PDA

View Full Version : NCAA 14 coach progression speed tests

jello1717
07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Since we cannot change the progression speed setting once a dynasty starts, it's important to get this right. I initially thought I'd want the "slowest" setting, but I'm now sure that'd be too slow so I tested both normal and slow. My data spreadsheet is located here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar4-5k-YV0dLdFFHX1l3WjNLbFNBUmxRQVBqZkJHZlE&usp=sharing

I only used a 6* Michigan team in my normal tests and won a couple of Heismans, several BCS bowls, and even a national championship so this should be near the ceiling on normal speed.
Because each "next" level requires more XP than the previous one, you level up faster at the beginning. In the 1st season I gained 9 levels, but I gained 4 every season after that except for 1 where I got 5. I only tested normal for 6 seasons as it should be safe to assume that it'll be 4 levels every year.

For my "slow" test I used 3* Illinois, 4* Iowa, 5* Wisconsin, and 6* Michigan. Again year 1 was big with 6-7 levels gained for each coach. After year 1 Iowa averaged 2 lvls per year, Wisconsin 2.3 and Michigan 2.7 (helped by a huge 4 lvl increase in a year where they won the Heisman and national championship).

(For reference, you need 21 points in a tree to get the highest tier skill in that tree, 23 points to max out that top tier skill, 42 points to get the top tier skill from both trees)
With these settings, you should reach these skill milestones by these seasons:
LVL 21 - during season 4 on NORMAL - during season 7 on SLOW
LVL 30 - by season 7 on NORMAL- by season 12 on SLOW
LVL 42 - by season 10 on NORMAL - by season 18 on SLOW

NOTES:
This was all simmed and XP was gained based on simmed stats. If you're gonna stat whore then you could gain more XP.
Given Michigan's success on normal, that should be about the ceiling unless you stat whore a lot.
I didn't test with lower than 3* schools and all of the coaches had at least moderate success.

jaymo76
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Very interesting. I have been considering slow but now I may stay on normal.

steelerfan
07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I think my biggest question (assuming I get the game) will be what speed to use based on the coach I use. I always use real coaches. I'll likely do a Dynasty with the Irish using Brian Kelly. I may use slow for him since he will already have a good skill set. If I do a second Dynasty it would likely be with a crap school who has a new head coach (one with no prior HC experience). In that case, I will definitely use normal.

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

SCClassof93
07-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I checked the coach stats the other night and lvl 32 is the highest in the game to start. SC, Bama, Va. Tech, Texas coaches are tops and maybe one other. Mark Richt has had 13 good seasons at UGA and is a 31. Based on this and your study Jello I am going with slowest. Not sure how many minutes per quarter yet...but that will be an influence too. I just don't want to play 10 seasons on normal and be way ahead of Richt or the other guys. Plus, when you get those later points it will be an achievement and imho add to the game rather than overpower it.

The Knee
07-08-2013, 09:37 AM
i agree sc. looks to be most realistic at slowest. im starting as a OC at a 1 star so im wondering how much harder it will be to move up. might have to use slow just for that reason. its still 60 year dynasty right?

jaymo76
07-09-2013, 03:01 AM
I have played three games and I am at level three. I am using normal. I'm not worried about it since it increases each level to go up.

JeffHCross
07-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I checked the coach stats the other night and lvl 32 is the highest in the game to start. SC, Bama, Va. Tech, Texas coaches are tops and maybe one other. Mark Richt has had 13 good seasons at UGA and is a 31. Based on this and your study Jello I am going with slowest. Not sure how many minutes per quarter yet...but that will be an influence too. I just don't want to play 10 seasons on normal and be way ahead of Richt or the other guys. Plus, when you get those later points it will be an achievement and imho add to the game rather than overpower it. Wouldn't the CPU coaches be progressing while you are?

SCClassof93
07-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Wouldn't the CPU coaches be progressing while you are?

Sorry Jeff, what I meant to say was I would not want to play ten seasons (starting one star) and progress way beyond where a real HC is/was at a comparable time. Richt has had a good 13 years at UGA and I would not want to start at UMASS as a OC and six seasons later be a 31 or something like that. From what I could tell in two attempts the other coaches do progress. Sadly, OD has had enough bugs to cause me to put the game on hold until a patch:fp:

prime9
07-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Sorry Jeff, what I meant to say was I would not want to play ten seasons (starting one star) and progress way beyond where a real HC is/was at a comparable time. Richt has had a good 13 years at UGA and I would not want to start at UMASS as a OC and six seasons later be a 31 or something like that. From what I could tell in two attempts the other coaches do progress. Sadly, OD has had enough bugs to cause me to put the game on hold until a patch:fp:

What bugs have you noticed in the OD's?

SCClassof93
07-23-2013, 04:48 PM
What bugs have you noticed in the OD's?

#1 Two players both start at level 1 and as OC's. After two seasons both get offers as HC's and both except. During the reassign your points phase I was a level 5 and I only got one point to reassign, the other four points vanished. Both of my new coordinators came in at 0. A screen kept popping up that I was now a level 5, like the computer knew I should have points yet none were available. Screen showed level 5 but I had only 1 point.

#2 Several crashes at conclusion of OD games for both players.

#3 The oddest is I finished a game, exited and the "commissioner has made changes, you must exit etc" screen popped up. Odd, I am the commish but okay exit. Game nor xp saves. Thus ending my OD attempts unless/until a second patch.

I have had zero issues in offline dynasty and enjoy the game enough to keep it and play this......

souljahbill
07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm playing as an OC at UL-Lafayette and its near the end of year 2 on slow progression. I'll be a 7 when the season ends. It's SLOW. No way will I ever max out a tree which is good but damn is it slow.