PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen a football game with worse defense?

MrToo Brand New
07-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Is it just me or does this game have the worst pass defense in any football video game made since Sega Genesis? I have never seen a more dumbed down flawed AI.

ram29jackson
07-10-2013, 01:09 AM
all defense seems bad. The awareness seems purposely horrible. but I haven't been completely burned by a run game yet in 5 early games.

CLW
07-10-2013, 06:29 AM
yep its bad but not as bad as the year of "wide open gameplay" the year they actually touted no defense as a "feature"

EA wants you to play basketball on grass

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I am doing ok going base from 3-4 vs about ever set but 5 wide... and just using stick skills to cover stuff up... this will be a year of stick skill defense... for sure... if you cant smother routes on your own start working on it now with friends or it will be a long year unless they patch the game and do the exact opposite of what they should do and nerf offense instaed of boosting the front 7 on defense up to match the offense

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Has anyone ever seen a football game with worse defense?

You ever seen a Rich Rodriguez-coached team? They must have consulted him and his total lack of regard for the defensive side of the ball.

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I did watch clemson play West Virginia in a bowl game once :D

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
At WVU, the only thing that saved RR's butt was having Jeff Casteel as his DC.

Rich was fucking clueless about putting forth a good defense at UM. He failed to get Casteel to follow him and then completely screwed the pooch in undermining the DCs he hired because he had his buddies as assistants. Lucky for him, he got Casteel to move to Arizona

morsdraconis
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I did watch clemson play West Virginia in a bowl game once :D

That wasn't Rich Rod. ><

MrToo Brand New
07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
It is very difficult to run the ball under center. My point is more based off of the pass defense. The defensive backs play like they have some kind of mental disability. On one play I literally watch a safety in zone defense run away from a WR as the receiver ran through his zone. I replayed it to make sure there wasn't another WR entering that zone and there was not. Also the DBs sometimes will cover a route correctly then completely screw up once the ball is thrown. There is no point to running man to man. It's understandable that someone will get open, but three WRs consistently??? Against LSU or Florida State's secondary.... I don't know why they made the defense this poor. It's al pat like EA wants me to play illegitimate football by nano blitzing or dropping nine guys in coverage because that's the only way I have any success on defense.

MrToo Brand New
07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Also when I'm talking about defense I'm referring to playing online. I haven't playing against the computer yet other than labbing schemes and plays.

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
That wasn't Rich Rod. ><

I was referring to the pathetic lack of D by clemson..........Oh look WVU just scored again :D

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Clemson acted like they didn't want to be there that game.

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Clemson acted like they didn't want to be there that game.

Nah they just sucked :D

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 09:58 AM
They weren't THAT bad. They had played better football earlier that season.

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
They weren't THAT bad. They had played better football earlier that season.

They lost to N.C. St. and Ga. Tech, two 8-5 teams...........they did win the Almost Competitive Conference title though :D They sucked :nod:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-11/acc/2011-clemson-tigers-football-schedule.php

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 10:22 AM
They also beat 8-5 Auburn (on the downslope), 9-4 FSU, 11-3 VT twice (had an easy schedule but wasn't a total pushover)............

Clemson wasn't a good to great team by any means, but they weren't as bad as they showed in that WVU game.

xMrHitStickx904
07-10-2013, 10:42 AM
NCAA 09 had ZERO defense. For as bad zones are right now, 09 had no defense even with patches.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
They also beat 8-5 Auburn (on the downslope), 9-4 FSU, 11-3 VT twice (had an easy schedule but wasn't a total pushover)............

Clemson wasn't a good to great team by any means, but they weren't as bad as they showed in that WVU game.

http://i.imgur.com/rVrp1.jpg

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
:D

I OU a Beatn
07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Zone defense is about as bad as it's ever been. Man defense is 100% useless unless you're playing with a team with extremely high rated players, in which case it drops down to 80% useless. There's absolutely no pressure on the QB whether you blitz or try to rely on your front 4. The defense goes full on retard against read options. I don't think all the patches in the world could make the defense actually where it should be.

They wont patch it anyway, because the vast majority of these problems have been in the recent games, we just haven't noticed it as much because of how sluggish the game play was before the Infinity Engine and the fact that the option was broken. Now that read options work as they should and the game is much smoother, those issues on defense just become way more glaring.

souljahbill
07-10-2013, 12:52 PM

You're arguing with a South Carolina fan about how much Clemson sucked. Clemson can go 14-0 and win the BCS title and to him, Clemson will still suck.

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
You're arguing with a South Carolina fan about how much Clemson sucked. Clemson can go 14-0 and win the BCS title and to him, Clemson will still suck.

Pretty much :D
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1366447/Dabo_Fearless_zpsef163a80.gif

AustinWolv
07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
those issues on defense just become way more glaring

:+1:

LOL, indeed. Partial to neither, although I think Spurrier is way more entertaining.

ram29jackson
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
ncaa 14-

this time around it appears they leave their zone assignments much,much earlier then last year and or they don't react to something near by for certain reasons in certain areas.

and you pinch your defensive line and direct them to cover middle and the RB can still run right up the gut from a straight run play or an option hand off as though a broom just moved them out of the way.

and then in the open field the pursuit angles are just gone. Defenders are taking their sweet time going after the ball carrier or even the QB can brush off the first one or two guys just because/so the option can be sexy.

its like you put 3 or 4 defenders in yellow zones in the middle of the field and in 3 seconds they just leave to the sidelines or something.

its nice that run blocking is better but why dumb down the defense more then last year already?

I understand its a video game and the defense will never dominate because that simply is no fun and video games are supposed to be fun and not flight simulators. But its no fun calling a defense that doesn't work either and it seems 3rd and 4th downs are easier to convert then last year.

all that said...I have played 7 games online against other people and i'm 1-0 in ranked and 6-0 in NCAA-UT and I use zone defense 90% of the time still. I'm not bragging, I suck and I'm not "stick skillz bozo Johny".
I'm just saying things look worse but they seem to average out somehow .....who the hell let somehow be a real word ?

dhook27
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Maybe consider player zone and man coverage ratings?

PeteyKirch
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Is it true that the sliders are reversed in terms of pass defense and what not?

xMrHitStickx904
07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
No. There's no defense. It's the only thing holding the game back from being great. Just played one of my good friends, & it was like a 7 on 7 drill - 56-49. Mind you, I threw 3 picks & punted 3 times, he threw two ints. Absolutely no defense. I would almost rather have NCAA 12 pre-patch zones back right now.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

PeteyKirch
07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
It really is odd.

Played a game against Navy, couldn't stop the option worth a damn out of the 4-3 or Bear 4-6, but completely shut it down running the 3-3-5, and 3-2-6.

I OU a Beatn
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not even bothering playing online, which would be the first since it was first implemented in '04. It's going to be unplayable online so I'm not even going to start torturing myself. Maybe one day EA will get the defense and offensive balance right, but I'm not holding my breath.

To have any chance at all, you have to play with a powerhouse defense and even then, there's open receivers running all over the place and then you have to deal with the read option. Just a nightmare.

ram29jackson
07-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Pretty much :D
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1366447/Dabo_Fearless_zpsef163a80.gif

its funny but what exactly is it referring to ? whats the meaning ?

ram29jackson
07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
the only bright spot so far is you can now get run yards against blatant pass defenses but everything else is unbalanced or inconsistent or just plain silly

SCClassof93
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
its funny but what exactly is it referring to ? whats the meaning ?

The idiocy that it Dabo?

jwallace0317
07-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I think it's funny that guys who've yet to play more than a couple games online can give conclusive impressions of online gameplay, lol. The defense in this version of the game deserves the criticism for sure; but I think it's a stretch to say there's ZERO defense, to the point where read option plays are completely unstoppable and receivers are wide open all the time. If that was the case then you'd regularly see 35+ points in online ranked games. I've played 20 online games starting with early release and have yet to see point totals that high. I'm sure a couple months in it will get that way, once users start discovering and custom playbooking all the money overpowered plays together, but we're not there yet.

ram29jackson
07-10-2013, 10:32 PM
I think it's funny that guys who've yet to play more than a couple games online can give conclusive impressions of online gameplay, lol. The defense in this version of the game deserves the criticism for sure; but I think it's a stretch to say there's ZERO defense, to the point where read option plays are completely unstoppable and receivers are wide open all the time. If that was the case then you'd regularly see 35+ points in online ranked games. I've played 20 online games starting with early release and have yet to see point totals that high. I'm sure a couple months in it will get that way, once users start discovering and custom playbooking all the money overpowered plays together, but we're not there yet.

but that's the thing though.. they aren't even trying yet and already finding blatant cheese to exploit. Ive sent 8 and there shouldn't be any lanes but there ends up being space all over LOL. It may average out but defense has been dumbed down for those read options without question

I OU a Beatn
07-10-2013, 10:46 PM

It's not a stretch at all. If you have even an ounce of knowledge on which routes to run and are willing to mix in read options, assuming you don't make stupid mistakes, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't score every single possession. I'm quite confident in saying there's zero defense. You may not see someone scoring 40+ points every game, but that's just because people will sit back in bend but don't break style defenses and make you pick your way down the field, running a lot of the clock off in the process.

jwallace0317
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
but that's the thing though.. they aren't even trying yet and already finding blatant cheese to exploit. Ive sent 8 and there shouldn't be any lanes but there ends up being space all over LOL. It may average out but defense has been dumbed down for those read options without question

Sending 8 is exactly your problem, there are plays in which you can have 8 in the box and only blitz 4 or 5 and do much better against the read option then sending 8 guys blitzing. Guess I'll just keep playing until guys start regularly scoring on me at will, lol. Until then I'll squeeze as much enjoyment out of the game as I can.

jwallace0317
07-10-2013, 10:57 PM
It's not a stretch at all. If you have even an ounce of knowledge on which routes to run and are willing to mix in read options, assuming you don't make stupid mistakes, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't score every single possession. I'm quite confident in saying there's zero defense. You may not see someone scoring 40+ points every game, but that's just because people will sit back in bend but don't break style defenses and make you pick your way down the field, running a lot of the clock off in the process.

Must just be a lot of people online, myself included, lacking that ounce of knowledge or repeatedly making "stupid mistakes," because every game I've played in has involved at least a few turnovers and/or punts.

prime9
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
If you get two stops on defense you should win the game. Offense is entirely too easy this year. And jwallace, I have played 16 online games with an average opponent level of 22.

I OU a Beatn
07-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Must just be a lot of people online, myself included, lacking that ounce of knowledge or repeatedly making "stupid mistakes," because every game I've played in has involved at least a few turnovers and/or punts.

Definitely a possibility. I suppose you get could a legitimate stop or two playing with a powerhouse defense like Florida or Alabama, but that's the only way I see someone getting a legitimate stop.

Slants destroy anything. Hitches destroy anything. A nicely time corner route just shreds man. Crossing mesh patterns always bump off at least one of the defenders. Posts are wide open against anything unless manually covered. A cover 2 or cover 3 is shredded by a quick streak thrown as soon as the receiver clears the CB.

Then you have the lovely read option, which alone you need to sellout for to stop.

I stand by my initial assessment. If you're seeing stops, it's because the people you're playing haven't figured out how to break the game, or you're getting lucky turnovers that are a result of a silly read by the player. You might even be getting some lucky fumbles from the EA Gods. Point being, people are going to figure this out eventually (I'm quite sure a ton of them already have) and those phantom stops you're seeing are going to disappear barring a godly patch from EA.

jwallace0317
07-10-2013, 11:28 PM
If you get two stops on defense you should win the game. Offense is entirely too easy this year. And jwallace, I have played 16 online games with an average opponent level of 22.

Not sure who you're arguing with. I didn't disagree with offense being easy, I just said that it wasn't like every possession by an intelligent opponent ends with a touchdown. Like you said, you can at least get a couple stops a game and win (and that's against level 22 quality opponents), which is exactly what I said when I mentioned playing in games with stops due to punts/turnovers.

jwallace0317
07-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Definitely a possibility. I suppose you get could a legitimate stop or two playing with a powerhouse defense like Florida or Alabama, but that's the only way I see someone getting a legitimate stop.

Slants destroy anything. Hitches destroy anything. A nicely time corner route just shreds man. Crossing mesh patterns always bump off at least one of the defenders. Posts are wide open against anything unless manually covered. A cover 2 or cover 3 is shredded by a quick streak thrown as soon as the receiver clears the CB.

Then you have the lovely read option, which alone you need to sellout for to stop.

I stand by my initial assessment. If you're seeing stops, it's because the people you're playing haven't figured out how to break the game, or you're getting lucky turnovers that are a result of a silly read by the player. You might even be getting some lucky fumbles from the EA Gods. Point being, people are going to figure this out eventually (I'm quite sure a ton of them already have) and those phantom stops you're seeing are going to disappear barring a godly patch from EA.

You can keep posting about your "initial assessment," but honestly I don't understand why someone would waste time continuing to post analysis about a game that you've already said you're not going to play this year. If the game's so bad that you're not going to play a single online game, why waste time repeating your "assessment"? There has to be something else that's more worthy of your time, yes? Lol

I OU a Beatn
07-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I've played every online football game EA has ever released. Extensively. I don't have to play this one online to know what it's going to be.

Why am I posting? The thread title says "has anyone ever seen a football game with worse defense". Considering I post here a lot, I figured I'd chime in with my opinion.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could start up an online game and score a TD every single possession I have. I also have little doubt that if I'm playing with someone who also knows what they're doing, that I would be powerless to stop what they're doing and I'd have to hope and pray for a turnover or a lucky drop in a key situation. That annoys me greatly, hence why I haven't played online yet.

jwallace0317
07-10-2013, 11:44 PM
I've played every online football game EA has ever released. Extensively. I don't have to play this one online to know what it's going to be.

Why am I posting? The thread title says "has anyone ever seen a football game with worse defense". Considering I post here a lot, I figured I'd chime in with my opinion.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could start up an online game and score a TD every single possession I have. I also have little doubt that if I'm playing with someone who also knows what they're doing, that I would be powerless to stop what they're doing and I'd have to hope and pray for a turnover or a lucky drop in a key situation. That annoys me greatly, hence why I haven't played online yet.

Somewhere, the devil gods of EA are smiling at the fact that you're so annoyed that you're continuing to waste your time repeatedly posting your angst in this thread. You're letting EA win bro, lol.

I OU a Beatn
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Somewhere, the devil gods of EA are smiling at the fact that you're so annoyed that you're continuing to waste your time repeatedly posting your angst in this thread. You're letting EA win bro, lol.

I'd be letting EA win if I actually allowed myself to play online and get annoyed. As long as I don't play online, I wont get annoyed. :D

That's why I've been sitting in practice mode fine tuning my offense for if/when EA offers up some kind of fix for some of the defensive problems.

Either that or I'll just use Florida or Oregon if I play online. I'm confident I could luck into at least one stop with them (I want to use Texas Tech, but getting a stop with that secondary against someone semi-intelligent would be impossible) and their respective offenses are so damn good that with a no huddle offense, I don't think I'd have much trouble scoring.

jwallace0317
07-11-2013, 01:15 AM
I'd be letting EA win if I actually allowed myself to play online and get annoyed. As long as I don't play online, I wont get annoyed. :D

That's why I've been sitting in practice mode fine tuning my offense for if/when EA offers up some kind of fix for some of the defensive problems.

Either that or I'll just use Florida or Oregon if I play online. I'm confident I could luck into at least one stop with them (I want to use Texas Tech, but getting a stop with that secondary against someone semi-intelligent would be impossible) and their respective offenses are so damn good that with a no huddle offense, I don't think I'd have much trouble scoring.

Yeah, I figured despite the tough talk you'd leave the door open to playing the game online even if there's no fix from EA, complete with uploading game vids as well. You've done the same thing for years, why break the pattern now? Lol

I OU a Beatn
07-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I figured despite the tough talk you'd leave the door open to playing the game online even if there's no fix from EA, complete with uploading game vids as well. You've done the same thing for years, why break the pattern now? Lol

Never closed the door. I've also never questioned playing online before this year, so I'm not sure what you're even talking about when you say "you've done the same thing for years." :dunno:

dhook27
07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Guys be mature about this:D

dhook27
07-11-2013, 01:29 AM
He doesnt have a youtube channel so no offense u sounded like an idiot when you said "uploading" and why do you care whether he plays online or not? Sounds to me that you are trolling.

I OU a Beatn
07-11-2013, 01:33 AM
He doesnt have a youtube channel so no offense u sounded like an idiot when you said "uploading" and why do you care whether he plays online or not? Sounds to me that you are trolling.

I do have a YT channel, but I'm probably not going to be uploading any videos even if I do play online. Way too time consuming for me right now.

dhook27
07-11-2013, 01:35 AM
I do have a YT channel, but I'm probably not going to be uploading any videos even if I do play online. Way too time consuming for me right now.
Well i meant active:D

jwallace0317
07-11-2013, 02:13 AM

Easy does it, lol. Get your facts straight before you drop the troll allegation, because that crap just makes you the troll bruh :)

bdoughty
07-11-2013, 04:41 AM
Easy does it, lol. Get your facts straight before you drop the troll allegation, because that crap just makes you the troll bruh :)

http://i.imgur.com/DbrBw7u.gif

AustinWolv
07-11-2013, 07:23 AM

:+1:

PDOGEMP 8
07-13-2013, 12:45 AM
just lost to Purdue because their QB had All Day to Throw the Ball, i can't get a Pass Rush at all.

ltlgas321
07-13-2013, 12:15 PM
What I don't get is every once in a while, while playing the CPU, the computer will lock up on me in man to man. Literally every one of my receivers will be draped in coverage leaving me nowhere to throw. This happens once or twice per game to me. Even against bad teams.

Yet, I never lock up an opponent when I run man, even with far more talented and higher ranked players. There is alway someone, usually two guys, running free. I know that the game will allow for there to be lock down coverage because I see it happen against me. But never for me. Really sucks to know that you have made the correct call and executed but are completely helpless to stop it.

PeteyKirch
07-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Just had an awkward game last night using Rutgers against Pittsburgh, I don't know if the fact it was in a pouring heavy rain, but I held Pitt to 1-9 passing for 40 yards. Tom Savage looked rattled for most of the game cause I kept sending the house, he had quite a few overthrows. I don't know how the PITT playbook is set up, but I found it hysterical they kept trying to run the read option with him, and that's why he left Rutgers, sort of (Wild Cat/Knight usage), and he left Arizona because of the system Rich Rod brought there, and now he's at PITT and he's forced to be totally out of his element running the read option. I won 24-0, PITT just couldn't get anything started, they had a decent first series, and then my defense went on lockdown and I emphasized the ball control rushing attack between Huggins/James/Burton.

MrToo Brand New
07-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Again, when I say the defense is pathetic I mean in online games. I'm sure the computer as defense and also can be stopped. I usually love to online games but this game is a joke. When you play every game is a shoot out. You have to play defense to force turnovers not get stops on downs. Pop Warner football players have better defensive awareness, coverage ability, and hands than the DBs in this game. The only way to get consistant stops is to use illegitimate tactics like nano blitzes and *** D.

PDOGEMP 8
07-13-2013, 02:21 PM
i have my MLB to Spy the QB but the QB still runs right by him and my MLB does nothing to stop him.

PDOGEMP 8
07-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Good to know cause i have to play PITT

ram29jackson
07-13-2013, 02:33 PM
i have my MLB to Spy the QB but the QB still runs right by him and my MLB does nothing to stop him.

its all the cutting and turning they gave the offensive players. The defenders don't have physical counters or the programmed awareness/reaction time is slower/lowered :dunno:

PDOGEMP 8
07-13-2013, 03:45 PM
MSU HB Nick Hill just carried Louis Nix on his back for 20 Yards for the 1st Down

bdoughty
07-13-2013, 05:32 PM
its all the cutting and turning they gave the offensive players. The defenders don't have physical counters or the programmed awareness/reaction time is slower/lowered :dunno:

That and they simply wont get off their blocks. Off course they continue yapping about how great the o-line blocking is (ex professional lineman at the helm). Throw in the new running game and the defense is screwed. Now they need to hire ex-pro linebacker and D-Lineman so they can try to balance this stuff out for next year. :fp: I have no issue with the game being more offensive and the read option hard to stop. That is the trend in the real game. I just hate seeing every one of my defenders locked up on a block. It is like every single lineman and receiver has the blocking ability if Anthony Munoz.

ram29jackson
07-14-2013, 06:58 AM
6:30 mark LOL

he likes the game but hates these moments..and he's funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnfGrVFsU-o

I OU a Beatn
07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Played an Ultimate Team game online since you have to for the achievements. 10/11 for 198 and 2 TDs along with 12 carries for 112 yards and 31 points in a 12 minute game. Only reason I won was because I milked the clock the entire 4th quarter to ensure I got the last possession. Anyone who thinks that defense can be played against someone who knows what they're doing simply hasn't played the right person yet. I wasn't even close to being stopped and I sure as hell wasn't close to stopping my opponent either.

PeteyKirch
07-15-2013, 08:45 AM
The "numbers" show a defensive struggle but it was far from one.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7298/9290649139_ec3d56dfcb_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7420/9290648543_ae7c3172f1_z.jpg

Only 1 punt, yeah I was using 5 minute quarters, but it seemed at times UConn as unstoppable converting every 3rd and Long.

prime9
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
6:30 mark LOL

he likes the game but hates these moments..and he's funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnfGrVFsU-o

Hilarious lol

FSU
07-17-2013, 07:15 AM
NCAA 2009 was the game with the worst defense. LOL This game is leap years ahead of that one on defense. 2006 version of the game comes to mind too. The game just came out everyone will eventually get better and be able to play better defense. I'm enjoying playing defense in the coordinator cam currently.

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 07:29 AM
NCAA 2009 was the game with the worst defense. LOL This game is leap years ahead of that one on defense. 2006 version of the game comes to mind too. The game just came out everyone will eventually get better and be able to play better defense. I'm enjoying playing defense in the coordinator cam currently.Wasn't that the version you could simply call zone and put controller down? Due to super zone coverage

Either that one or the previous version with the Boise State QB on cover.

This version's Defense is non-existent

Oneback
07-17-2013, 08:06 AM
This version's Defense is non-existent

This! Played a game last night and against g, and defense in this game is driving me insane - I literally wanted to punch babies during the game. Off man coverage get's roasted, so you end up playing press most of the time, not really a problem for me, but zones are ridiculous, they always have been but for whatever reason this year it takes the cake. I feel like I can play the running game pretty well until the other user shows the ability to throw the ball consistently, and let's be honest if you can fog a mirror you should be able to throw the ball consistently, then my entire defense goes to shit.

Granted I've only played 10 games of NCAA 14 as I've been busy with other things but my goodness, playing defense in this game is one of my least favorite things to do in a video game ever and I enjoy playing good defense.

FSU
07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
2008 was the version with super zone. I hated that version. 2009 was the one were you could rush for 500 yards in one game.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Didn't '12 have super zones until it was patched?

Kwizzy
07-17-2013, 11:59 AM
This! Played a game last night and against g, and defense in this game is driving me insane - I literally wanted to punch babies during the game. Off man coverage get's roasted, so you end up playing press most of the time, not really a problem for me, but zones are ridiculous, they always have been but for whatever reason this year it takes the cake. I feel like I can play the running game pretty well until the other user shows the ability to throw the ball consistently, and let's be honest if you can fog a mirror you should be able to throw the ball consistently, then my entire defense goes to shit.

Granted I've only played 10 games of NCAA 14 as I've been busy with other things but my goodness, playing defense in this game is one of my least favorite things to do in a video game ever and I enjoy playing good defense.

This is spot on. I actually haven't played against a person yet because I know it would piss me off.

While it's refreshing to have a challenge against the CPU for a change, it's infuriating the way it happens. Defense needs to be completely overhauled in my opinion. Not just the way it plays, but also the way you call each play and adjust it at the LOS.

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah it's been pretty frustrating. Nothing like feeling excited getting an Offense to 3rd down and knowing already that you are going to give up a 1st down before play is even selected.

In my game with G, there was a little defense..but it didn't help that was my first user game of the version. Then on the flip side I think I literally ran past him carrying the ball or his slightest movement made me dive in the complete opposite direction.

A friend of mine has played about of games and says all he is seeing people run is press man...because well zone is attrocious and press man when it works...will damn near stone wall your WR's at the LOS almost the duration of the play.

Oneback
07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah it's been pretty frustrating. Nothing like feeling excited getting an Offense to 3rd down and knowing already that you are going to give up a 1st down before play is even selected.

In my game with G, there was a little defense..but it didn't help that was my first user game of the version. Then on the flip side I think I literally ran past him carrying the ball or his slightest movement made me dive in the complete opposite direction.

A friend of mine has played about of games and says all he is seeing people run is press man...because well zone is attrocious and press man when it works...will damn near stone wall your WR's at the LOS almost the duration of the play.

Yeah - thats the problem with running press, it's no where near being realistic. I really hope sliders or a patch are able to fix this issue to some degree or there will be a lot of Online Dynasties that suffer. I'm sure there's something out there that will work but I haven't had a lot of time to lab stuff, just been playing random games from time to time at this point.

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah - thats the problem with running press, it's no where near being realistic. I really hope sliders or a patch are able to fix this issue to some degree or there will be a lot of Online Dynasties that suffer. I'm sure there's something out there that will work but I haven't had a lot of time to lab stuff, just been playing random games from time to time at this point.You probably could have some defense against me...I'm terrible lol

Seen your game against Papa, need to get a game in with you sometime man.

Those 18 different versions of the option you ran would have drove me crazy haha

I OU a Beatn
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Press man doesn't even work. There are several formations that have a ton of routes that can't be pressed, so you're just inviting the DB to get beat even worse than he would have without press. Like I said, in all my years of playing this series, I have never seen such consistently horrific defense. It's just plain non-existent. The regular pass rush sucks, blitz angles suck, zone sucks, man sucks, I mean...literally every single aspect of defense has something vastly wrong with it. I honestly don't believe all the patches in the world could fix it, either.

CLW
07-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Press man doesn't even work. There are several formations that have a ton of routes that can't be pressed, so you're just inviting the DB to get beat even worse than he would have without press. Like I said, in all my years of playing this series, I have never seen such consistently horrific defense. It's just plain non-existent. The regular pass rush sucks, blitz angles suck, zone sucks, man sucks, I mean...literally every single aspect of defense has something vastly wrong with it. I honestly don't believe all the patches in the world could fix it, either.

Well the ONLY struggles I have had is against press in NUT East Room games where the player just has better players than I do. I haven't really found the play/plays to just smoke them with that defense yet. They usually mix it cover 2, cover 1, all out blitz but its ALWAYS bump and run coverage across the board and my receivers struggle getting off the press.

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
They usually mix it cover 2, cover 1, all out blitz but its ALWAYS bump and run coverage across the board and my receivers struggle getting off the press.That is what my friend was telling me. Not press all the time, but combining with blitzes and the times you get where your receivers don't make it off LOS..it works effectively.

Guess more than zone does.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 01:15 PM

you're a straight player and rely on the press ? that lasts like 3 seconds in some cases.

"punch babies "

http://www.jayceeroosters.com/old-site/images/smiley_surprise.gif
shame on you,shame, shame,shame

ryby6969
07-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Right now the only hope on defense vs someone who is remotely competent is to force a turnover and Cpu controlled DB's drop so many it almost has to be a user pick. If you start to get momentum, then you can start to play SOME defense because the pass rush seems to work better, but otherwise it is a crap shoot.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
the last 2 years it seemed to me the game had some sort of percentage logic if someone kept trying to convert 4th downs. The game would eventually say-you cant take that many chances and you would fail in abusing it. 3RD n long and 4th down passes seem much easier to do now like what ever coding that is got imbalanced :confused:

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 02:11 PM
3RD n long and 4th down passes seem much easier to do now like what ever coding that is got imbalanced :confused:Well neither NCAA or Madden has been programmed for the AI to treat those type of downs as crucial as they are in real life.

Or on the goalline for that matter.

I've always been wanting to see the AI treat a 4th down like they are really treated in real life.

As of now and in the past they have been treated just like 1st and 2nd downs were...with the only person really knowing what down it was is the actual user.

There isn't any urgency in regards to the way the AI is programmed though..atleast that I've been able to tell my time playing both series.

Oneback
07-17-2013, 03:44 PM
you're a straight player and rely on the press ? that lasts like 3 seconds in some cases.

"punch babies "

shame on you,shame, shame,shame

Unfortunately, I don't rely on press man, that's why it drives me insane. Also, no babies were harmed in the playing of NCAA.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 03:47 PM
:D

CLW
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
You guys just remember this in the TGT tourny next time. DEFENSE better receive 100% of all votes in EVERY match up in route to the most dominating performance in history.

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 04:22 PM
You guys just remember this in the TGT tourny next time. DEFENSE better receive 100% of all votes in EVERY match up in route to the most dominating performance in history.

Custom socks

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 04:39 PM

the sim crowd has always pumped defence but its obvious that defense has gotten worse and not better as time went on.

Defense might win championships but it wont sell football video games :D

AustinWolv
07-17-2013, 04:53 PM

I was voting the shit out of it last time, but y'all wanted stupid shit like coaching reality shows/fantasy stuff.

:P

CLW
07-17-2013, 04:55 PM
I was voting the shit out of it last time, but y'all wanted stupid shit like coaching reality shows/fantasy stuff.

NOT me. I'm the LEADER of the "improve the damn defense" crowd. Ever since "wide open gameplay" "feature" there has been ZERO defense in the game and its [censored] up beyond belief.

oweb26
07-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AustinWolv
07-17-2013, 05:01 PM
NOT me. I'm the LEADER of the "improve the damn defense" crowd. Ever since "wide open gameplay" "feature" there has been ZERO defense in the game and its [censored] up beyond belief.

I didn't vote you the leader and thus nullify your silly notion. Revolt! :P

skipwondah33
07-17-2013, 07:50 PM

lmao haha

I voted for everything related to gameplay

No coaching carousel, skill points, recruiting calls lol

souljahbill
07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
What even won last year?

steelerfan
07-17-2013, 08:38 PM
What even won last year?

I'm pretty sure it was Season Mode.

;)

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

ram29jackson
07-17-2013, 08:38 PM
What even won last year?

good question :)

TIMB0B
07-20-2013, 02:01 PM

When is it? I'd like to provide input.

CLW
07-21-2013, 02:08 PM
When is it? I'd like to provide input.

They usually do it a month or so after release my memory is fuzzy but it won't be long my guess is it will be started by October at the latest.

TIMB0B
07-24-2013, 12:30 PM
They usually do it a month or so after release my memory is fuzzy but it won't be long my guess is it will be started by October at the latest.

Okay, thanks

ajw18
07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWqcmwuJ0A
worse defense

TIMB0B
07-27-2013, 10:48 AM
worse defense

C'mon, that's Bo Jackson. His highlight reel is almost identical.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
worse defense

i could only imagine the forums if this were NCAA 14... smh... tecmo bowl ftw

supersigmaof21
08-04-2013, 09:09 AM
i could only imagine the forums if this were NCAA 14... smh... tecmo bowl ftw

W O W!!!

bdoughty
08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
I would say to my future self, HAHA... My game has First Down markers does yours? No? Suck it future self.

skipwondah33
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
This was from NCAA 09 I found. Pretty sure Defense was pretty good this version..well atleast stuff like this. This guy would get pressure like this all the time.

it was who I mentioned earlier in this thread about press and getting pressure nearly at anytime in our OD games.

http://youtu.be/zQLJfgXbmD8

Good lord

SmoothPancakes
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Jesus Christ the offensive line was atrocious in 09. One versus three, and the two guards and center never make a single attempt to try and pick up the ONE defender. :fp:

I'm not sure I'd so much say that there was defense in '09, but rather a brain-dead offensive line, based on that video.

skipwondah33
08-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Jesus Christ the offensive line was atrocious in 09. One versus three, and the two guards and center never make a single attempt to try and pick up the ONE defender. :fp:

I'm not sure I'd so much say that there was defense in '09, but rather a brain-dead offensive line, based on that video.Between this stuff and the guy's man press..hyper active Defense

I recall Defense being very much in the game.

Escobar
08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
That is a glitch in the matrix, not good defense.

skipwondah33
08-05-2013, 11:59 AM
That is a glitch in the matrix, not good defense.Aside from that stuff, still was able to play better Defense that version than this one easily lol

ram29jackson
08-05-2013, 11:41 PM
I am sick of this..."the first tackle never succeeds" crap. It happens too much.

and watching a lineman or a LB run into a QB who's just standing there and all the defender does is fall down :down: