_it_becomes_the_t ruth./330401/

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Yeah, stick to hoping for 2K. If Sony makes it, no doubt those stupid cunts would make it PS3/PS4 exclusive and say "fuck you" to the 360/XBONE user-base.

bdoughty
07-18-2013, 06:04 PM
http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/If_you_repeat_a_lie_often_enough,_it_becomes_the_t ruth./330401/

Millions of Jewish people found that out that hard way.

bdoughty
07-18-2013, 06:07 PM
If Sony makes it, no doubt those stupid cunts would make it PS3/PS4 exclusive and say "fuck you" to the 360/XBONE user-base.

:ram?: What the heck would you expect Sony to do? Do you see Halo, GOW or any MS Developed game on the PS3?

souljahbill
07-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Just because 2K5 was good a decade ago and The Show is good now does not necessarily mean Sony or 2K will make a good football game today, even if they were given 2 or 3 years to develop it.

bdoughty
07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Just because 2K5 was good a decade ago and The Show is good now does not necessarily mean Sony or 2K will make a good football game today, even if they were given 2 or 3 years to develop it.

Remember 2K had a couple years to make APF 2K8 and while I enjoy 2K football games it was nothing special. Honestly the only thing that impressed me about the game was the sidelines, blocking and WR/DB interaction.

Kingpin32
07-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Yep.

steelerfan
07-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Millions of people found that out that hard way.

Fixed.

I OU a Beatn
07-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Sony or Microsoft would never even bother with a college game because it would never make enough money on one platform to make it worthwhile.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jaymo76
07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Sony or Microsoft would never even bother with a college game because it would never make enough money on one platform to make it worthwhile.

I think it all depends on what the licensing fees would cost. If Playstation 4 and SCEA put something together in an attempt to undercut xbox1 and it looked decent I would have no objections to purchasing multiple football titles. There are a lot of EA haters out there who would jump at the chance for another game. However, I think people need to have realistic expectations of any new competitor and how far behind they will be. IMO it would be a lot easier to compete against Madden versus NCAA (eg 30 stadiums versus 126, sb vs. bowls, roster sizes, etc.).

I OU a Beatn
07-18-2013, 10:26 PM
I think it all depends on what the licensing fees would cost. If Playstation 4 and SCEA put something together in an attempt to undercut xbox1 and it looked decent I would have no objections to purchasing multiple football titles. There are a lot of EA haters out there who would jump at the chance for another game. However, I think people need to have realistic expectations of any new competitor and how far behind they will be. IMO it would be a lot easier to compete against Madden versus NCAA (eg 30 stadiums versus 126, sb vs. bowls, roster sizes, etc.).

Right, but Sony wouldn't be interested in it. They would have to develop an engine, which costs millions, and then dedicate 2 or 3 years to getting the first version out only to then have to compete with the already established EA Sports.

Then they would be at another disadvantage because they would only be selling on one system. I doubt a potential 500,000 units sold would even begin to entice Sony, and I'm being generous with that number.

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2013, 05:09 AM
:ram?: What the heck would you expect Sony to do? Do you see Halo, GOW or any MS Developed game on the PS3?

It's one thing for titles like Halo, Gears of War, God of War, etc to be exclusive on PS3 and 360, but console exclusivity for sports titles are just fucking stupid. If EA dropped NCAA, Sony picked it up and those cunts made it console exclusive, I'd be burning Sony headquarters to the ground.

countryboy
07-19-2013, 05:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/MYkYpPE.jpg

LOL!

skipwondah33
07-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Apparently "more high profile players" joined the suit...even though I've never heard of them.

Couple gems in the article. One player from University of Arizona says its not about the money, it's about long term health care that he might not get after playing college ball. Said he tore his ACL. Another player said it was about money. "Without us there would be no Arizona Football team, Alabama football team, etc"

If there were no you...it would be someone else lol. But I know what he was saying

That's like saying if there were no scholarships there would be no players.

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Apparently "more high profile players" joined the suit...even though I've never heard of them.

Couple gems in the article. One player from University of Arizona says its not about the money, it's about long term health care that he might not get after playing college ball. Said he tore his ACL. Another player said it was about money. "Without us there would be no Arizona Football team, Alabama football team, etc"

If there were no you...it would be someone else lol. But I know what he was saying

That's like saying if there were no scholarships there would be no players.

It's that case for Division III. There's no such thing as a football scholarship (or any sports scholarship for that matter). The Division III players don't see shit for money or long term health care. The only money you see in a scholarship at that level is if your ass is smart enough to get an academic ride. Sure, Division III is a long ways away from FBS football, but still, all this bitching about money, the FBS players have not a single bit of sympathy from me. Division III players don't see shit, not even in scholarship money, they play 100% entirely for the love of the game.

gschwendt
07-19-2013, 08:41 AM
EA & CLC have agreed to a non-exclusive license through 2017.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/ea-holds-license-for-non-exclusive-college-football-games-for-th/

skipwondah33
07-19-2013, 09:54 AM
It's that case for Division III. There's no such thing as a football scholarship (or any sports scholarship for that matter). The Division III players don't see shit for money or long term health care. The only money you see in a scholarship at that level is if your ass is smart enough to get an academic ride. Sure, Division III is a long ways away from FBS football, but still, all this bitching about money, the FBS players have not a single bit of sympathy from me. Division III players don't see shit, not even in scholarship money, they play 100% entirely for the love of the game.Yep

And the possibility of having a shot at the NFL.

The colleges aren't the only ones being benefited here. The players are as well. Without the colleges or teams...there is no hope to make it to the NFL.

jaymo76
07-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Here is the CLC site and a list of all they are associated with.

http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Yep

And the possibility of having a shot at the NFL.

The colleges aren't the only ones being benefited here. The players are as well. Without the colleges or teams...there is no hope to make it to the NFL.

That too.

A lot of FBS (and some FCS) players have a hope of making the NFL, either through the draft or getting invited to camp, and making easy NFL money. Other than the one or two very rare cases at a national powerhouse school like Mount Union, Division III players have absolutely no chance.

But you never hear them complain about not getting money or "long term healthcare". As I said last post, yes, Division III is a LONG way from FBS football, there's not any of the extra cash flow for the school from TV contracts or apparel or everything else the FBS schools have, etc. But you still don't hear them complaining about money. Hell, most, if not all Division III players would just settle for full ride athletic scholarships.

cdj
07-19-2013, 06:22 PM
To add on to G's earlier post:

More than 150 colleges, conferences and bowl games have approved a three-year contract extension with EA Sports to continue production of its college football video game, which has been at the center of a legal controversy.

The announcement, confirmed Friday, comes two days after the NCAA announced it would not renew its contract with EA Sports after next year, citing business reasons and litigation costs amid a raft of lawsuits involving the game. The NCAA's decision means the popular game no longer will be called "NCAA Football" but rather "College Football," with each school or league deciding to opt in or out through Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), their licensing agent. Some schools did opt out for different reasons, though it's not clear how many. CLC represents nearly 200 colleges, conferences and bowl games.

"More than 150 colleges, conferences and Bowl Games have approved the extension thus far," CLC spokesman Andrew Giangola told USA TODAY Sports. "For various reasons, schools and conferences typically come and go across the life span of any licensed product, as is the case with this game." Via: USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/19/ea-sports-college-football-contract-renewed/2570119/)

There are already some media reporting that this means some schools have opted out of being in the game. I read it differently, that they have opted out of being part of the CLC (standard fare according to article) - or have yet to sign on just 48 hours after NCAA decision - and that they would have to be negotiated with individually by EA.

We'll continue to add to this thread and front page article as more info emerges.

USA Today article with an extra blurb:

Each schools weighs the risk and rewards of renewing with EA Sports. The rewards include royalties and publicity from the game. The risk could include the ongoing legal liability, with possibly bigger questions looming over the next contract extension in 2017.

For example, Stanford University deputy athletic director Patrick Dunkley told USA TODAY Sports he would like to talk to the NCAA about the reasons for its non-renewal decision.

"I want to get the best understanding I can about what they see as the legal risks so we can analyze those risks and any other risks that we think may exist," said Dunkley, an attorney. "To the extent those risks exist, we want to determine if there's a way to mitigate them through the agreements. If so, maybe we proceed. If not, maybe we don't."

jaymo76
07-19-2013, 09:38 PM
To add on to G's earlier post:

More than 150 colleges, conferences and bowl games have approved a three-year contract extension with EA Sports to continue production of its college football video game, which has been at the center of a legal controversy.

The announcement, confirmed Friday, comes two days after the NCAA announced it would not renew its contract with EA Sports after next year, citing business reasons and litigation costs amid a raft of lawsuits involving the game. The NCAA's decision means the popular game no longer will be called "NCAA Football" but rather "College Football," with each school or league deciding to opt in or out through Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), their licensing agent. Some schools did opt out for different reasons, though it's not clear how many. CLC represents nearly 200 colleges, conferences and bowl games.

"More than 150 colleges, conferences and Bowl Games have approved the extension thus far," CLC spokesman Andrew Giangola told USA TODAY Sports. "For various reasons, schools and conferences typically come and go across the life span of any licensed product, as is the case with this game." Via: USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/19/ea-sports-college-football-contract-renewed/2570119/)

There are already some media reporting that this means some schools have opted out of being in the game. I read it differently, that they have opted out of being part of the CLC (standard fare according to article) - or have yet to sign on just 48 hours after NCAA decision - and that they would have to be negotiated with individually by EA.

We'll continue to add to this thread and front page article as more info emerges.

USA Today article with an extra blurb:

Each schools weighs the risk and rewards of renewing with EA Sports. The rewards include royalties and publicity from the game. The risk could include the ongoing legal liability, with possibly bigger questions looming over the next contract extension in 2017.

For example, Stanford University deputy athletic director Patrick Dunkley told USA TODAY Sports he would like to talk to the NCAA about the reasons for its non-renewal decision.

"I want to get the best understanding I can about what they see as the legal risks so we can analyze those risks and any other risks that we think may exist," said Dunkley, an attorney. "To the extent those risks exist, we want to determine if there's a way to mitigate them through the agreements. If so, maybe we proceed. If not, maybe we don't."

So the possibility of a FIFAesque arrangement exists? In other words some many of the FBS school will be included but some will not. If say 10-15 FBS schools opted out of the game next year I would be hard-pressed to buy the game, even though this is my fave series of all time. For those who know my rants I am a huge advocate of seeing FCS back in the game. I hate not seeing these teams included. I could only imagine how terrible it would be if certain fbs teams/conferences/bowls were not included in the game.

SmoothPancakes
07-20-2013, 02:23 AM
So the possibility of a FIFAesque arrangement exists? In other words some many of the FBS school will be included but some will not. If say 10-15 FBS schools opted out of the game next year I would be hard-pressed to buy the game, even though this is my fave series of all time. For those who know my rants I am a huge advocate of seeing FCS back in the game. I hate not seeing these teams included. I could only imagine how terrible it would be if certain fbs teams/conferences/bowls were not included in the game.

Unfortunately, I think this will also effectively permanently eliminate any hope of ever seeing FCS teams return. If FBS schools, including those racking in tens and hundreds of millions in cash every year might be wavering, no way in hell would an FCS school be willing to open itself to potential future lawsuits over all this crap.

And yeah, I might be in the same boat. I'm a stickler for keeping the conferences in my dynasty as close to real life accurate as I can. Having to put up with the WAC for the last two years has annoyed the utter hell out of me because it threw multiple conferences off. Having even a handful of teams missing from future editions (ESPECIALLY if they're teams from the big 5 conferences), that may be enough to keep me from buying a new edition. If EA can patch defense into '14, I'd be content with just going with what I have now and stick with '14 going into the future.

RussellW65
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Just don't see how this is going to work. It's like Madden without the NFL.

Rudy
07-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Just don't see how this is going to work. It's like Madden without the NFL.

Not true. It's like Madden without the logo but still having all the teams, players, logos and stadiums. The NCAA logo on the cover means nothing really. The NCAA doesn't even have anything to do with the BCS and upcoming playoff.

jaymo76
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Not true. It's like Madden without the logo but still having all the teams, players, logos and stadiums.

Hard to say for sure though. As of right now, CFC doesn't hold rights to the MAC and it's teams as well as a handful of fbs bowls. I wonder if some programmes will choose to opt if they feel the lawsuit isn't progressing in a way they would like???

ram29jackson
07-21-2013, 04:07 PM
if PES can keep coming out with decent games without license , so can NCAA....LOL or what ever they call it

steelerfan
07-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Hard to say for sure though. As of right now, CFC doesn't hold rights to the MAC and it's teams as well as a handful of fbs bowls. I wonder if some programmes will choose to opt if they feel the lawsuit isn't progressing in a way they would like???

CFC?

Don't blame Chelsea Football Club. :(

jaymo76
07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
CFC?

Don't blame Chelsea Football Club. :(

:D:fp: Oh man... typing on a smart phone is brutal... my bad.

steelerfan
07-21-2013, 11:18 PM
:D:fp: Oh man... typing on a smart phone is brutal... my bad.

;)

I know you're a fellow Chelsea supporter. :)

JBHuskers
07-22-2013, 01:17 AM
KTBFFH!

OUkool
07-23-2013, 01:27 AM
If EA Sports goes all in with CLC we could get Div.II schools (such as Pittsburgh State,Grambling,Indiana State and Florida A&M) this maybe the last cycle of EA Sports college football so go all out.

OUkool
07-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Not true. It's like Madden without the logo but still having all the teams, players, logos and stadiums. The NCAA logo on the cover means nothing really. The NCAA doesn't even have anything to do with the BCS and upcoming playoff.

thank you for pointing this out
None of my friends think i'm telling them the truth when i tell them that the NCAA has nothing to do with the control of the "BCS"
or Div.1 football.